• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has there ever been more riding on a single presentation than the upcoming Xbox Series games presentation?

Vawn

Banned
Because I can't think of one.

Microsoft has been building expectations that the perception of the Xbox not having many system-selling quality exclusives will be changing for years now.

There are have been a lot of promises and raised expectations built since Spencer took over the head of Xbox. They have asked for patience as they promised it will all be turning "soon".

It has all seemed to have built up for this. PS5 stole all the momentum Xbox was working to slowly build up with Series X in the blink of an eye. The PS5 showcase was an absolute deluge of games.

But, for the first time I can remember, Xbox gets to play their hand last. Do you guys think they hit on all the games they've spent the last several years creating?

While, I don't think it is realistic for Xbox to outsell PS5 worldwide, if they have the software and price advantage, I think it could be much closer to the PS360 days than either of the other generations. But, in my opinion, they HAVE to knock this July showcase out of the park.

Last edited:
I'd say the first Xbox OG being introduced, the console with Xbox Live was a huge deal and so were launch titles from this behemoth of a windows/office/browser company that the world at the time largely hated. I don't think so much rides on Xbox this time, they have their ducks in a row big time this go around.

This idea that Sony or Xbox completely steal the show or kill the other console off is stupid and way off base. They're both going to sell a shit ton of consoles, games, accessories, subscriptions and value add services next gen.

Mr Moose

As long as they show games running on Series X, it'll be fine. They have their showcase games (Halo, Forza and stuff) and hopefully a Perfect Dark game.
Should be fun.
BUT they absolutely cannot use PC footage or no gameplay like before.
I am looking forward to it.

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
They certainly need to show off the strength of their console with some extremely impressive next gen graphics, otherwise I feel their slogan and marketing "the world's most powerful console" will come back and bite them in the ass. It kinda already backfired with their last presentation.

And Halo Infinite needs to be the best of the best. It's no other way around it. It's been touted as the second coming now, five years in development and savior of Xbox. If it goes down in flames it will be very embarrassing for Microsoft. It's the biggest launch title in a very long time so it needs to blow us out of the water.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Good thing ,you have to write this, to ensure if the boys feel same as you.... Only just because Xbox shows so far almost zero fucking nothing. One trailer and spec, which was created by youtubers? Damn.

I can predict what users are going to be there in a minute with professional thesis why are you right. So I'm out.

Rolla

Banned
I want XBOX at the top of their game. They have to bring it and by "IT" I mean new AAA ip. Halo / Gears / Forza are not the ip they used to be and I know some will take offence by that statement but that doesn't make the statement any less true.

My fear is that I see a lot of tittles that look like Everwild and grounded. Bright, texture free, and ploygon free GP fodder.

But if they can bring the heat I'll bring the big bucks and pick up a series X day 1.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
As long as they show gameplay trailers running off of Series X, eliminate any AA/kids stuff and just focus on the AAA games (exclusives and multi-platform) that the vast majority want to see, they will be just fine.

Vawn

Banned
This idea that Sony or Xbox completely steal the show or kill the other console off is stupid and way off base. They're both going to sell a shit ton of consoles, games, accessories, subscriptions and value add services next gen.

I agree and I don't think either is in danger of being eliminated from the industry.

But these first impressions are huge and can results in paving out the next 7 years or so. The missteps of 2013 played a huge part in Xbox selling 50 million units instead of 80 or 90. Just like that early hype started a ball rolling that led PS4 to selling probably 110+ million instead of "just" 80 or so.

Mr Moose

I do though. More games at Microsofts 3rd party showing interested me more. Thats just my taste. I'm not really into all the cartoony stuff, which made up like 60% of Sony's showing.
I was about to slap you because the games shown looked very good but I get what you are saying now. R&C and some of the indies looked a bit cartoony (which I love, mostly, except for maybe the furry game, fuck knows what that was... But if it ends up being good I'll get it lol).
They have that plane sim for realistic graphics, though I hope you can turn the CA effect off. When is the next Horizon due? They are always impressive graphically.

