• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has there ever been more riding on a single presentation than the upcoming Xbox Series games presentation?

killatopak

Gold Member
I’m expecting big things. Hopefully that rumor about new IP is true.

I want them to succeed just as much as Sony does because I can play all of them.

gypsygib

You underestimate the mindshare that Playstation has. I think PS5 would still outsell the XSX if PS5 was $100 more expensive

Who's going to put off games like Spider-man, Horizon Forbidden West, God of War Ragnorak, not a PS fan

People can go either way, my friends went from PS2 to 360, then when 4/5 peoples' 360s broke, to PS3, then to PS4 for more power for less money and as a FU to MS for the poor hardware quality and kinect focus.

I do agree that Sony has a MUCH stronger mindshare which was cemented in the PS4 gen. Spiderman, TLOU, and GOW are hard to give up, but talking to my PS4 buddies, they're saying they could just get a console cheaper down the line for those exclusives and play the games they spend the majority of their time with on XSX if they look/run better and the console is cheaper - so no real brand preference.

It's going to come down to price largely for the guys that are buying on launch to play next-gen Sports/Shooter games unless Sony had a major hitter coming the first year, which it doesn't seem like it does. DS remake isn't it.

I think a win for MS would be to get back to the peak 360 roughly 50/50 marketshare. Then build on that. Gamepass is huge too once former PS4 people try it out and realize how much value you get.

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
People can go either way, my friends went from PS2 to 360, then when 4/5 peoples' 360s broke, to PS3, then to PS4 for more power for less money and as a FU to MS for the poor hardware quality and kinect focus.

I do agree that Sony has a MUCH stronger mindshare which was cemented in the PS4 gen. Spiderman, TLOU, and GOW are hard to give up, but talking to my PS4 buddies, they're saying they could just get a console cheaper down the line for those exclusives and play the games they spend the majority of their time with on XSX if they look/run better and the console is cheaper - so no real brand preference.

It's going to come down to price largely for the guys that are buying on launch to play next-gen Sports/Shooter games unless Sony had a major hitter coming the first year, which it doesn't seem like it does. DS remake isn't it.

I think a win for MS would be to get back to the peak 360 roughly 50/50 marketshare. Then build on that. Gamepass is huge too once former PS4 people try it out and realize how much value you get.
Sony has major heavy hitters coming the 1st year: Spider-man Miles Morales, Horizon Forbidden West, probably Ratchet and Clank and GT7 too

Gamepass also isn't for everyone, I let my trial go in September 2019 after using it for 1 1/2 - 2 weeks. I know others that have done the same

gypsygib

Sony has major heavy hitters coming the 1st year: Spider-man Miles Morales, Horizon Forbidden West, probably Ratchet and Clank and GT7 too

Gamepass also isn't for everyone, I let my trial go in September 2019 after using it for 1 1/2 - 2 weeks. I know others that have done the same

None of those are heavy hitters compared to popular sports/shooter games. GOW, TLOU, sure but Horizon hasn't established itself as a Playstation Hall of Fame franchise and racing games are increasingly niche. Spiderman is more of a DLC game than a true sequel.

Of the five people I know with PS4s, only two bought Horizon and only as an afterthought when it was really cheap. They buy games like GOW, Spiderman, TLOU on launch and still aren't greatly excited for Horizon. But of course, these comments are just my opinions based on my own friend group and their buying preferences which I would consider the typical annual/F2P shooter/sports (not racing) fans. But I do believe people with those preferences make up the majority of console sales.

Hobbygaming

None of those are heavy hitters compared to popular sports/shooter games. GOW, TLOU, sure but Horizon hasn't established itself as a Playstation Hall of Fame franchise and racing games are increasingly niche. Spiderman is more of a DLC game than a true sequel.

Of the five people I know with PS4s, only two bought Horizon and only as an afterthought when it was really cheap. They buy games like GOW, Spiderman, TLOU on launch and still aren't greatly excited for Horizon. But of course, these comments are just my opinions based on my own friend group and their buying preferences which I would consider the typical annual/F2P shooter/sports (not racing) fans. But I do believe people with those preferences make up the majority of console sales.
Yeah I think it's just anecdotal with you and your buds but it's ok :)

Thats right Vawn, build it up so you can knock it down later lol.
Imo they dont have to do much to beat Sony's presentation, game wise, and certainly graphics wise.
If they cant do that then they deserve to come second.

