• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has there ever been more riding on a single presentation than the upcoming Xbox Series games presentation?

So... MS doesn't care about xbox console sales and neither should we?
Why would you care about console sales? Are you making money off of them? This seems like such a bizarre question to me.

MS strategy is to sell low cost portals into their subscription and cloud platforms. They will take a loss on hardware sales to garner subscriptions. And with PC gamers, they will also get subscriptions. What don't you understand about this?

I don't know how people still think this is true. Microsoft owns Xbox. Microsoft does not own PC.

If EA sells a game on Xbox, Microsoft gets 30%. If EA sells a game on Steam, Microsoft gets NOTHING.

If Microsoft sells their game on Xbox, Microsoft gets 100%. If Microsoft sells their game on Steam, they get 70%.

Microsoft wants you playing in THEIR closed ecosystem. That is Xbox. If they can't sell their games there, they'll settle for 70% by selling their games on PC or Switch (and sometimes even PlayStation).

I'm not talking about Steam, I'm talking about Xbox.

BlackM1st

Banned
Why would you care about console sales? Are you making money off of them? This seems like such a bizarre question to me.

What don't you understand about this?
So your unswer is NO to both. MS don't care about XBOX sales and neither should we. Ok, good to know lol Please disperse, nothing to see here...

ZehDon

Lol, I mean... yeah, the E3 after the Xbone Reveal fiasco comes to mind. That was make-or-break for Microsoft's vision, and if they'd pulled it off, we'd all live in a 24/7-DRM world right now. "Fortunately", Mattrick's decimation of their first party studios left them with nothing to convince the masses, and it broke them, their brand, and their vision.

AmuroChan

The competition between XBox and PlayStation is not the same as it was in the past. Microsoft doesn't care if you don't buy an Xbox Series X. If you're a sub to Gamepass on PC, that's perfectly fine with them. Sony is still in the business of selling as many physical consoles as possible. Yes, the two are still competing when it comes to mind share, but they're now going after different metrics when it comes to their long-term business goals.

Microsoft doesn't have to match the PS5's presentation beat for beat. They just have to reaffirm that they have a lot of studios making games, that they're all going to be on Gamepass on day 1, and our entire games library will carry forward to the Series X. That I think is going to be good enough to keep most Xbox gamers locked in to their ecosystem.

Last edited:
Xbox just has to show a few "exclusives", show how multiplats(which is the MAJORITY of what people will buy) will look better and run better compared to PS5 hardware and they'll rake people in. They've become very consumer focused since their garbage ass E3 Xbone presentation that I think some of ya'll are gonna be surprised how well they do this time. Having the weaker hardware and a very anti-consumer focused presentation KILLED all momentum the 360 had and Sony easily lapped it up. I think they are gonna sell gangbusters if they can match or beat the PS5 price.

I know some Sony zealots have short-term memory when it comes to their favorite piece of plastic, but I clearly remember how BADLY they fucked up the PS3's launch with their "$599 U.S. dollars" and the arrogance of "Next-Gen doesn't start until Sony say's it does and players will want to get a second job just to buy one." I personally have no dog in the race and want them BOTH to be as competitive as possible so I get the best possible value. People who only want a Sony Monolith or MSFT Monolith should look at how douchey Nvidia was with their last wave of graphics cards when they had no competition. They raised their prices across the board by a SUBSTANTIAL amount of money and it didn't leave many with a choice for PC gaming if one was just getting into it. The best card in the 10xx series, the 1080ti was $699. The best card in the 20xx series, the very next series, a 2080ti was $999.

Point is, we NEED competition to keep these mega-corps from screwing over their consumer base. If they think you'll go to the next guy over because they are pricing too high, they'll keep their prices competitive/fair.

Last edited:

zcaa0g

Banned
MS could easily get back in the first party game with a launch list like this that covers a variety of genres:

Crimson Skies X
Dead or Alive 7
Fable 4
Forza Motorsport 8
Fuzion Frenzy 3 (some kind of party game)
Gears of War 6
Halo Infinite
KOTOR 3
MechAssault X
Otogi 3
Project Gotham Racing X
RalliSport Challenge X
Splinter Cell X

Uh...they can skip Blood Wake 2 and Nightcaster 3.

Blow their load all at once. I'm not really expecting any surprises at their event, but we'll see.

On Demand

Banned
Feels like we've been hearing this same sentiment since XB1. It's crazy how it keeps getting repeated. At some point XB fans have to be tired of the promises.