Danny 117

No ifs no buts - 343 has had more than enough time. Halo Infinite needs to blow us all away unless MS have another amazing system seller up their sleeves. Like 'holy shit' blow us away.

I really hope the rumours of the project being rebooted in 2018 aren't true as this would mean they have been working on this version of Infinite for less time than we all think.

Last edited:

Stuart360

I was about to slap you because the games shown looked very good but I get what you are saying now. R&C and some of the indies looked a bit cartoony (which I love, mostly, except for maybe the furry game, fuck knows what that was... But if it ends up being good I'll get it lol).
They have that plane sim for realistic graphics, though I hope you can turn the CA effect off. When is the next Horizon due? They are always impressive graphically.
Actually Ratchet looked good, i dont mind that cgi like style. Its like i can only watch Pixar style cartoons, i cant watch old style cartoons anymore. I'm just getting old. Its the same with games, thats why i said i had zero interest in that grounded (although i did end up liking the demo), and why i have always had zero interest in Sea of Thieves. Also you cant slap me for an opinion lol. Scorn is my second most wanted game after Assassins Creed Val;halla, and The Medium is up there, same with that amazing looking FPS from the single dev, all games shown at Microsfts 3rd party event. The only games that really interested me at Sony's was GT7, because i love racers, and Horizon 2. That space FPS game looked cool, but its multiplayer focused which isnt for me.
EDIT. I also forgot about Vampire Bl;oodlines 2, a sequel to one of my fave ever games, again shown at Microsofts event.

Last edited:
Jim Ryan won't let me watch the Xbox July Event
w9GGh3H.png

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
I want XBOX at the top of their game. They have to bring it and by "IT" I mean new AAA ip. Halo / Gears / Forza are not the ip they used to be and I know some will take offence by that statement but that doesn't make the statement any less true.

My fear is that I see a lot of tittles that look like Everwild and grounded. Bright, texture free, and ploygon free GP fodder.

But if they can bring the heat I'll bring the big bucks and pick up a series X day 1.

So you're saying they shouldn't show games like Sackboy, Bugsnax, Astro's Playground, Goodbye Volcano High etc??? I don't think that will be a problem. As far as I know Bleeding Edge is the only Xbox game that looks as bad and it's already been released.

Mr Moose

Actually Ratchet looked good, i dont mind that cgi like style. Its like i can only watch Pixar style cartoons, i cant watch old style cartoons anymore. I'm just getting old. Its the same with games, thats why i said i had zero interest in that grounded (although i did end up liking the demo), and why i have always had zero interest in Sea of Thieves. Also you cant slap me for an opinion lol. Scorn is my second most wanted game after Assassins Creed Val;halla, and The Medium is up there, same with that amazing looking FPS from the single dev, all games shown at Microsfts 3rd party event. The only games that really interested me at Sony's was GT7, because i love racers, and Horizon 2. That space FPS game looked cool, but its multiplayer focused which isnt for me.
What sucks about the Scorn thing was it was PC footage (was there gameplay? My memory is shit lol), I want console stuff shoved in my face (like the Sony event). Show off your consoles power MS, you can do it! Is The Medium the one with the Silent Hill music? I am interested in that game. Love the music.
I'm crossing my fingers that it's a good event, fuck this COVID-19 bullshit that will hinder the show (working from home and putting together a show is hard).

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
I know you don't honestly feel that way, but I understand why you're saying it.

But, I honestly expect Xbox to have a fantastic showing in July. They have a bunch of wheels in motion for this moment.
Yeah I think they'll have a great show I'm excited to see what Halo looks like, Forza 8 vs GT7 should be interesting too

I mainly wanna see The Initiative's game

slade

It's funny you say MS is playing their hand last. One thing Sony hasn't even mentioned yet is the services you'll be getting on PS5. OTOH, MS's blown its load already in that area. Sony could overhaul and update PS+ and PSnow and tank MS's whole showcase. That is, providing they actually have something up their sleeve.