First reply nailed it in every respect. If MS can’t beat that Sony showing the. They deserve to “lose”.

Last edited:

gypsygib

Yeah I think it's just anecdotal with you and your buds but it's ok :)

We have picked up the winning console since PS1 on launch or by Christmas season that year. With the exception of 360, but that was winning until MS totally blew it with hardware failures - even then, we were quick to switch to PS3 before all that kinect business.

MastaKiiLA

Half a year out, no likely price announcement incoming, and this is some kind of do or die scenario? Nah. Don't build up expectations so much, when there's still plenty of time to play with. I'd say the important thing is how each console handles the first year of existence, not prelaunch. How many titles and what price can they get for year 1. If one system can gain a significant amount of momentum for Christmas 2021, that's what's important IMO. The only thing MS has to do is not shoot themselves in the foot with their next presser. That's a low bar to clear.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I think there are simple truths that are said here, but the sentiment behind those truths are fraught with malcontent.

Mental Gymnastics are very much in practice here.

Pallas

Jim Ryan won't let me watch the Xbox July Event
w9GGh3H.png
Yeah about that... Jim wants to keep your moral up. He’s nervous MHK... He thinks Phil has one nasty ace up his sleeve. His ultimate trap card, you can say. Phil isn’t telling anyone about it, not even more.

MS need to create some buzz outside of the small hardcore Xbox fan demographic.

So far, their reveals of the hardware and games event is extremely small fry compared to anything Sony does with PS5.

Even the PS5's futuristic design itself was created to move the needle. It is divisive but great design is. It's sitting at 25m views on Youtube after a week. MS, on the other hand, decided to appeal to the small number of Xbox male hardcore with a rectangle tower. Only 12m views in SIX MONTHS.

This is the different mindsets of the two companies at play.

Hobbygaming

We have picked up the winning console since PS1 on launch or by Christmas season that year. With the exception of 360, but that was winning until MS totally blew it with hardware failures - even then, we were quick to switch to PS3 before all that kinect business.
They don't have a chance to outsell Sony worldwide but they can get some market share back and it starts with these shows, they have to deliver

For me the main problem with MSs shows is that it's been too easy to predict most of what they ended up showing - I'd like to see 2/3 surprises.

If no surprises, I'll be looking out for Fable.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
As much as I hate lists....These are the bombs I'm hoping to see dropped in July

1. Halo Infinite gameplay
2. Hell Blade 2 gameplay
3. Playground Games (Fable?) trailer
4. The Initiative New IP (not expecting gameplay, but a nice trailer would be awesome)
5. New studio acquisition - make it a juicy one
6. The UE5 demo or something of similar merit
7. Xbox Lockhart
8. New AAA State of Decay
9. Next Gen Forza
10. Xbox Velocity Architecture in action.
11. Dolby Atmos presentation for 3D audio.

Last edited:
I guess I can't imagine anyone caring. People don't buy PlayStation consoles for the subscription services or game rentals. They buy them for the blockbusters they can't play elsewhere. Nintendo is the same way.

Personally, if Sony said they were turning PS Now into a GamePass equivalent, I'd be pissed. I realize what it costs to make a constant stream of games at the caliber of God of War, Last of Us, Ghost of Tsushima, Spider-Man and Horizon - and a "straight to rental" won't sustain that level of detail.

But, that's getting off subject and I realize many aren't ready to accept that reality.

That’s probably the same shit flat Earthers tell themselves. How adorable.

DeaDPo0L84

I want Microsoft to come out and genuinely wow me. Halo infinite even if it misses the mark in some regard will still be a good game and fun to play with friends. But honestly as far as AAA 1st party that seems like the only huge game we can look forward to going into the fall.

My biggest concern is Microsoft finally puts together 2-3 really interesting 1st party games that can mirror the God of Wars and Horizon:Zero Dawns but then the xbox playerbase doesn't actually buy them so they move onto other projects. I'm thinking of sunset overdrive which deserved so much more attention and sales.

