• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HDR Gaming

Do you have a good HDR display?

• Yes (OLED)

Votes: 119 51.3%
  • Yes (LED LCD)

Votes: 96 41.4%
  • No and I don't plan on getting one

Votes: 11 4.7%
  • No and I plan to get one

Votes: 6 2.6%

• Total voters

TrueLegend

I am not insulted in the slightest. I simply think its funny the way you word things in a hyperbolic manner that you do.

I really don't care what you see when you speak/type in such ways. I made a light hearted jab with a gif that appears to somehow gave you the impression I am refuting everything you said as false. Never said that in the slightest. I was attacking how you said things. Not what you said.

I am not seeing anybody here being hostile. At least not what I would call hostile and I see them taking a very similar approach to you in terms of tone.

Yeah I guess you can claim i misquoted you. BUt again my point was how you said it. So it doesn't really matter.

But this is now off topic so I will simply say, Good Day, enjoy MicroLED. I am guessing its not the only Micro thing about you. (for the love of god I am kidding)
Well here is the thing I don't take jabs, I keep things grounded. It's like people are talking about how 1080p is great in 2010. I am like yeah its great but wait till you see 4K. The reason I am talking about MicroLEd is from that perspective. Yeah OLED HDR is cool wait till you see MicroLEDHDR becase it's that better. Because what's new and expensive for now will trickle down later.

ParaSeoul

Also you were banned previously for creating a similar thread where you straight up went mocking everybody on that thread because you assumed that you were the only one with an OLED TV.
??? No I got banned for making fun of someone saying some guy must be a Switch owner because he said the differences in in input lag don't matter and everyone should be fine with under 40ms of input lag.

I literally advised people in a post yesterday to just get whatever is cheaper if they're on the fence with LCD vs OLED. I myself was on the fence between the QN90A and C1 and got the C1 because it was cheaper. I'd be happy with either.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

DigitalPepperyAmphiuma-size_restricted.gif

65", 1600-1800 nits, ~646 dimming zone FALD thats better than the Neo QLEDs from 2021 due to their poor panel choice for most models and slow zone transition speed being a caveat to how good you'd expect it to be with 1000s of zones (65").

You gotta get that 240+/480+ (For 55"/65") FALD to really start to see HDR properly on an LCD. Just buy an OLED if you can't afford a flagship Samsung, but even then I wouldn't buy a Samsung for gaming due to bloomy game mode + slow miniLED FALD. Its nice for movies but they still fuck around too much and you lose detail you would've seen on OLED to control blooming.

So really if you want an easy answer just buy a Sony, LG or Pana OLED. Only other option is buying select older, used models like ZD9, DX902, Q9FN, Q90R* and a few others. Thats all 4K, 8K there are LCD options but its stupid money.

*This has big caveats though and you'd want professional calibration to get the EOTF more in order.

Last edited:

Kenpachii

HDR looks good, but i never use it for the simple reason it doesn't work for streaming. I got a fake HDR option on the screen that looks about 90% of what hdr looks like and does the work well tho.

Kuranghi

HDR is great. Games without it look dull now

Yeah, so much pop is lost. You have to go back to that "crush the shadows and blow out all the highlights to create a good contrast in SDR" effect which is so poor in comparison to a true dynamic range increase with HDR.

The annoying thing is they still blow out the highlights a lot of the time, that really annoys me, whenever I see it happening really egregiously I've checked how it looks in my non-game mode and lowering the digital white level (Contrast on Sony and most other brands) to make sure its not settings or limitations of game mode and its the same.

This happens with both PC and console so I don't think its the GPUs HDMI output limiting dynamic range to 1000 nits or anything like that either, its just a holdover from SDR afaics.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
what you say does not make the slightest sense.

A good HDR or bad HDR will not be because it is oled or not, it is dictated by the specifications of the TV.

My TV is not Oled, I assure you it has a very very good HDR
It's determined by the contrast ratio. A typical LCD screen doesn't get that contrast ratio, unless it's some kind of micro-LED hybrid or whatever.

I should have said LED broadly, not OLED, but you take my meaning. My HDR screen does not do HDR well enough to be worth it.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
I have HDR displays. I honestly don't know if I see the difference while I'm playing. It's probably there but I don't really stop to look at the scenery much.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
I have HDR displays. I honestly don't know if I see the difference while I'm playing. It's probably there but I don't really stop to look at the scenery much.
Just because your display supports HDR as a format, doesn't mean it has the contrast or brightness specifications needed to display that stuff correctly. On most TVs it's kind of pointless. On good LED TVs with 20,000:1 contrast or better, it's pretty dramatic.

