• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has there ever been more riding on a single presentation than the upcoming Xbox Series games presentation?

Maybe in the GAF / gaming forum bubble. Think of how bad the Xbone launch was, how long it took them to even barely right the ship, and they still sold ~50 mil. People love to cherry-pick the context but if Xbox was still able to sell as much as they did given how terrible their last launch was, and how obvious it is they’re going to have an at worst decent launch this time, they’re obviously going to be fine. All this “stole all the mindshare”, “everything riding on July” hyperbole is hot air.

MrS

Banned
It needs to be good but I don't think it will be because they always fuck it up. I expect to see a few new cars unveiled, Crackdown 4 and something akin to ReCore.

Last edited:

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
There should be a mix the platform that pushes Dreams can also bring Ghost Of Tsushima to the fore. The problem with XBOX current;y is that

SOT
Bleeding Edge
Grounded
SOD2

AKA gamepass filler is all they seem interested in pushing. The fact is they haven't released a new AAA game since 2016. And that's factual.

Yeah, Gears 5 and Ori, Game Pass filler. Although they both scored higher than Death Stranding & Days Gone the 2 big games Sony was pushing last year they're not as high as this years Lesbian opus and it's likely GoT will score higher, they are still very high quality games and NOT simply Game Pass filler whether you like them or not.

ACESHIGH

Banned
I want Sony and MS competing head to head. So I hope MS knocks it out of the park, and as a PC gamer I end up getting good games from both.

Stuart360

Yeah, Gears 5 and Ori, Game Pass filler. Although they both scored higher than Death Stranding & Days Gone the 2 big games Sony was pushing last year they're not as high as this years Lesbian opus and it's likely GoT will score higher, they are still very high quality games and NOT simply Game Pass filler whether you like them or not.
So Gears 5, Forza 7, and Forza Horizon 4 are not AAA games?, we get to learn something new everyday on this forum!.

Mr Moose

Everybody looking foward to the Xbox already. :messenger_grinning_squinting:
GAMES! lol.
I hope everyone is looking forward to the Xbox show. They showed the indies, now they need to bring their AAA game (heh).
We can be fanboys/girls over the consoles but games are games (I want to play Animal Crossing but Switch is sold out and I don't want the shitty Lite).
Sony did not do much. All they did was continuity in their presentation rather than try and blow our socks off. It shouldn’t take Microsoft much to have a better show.
The 9-ish first party exclusives didn't impress you? First part of their presentation was great IMO, dipped in the middle (but that was just to show indies and RE8 which looked shit at times) and picked up again at the end. Was like E3 lol.
So Gears 5, Forza 7, and Forza Horizon 4 are not AAA games?, we get to learn something new everyday on this forum!.
That series is their biggest AAA games. Unless they cut shit out of the games for gamepass which I doubt, those are the 3 big hitters (Halo, Forza, Gears) though I hope they bring more than that. Hell, we already know they will, there's Hellblade amongst others, that's somewhere in between AA and AAA.

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
It's funny you say MS is playing their hand last. One thing Sony hasn't even mentioned yet is the services you'll be getting on PS5. OTOH, MS's blown its load already in that area. Sony could overhaul and update PS+ and PSnow and tank MS's whole showcase. That is, providing they actually have something up their sleeve.

I guess I can't imagine anyone caring. People don't buy PlayStation consoles for the subscription services or game rentals. They buy them for the blockbusters they can't play elsewhere. Nintendo is the same way.

Personally, if Sony said they were turning PS Now into a GamePass equivalent, I'd be pissed. I realize what it costs to make a constant stream of games at the caliber of God of War, Last of Us, Ghost of Tsushima, Spider-Man and Horizon - and a "straight to rental" won't sustain that level of detail.

But, that's getting off subject and I realize many aren't ready to accept that reality.

Last edited:

kriolo

I think its a “make ir or break it opportunity” not only in terms of games where they must show amazing New experiences on a 1080p streaming (halo forza etc not enough) but Sony Also put them in a defensive position in terms of value proposition of the console because of the ps5 digital edition.If the games arent superior to the ones Sony showed ,then the 12 tf vs 10 tf wont matter.If they cant show that at least they must offer a lower price.

