• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HDR Gaming

Do you have a good HDR display?

• Yes (OLED)

Votes: 119 51.3%
  • Yes (LED LCD)

Votes: 96 41.4%
  • No and I don't plan on getting one

Votes: 11 4.7%
  • No and I plan to get one

Votes: 6 2.6%

• Total voters

ToTTenTranz

Banned
I wonder how many of the "good LCDs" out there are actually good, considering how many HDR LCDs use edge-lit local dimming or even no local dimming at all. Or the illumination latency is so great that they behave like SDR panels in fast paced games.

From what I've been seeing, it's really hard to find a LCD that is decent for games, and quite expensive compared to LG's OLED offerings.

ParaSeoul

I wonder how many of the "good LCDs" out there are actually good, considering how many HDR LCDs use edge-lit local dimming or even no local dimming at all. Or the illumination latency is so great that they behave like SDR panels in fast paced games.

From what I've been seeing, it's really hard to find a LCD that is decent for games, and quite expensive compared to LG's OLED offerings.
Yeah you're looking at the high end mini LEDs for the best HDR if you're sticking with LCDs. I don't think any LCD tv still has edge lit dimming though,they just have no local dimming at all most of the time on the lower end.

G-DannY

Sony X900E in my living room hooked to an Xbox One X

But I play mostly now on my Series X, on my desk, with an LG GN800 with HDR disabled at system level: excellent monitor all around, but not FALD and not enough contrast ratio to have even a good HDR. 120fps/120hz VRR + fast response time is a lot more worth than HDR there.

Last edited:

ToTTenTranz

Banned
an LG GN800 with HDR disabled at system level: excellent monitor all around, but not FALD and not enough contrast ratio to have even a good HDR. 120fps/120hz VRR + fast response time is a lot more worth than HDR there.

Why do you disable HDR on that monitor though? Even if the difference is small, you're still getting more brightness information out of the 10 bit signal and it should help with contrast in darker scenes. Does HDR hurt the panel's response times somehow?

G-DannY

Why do you disable HDR on that monitor though? Even if the difference is small, you're still getting more brightness information out of the 10 bit signal and it should help with contrast in darker scenes. Does HDR hurt the panel's response times somehow?

HDR on a monitor without the adequate contrast ratio and local dimming is basically washing out things more than in SDR. Seeing same games in HDR on X900E and LG GN800, I can say clearly that HDR on my monitor is not worth it at all.

Last edited:

ParaSeoul

120fps/120hz VRR + fast response time is a lot more worth than HDR there.
Girl Why Dont We Have Both GIF

ToTTenTranz

Banned
HDR on a monitor without the adequate contrast ratio and local dimming is basically washing out things more than in SDR. Seeing same games in HDR on X900E and LG GN800, I can say clearly that HDR on my monitor is not worth it at all.

It was expected to not behave anywhere near a FALD TV, but are you sure you're losing image quality by turning HDR on? It could be just a matter of using the right profile.

FUBARx89

You need to buy a FALD LCD for proper HDR. So you're looking at the higher end sets. Even then it needs a decent amount of dimming zones relative to the screen size.

Edge lit screens are worthless for the brightness aspect of hdr. WGC alone itself is better than brightness in my opinion, but different strokes for different folks.

I personally bought a flagship Samsung for true hdr.

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
A 1500 nits HDR TV and a 600 nits HDR monitor.

It was expected to not behave anywhere near a FALD TV, but are you sure you're losing image quality by turning HDR on? It could be just a matter of using the right profile.

I had somewhat similar types of issues on Windows 10 with my Samsung Odyssey G7. It was especially annoying that it dimmed everything SDR (both desktop and games), but Windows 11 somehow fixed these issues, it looks like it should now (relative to being non-FALD and 600 nits), relatively good brightness and contrast on both desktop and in games.

Last edited:

G-DannY

add to it that on Xbox Series X, HDR is BOUND to 4k resolution and 60fps

so you have to choose, play at 120fps SDR (if the game supports it ofc) OR 60fps with HDR.

Salmon

Not if you watch an original UHD disc, streaming is hit and miss.
I never stream. I only watch the source material. The thing is that the industry doesn't really know how to use it yet. It's WAY to much and it looks horrible. I have a pro calibrated LG 77 G1, so there's nothing wrong there.