PS5 stole all the momentum Xbox was working to slowly build up with Series X in the blink of an eye. The PS5 showcase was an absolute deluge of games.

From where I'm standing, it looks like they left the door wide open for Microsoft to absolutely obliterate that showcase.

I was waaay more hyped for the PS5 reveal being that that they had been silent for so long (are we not factoring this in?).
And I came away VERY disappointed with glorified Spiderman DLC, Ratchet and Clank running at 30fps, an embarrassingly average showing from Gran Turismo 7 and a ton of filler.
At the end of the day, I was only happy with the Horizon 2 trailer and the Kena Bridge of Spirits trailer (based on the art style).

MS realistically has to have good showings of 3 or 4 big titles and maybe a couple other surprises to top the Sony event we got.

Vawn

Banned
And I came away VERY disappointed with glorified Spiderman DLC, Ratchet and Clank running at 30fps, an embarrassingly average showing from Gran Turismo 7 and a ton of filler.

The STREAM was 30 FPS. Who cares what the video was - all that matters is the game.

Spider-Man isn't DLC.

Gran Turismo 7 looks good.

You left off a bunch of huge games like Horizon, Demon's Souls, etc.

Last edited:

Leyasu

Banned
Half of Microsoft Studios are demoted to Kinect, Gamepass filler games .. Rare incl. The other half are going to crank out more Halos, Forzas, Gears, Horizons ... only Ninja Theory has the power to impress me and let´s be honest, Hellblade ($20 title) was more a movie than a game.

Remove the voices and all you have is a walking simulator with bad puzzles and sponge battles, unlocking doors all while being bombarded with flashy visuals that should "make you feel uncomfortable, headache inducing, that´s prolly how someone must feel when undergoing a psychosis, lets add big red faces of her during boss battles, more flashy, acid tripping graphics".

All their games, even "cartoony" games like Grounded or EVerwild, Sea of Thieves that stuarts dislikes, are full of mtx, multiplayer focused ... they have to monetize the living shit out of their games (post release).
This is N4G level of posting.

DeaDPo0L84

I won't argue concerning where Horizon sits as far as being a heavy hitter or not since you mentioned you're using your friends as the basis of your argument.

BUT, Horizon was one of the best selling PS4 games selling 10 million copies by February 2019 and it was still selling beyond that point. I'd say that qualifies as a heavy hitter, especially when it's a new unproven ip, now people are gonna be even more excited for the sequel.

Hobbygaming

I want Microsoft to come out and genuinely wow me. Halo infinite even if it misses the mark in some regard will still be a good game and fun to play with friends. But honestly as far as AAA 1st party that seems like the only huge game we can look forward to going into the fall.

My biggest concern is Microsoft finally puts together 2-3 really interesting 1st party games that can mirror the God of Wars and Horizon:Zero Dawns but then the xbox playerbase doesn't actually buy them so they move onto other projects. I'm thinking of sunset overdrive which deserved so much more attention and sales.
This is something that really resonates with me. When I only had my Xbox and I was enjoying games like Sunset Overdrive, Quantum Break, etc. It was disappointing to find out that fellow Xbox fans weren't supporting those games

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
For me the main problem with MSs shows is that it's been too easy to predict most of what they ended up showing - I'd like to see 2/3 surprises.

If no surprises, I'll be looking out for Fable.

I don't think it's about being predictable in terms of games. It's about predictability in terms of gameplay.

I'd LOVE a Ratchet and Clank game that focused on co-op, or some other interesting design innovation. Instead we got a Ratchet and Clank game where, if you turned down the resolution and looked at it from from away you'd say "Which Ratchet and Clank is this?"

Same with Gran Turismo or Demons Souls. We predicted these titles to be there but they just look like slightly prettier versions of games we've been playing for years.

So if Microsoft shows up with a Perfect Dark, that'll be predictable. Now if Perfect Dark just looks like an Uncharted clone that's one thing, if it tries to do something fresh, that's entirely different.