Last edited:

Dolomite

So... MS doesn't care about xbox console sales and neither should we?
Quite literally this. Unless you've purchased shares in Sony or MS. MS is looking to expand thier Ecosystem, including PC, and mobile devices via Xcloud. They are looking at Netflix as competition

Mr.ODST

GT7 didn't look that great, huge fan of GT Sport but tried Forza Horizon 4 the other day and it literally looked better than GT7 at this moment in time, but graphic updates only really happen at the later quarter of a games development so still loads to wait for.

iNvid02

They literally need to put out halo infinite and for it to be good to win the launch window, all sony has is a spiderman expansion

Kumomeme

because for ms, this is very important for their first impression toward next gen...
they need to overwrite current gen's xbox one bad first impression with next gen

Stuart360

So anyone think Lockhart will be shown?, and if it is, do you think they will do some side by side comparisons showing games at 4k on XSX, and at 1080p on Lockhart?.

SleepDoctor

Banned
Irony of the op to make another thread like this. Damage control?

I don't think its too much riding on this because a lot people are not overhyped like they were with the third party show or the ps one.

Most people have expectations in check. They can have a great show with 10 new AAA games and awesome third-party support running better than on Ps5 and consoles warriors will still say its a bad show.

Its a chance to bring back some of the fanbase they lost this gen. If not they'll just keep pushing subscriptions on pc anyway.

Stuart360

Irony of the op to make another thread like this. Damage control?

I don't think its too much riding on this because a lot people are not overhyped like they were with the third party show or the ps one.

Most people have expectations in check. They can have a great show with 10 new AAA games and awesome third-party support running better than on Ps5 and consoles warriors will still say its a bad show.

Its a chance to bring back some of the fanbase they lost this gen. If not they'll just keep pushing subscriptions on pc anyway.
Lets be honest, they could show 50 AAA games, amazing graphics, amazing vareity, and certain people will still say its a bad show, while proclaiming in every thread they can that the Sony show was a '10/10' (lol).
Its so frustrating sometimes.

HoodWinked

Feels like there is nothing Microsoft can really do. There was that one year Microsoft has a pretty good show which ended with cyberpunk and Sony had a white dude playing a pan flute and no new announcements and people were adamant Sony "won"

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Lets be honest, they could show 50 AAA games, amazing graphics, amazing vareity, and certain people will still say its a bad show, while proclaiming in every thread they can that the Sony show was a '10/10' (lol).

Thats not what I see. To me it seems that most PS threads are either somewhat critical, or at least questioning, and almost invariably contain a mixture of views both positive and negative.

Meanwhile on the Xbox side, every thread is hyperbolically bullish, disparaging of the competition and their chances, and anything less than toeing the hagiographic line is treated as shitposting.

Stuart360

Thats not what I see. To me it seems that most PS threads are either somewhat critical, or at least questioning, and almost invariably contain a mixture of views both positive and negative.

Meanwhile on the Xbox side, every thread is hyperbolically bullish, disparaging of the competition and their chances, and anything less than toeing the hagiographic line is treated as shitposting.
You cant be serious surely?, (checks post history), oh you are.
source.gif

SleepDoctor

Banned

Yup. You will never win that argument lol. The "future of gaming" was "gamepass filler" third party games and a handful of good exclusives. All hype, the bar was set very low tbh.

Kokoloko85

I think people hoping its gonna be good or bad so it would beat or lose to playstation need to realise there barely in competition anymore.

Watch it and enjoy. Its not gonna be what makes xbox die or beat playstation lol

Kokoloko85

You cant be serious surely?, (checks post history), oh you are.
source.gif

Lol both sides can be delusional. And both have fanboys.

But Im actually seeing seeing more than one person say the Xbox division ( A company who sells video game consoles, and is selling 3 different sku’s since 2017 and invested billions into releasing 2 new consoles in 2020 )..... durm roll..... doesn't care about console sale numbers....

That there focus is now streaming and subscription.
This is called, denial. My console hasnt sold much so we’re all gonna pretend thats not important and not our goal as a console manufacturer.....

Lets keep it simple, PS5 is under powered and `xbox has no games. Lets not pretend xbox doesnt care about selling consoles all a sudden when releasing new 2 consoles.

martino

this has been said in another thread there is two side to the conference :
  • content : i think they can manage this part
  • presentation : this is the big ? and can be the "party popper"
for example Sony one in my opinion was :
  • 2.5/5 content
  • 5/5 presentation

Last edited:
They need to show some good stuff, not just Halo, Forza. They seem to have invested a lot in 1st Party Studios, it's a good opportunity for them.

I've never bought the whole myth of "Xbox has no games" and "PS First party are amazing", don't get me wrong I enjoyed the Uncharted series and Last of Us but that's about it for me..