TrueLegend

LG OLEDs have some of the worst colors in HDR. if you are into HDR get Sony MasterSeries. They are good enough TVs though. If you really want true picture quality get a mastering monitor. OLEDs will always suffer from the black crush. So if you got money get a MicroLED. I dont hate LG its just their color science is actually tuned towards the way Korean TVs are graded and no amount of color calibration can fix the 'coolness' of it. It just washes the warm hues.

I am not shitting on the most popular TVs and likely what most of you own, I am just saying it's a relative thing. Compared to a MicroLED, you can throw those OLEDs to gutter. The upside is you are not missing a lot of content watching things on your cheap OLED, because not a lot of content is mastered at high fidelity that microLEDs can provide. Most content is shot at 2KRAW with Arri than upscaled for 4K bluray and then if you are not using physical media you get barely even half of the bitrate.

Once ML becomes engrained into all visual productions then MicroLED will probably start getting cheaper although nothing is going to be cheaper if we are going with the current pace of things. I am into HDR all way. I have been playing a lot of games in Auto HDR too. For something that is not native implementation Microsoft just nailed it unlike the rest of the Windows 11 which needs a lot of improvement.

Salmon

LG OLEDs have some of the worst colors in HDR. if you are into HDR get Sony MasterSeries. They are good enough TVs though. If you really want true picture quality get a mastering monitor. OLEDs will always suffer from the black crush. So if you got money get a MicroLED. I dont hate LG its just their color science is actually tuned towards the way Korean TVs are graded and no amount of color calibration can fix the 'coolness' of it. It just washes the warm hues.

I am not shitting on the most popular TVs and likely what most of you own, I am just saying it's a relative thing. Compared to a MicroLED, you can throw those OLEDs to gutter. The upside is you are not missing a lot of content watching things on your cheap OLED, because not a lot of content is mastered at high fidelity that microLEDs can provide. Most content is shot at 2KRAW with Arri than upscaled for 4K bluray and then if you are not using physical media you get barely even half of the bitrate.

Once ML becomes engrained into all visual productions then MicroLED will probably start getting cheaper although nothing is going to be cheaper if we are going with the current pace of things. I am into HDR all way. I have been playing a lot of games in Auto HDR too. For something that is not native implementation Microsoft just nailed it unlike the rest of the Windows 11 which needs a lot of improvement.
Hahahaha, what are you talking about? Have you misread an article or some sort? You're just guessing at this point and time.

HDR is a great addition IMO. I have a pretty bright room and will continue to as I love natural light flowing everywhere so I don't have an OLED but a Hisense U8G. While I can easily afford a C1 I just wanted something brighter, and I'm cheap when it comes to things and couldn't bring myself to pay over double for the OLED.

Random but related question. Does the UK still get those 1080p HDR tvs? I think Sony made one, and always found it interesting.

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

Hahahaha, what are you talking about? Have you misread an article or some sort? You're just guessing at this point and time.
He could be alluding to that OLEDs lose a lot of color when they get brighter which is why OLEDs have lower color volume than LCDs.

TrueLegend

What am I guessing? Have you even read what I said. I am telling how the state of HDR is for anyone who is interested in HDR, and that HDR is awesome however how awesome it can be is relative to display technologies, MicroLED being top and then we go down from there with both OLEDs and LEDs having their own advantages and drawbacks and a comparative view between two Top OLED providers one being LG and other being SONY. HDR obviously incorporates WCG and so obviously its about color and thus indirectly about luminosity since luminosity itself defines color. Saying LOL, to how the movies are made in this world and how color physics works only makes you sound obnoxious my dude.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Depends on the game but most of the time HDR is a real difference maker. As time has gone on its becoming more common and implemented well. Calibration on the other hand can be a shit show. Sometimes theres zero in game calibration tools. Sometimes theres tools but they tell you nothing. Ive had tools that flat out report the wrong desired output and is incorrect in terms of brightness and contrast. And other times they like you fine tune the shit out of it.

Some type of consistency would be nice.

MistBreeze

I have sony x900e tv I tried hdr on many games and movies or Netflix, amazon prime and the likes

the implementation differs depending on content but when implemented right it is a transformative experience

and it is the next big thing in tv after HD

Wizz-Art

I never stream. I only watch the source material. The thing is that the industry doesn't really know how to use it yet. It's WAY to much and it looks horrible. I have a pro calibrated LG 77 G1, so there's nothing wrong there.

