• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HDTV Question (A/V newbie)

Status
Not open for further replies.

thom

My TV wont impress any of you Video elitists in here but I just picked up a 30" Panasonic Tau HDTV.

I bought the HD plugs for the xbox and games like Ninja Gaiden are looking pants wettingly gorgeous. I have the Gamecube component cable on order and will pick up one for my PS2 soon.

I bought a Pansonic Progressive scan DVD player with it and the quality really doesn't look as good as my previous tv (27" panasonic tau flat screen tube) I have it hooked up through Monster Cable component cables...am I doing something wrong? or do progressive scan dvd players just look like crap on HDTV's?

Let me reitierate when I use the word "crap" the quality is good just not as good as my other non-HDtv.

golem

it should look good, the player is set to 16:9 and progressive mode right? what was your previous player?

thom

My previous player was the exact same model...I was so impressed with it's quality on my other tv I bought a second.

I have set the tv to 16:9 and movies (LOTR, StarWars Ep. 2) all have a slightly grainy look to them. They look good mind you just not as good as my other more "low tech" tv.

Odd.

XS+

Banned
A progressive DVD player + HDTV combo ought to produce a large difference in pic quality over non-HD. If the hookups and setting are right. Is your new TV widescreen or standard (4:3 'box-shaped')? If the latter you might want to try using the 4:3 setting. Just experiment with different video settings. on your player or TV.

I think the best video quality depends on your DVD player you have. I have two DVD players (one is region-free) for my standard-size HDTV, and I have the first DVD player set to 16:9 viewing for the best pic quality, while the other is set to 4:3 for best pic quality.

thom

OK I'm retarded.

My TV is widescreen so I setup my dvd player to play at 16:9 and I enabled progressive scan...movies are looking gorgeous.

I'm testing my new TV with "Star Wars Episode 2" (all digital baby), "LOTR: ROTK" and "One Hour Photo" (Mark Romanek makes neutrals gorgeous in this movie).

Thanks so much for the help Golem and XS!

Now can any of you guys recommend a good quality multi-component game console switch?

boo7z

thom said:
OK I'm retarded.

My TV is widescreen so I setup my dvd player to play at 16:9 and I enabled progressive scan...movies are looking gorgeous.

I'm testing my new TV with "Star Wars Episode 2" (all digital baby), "LOTR: ROTK" and "One Hour Photo" (Mark Romanek makes neutrals gorgeous in this movie).

Thanks so much for the help Golem and XS!

Now can any of you guys recommend a good quality multi-component game console switch?

Audio Authority makes good, auto-switching component adapters...they also have a model that switching analog and digital (optical or coax) audio.

http://www.audioauthority.com/consumer.html

Here's another HDtv question: Is there any type of box that can upscale a 720p signal to a 1080i signal? My HDtv only supports 1080i but not 720p.

Sai

cvkpaladin said:
Here's another HDtv question: Is there any type of box that can upscale a 720p signal to a 1080i signal? My HDtv only supports 1080i but not 720p.
I asked that same question in this thread. Check it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom