• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HDR Gaming

Do you have a good HDR display?

• Yes (OLED)

Votes: 119 51.3%
  • Yes (LED LCD)

Votes: 96 41.4%
  • No and I don't plan on getting one

Votes: 11 4.7%
  • No and I plan to get one

Votes: 6 2.6%

• Total voters
I have a Sony KD-65XE9005. It's not OLED, bat has a backlit+local dimming LED panel. It's a great TV.
HDR however I'm not too fond of on this TV. Really oversatures the colors.
Yea, it can be hard to calibrate any kind of LED because the brightness makes it easy to blow the contrast out. Took me a while to calibrate mine.

Ashtyr

Neo Member
If you're talking about the Samsung,its just an OLED,no quantom dot layer. Not sure if its gonna be an LG WRGB panel or an their RGB panels,they've started making them for laptops

No no, I mean the new QD-Display / QD-Oled TVs whatever you want to call them.

They will come out in 55" and 65" by SONY and SAMSUNG, and it has been said that SAMSUNG would also launch a 34 "one.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
My main PC gaming monitor was a Predator X35 but after storms last weekend it died so replaced it with a 48" C1 and even though OLED is gorgeous I miss my X35

Still trying to dial in this C1 and I am used to how OLED looks having a C9 since they launched

I guess its just what I had gotten used to having that punch the X35 had and do love the extra screen space but so far wanting to go back to the X35

Yea, it can be hard to calibrate any kind of LED because the brightness makes it easy to blow the contrast out. Took me a while to calibrate mine.
Agreed. I think for many people, it's better to view HDR as a tool, rather than a feature. While a feature may require the user to turn it on, or make literally minimal adjustments. A tool is something that can require more involved adjustments and fine tuning.

Many people look at features and see HDR, and think it'll just work. To be honest, that's a perfectly logical conclusion to make. If people could view HDR more as a tool, that can allow you to adjust for the absolute best picture... I think both consumers as well as HDR as a whole would be better off.

Forth

Apologies for digging up an old thread but does anyone notice why some games performance is better with HDR turned off on PS5?
Does HDR use PS5 system resources?

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Apologies for digging up an old thread but does anyone notice why some games performance is better with HDR turned off on PS5?
Rendering in HDR has a performance cost, yes, but it's pretty slight.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Ive never encountered that, can you give us an example of what you are experiencing in what title?

It pushed more data per pixel hence requiring higher bandwidth.

PS5 supports 12-bit HDR (as defined by the HDMI 2.1 spec) whereas SDR caps out at 8-bit.

Let's say that you're playing at 4K 60 with 12-bit HDR. Each frame is made up of 3840 x 2160 = 8294400 pixels.

In SDR you're using 8-bits for each color channel (RGBA) so 32 bits (4 bytes) for each pixel. For a 4K image that's 8294400 x 4 = 33177600 bytes per frame which is almost 32MB.

In HDR, you're using 12-bits (10 bits or 4:4:2 if you're on HDMI 2.0) for each color channel so you get 48 bits (6 bytes) for each pixel. That comes out to 8294400 x 6 = 49766400 bytes per frame (48 MB). That's a difference of pushing almost 10MB more per frame.

Other than bandwidth, you might also have to consider any performance overhead for using higher precision calculations for things like color interpolation.

Forth

Thanks, that makes sense. Basically HDR requires more data being pushed down the HDMI cable into the TV?
I always thought that running with HDR on made the back of my PS5 hotter.

Top Bottom