Oh, then I don't know what to tell you because UHD for me as a collector of movies since '99 is the end all be all and that has to do with the implementation of HDR. As of today I own 250 UHD's, a very large percentage of them I upgraded from DVD/HD-DVD or Blu-ray also classic '60-'70s movies simply because I love how HDR makes the film look Most of the time I don't like how it's on Netflix/Amazon/Disney but on UHD it looks amazing and eventually I want my whole collection of 4000+ titles upgraded to UHD as I also think UHD is the defenitive format for home video.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!

jeff bridges opinion GIF

Holammer

Got a 240hz monitor with HDR600 recently. The effect is there, but I haven't tried much using the feature.
Turns out it's not an important feature for most pixel art games or metroidvanias.

Might install Ori just to see it in action properly.

TrueLegend

And thats your opinion too, my man. Its all just opinions here. Even if I was artificially programmed to be perfectly objective I would have limited sets of display to watch so statically yes there is a lot of margin for error but we are talking science and technology here. We are talking technological limitations of display technology, streaming technology. Color is very very specific science, even though each human eye sees each color differently individually just like every space time unit in this reality is exibited once by one person. Yet we have clocks, meaning we do generalizations for ease of understanding. So yeah my so called 'opinion' is atleast informed opinion formed with scientific temperament.

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
I got a Sony Z8H 75" on sale and while not an OLED it's quite close. I didn't want to risk burn in and wanted an 8K TV. HDR is awesome even from upscaled Dolby Vision 4K UHD BDs. It doesn't support 8K Dolby Vision but I got a PS5 so not a big deal (for now).

Last edited:

MilkyJoe

HDR is a great addition IMO. I have a pretty bright room and will continue to as I love natural light flowing everywhere so I don't have an OLED but a Hisense U8G. While I can easily afford a C1 I just wanted something brighter, and I'm cheap when it comes to things and couldn't bring myself to pay over double for the OLED.

Random but related question. Does the UK still get those 1080p HDR tvs? I think Sony made one, and always found it interesting.

Panasonic do one

But you can get a 4k HDR for pennies more, so no point

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
And thats your opinion too, my man. Its all just opinions here. Even if I was artificially programmed to be perfectly objective I would have limited sets of display to watch so statically yes there is a lot of margin for error but we are talking science and technology here. We are talking technological limitations of display technology, streaming technology. Color is very very specific science, even though each human eye sees each color differently individually just like every space time unit in this reality is exibited once by one person. Yet we have clocks, meaning we do generalizations for ease of understanding. So yeah my so called 'opinion' is atleast informed opinion formed with scientific temperament.
Its your hyperbolic comments that are for the lack of a better word, laughable.

"Compared to Micro LED Toss OLED in the gutter."

"OLEDs have some of the worst color"

"Good enough tvs"

If you have to preface something with, I am not shitting on the most popular TV's, chances are you are shitting on the most popular TV's.

ParaSeoul

Got a 240hz monitor with HDR600 recently. The effect is there, but I haven't tried much using the feature.
Turns out it's not an important feature for most pixel art games or metroidvanias.

Might install Ori just to see it in action properly.
HDR600 isn't really true HDR tbh

ParaSeoul

at least he has the best oled and the best led for games and movies, something will have to say

saw this video and don't understand the comparison,are they even priced similarly? I doubt it cause i got my C1 for cheaper than a QN90A

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
I have an LCD HDR display. So no, no I do not have a good HDR display.

HDR is more or less a "standard" feature now, even in basic IPS displays that don't have a tenth of the contrast ratio needed to display HDR content properly. HDR is legit but it's dumb unless you have an OLED so I keep it off.

TrueLegend

Its your hyperbolic comments that are for the lack of a better word, laughable.

"Compared to Micro LED Toss OLED in the gutter."

"OLEDs have some of the worst color"

"Good enough tvs"

If you have to preface something with, I am not shitting on the most popular TV's, chances are you are shitting on the most popular TV's.
How would you compare a jet and a commercial airliner. It seems you are taking scientific facts as insults. Also, I dont know why some people just dont read here and just go on misquoting turning something into hostile sentiment. Lets say you go to Popular Rating sites and channels like RTings, HDTVtest or Blurbusters, is their word any different to my comparison. How would one compare a 3090 to GTX 1070. Is 1070 a bad card, NO far from it. Infact I once said here it is slightly worst than PS5 at best and thats really good. But Compared to 3090 you can throw 1070 at gutter.

