• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has the word "masterpiece" lost it's meaning in the modern gaming landscape?

Has it truly lost its meaning in regards to gaming?

• Total voters

MacReady13

Masterpiece gets thrown around FAR too often today. God Of War Ragnarok a masterpiece? Please. The story is fine for a video game but nothing special compared to other mediums, hence why we need to stop trying to make video games into films. I need to remain in control of the game, and not have to stop every 5 minutes to progress a fucking story!

I’d rather put something like Returnal ahead of Ragnarok in the masterpiece stakes due to the fact it’s actually a video game I control and it’s actually more fun to PLAY! Story wise it’s mysterious which I prefer but that’s obviously subjective.

Anyway, gaming was better in the days of gameplay and control over your character as opposed to games trying to be films.

I distinctly remember people constantly having this same argument on video games forums throughout the seventh gen.
And yes, I do feel that ''masterpiece'' is a word that is generally abused by players to describe games, especially when it comes to new and hot releases.

Fabieter

Masterpiece gets thrown around FAR too often today. God Of War Ragnarok a masterpiece? Please. The story is fine for a video game but nothing special compared to other mediums, hence why we need to stop trying to make video games into films. I need to remain in control of the game, and not have to stop every 5 minutes to progress a fucking story!

I’d rather put something like Returnal ahead of Ragnarok in the masterpiece stakes due to the fact it’s actually a video game I control and it’s actually more fun to PLAY! Story wise it’s mysterious which I prefer but that’s obviously subjective.

Anyway, gaming was better in the days of gameplay and control over your character as opposed to games trying to be films.

Replaying a lot of old games shows that games were way worse in the past on average. Some people just talking about nostalgia.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
There is nothing even remotely "Masterpiece" about God of War: Ragnarok. It's basically modern Video games: The video game. Every single aspect of God of War: Ragnarok is focus tested to a T and specifically designed to be as mainstream as possible. It's nothing more than a collection of over overexaggerated characters walking around in "epic" locations and set pieces while they bore you with marvel-like dialogue and exposition.

To ensure the game doesn't become an entire bore fest, the game throws meaningless collectibles and shallow RPG mechanics at the player, while occasionally letting the player take part in what can at best be described as mid combat mixed up with professor Layton puzzles.

God of War: Ragnarok isn't a masterpiece. It's a competently factory produced product.
Those "meaningless collectibles" are used to upgrade your gear for later bosses like Berserkers and GNA and there's nothing "mid" about God of War Ragnarok's combat 🤦‍♂️

Also, it's a masterpiece 🔥

Last edited:

Rykan

Those "meaningless collectibles" are used to upgrade your gear for later bosses like Berserkers and GNA and there's nothing "mid" about God of War Ragnarok's combat 🤦‍♂️

Also, it's a masterpiece 🔥
Putting collectibles on a mostly linear path is completely pointless. They can literally give you your "upgrades" for free at certain parts of the story and the experience wouldn't change one bit. It's completely pointless and the only reason it's there so that you press circle at chests so you can feel "rewarded".

I think I was being quite generous by calling GoW: Ragnarok's combat mid but I can certainly understand why someone would consider it "bad" instead. Then again, the goal of GoW: Ragnarok isn't to have good combat: it's just there to be "Cinematic".

Fabieter

I mean if you dont explore you will find like 10% of all collectable. Dont get all the hate with "cinematic" games. What are great games/masterpieces?

MagnesD3

God of War Ragnarok is objectively a masterpiece anyone suggesting otherwise is pretty fucking stupid.
Ragnatok no... but with 2018 you at least have an argument since I do believe that game is truly amazing. The only reason I struggle to give 2018 masterpiece status is because it isn't as good in some important areas some of its earlier games in the series were.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Putting collectibles on a mostly linear path is completely pointless. They can literally give you your "upgrades" for free at certain parts of the story and the experience wouldn't change one bit. It's completely pointless and the only reason it's there so that you press circle at chests so you can feel "rewarded".

I think I was being quite generous by calling GoW: Ragnarok's combat mid but I can certainly understand why someone would consider it "bad" instead. Then again, the goal of GoW: Ragnarok isn't to have good combat: it's just there to be "Cinematic".
Hilarious

Flutta

Banned
Sekiro is a masterpiece so is Bloodborne.

GOWR not even close.

But yeah i agree. This word is used more often than not sadly.

Last edited:
In a sense, yes.

All it takes in the modern day is a collective of game reviewers to gush about a game hard enough. Followed by slapping a bunch of 10s onto it to persuade the public opinion into believing its a "masterpiece". This is regardless of how conceptually stagnant it may be. Very few modern games try to differentiate themselves or attempt something new these days. Yet they can still manage to get top marks. Those that do try to differentiate themselves aren't high budget 95%~ of the time.

Modern day big budget games have become way too formulaic to qualify for such a prestige.

Yes.

"Masterpieces" today are not FFVII, MGS, UT99, Diablo 2, Morrowind, KotOR, HL2 and SotC.

10s of today are early 2000's 8s.

Try and make sense out of that. If it doesn't make any sense then you're either too young or too dumb.
Dude has a point.

Not many games these days qualify as "revolutionary" or "ground breaking" to strike a legitimate hard-to-obtain 10 or whatever. Then again, review scales have been randomized number generators for a long time and reflected nothing, but the personal resonance of a given reviewer.

Last edited:

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Hobbygaming Hobbygaming it's a great bit about how words used to mean/represent something. Hearing Hilarious always makes me think of this bit. Hope you enjoyed it <3

"Running the hate recorder" .. gotta love it

Last edited:
Top Bottom