To my eyes they’ve already come out on top with that Hellblade 2 trailer. Everything else will just be icing on the cake. They have a bunch of studios and rumors are indicating the mic drops are incoming. And Xbox means more than just a console release. Microsoft is a very different company than they were 10 years ago.

Rolla

Banned
So you're saying they shouldn't show games like Sackboy, Bugsnax, Astro's Playground, Goodbye Volcano High etc??? I don't think that will be a problem. As far as I know Bleeding Edge is the only Xbox game that looks as bad and it's already been released.

There should be a mix the platform that pushes Dreams can also bring Ghost Of Tsushima to the fore. The problem with XBOX current;y is that

SOT
Bleeding Edge
Grounded
SOD2

AKA gamepass filler is all they seem interested in pushing. The fact is they haven't released a new AAA game since 2016. And that's factual.

O-N-E

Meh, they'll have games that'll capture a large swathe of current Xbox fans.

If they specifically want to beat Sony's numbers, they will have to go above and beyond anything they've done in previous years. More so than Sony, which has managed to beat them every single generation (even the giant enemy crab gen). They need a large and diverse library of top-notch games that is too enticing to pass up.

Stuart360

What sucks about the Scorn thing was it was PC footage (was there gameplay? My memory is shit lol), I want console stuff shoved in my face (like the Sony event). Show off your consoles power MS, you can do it! Is The Medium the one with the Silent Hill music? I am interested in that game. Love the music.
I'm crossing my fingers that it's a good event, fuck this COVID-19 bullshit that will hinder the show (working from home and putting together a show is hard).
Yes Scorn demo was shown on a 2080ti, but i have no doubt they can match that on XSX. There are vids of Scorn from 2 and 3 years ago that look amazing, and just as good as the trailer shown at Microsofts event, and those were from before 2080ti's.

Dory16

Banned
Because I can't think of one.

Microsoft has been building expectations that the perception of the Xbox not having many system-selling quality exclusives will be changing for years now.

There are have been a lot of promises and raised expectations built since Spencer took over the head of Xbox. They have asked for patience as they promised it will all be turning "soon".

It has all seemed to have built up for this. PS5 stole all the momentum Xbox was working to slowly build up with Series X in the blink of an eye. The PS5 showcase was an absolute deluge of games.

But, for the first time I can remember, Xbox gets to play their hand last. Do you guys think they hit on all the games they've spent the last several years creating?

While, I don't think it is realistic for Xbox to outsell PS5 worldwide, if they have the software and price advantage, I think it could be much closer to the PS360 days than either of the other generations. But, in my opinion, they HAVE to knock this July showcase out of the park.

While you're saying that I have more games on GP to go through than my lifetime will allow me to, I can play games on my phone even without wifi and I am enjoying the benefits of a silent console that produces the best graphics of the gen and plays the multiplats best.
Building up this event as something that is do or die for a company that quite frankly has given consumers a lot more than the competition (exclusive games put aside) over the last 4 years, is in my opinion misguided. There is no objective assessment for a game presentation. Regardless of what they show, some people will say it was a dud and others will call it Xbox's big comeback as if they hadn't been around more than ever since 2017. Their focus should be on executing their long term strategy (GP, Xcloud, 1st party games) and keeping a steady flow of great games throughout the generation. They don't control anything else.

Last edited:

tryDEATH

I know you don't honestly feel that way, but I understand why you're saying it.

But, I honestly expect Xbox to have a fantastic showing in July. They have a bunch of wheels in motion for this moment.

Literally the 2 biggest games from that presentation that are coming the earliest to PS5 are reskins/updates from PS4 titles in Spider-Man and GT:7. R&C was nice and so was HZD, but god knows when that is coming out with not date in sight.

If anyone is insinuating that the expectations are high due to the PS5 event they must be lying to themselves as it was a gigantic let down compared to the hype it generated beforehand.

