• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA 6: Has Global Illumination, More News At 11

MrRibeye

With the stunning reveal of ray-tracing technology being a huge focus for Rockstar in GTA 6, more news has come to light about the existence of global illumination in the game.

As you can see in this screenshot, sunlight transitions to shadow between buildings as the light bounces off the buildings surface next to it. This is global illumination which makes light realistically reflect off surfaces.

The effect will be most noticeable indoors with sunlight shining through windows, the sunlight will bounce around the room creating realistic lighting conditions.

This will also make nights a lot more realistic with light sources illuminating objects around them, this includes moonlight which will be far more realistic.

75D7fwhZLDyq.png

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Modern game has tried and tested rendering technique. I, for one, am shocked.
very few games have realtime global illumination, let alone RT global illumination. Dragons Dogma 2, Star Wars Jedi, and Avatar are the only major games to feature RTGI.

Several games like starfield, forza 8, and UE5 games like robocop and immortals have realtime GI but they are not hardware accelerated and thus dont have the same effect as RTGI in many scenarios. Forza 8 features software based GI and it looks substantially worse than it did at the reveal when it was likely running RTGI.

Still, 8 games is hardly the norm 4 years in.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
very few games have realtime global illumination, let alone RT global illumination. Dragons Dogma 2, Star Wars Jedi, and Avatar are the only major games to feature RTGI.

Several games like starfield, forza 8, and UE5 games like robocop and immortals have realtime GI but they are not hardware accelerated and thus dont have the same effect as RTGI in many scenarios. Forza 8 features software based GI and it looks substantially worse than it did at the reveal when it was likely running RTGI.

To be fair, the OP and the blurb he copied don't mention RTGI (real time, not ray traced), just global illumination. GI with direct and in-direct lighting is a pretty old technique, no?

Flabagast

Why don't you mention Cyberpunk which has the greatest lighting system ever by far ?

Have you an agenda here ?

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
I think Metro Exodus as well. Doesn’t Remnant 2 have it on consoles in the Quality Mode? Or it could be just software Lumen. I don’t recall.

SlimySnake

I think Metro Exodus as well. Doesn’t Remnant 2 have it on consoles in the Quality Mode? Or it could be just software Lumen. I don’t recall.
remnant 2 only has nanite. They couldn’t do both lumen and nanite. Lords of the fallen is another ue5 game that skipped lumen in favor of nanite.

Metro does indeed have it. Brothers remake uses Lumen, not sure if its hardware or software. Cyberpunk only uses it on PC. Consoles only get rt shadows.

There might be more that I’m not thinking of but realtime gi let alone rtgi is still very rare in games. Especially on consoles.

Guilty_AI

Global Illumination != Ray Traced Global Illumination.

There is other tech that simulates GI (dynamic, not baked) that isn't RT. Not all that uncommon either.

Last edited:
most likely baked GI, which is not something new.

There's very little to gain to do real time GI when you can just bake it in without the performance hit.

SlimySnake

most likely baked GI, which is not something new.

There's very little to gain to do real time GI when you can just bake it in without the performance hit.

There are some benefits for having RTGI instead of baking in textures. AO coverage gets an immediate upgrade, you dont have to ship dozens of gigabytes of lighting texture data, and your artists can easily update assets in the game world and see the results in realtime. for a big game like gta6, it might be something they implemented early on.

here is a really good example of how its not that easy to capture every single lighting condition in games with a dynamic time of day. game looks fairly identical during bright sunny days but there are several time periods and lighting conditions that still stick out. i think it really helps with foliage rich areas that dont get direct sunlight due to trees blocking sunlight.

vYucm5h.gif

whether or not rtgi enhances an urban game like gta6 remains to be seen.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Are we really going to dissect every news to pieces with this fucking games ? Casual auto 6 can go suck a dick.
Even dragons dogma 2 has gi.

KaiserBecks

I wish they'd focus more on physics. GTA4 had an amazing physics engine. Nowadays every game is pretty but motionless. Like statues.

I liked the driving in GTA4 as well, but lots of people critized it for being "too hard". I think the driving in GTA 5 was more of a reaction to that critizism.

YCoCg

Random thing to bring up now, DF confirmed this in their analysis video back when the trailer came out.

amigastar

I liked the driving in GTA4 as well, but lots of people critized it for being "too hard". I think the driving in GTA 5 was more of a reaction to that critizism.
Definitely yes, GTA 5 driving was supposed to be more like an arcade driving game. I love GTA 4 and GTA 5 driving both. To me one of the best arcade driving in games.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Good, now make it run 60 fps on the base PS5.
Please don't.
Should not be 60 on ps5 or ps5 pro.
Should be barely crawling 30fps on both and pushing tech. Like gta4 was.
And if it's 30fps on ps5, it will be the same or 40fps on ps5 pro. It's not double the power. It's the same cpu

Jedi doesn't have RT GI but it does have stuff like RT shadows. DD2 and Avatar do have RT GI. First game to have RT GI was Metro Exodus which the Avatar guys used as inspiration.

Metro, Control, Cyberpunk, Witcher 3 DE, Dying Light 2, Warhammer Dark Tide, Lego Builders Journey (insanely good looking game), any game with hardware lumen like Fortnite, Desordre (insane showcase of UE5 it even has path tracing), Dragons Dogma 2 and Avatar all use RT GI on PC. Only Witcher 3, Metro, DD2 and Avatar use RT GI on consoles.

remnant 2 only has nanite. They couldn’t do both lumen and nanite. Lords of the fallen is another ue5 game that skipped lumen in favor of nanite.

Metro does indeed have it. Brothers remake uses Lumen, not sure if its hardware or software. Cyberpunk only uses it on PC. Consoles only get rt shadows.

There might be more that I’m not thinking of but realtime gi let alone rtgi is still very rare in games. Especially on consoles.
Lorda of the Fallen does have Lumen (sw only), it also has nanite but it lacks VSM. Remnant has VSM and nanite but no Lumen.

Ray traced global illumination you say? Vice City with neon lights? I hope the PC release will have path tracing comparable to Cyberpunk

cr4TjsT.jpeg
XwCXm5u.jpeg
PUweDlx.jpeg
koGZGfq.jpeg
Rockstar is usually behind on tech when they release a PC game. GTA V was nice but very dated when it launched on PC, RDR2 launched on PC the same year Ray Tracing went big. At least RDR2 got DLSS but that's a simple add to a game that already had TAA in it's original release. I expect GTA 5 to have RT GI like DF noticed in the reveal video but also add-ons to the PC version like RT reflections, RT Diffuse lighting, RT AO etc.

Then Rockstar will release a PS6 version with path tracing in 2030 but not update the PC version (same as they did with GTA5).

Top Bottom