Ashtyr

Neo Member
It's determined by the contrast ratio. A typical LCD screen doesn't get that contrast ratio, unless it's some kind of micro-LED hybrid or whatever.

I should have said LED broadly, not OLED, but you take my meaning. My HDR screen does not do HDR well enough to be worth it.
You are still wrong, obviously a low-end led is not going to give you a good HDR, there are no low-end oleds so everything is correct out there, although LG's A1 for a lot of infinite contrast that it gives you, the lack of brightness limits it a lot to have a good HDR

If you want a good HDR in LED you have to go to high ranges, or at least medium ones like Q80a or X95j, and in fact I would say that it is precisely in HDR where the LED draws its strength, but not the typical LED, a high range

ParaSeoul

You are still wrong, obviously a low-end led is not going to give you a good HDR, there are no low-end oleds so everything is correct out there, although LG's A1 for a lot of infinite contrast that it gives you, the lack of brightness limits it a lot to have a good HDR

If you want a good HDR in LED you have to go to high ranges, or at least medium ones like Q80a or X95j, and in fact I would say that it is precisely in HDR where the LED draws its strength, but not the typical LED, a high range
Q80A is an IPS panel,wouldn't recommend that.

Tunned

After gaming on a Dell Ultrasharp 24" 1080p IPS monitor for almost 10 years, I bought a LG C9 last year to use as a second monitor for gaming. I was blown the fudge away when I loaded up Forza Horizon 4 on the OLED, and subsequently with every next game I tried next. The jump in quality and color was incredible, plus 120hz and VRR, so good

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Probably not, because I can hardly even tell when it's on.

It's a 4K Sony HDR 65 inch TV though, so if it sucks for HDR then that's pretty stupid. It was plastered all over the box.

I don't think I'll notice anything unless I get an OLED personally.

Last edited:

Rbk_3

I personally find HDR pretty overrated. I have an LG C9 OLED but I prefer gaming on my monitor. It is an "HDR 600" AW2721D but I don't even turn HDR on.

Shtef

Love it, the biggest upgrade I have seen on my tv when i went from 1080p to 4k set it was not resolution but HDR.

A.Romero

I like HDR a lot. Have experienced it with a KS9000, a C1 and a mid range PC monitor.

KS9000: Great brightness which makes colors pop. Blooming is really annoying (I see most content with subtitles so it's basically present with everything). Lots of color banding as well.
C1: Great contrast and acceptable brightness in my environment (no direct sunlight). No blooming with subs which is a huge win for me.
PC Monitor: HDR is disabled because I see 0 benefit. If anything it makes the colors look bad, like washed out. It's OK, I only care about 144 hz and a decent resolution for this environment.

The way it's implemented is really important as well. With consoles it works much better than on PC. I have tried it with a PS4 and a PS5. PC games are hit or miss.

So far I think Sony first parties have used it the best. God of War, Shadow of the Colossus and Ghost of Tsushima come to mind.

That said, I prefer it but I can live with it. I can still enjoy games that lack it either because it's missing or because they are old.

ParaSeoul

I like HDR a lot. Have experienced it with a KS9000, a C1 and a mid range PC monitor.

KS9000: Great brightness which makes colors pop. Blooming is really annoying (I see most content with subtitles so it's basically present with everything). Lots of color banding as well.
C1: Great contrast and acceptable brightness in my environment (no direct sunlight). No blooming with subs which is a huge win for me.
PC Monitor: HDR is disabled because I see 0 benefit. If anything it makes the colors look bad, like washed out. It's OK, I only care about 144 hz and a decent resolution for this environment.

The way it's implemented is really important as well. With consoles it works much better than on PC. I have tried it with a PS4 and a PS5. PC games are hit or miss.

So far I think Sony first parties have used it the best. God of War, Shadow of the Colossus and Ghost of Tsushima come to mind.

That said, I prefer it but I can live with it. I can still enjoy games that lack it either because it's missing or because they are old.
God of War was my first "wow this HDR thing is actually amazing" moment,also on lcd i never noticed blooming but the first time i saw subtitles on oled it gave me the wow factor funnily enough because it had no blooming and i was just used to the look of bloomed subtitles.