Xbox just needs to stay on message, they got the more powerful system that will play all 3rd party games the best, it also has the best services and features and now they just need to sprinkle the launch year with a few good exclusive games and it will have been a prefect launch.

Stuart360

Exactly. Why shouldnt they show games like that?, Sony did. People are only talking like this because its obvious we are going to get shown some of those kind of games. They can then tell us over and over why the event was a letdown because of it.

LostDonkey

There should be a mix the platform that pushes Dreams can also bring Ghost Of Tsushima to the fore. The problem with XBOX current;y is that

SOT
Bleeding Edge
Grounded
SOD2

AKA gamepass filler is all they seem interested in pushing. The fact is they haven't released a new AAA game since 2016. And that's factual.
Sea of Thieves cough cough ahem

FH4. Only the best arcade racer this gen.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

Yes Scorn demo was shown on a 2080ti, but i have no doubt they can match that on XSX. There are vids of Scorn from 2 and 3 years ago that look amazing, and just as good as the trailer shown at Microsofts event, and those were from before 2080ti's.
Yeah I think they said something like it can hit 4K 60fps on RTX 2070 Super and I think Series X is more powerful than that(?). These next gen machines will punch above their weight anyway, we're in for a real treat. The SSD's and the CPUs alone are a massive upgrade, this gets me excited lol.
What's scary is GTA V on next gen... The loading time on PS4 is like an hour lol.

Stuart360

Yeah I think they said something like it can hit 4K 60fps on RTX 2070 Super and I think Series X is more powerful than that(?). These next gen machines will punch above their weight anyway, we're in for a real treat. The SSD's and the CPUs alone are a massive upgrade, this gets me excited lol.
What's scary is GTA V on next gen... The loading time on PS4 is like an hour lol.
For me, its the loading times that are looking like the real game changer next gen. I'm using sata SSD's on my PC, and loading times really are starting to get long again, its like how it used to be when i used HDD's.

LostDonkey

SOT released in 2016

But more importantly, if you think SOT is a AAA game I'm going to put you on ignore like immediately. There's nothing in or about gaming we can discuss ever lol

It released on the 20th of March 2018.

Also wether you or I *think* a game is AAA or not isn't part of the discussion.

It fits the very definition, however vague that maybe, of being one.

Big developer. Big publisher. Lots of money spent of development. Successfull.

Your or my view of the game doesn't change that. And I don't like it as a game, but the point still stands.

Last edited:

gypsygib

MS just needs to be cheaper, at least $50, ideally $100. They'll make it back with the 20 mill or so more Live subscriptions and peripherals over the gen.

Vast majority of sales are still to the Shooter/Sports crowd, not the GOW, TLOU, etc. crowd. Even PS fans would take that and say they'll pick up a PS5 later when more exclusives are out and the price is cheaper but by then it would be too late, the friends network snowball would already be unstoppable.

Playstation HAS to be a success for Sony but they also can't eat too much loss.

Not sure how they can do that though.

Last edited:

Dory16

Banned

SOT
Bleeding Edge
Grounded
SOD2

Those games all deserve to exist. Each of them is original as in almost unique in their genre except for SOD2 that I actually found addictive until I committed the mistake of leaving a single survivor in my base that I had spent weeks building and reinforcing. It got overran and destroyed and I was too disheartened to pick up the game ever again.
If there's a place for Bugsnax and Sackboy there's definitely a place for Bleeding Edge and Sea of Thieves which don't require 50$ to be played by the way.

Aion002

I think that is the opposite.

MS lost 3 generations.... I don't think that most gamers have a lot of expectations.... And the Xbox fans already know that Halo, Gears and Forza will be there.... So they are probably going to be happy anyway. I think that if they don't do a "TV TV Xbox One reveal" again, anything that they show will be good for the fans and the rest of the world might be interested.

quickwhips

A vawn thread lol. I think sony swung and missed. And how did they miss with that console being so big? Now joking aside. I think microsoft really needs to show some great games but i think they will. I like most of their games more than sony so lets see what happens.

Last edited:
Top Bottom