Second again to your misquoting I never said OLEDs have bad color I said LG OLEDs have bad color because they have a particular type of factory calibration. And here is the thing not everyone is about brand wars here or about condescending. I have LG OLED, I have Sony OLED, I have a Panasonic OLED and I have a HDR Monitor. So I am just telling you what I see. I literally told you how anyone honest would say. You can watch Digital Trends video about TVs he would like but can't have. Which is why I said its relative.

Last edited:

sobaka770

Banned
LG OLED here. Been using is for a few years now - there's really no going back even in SDR.

HDR on OLED is not the brightest but if you're in the dark room - it doesn't really matter - the contrast is where it's at. In a few years the micro-LED will probably take the crown over as the tech gets more mature.

Also - if you can calibrate your TV (SDR and HDR) - just do it. Out of the box TVs are almost never properly calibrated and the difference can be jarring when properly tuned.

TrueLegend

I like whenever someone makes a post like this they somehow always claim to have everything mentioned in the discussion.
I did not say I have everything because there are many OLED manufactures. What I have is just basic compared to what many purists have. Also you were banned previously for creating a similar thread where you straight up went mocking everybody on that thread because you assumed that you were the only one with an OLED TV. You also created this pole on that vision. One other guy also got banned for brand pampering. I am just saying how the state of HDR is in consumer grade hardware. If you go look at those super expensive MicroLEDs you will get why they have those price tags, Alright. I don't own one but I tend to not act a blind guy. Again I dont own everything that I mentioned but anyone can see something they dont own if they go to a store or electronic expose.

Last edited:

Ashtyr

Neo Member
I have an LCD HDR display. So no, no I do not have a good HDR display.

HDR is more or less a "standard" feature now, even in basic IPS displays that don't have a tenth of the contrast ratio needed to display HDR content properly. HDR is legit but it's dumb unless you have an OLED so I keep it off.

what you say does not make the slightest sense.

A good HDR or bad HDR will not be because it is oled or not, it is dictated by the specifications of the TV.

My TV is not Oled, I assure you it has a very very good HDR

saw this video and don't understand the comparison,are they even priced similarly? I doubt it cause i got my C1 for cheaper than a QN90A

He compares the best LEDs and OLEDs for mixed use, which he likes the most for HDR, obviously they are his tastes,

The price is relative, here in my country a C1 was at the same price as a Qn95, about a thousand euros in 55 "and about 1350 in 65"in the BF offers, but we talk about HDR not about prices

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
How would you compare a jet and a commercial airliner. It seems you are taking scientific facts as insults. Also, I dont know why some people just dont read here and just go on misquoting turning something into hostile sentiment. Lets say you go to Popular Rating sites and channels like RTings, HDTVtest or Blurbusters, is their word any different to my comparison. How would one compare a 3090 to GTX 1070. Is 1070 a bad card, NO far from it. Infact I once said here it is slightly worst than PS5 at best and thats really good. But Compared to 3090 you can throw 1070 at gutter.

Second again to your misquoting I never said OLEDs have bad color I said LG OLEDs have bad color because they have a particular type of factory calibration. And here is the thing not everyone is about brand wars here or about condescending. I have LG OLED, I have Sony OLED, I have a Panasonic OLED and I have a HDR Monitor. So I am just telling you what I see. I literally told you how anyone honest would say. You can watch Digital Trends video about TVs he would like but can't have. Which is why I said its relative.
I am not insulted in the slightest. I simply think its funny the way you word things in a hyperbolic manner that you do.

I really don't care what you see when you speak/type in such ways. I made a light hearted jab with a gif that appears to somehow gave you the impression I am refuting everything you said as false. Never said that in the slightest. I was attacking how you said things. Not what you said.

I am not seeing anybody here being hostile. At least not what I would call hostile and I see them taking a very similar approach to you in terms of tone.

Yeah I guess you can claim i misquoted you. BUt again my point was how you said it. So it doesn't really matter.

But this is now off topic so I will simply say, Good Day, enjoy MicroLED. I am guessing its not the only Micro thing about you. (for the love of god I am kidding)

Top Bottom