Rbk_3

C9 HDR brightness has been measured to around 650 nits on 5%-10% white levels, this lowers the more white covers the screen.

LG C9 (OLED65C9) 4K OLED TV Review | AVForums
And Rtings tested it at 850 for 2-10% windows. Either way, it more than meets the required brightness levels for proper HDR on an OLED panel that has an infinite contrast ratio.

The HDR on my OLED is way better than on my KS8000 edge lit QLED that reaches 1600 nits peak brightness.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I personally find HDR pretty overrated. I have an LG C9 OLED but I prefer gaming on my monitor. It is an "HDR 600" AW2721D but I don't even turn HDR on.
Having a C9 as well I tend to agree with you but mainly to the point of really only wanting HDR in certain games that are slower paced with gorgeous vistas.

Other than that I also play on an HDR 600 monitor the LG 27GP950 and never turn HDR on there either as that monitor gets plenty bright just don't need even 600 nits sitting 2 feet from my eyes

benno

And Rtings tested it at 850 for 2-10% windows. Either way, it more than meets the required brightness levels for proper HDR on an OLED panel that has an infinite contrast ratio.

The HDR on my OLED is way better than on my KS8000 edge lit QLED that reaches 1600 nits peak brightness.
I'm sure it's wonderful. But you're also wrong about the KS8000 as that's just 1000nits. I know because I sold one about a year ago before I moved to Samsung 8k, which broke, so I moved back down to a Aorus FV43U monitor for the 144hz VRR refresh. HDR on the KS was one of the first TV's with HDR so was hit and miss. HDR on recent screens are much better.

Pimpbaa

On my LG CX I find HDR far more noticeable and pleasing than a 4k resolution. I find myself skipping over games that don't have it or have it poorly implemented (except on Switch obviously).

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
what the heck is going on with gradients in Halo infinite.. no film grain/dithering does that to your game.
They tried to add a fake transparent glow to crosshair and in the complete dark (the tunnel where they first tell you how to use flashlight) it looks like shit.
Now this is overexposed picture of the tv.. so iphone did it's stuff. it's not AS bad in reality but still... I expect dithering or 10-12 bit real color in these games....

glmeJda.jpg

intbal

what the heck is going on with gradients in Halo infinite.. no film grain/dithering does that to your game.
They tried to add a fake transparent glow to crosshair and in the complete dark (the tunnel where they first tell you how to use flashlight) it looks like shit.
Now this is overexposed picture of the tv.. so iphone did it's stuff. it's not AS bad in reality but still... I expect dithering or 10-12 bit real color in these games....

glmeJda.jpg

What system are you playing on?
Crackdown 3 will do that if you have "allow 4:2:2" turned on.
I'm not currently playing Infinite, but maybe check that.

Last edited:

Rbk_3

I'm sure it's wonderful. But you're also wrong about the KS8000 as that's just 1000nits. I know because I sold one about a year ago before I moved to Samsung 8k, which broke, so I moved back down to a Aorus FV43U monitor for the 144hz VRR refresh. HDR on the KS was one of the first TV's with HDR so was hit and miss. HDR on recent screens are much better.

I had it professionally calibrated and he literally measured a 10% window at 1600 nits, but ok you know better I am sure. Also, Rtings samples were 1500 almost.

CpafcPF.png

Last edited:

benno

are you UK or elsewhere. A KS7000 in the UK is a KS8000 in USA. A KS8000 uk is a higher spec that KS8000 USA. etc etc KS7000 uk and KS8000 USA is 1000nits.

AVForums measured KS8000 UK at 1300 nits max 10%, not that 10% of the screen showing 1300 nits is important, who the fuck cares if 10% of the screen is bright when HDR usually needs a full screen to show anything.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
What system are you playing on?
Crackdown 3 will do that if you have "allow 4:2:2" turned on.
I'm not currently playing Infinite, but maybe check that.
That's nvidia full rgb, 10bit, hdr, full chroma, hdmi 2.1, pc mode... full suite :p

intbal

That's nvidia full rgb, 10bit, hdr, full chroma, hdmi 2.1, pc mode... full suite :p

I don't know what they've changed in the past year, but EvilBoris says the initial showing was in SDR. If that remains the case for the actual game, you're going to be stuck with banding, unless you use gradient smoothing (don't know what your tv/monitor/gpu is capable of).