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
Sony didn’t have to do anything in 2013, Mattrick handed it to them on a silver platter. Who would have thought insulting gamers would lead to less sales?
Sony punctuated it with the throat stomp on used games and pricing though. I've never seen a company so directly call out their competition as that "this is how you share games" video they did

Mr Moose

Ori is beautiful, though I can't stand the character models on Gears lol, thicc.

Vawn

Banned
Only for fanboys.
Microsoft market cap is in an all times high.
Sony and Nintendo are fine and there is no real new competition coming from Amazon, Google or Apple.

Yes, we are talking about Xbox, not Microsoft. Whether Xbox is a runaway success or a major disappointment will barely be a blip on the radar for Microsoft. Xbox is barely an afterthought for Microsoft. PlayStation is HUGE for Sony. And gaming is everything to Nintendo.

Banned
absolutely, the Switch presentation.

the Wii U was an absolute disaster for Nintendo.
the Switch had to sell or else they might have been in some huge trouble.

meanwhile the Xbox One is selling fine and is making Microsoft profit.

so for MS there's not that much pressure than the pressure that was on Nintendo after the Wii U

JimboJones

I think they do need to deliver a vision of first party titles, especially after going on that spending spree, they need a good mix of new IP and classic beloved IP reimagined.
Have to show substantial amounts of gameplay, not CGI/in engine muck.

I think hardware wise they won't need to do much, at least that's the vibe I'm getting from them they are very confident in delivering a more powerful box.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
MS just needs to be cheaper, at least $50, ideally $100. They'll make it back with the 20 mill or so more Live subscriptions and peripherals over the gen.

Vast majority of sales are still to the Shooter/Sports crowd, not the GOW, TLOU, etc. crowd. Even PS fans would take that and say they'll pick up a PS5 later when more exclusives are out and the price is cheaper but by then it would be too late, the friends network snowball would already be unstoppable.

Playstation HAS to be a success for Sony but they also can't eat too much loss.

Not sure how they can do that though.
You underestimate the mindshare that Playstation has. I think PS5 would still outsell the XSX if PS5 was $100 more expensive

Who's going to put off games like Spider-man, Horizon Forbidden West, God of War Ragnorak, not a PS fan

Last edited:
You underestimate the mindshare that Playstation has. I think PS5 would still outsell the XSX if PS5 was $100 more expensive

Who's going to put off games like Spider-man, Horizon Forbidden West, God of War Ragnorak, not a PS fan

Sony's financials are bad though., They have been for a while. Games like Spiderman and GOW are single player one and dones that lose their value quickly. You can buy GOW for 9.99 now and Spiderman for 20 bucks. Compare to Nintendo still selling Mario Kart for 60 bucks.

MP games have an immediate market and in-game transactions. Sony needs to step up its online game.

mekes

When the presentation starts and Don Mattrick walks out with his TV remote and puts on the NFL i will be laughing my ass off 😂

But realistically, it’s going to be better received than prior to the XBOne launch. As somebody who skipped Xbox this gen I am curious to see what will be shown. I’m not a big fan of their standard catalogue of games. Halo and Gears aren’t for me. Fable is okay but not a system seller for me. I’d love to see some new IP shown that appealed to me but by this point I’m not sure if MS are the company that can offer me an appealing first party game to buy a console for.

So hopefully they just revive PGR so I’m there for day one, Xbox Live sub and all.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
I don’t think so. After the last event that was disappointing I didn’t think I could get excited and here I am counting the days. The hype is insane.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Sony's financials are bad though., They have been for a while. Games like Spiderman and GOW are single player one and dones that lose their value quickly. You can buy GOW for 9.99 now and Spiderman for 20 bucks. Compare to Nintendo still selling Mario Kart for 60 bucks.

MP games have an immediate market and in-game transactions. Sony needs to step up its online game.
Sony makes tons of money on PS Now alone and the biggest MP titles are all 3rd party that automatically come to Playstation consoles regardless

Ten_Fold

We still don’t fully know what Sony’s launch titles will be, but Microsoft has been pretty clear about a lot of things. Lots of big rumors they are unloading the clip. So let’s just wait to see.