Rikkori

This is the gaming equivalent of thinking political debates matter. Truth is that in both cases too few people are going to pay attention to it & out of those even fewer will care how it goes. The biggest factor is still price. More aggressive gamepass marketing would do infinitely more for Xbox sales than a good presentation at this event.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
So anyone think Lockhart will be shown?, and if it is, do you think they will do some side by side comparisons showing games at 4k on XSX, and at 1080p on Lockhart?.

It's possible but since they are going to have something new every month I could see them holding that along with series X price.

donfonzie

This idea that Sony or Xbox completely steal the show or kill the other console off is stupid and way off base. They're both going to sell a shit ton of consoles, games, accessories, subscriptions and value add services next gen.

This is the right answer. The competition between both companies is running hot right now, which will lead to both consoles having great games and services. As a gamer, that's the thing that excites me the most.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
I'd agree that the July event is probably the most important presentation in Xbox history. They simply must have a great show. They need 2 or 3 top quality first party games that look incredible, I'd say. We know Infinite is going to be there, so at least 2 more AAA games that just blow people away. Then a bunch of smaller titles & indies to round things off.

It can be done. I enjoyed the PS5 event, but still don't think it was unbeatable.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Sony hasn't shown us much of a reason to buy a PS5 at launch. All Xbox needs is a Halo that impresses and maybe one other title and I think they will be just fine.

Last edited:

quest

Not Banned from OT
No because the digital PS5 could end it. I don't think it can be shown until Sony prices the PS5. If the digit PS5 is 399.99 lockheart is doa. The fantasy land of a 199.99 is just that. Im sure when it was in the drawing board they assumed 499.99 for both series x and PS5. Then 299.99 lockheart console but if there is only a 100 dollars difference for 2.5 the performance it is doa.

sublimit

Banned
After how much they messed up their previous Inside Xbox showcase they better finally deliver on what they have been promising for years now and on many fronts.

I don't think they can afford to mess up another showcase.

Last edited:

ToadMan

But, for the first time I can remember, Xbox gets to play their hand last. Do you guys think they hit on all the games they've spent the last several years creating?

I would say MS get to play their hand "next" not last.

I wouldn't be surprised to find Sony is holding one or two more cards to play when they announce price and date and that will presumably come after the MS thing.

As for MS's event - it's only a big deal because of the time passing between events.

At previous things like E3, we got the answers to questions in days and sometimes hours. Now we're waiting weeks or months... that's a lot of pent up speculation.

Portugeezer

It's not a big deal. Phil said they aren't too bothered about console sales, it will be a Gamepass presentation not an Xbox presentation.

Although I hope they throw in some big third party games into the presentation.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Look, there's a significant issue outstanding in that Sony aren't done yet with their pre-launch marketing blitz.

Whatever MS show in July, Sony will doubtless try to counter and nullify afterwards. And they'll have plenty of opportunity to do so when they get down to the nitty-gritty detailing of their hardware offering, which they haven't done yet and obviously has to covered pre-release along with pricing and launch line-up.

quest

Not Banned from OT
It's not a big deal. Phil said they aren't too bothered about console sales, it will be a Gamepass presentation not an Xbox presentation.

Although I hope they throw in some big third party games into the presentation.
No Phil was asked about selling a new device with millions out of work thanks to covid-19. He cares about console sales they make more off of the xbox ecosystem than anywhere else. PC and cloud won't carry gamepass except to the grave. Xbox will do the heavy lifting revenue wise to keep the division a live. The PC will tag along for the ride.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Look, there's a significant issue outstanding in that Sony aren't done yet with their pre-launch marketing blitz.

Whatever MS show in July, Sony will doubtless try to counter and nullify afterwards. And they'll have plenty of opportunity to do so when they get down to the nitty-gritty detailing of their hardware offering, which they haven't done yet and obviously has to covered pre-release along with pricing and launch line-up.
So they are going to start showing games that are 3 years away? Because I doubt they have any big hitters hidden away that are due to pop from PS5's belly anytime soon. Honestly, I am smelling a lot of fear in this thread.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
So they are going to start showing games that are 3 years away? Because I doubt they have any big hitters hidden away that are due to pop from PS5's belly anytime soon. Honestly, I am smelling a lot of fear in this thread.

There's no fear, I'm just stating facts. Note how I wrote that "Sony will doubtless try to" because that being their intent is a given, as is there being an obvious opportunity to mount a riposte when they still have much to disclose about the PS5's specifics.

I'm not emotionally invested in this like you are.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member

Do you assume that the July event will be the end of Xbox marketing for next gen?

It's true though. PlayStation will probably look to counter any buzz of goodwill from the July showcase.

Top Bottom