• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has a games story ever made you cry before?

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Multiple times, no shame in saying it.

Most recently in Like a Dragon Gaiden. Had to follow up with my man Kiryu.

That scene is so fucking human, specially if you've played all the previous games.

Sad Kazuma Kiryu GIF by Xbox

Last edited:

Allandor

I guess the first time was FF VII (the original). I don't remember if there was any other.

Nowadays you ruch touch through a game I guess.

Last edited:

SHA

Babes dying in Duke Nukem 3D and they don't even care, that's strange and horrific to put stuff like that in video games.

cireza

Certainly not cried but there were a few that left a strong feeling of "fuck it, this is so sad and unfair".

Here are a few a that come to mind :
Nier Automata
Phantasy Star IV
Final Fantasy XV

And otherwise, VNs or anime/movies of course. Steins Gate, Berserk and Kara no Kyoukai to name a few. This is an anime but the ending of the fifth movie from Kara no Kyoukai (Paradox Spiral) is probably the one that gets me the most. This series is an absolute masterpiece and my favorite anime by far. All 8 movies are a must watch.

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member

Something about these credits and this song. As a kid I actually comprehended the text logs left behind by Rico, and understood what that meant during the Dark Falz fight.

Excellent story telling.

digdug2

The ending for Red Dead 2 really got me. I had a feeling it would end the way it did, considering some characters weren't in (or even mentioned in) RDR1... but damn that ending hit hard.

Hmm... we've had a similar thread last year so this time around I think I'll list just the games I've played in the past 5 years that got me emotional and/or ugly cry.

Ugly cry:
  • Life is Strange
  • Life is Strange 2
  • Nier Automata
  • Kingdom Hearts 3
  • Final Fantasy VII Remake
  • Everybody's Gone To The Rapture
  • Titanfall 2

Emotionally moved:
  • Red Dead Redemption 2
  • The Last of Us Part I
  • The Last of Us Part II
  • Final Fantasy XV
  • AI: The Somnium Files
  • Horizon Zero Dawn
  • Gravity Rush 2
  • Destiny 2
  • 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim
  • The Witcher 3: Hearts of Stone
  • The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt – Blood and Wine
  • Stray
  • Haven
  • Life Is Strange Before the Storm
  • Persona 5 Royal
  • Ni no Kuni Wrath of the White Witch
  • Returnal
  • Maquette
  • Gris
  • Death Stranding
  • Uncharted 4: A Thief's End
  • What Remains of Edith Finch
Damn, there's quite a lot of games I've listed lol, but they all made me emotionally invested in some way or another. ^^

Last edited:

sigmaZ

Yes. But it's pretty rare these days. Obviously I was more emotional as a teenager so it was easier.
Wild Arms's (the original) ending used to always get me teary eyed as well as the Chrono Trigger music, but a big part of that was the music.

radewagon

Don’t get me wrong I think Part 1 has one of the best stories in this medium (not a particularly high bar either), but the intro never did much for me. Maybe because if you had seen any game material at all pre-release or even just the game cover what was gonna happen was beyond obvious.
Pretty sure we all knew what was coming. I certainly did. I guess what hit like a ton of bricks was the fidelity of emotion. Up until that point, I don't think any game had really nailed the writing, directing, acting, sound design, and (most of all) visual fidelity needed to sell what the characters were emoting. I know I'd seen characters be sad, in pain, scared, worried, hopeless, etc, and I wasn't expecting this time to be any different. More animated robots pantomiming human emotions but darned if this wasn't the first time I believed the fiction. Like, yeah man, I bought it. That girl is scared and in pain and that man's heart just tore open.

Last of Us was an unprecedented technical marvel and it used its graphical leaps to tell a story that was more affecting than what was previously possible. Probably why I think it's funny when people say graphics don't matter. Yeah, guys, they matter.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Never once cried, same with movies etc, but I have been moved and got the odd lump in my throat so I'm not a totally emotionless husk but then again I'm also not some cunt whose gonna gurn over a videogame

Shut0wen

Never cried but felt emotions with the intro to the last of us and gears 3 with dom, dom hit the hardest though, shed a tear defeating fiend murai at the end end of ninja gaiden black, a tear of pure hatred because hes such a cheap cunt

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
No.

Like, people are actually CRYING? I find it hard to believe.

The writing/acting/performances in games are literally never believable enough for me to be fully engaged enough to actively cry in a game. not even close to the level of emotional films.

I have only even felt real emotion in like 1 game ever, the one in my avatar. But... not. even. close. to tears.

People crying over The Last of Us intro?? How many times have you seen that exact same shit in a movie? Seriously? Crying over a character you spend like 5 minutes with?

Are you guys really crying in shit like Final Fantasy? The Witcher 3, Kingdom Hearts and fucking Metal Gear Solid? Foreal?
francis.png
mjlol.png
mjlol.png
mjlol.png

Last edited:

Shut0wen

Definitely geared up at:

Bioshock Infinite - the ending
Death Stranding - multiple parts during the last 45 minutes of the game
The Last of Us Part 1 - multiple parts
Nier/Nier Automata - multiple parts
Night in the Woods - multiple parts
Persona 4 - the ending
Resident Evil Revelations 2 - Barry revealing why Moira grew distant from him
The Walking Dead Season 1 - the ending
Wait what exactly was sad in bioshock infinte?

No.

Like, people are actually CRYING? I find it hard to believe.

The writing/acting/performances in games are literally never believable enough for me to be fully engaged enough to actively cry in a game. not even close to the level of emotional films.

I have only even felt real emotion in like 1 game ever, the one in my avatar. But... not. even. close. to tears.

People crying over The Last of Us intro?? How many times have you seen that exact same shit in a movie? Seriously? Crying over a character you spend like 5 minutes with?

Are you guys really crying in shit like Final Fantasy? The Witcher 3, Kingdom Hearts and fucking Metal Gear Solid? Foreal?
francis.png
mjlol.png
mjlol.png
mjlol.png
Boy, I cried at the end of Link's Awakening. On Game Boy. You don't need good acting or performance to be emotionally involved. Even poor writing can lead to some tears. All it takes is some relatability with one's personal experience.

Last edited:

ReyBrujo

I might have blinked several times to clear my eyes when I reached the point in SNES' Breath of Fire 2 where they force you to sacrifice one of your characters because you have became so attached to each of them. Or when Celes attempts suicide after Cid dies in FF3. Recently I felt a knot in my throat while playing Opus: Rocket of Wishes while discovering some of the stories behind the souls wandering around like the fireman.

Top Bottom