Great Hair

Banned
Xbox gets to play their hand last

Half of Microsoft Studios are demoted to Kinect, Gamepass filler games .. Rare incl. The other half are going to crank out more Halos, Forzas, Gears, Horizons ... only Ninja Theory has the power to impress me and let´s be honest, Hellblade ($20 title) was more a movie than a game.

Remove the voices and all you have is a walking simulator with bad puzzles and sponge battles, unlocking doors all while being bombarded with flashy visuals that should "make you feel uncomfortable, headache inducing, that´s prolly how someone must feel when undergoing a psychosis, lets add big red faces of her during boss battles, more flashy, acid tripping graphics".

All their games, even "cartoony" games like Grounded or EVerwild, Sea of Thieves that stuarts dislikes, are full of mtx, multiplayer focused ... they have to monetize the living shit out of their games (post release).

supernova8

Banned
I really hope Xbox can do the following:
  • blow me away with stunning visuals for Forza 7, far and away more impressive than Gran Turismo Sport: Upscale Edition (sorry, GT7 I mean).
  • give me that Gears of War feeling from E3 2005 where the game looked so good, hardly anyone could believe it was running on a 360.
  • follow-through on the 'in-engine' Hellblade teaser with some gameplay that looks the same or very similar in terms of quality (I doubt it).
  • new Dead Rising with thousands of zombies on screen, all with high-res texturing.
  • a new third person adventure IP to rival Horizon, with graphics better than Horizon.
Yeah I'm all about those next-gen graphics. You put 12 TF and an SSD into the console, so you gotta show me the games or I'm not biting.

Stuart360

I really hope Xbox can do the following:
  • blow me away with stunning visuals for Forza 7, far and away more impressive than Gran Turismo Sport: Upscale Edition (sorry, GT7 I mean).
  • give me that Gears of War feeling from E3 2005 where the game looked so good, hardly anyone could believe it was running on a 360.
  • follow-through on the 'in-engine' Hellblade teaser with some gameplay that looks the same or very similar in terms of quality (I doubt it).
  • new Dead Rising with thousands of zombies on screen, all with high-res texturing.
  • a new third person adventure IP to rival Horizon, with graphics better than Horizon.
Yeah I'm all about those next-gen graphics. You put 12 TF and an SSD into the console, so you gotta show me the games or I'm not biting.
I thought Capcom closed the Dead Rising studio?

Kagero

I honestly feel at this point in the game. The goal they should be looking to pass is that unreal demo, and not what Sony showed.

Sacred

Half of Microsoft Studios are demoted to Kinect, Gamepass filler games .. Rare incl. The other half are going to crank out more Halos, Forzas, Gears, Horizons ... only Ninja Theory has the power to impress me and let´s be honest, Hellblade ($20 title) was more a movie than a game.

Remove the voices and all you have is a walking simulator with bad puzzles and sponge battles, unlocking doors all while being bombarded with flashy visuals that should "make you feel uncomfortable, headache inducing, that´s prolly how someone must feel when undergoing a psychosis, lets add big red faces of her during boss battles, more flashy, acid tripping graphics".

All their games, even "cartoony" games like Grounded or EVerwild, Sea of Thieves that stuarts dislikes, are full of mtx, multiplayer focused ... they have to monetize the living shit out of their games (post release).

Spoken like someone who has no clue what these studios are capable of. There is no kinect games anymore, all these studios have multiple teams and multiple projects with big budgets. This is not the same MS from 3-4 years ago. They have spent alot of time and money to build and recruit the best talent for these franchises. On top of developers have complete control to make the games they want.

The last part is also not true, there are hardly any MTX in SoT and you know nothing about Everwild or Grounded, what a worthless post.

