• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hellblade II’s big global marketing campaign has begun

Topher

Gold Member
They don't believe its gonna be a HFR or Forza Horizon in terms of reception, or even a Starfield.

I have no context on what reviewers are expecting from this thing, but I have yet to hear anything 'glowing' or even close to it about it.
Anthony Anderson Abc GIF by HULU

nial

Gold Member
The fact that all the discussion surrounding this game is people accepting that Ninja Theory is next on the chopping block, is just... 😬

Last edited:

TransTrender

Gold Member
Serious Q....is this MS's only major exclusive right now?
Quick Google search so maybe there's a more up to date or better answer but here's this:
Senua’s Saga: Hellblade II
Dungeons of Hinterberg
Stalker 2: Heart of Chornobyl
Avowed
Ara: History Untold
Towerborne
33 Immortals
Replaced
Sopa
Dead Static Drive
Ark 2
Indiana Jones and the Great Circle
Age of Mythology Retold

So Stalker 2 (if it comes), Avowed, and Indiana Jones.

DeepSpace5D

Hard to justify a ton of marketing budget when your internal assessment of its reception ain't so hot.

That is honestly surprising to read, especially when I think back on Redfall and when Spencer said their internal assessment of that one was in the double digits higher than the public reception it received. It seemed like their internal assessments of their own games were (perhaps unrealistically) higher than reality. Has that process changed for them?

The first Hellblade was well received wasn’t it? I assumed this sequel would be as well. At least on the surface, it appears to be more of the same with better visuals.

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
The fact that all the discussion surrounding this game is people accepting that Ninja Theory is next on the chopping block, is just... 😬
I mean after closing Tango by making good games you gotta think that the outlook for Ninja Theory isn't looking so good.

DeepSpace5D DeepSpace5D Hellblade 1 gives us an idea of what to expect and if it's more of the same I don't think it warrants $50 or more for a 5-8 hour one and done foray.

Last edited:
That is honestly surprising to read, especially when I think back on Redfall and when Spencer said their internal assessment of that one was in the double digits higher than the public reception it received. It seemed like their internal assessments of their own games were (perhaps unrealistically) higher than reality. Has that process changed for them?

The first Hellblade was well received wasn’t it? I assumed this sequel would be as well. At least on the surface, it appears to be more of the same with better visuals.

I would be surprised if it didn’t review well. It’s obvious Xbox still has a relationship with some outlets who will provide some kind of boost to the critical reception like Starfield.

Basically after what’s happened lately they need a PR win and I think this game and certain media folk are going to do just that.

Personally I’d like to see a genuine great game without all the bullshit that’s been going on.

It's starting to feel like they expect this game to bomb and no one in marketing wants to be standing next to it when that happens. Everyone is in survival mode.

It's the most corporate posture you can imagine. Overwhelmingly toxic for a game development ecosystem.

If the game improves on the first somewhat, it won’t be viewed as a dud surely? Or are you talking about sales?

Schmendrick

I doubt that game is worth purchasing, but maybe it's finally a valid reason for another gamepass trial membership.

Last edited:

DeepSpace5D

I mean after closing Tango by making good games you gotta think that the outlook for Ninja Theory isn't looking so good.

DeepSpace5D DeepSpace5D Hellblade 1 gives us an idea of what to expect and if it's more of the same I don't think it warrants $50 or more for a 5-8 hour one and done foray.
Yeah I’m not sure about the game from a value standpoint compared with its price, but I assumed it would be a critical darling based on how the first one was received.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Yeah I’m not sure about the game from a value standpoint compared with its price, but I assumed it would be a critical darling based on how the first one was received.
I think it really depends on length. If it's the same length I wouldn't pay more then $30. I did enjoy the first game as I liked the psychological horror component. However the lack of exploration and mediocre combat left much to be desired.

Humdinger

I'm hoping it's a good game. I enjoyed the first. I'm not that excited for the second, but I hope it turns out well. We shall see.

Last edited:

Varteras

Gold Member
Folks forget but this is the 2nd game from NT for MS. Bleeding Edge was the first. Bleeding Edge is also one of the few games whose servers MS actually shutdown in the wake of its reception and engagement, and this is during the GP era. Let that sink in.

Sounds to me like Ninja Theory isn't far away from the chopping block. Nor The Initiative for that matter, after what came out about Perfect Dark's struggles. Wouldn't be surprised if those two plus World's Edge are closed within the next month or so. That one just always felt like needless overhead to me.

Katatonic

The expectations for this game have been lowered to such a point that as long as it's semi competent it will score well.

You're confusing meme'ing microsoft management over their shit decisions and not caring for peoples who lost their job. Don't confuse both. I know it's hard.
Yep,..understanding is clearly hard for someone here, and it’s not me…good day.

Side note, if you are going to respond with a weak ass “What?”, be prepared to not oversimplify just to try to pin your weak post on me. Thanks.

Buggy Loop

Yep,..understanding is clearly hard for someone here, and it’s not me…good day.

Side note, if you are going to respond with a weak ass “What?”, be prepared to not oversimplify just to try to pin your weak post on me. Thanks.

You lump a bunch of peoples randomly in a basket and make the claim peoples don't care about lost jobs. The "what" is because your claim while clear, is insane and so fucking out there. GTFO

Get Out Theatre GIF by Tony Awards

Last edited:
Top Bottom