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I don't know what they've changed in the past year, but EvilBoris says the initial showing was in SDR. If that remains the case for the actual game, you're going to be stuck with banding, unless you use gradient smoothing (don't know what your tv/monitor/gpu is capable of).

so you think the game is really in sdr and they badly "upscaled" it to hdr without proper gradienting etc ?
aka - it's not only my tv fault ? :p

Last edited:

intbal

Too many variables for me to even guess.
Especially since I don't even have the game. :messenger_winking:

For some reason, Microsoft took away my $1 Gamepass offer. It showed up one day (after the usual 3 month unsubscribed period), and I figured I'd just wait until the next morning. Well, the next morning it was gone and hasn't returned. I didn't realize Microsoft had shifted to the "Where's Waldo" format for deals.

Ashtyr

Neo Member

minute 4:56 it is likely that to more than one will break the schemes 🤷‍♂️

I have played in oled and a led top and if I had to keep one, I would choose the led without hesitation.

Yes, very dark horror games look better in the oled, but everything else I really prefer the led.

Obviously they are my tastes, but it is incredible how the idea that only oled gives good hdr or only oled is good to play has spread

T-Cake

I bought a cheap TV for my consoles just to get 4K. It is nowhere near adequate for HDR. But I’m moving back to PC instead of buying PS5 so it’s an ultra wide monitor I’ll need.

daveonezero

Banned
next year will come out 34" QD-Oled but prepare money, a lot :messenger_anxious:
Exactly. A Samsung neo or LG ultra wide are insane.

I’m looking at this.

GIGABYTE M34WQ 34"​

Technically it does hdr but it’s not enough contrast for movies and that is really what I want it for. But I need to use it as a monitor too.

Last edited:

ParaSeoul

next year will come out 34" QD-Oled but prepare money, a lot :messenger_anxious:
If you're talking about the Samsung,its just an OLED,no quantom dot layer. Not sure if its gonna be an LG WRGB panel or an their RGB panels,they've started making them for laptops

minute 4:56 it is likely that to more than one will break the schemes 🤷‍♂️

I have played in oled and a led top and if I had to keep one, I would choose the led without hesitation.

Yes, very dark horror games look better in the oled, but everything else I really prefer the led.

Obviously they are my tastes,

I had a similar choice to make recently and made the same decision for the same reasons.

I bought a Samsung QN90A Neo QLED.

HDR looks great, but I don’t feel like many games use it as well as they should. The new Forza looks great though.

Last edited:
HDR600 isn't really true HDR tbh
With the amount of snake oil behind the TV industry and the fads they come up with you have to wonder when will they all band together to make an actual standard everyone can agree on. Till that day it's just a fancy way of saying 'Overly Saturated'

ParaSeoul

With the amount of snake oil behind the TV industry and the fads they come up with you have to wonder when will they all band together to make an actual standard everyone can agree on. Till that day it's just a fancy way of saying 'Overly Saturated'
Just look at reviews if you're curious about a tv

ParaSeoul

I had a similar choice to make recently and made the same decision for the same reasons.

I bought a Samsung QN90A Neo QLED.

HDR looks great, but I don’t feel like many games use it as well as they should. The new Forza looks great though.
Went with the C1 myself because it was cheaper than the QN90A after sales,would be happy with either

My TV is not Oled, I assure you it has very very good HDR.

Technically, while OLED’s can display a great wide color gamut, they tend to top out at 650-850 nits of brightness because the manufacturers want to lessen the risk of burn in.
HDR10 is mastered expecting a peak of 1,000 possible nits of brightness.

While OLED has better blacks, there are also some color highlights that OLED’s simply can’t get bright enough to properly display.

Each tech has pros and cons.

Went with the C1 myself because it was cheaper than the QN90A after sales,would be happy with either

You know, what’s crazy is the Samsung was $1,599 vs $1,699 for the C1 in my area. The was a huge discount! But, yea, either one is a good choice. Neither are perfect, but both are great at what they do.

Sony

Nintendo
I have a Sony KD-65XE9005. It's not OLED, bat has a backlit+local dimming LED panel. It's a great TV.
HDR however I'm not too fond of on this TV. Really oversatures the colors.

Top Bottom