Same goes for Halo Infinite, Forza 8 etc...if we see these titles actually do something different (exciting) I think their predictability becomes largely meaningless.

gypsygib

I won't argue concerning where Horizon sits as far as being a heavy hitter or not since you mentioned you're using your friends as the basis of your argument.

BUT, Horizon was one of the best selling PS4 games selling 10 million copies by February 2019 and it was still selling beyond that point. I'd say that qualifies as a heavy hitter, especially when it's a new unproven ip, now people are gonna be even more excited for the sequel.

I still maintain as mentioned in my original comment on page 2 that a $100 cheaper XSX will appeal to the early adopters, at least in terms of MS getting closer to 50/50 market share and that Sony exclusives won't be enough maintain Playstation's dominance but who knows, guess we'll see. Exciting times!

Appreciate the rational discussion and tolerance for different opinions.

DeaDPo0L84

I still maintain as mentioned in my original comment on page 2 that a $100 cheaper XSX will appeal to the early adopters, at least in terms of MS getting closer to 50/50 market share and that Sony exclusives won't be enough maintain Playstation's dominance but who knows, guess we'll see. Exciting times!

Appreciate the rational discussion and tolerance for different opinions.

Microsoft is definitely in a better place now than years ago when Mattrick was attempting to kill the company. I think they will find success moving forward. People forget in the back and forth that Microsoft doesn't need to sell more than Sony to be profitable. Sure it sounds good as a tagline in a article or something that can be used in discussion. But ultimately they just need to keep taking the right steps and keep their house in order and success will follow.

If anyone can afford to they should find a way to participate in each ecosystem as each one offers something different. Me and the wife were just playing Sea of Thieves a couple nights ago on PC, tonight we will be playing Last of Us 2, why miss out 🤷‍♂️

MastaKiiLA

From where I'm standing, it looks like they left the door wide open for Microsoft to absolutely obliterate that showcase.

I was waaay more hyped for the PS5 reveal being that that they had been silent for so long (are we not factoring this in?).
At the end of the day, I was only happy with the Horizon 2 trailer and the Kena Bridge of Spirits trailer (based on the art style).

MS realistically has to have good showings of 3 or 4 big titles and maybe a couple other surprises to top the Sony event we got.
This is the kind of thing that fuels the console wars. Not that you said anything wrong, but it's that you expect one reveal to blow another out of the water. In what way?

• Graphically? Look how people are talking about the PS5 visuals, which are probably an order of magnitude better than the PS4's. The jump from PS5 to XSX is going to be tiny, to the point of inconsequential. Think AMD vs Nvidia in the PC realm. You're splitting hairs at that point.
  • Game lineup? That's entirely subjective. I love PS games, but I've also never owned an Xbox, and only very recently got back into PC gaming. Most of the PC games I have are also available on both PS and XB platforms. So your opinion of game lineups will always be heavily shaded by which platform you've primarily spent your time gaming on in the past.
You can never build a consensus. DF, or some other outlet will perform technical analysis to point out some technical differences here or there, but you'll have many people rightfully pointing out that the differences are negligible, and largely indiscernible to the untrained/unaided eye. So the conversation always devolves into some partisan BS fueled by bias, and concluding with everyone getting covered in poop. I used to shit on mobile gaming back in the day, but look at me now. I play mobile games more than PC games. Why? I enjoy a couple of games on my phone that provide entertainment while I work. In the end, I wouldn't build up hope of either console setting the world ablaze. I've set my expectations at getting the Sony 1st party games that I've enjoyed in the past, and the few 3rd party titles that have had an impact on me, like NBA2K, Monster Hunter, GTA and whatever open world One Piece title comes next. Xbox fans should probably just hope MS can make good on the same quality titles they've enjoyed on that platform. No side is going to cream the other on the presentation side. It's all going to be more and more samey as the years go on. The days of difference are over. We've been in the valley of diminishing returns for the better part of a decade.

Bigfroth

All it's going to tell us is how Microsoft is going to handle 3rd place. Go out in a blaze of glory or fall flat on there face. It's not going to be some golden ticket to the top. Microsoft has never been a world contender in videogames and never will be. They should take there participation ribbon and be proud.

Top Bottom