Last edited:

BlackM1st

Banned
Forza will bitchslap GT7 graphics. And it's unfortunate 4 me cos my PC is without a screen and I will buy PS5. Eh, sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. (PS5 will still beat XBOX by views and sales)

Inviusx

They just need to show Infinite, Forza 8, throw the name Fable in there somewhere and show some other unannounced titles from their recent acquisitions and they will do fine.

KiNeMz

Banned
It's all up to whether these first party acquisitions have got the goods. Let's hope they do. I'm confident Xbox will bring the goods. They have been making there moves to this point for a few years now. Hopefully the timings is right. Let's just hope each studio has game play ready for showing.

BlackM1st

Banned
It's all up to whether these first party acquisitions have got the goods. Let's hope they do. I'm confident Xbox will bring the goods. They have been making there moves to this point for a few years now. Hopefully the timings is right. Let's just hope each studio has game play ready for showing.
But all MS games are on PC, how it will help to promote XBOX as a platform/direct competitor to PS5?

Brofist

I guess I can't imagine anyone caring. People don't buy PlayStation consoles for the subscription services or game rentals. They buy them for the blockbusters they can't play elsewhere. Nintendo is the same way.

Personally, if Sony said they were turning PS Now into a GamePass equivalent, I'd be pissed. I realize what it costs to make a constant stream of games at the caliber of God of War, Last of Us, Ghost of Tsushima, Spider-Man and Horizon - and a "straight to rental" won't sustain that level of detail.

But, that's getting off subject and I realize many aren't ready to accept that reality.

This must be what the CEO of Blockbuster sounded like at the peak of his hubris.

BTW you don't need to make your little mini list of games in each post to make a point.

Great Hair

Banned
There is no kinect games anymore, all these studios have multiple teams and multiple projects with big budgets.

OK

Overrated, GPF tier
  • Compulsion Games = yikes
  • Inxile = nothing to get wet about it, a 100% pc studio now "forced" to port a game that wont win any awards nor attract new ppl. (Wasteland). Their best game is years old (Bard´s Tale 4)
  • Obsidian (king of bugs) ... potential (storywise) is there, but i prefer Fallout 3 over New Vegas or that Agent game
  • the guys behind Age of Empire remain PC exclusive same with the guys behind Flight Simulator remain PC exclsuives, as these games are near impossible to port/map over to a console(gamepad)
  • Minecraft will remain updating minecraft
  • Double Fine has Pyschonauts 2 (which i believe was announced for PS4 before being acquired), aint gonna suddenly make a AAA game (are you going to buy an XSX because of their next point&click adventure?)
  • Undead Labs = no comment, working on State of Decay 3 i guess

Unsure, potential is there tier
  • Ninja Theory (story, character, not so much gameplay, will see how that "basic gameplay" translate into a huge open world)
  • The Initiative has yet to release anything ...
  • Rare aint Rare from the 90s ... will see (my hidden gem Everwild may convince me)

Recycling Tier
  • 343i "disliked" by die hard fans
  • Turn 10 Studios "aint suddenly gonna make an RPG or FPS"
  • The Coalition were working on something NEW, had to cancel and work on Gears4 and 5 instead
  • Playground Games "RPG out of the blue?" Will see, else they´re going to crank out Horizon 5 in Japan...
Gameplay wise, only Rare and those into Minecraft i care.
Story wise, just Ninja Theory
the rest is either "too PC", same of the same since 2001 or just not my cup of tea (gears)

Phil Spencer has been promising "to put more focus on 1st party, less 3rd party" since 2014. Every year ... the same promise.

Vawn

Banned
XBOX is just as much PC as it is console. It doesn't matter what you are playing on as long as you are using Xbox services. How hard is this to understand?

I don't know how people still think this is true. Microsoft owns Xbox. Microsoft does not own PC.

If EA sells a game on Xbox, Microsoft gets 30%. If EA sells a game on Steam, Microsoft gets NOTHING.

If Microsoft sells their game on Xbox, Microsoft gets 100%. If Microsoft sells their game on Steam, they get 70%.

Microsoft wants you playing in THEIR closed ecosystem. That is Xbox. If they can't sell their games there, they'll settle for 70% by selling their games on PC or Switch (and sometimes even PlayStation).

Top Bottom