• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Helldivers 2 has overtaken Palworld as #1 selling game on Steam in the US | Also #1 most pre-ordered game on PSN US & other regions

Jigsaah

Gold Member
You love to see it.
Denise Richards Smile GIF
Mmmm...mmm. MMMMMMMM

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Hopefully it can have over 100,000 users concurrently on Steam by the end of the week. Or is that asking too much?

BlackTron

$31 on cdkeys

Ill give it a whirl this weekend but I’m neck deep in infinite wealth and tekken

I usually never preorder and wanted to wait until it's already out to read real life impressions but that is really tempting for thirty bucks...

Crayon

Got curious, checked out monetization. Frome steam forums:

1. Premium Warbonds = Gives you things you can unlock through medals earned through gameplay. Think of this as talent trees (except talents replaced with weapons/armor) that cost money to unlock access to.

2. Cosmetic cash shop. - Sells cosmetic armor and helmets, maybe capes/symbols/etc.

I've played mechwarrior online and Warframe and they had this style. The money in spent to the fun I had was actually a pretty good deal. I'm a tourist though. So I don't really know if either were good or bad for regular players.

This one is $40 though so that's different. Lower tolerance for intrusive stuff. Hopefully this has a good balance.

With fighting games they come out with season passes. Some with cosmetics on the side. This works out great. They are mapped out and you know how much you're gonna pay. Tekken 8 is $100 with the season pass bundle, then you do around another $100 over the life of the game. $200 game. Fair deal, I'll take it.

I hear mk monetization is horrific but you should not be playing round eye fighting games.

SF2CE was the og season pass. $70 1992 dollars. Again. And these days it's similar. You pretty much pay for the game over again to get the characters. But you get all the functional updates with the base game free so it's definitely better than back then.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
One thing to keep in mind is Steam best sellers is based on revenue generated as helldivers base price is around half that of anouther recently released GaaS title that means it would need to sell around twice as many copies compared to that game to hit the best seller list as the revenue generated is lower per copy sold.

This also applies to Palworld as its even lower, so Helldivers might currently be selling less copy's but generating more revenue, but it would be close for that to be the case. This is not to detract from the success of Helldivers, entering number 1 in the steam charts can be hard to crack, many other bigger budget AAA games from Rocksolid veteran studios are often unable to do so, one recent example saw a game sent out to die by its developers as it was a shit game that no one asked for.

Looks like this is anything but.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
One thing to keep in mind is Steam best sellers is based on revenue generated as helldivers base price is around half that of anouther recently released GaaS title that means it would need to sell around twice as many copies compared to that game to hit the best seller list as the revenue generated is lower per copy sold.

This also applies to Palworld as its even lower, so Helldivers might currently be selling less copy's but generating more revenue, but it would be close for that to be the case. This is not to detract from the success of Helldivers, entering number 1 in the steam charts can be hard to crack, many other bigger budget AAA games from Rocksolid veteran studios are often unable to do so, one recent example saw a game sent out to die by its developers as it was a shit game that no one asked for.

Looks like this is anything but.

I just hope the servers hold up, the game is fun and the DRM doesn't cause any issues. Because if the first and last thing happen it could kill the momentum and I hope this game is fun and a massive hit for the devs so they keep my bug swatting addiction in check.

Pulls out bug a salt 3.0

How does this game work for those of us that are forever alone? It looks cool, but no way am I getting a full squad to have fun.
I know only the first one, which was pretty much the same from videos I see, just another view. It was also supposed to be coop, but I played most of the time solo. I guess the real hard stuff was impossible that way, or my lack of skills holding me back, but it was definitely possible to enjoy it. Iirc you have to rush a bit more, since doing the objectives alerted the opponents and once they are on you, you better be done and just run. With a team you always have to look out to protect them and that is naturally more complicated to coordinate, especially since the action needed to happen on one screen- couch coop style-, which could be quite different now, with the ego perspective.
I very much hope that in the course of the gaas roadmap they also add some HD1 mode for the top down view.

GHG

Steam reviews aren't looking too hot so far. Complaints about servers not working, sloppy mouse controls and ridiculous microtransactions.

They deserve to get raked over the coals for this if the last one is true. Firmly in the avoid category for me right now.

cyiTPyn.jpg

*PC gamers enjoying those day and date sales. This proves that SONY should keep it with every release

They will for GAAS games as they always said they would. Enjoy.

Last edited:

GHG

This came up in the OT because it looks like the suits being sold are basically Pay 2 Win. People defended it.

Fucks sake. And people wonder how and why companies keep doing this and getting away with it.

People need to keep on complaining about it until it stops. Games shouldn't be designed around this crap.

Varteras

Gold Member
I was gonna pick this up on Steam but it sounds like a rather rough launch and poorly priced MTX that gives in-game advantages. Sounds like I'll save a little money for now.

Why wouldn't you compare it to studios of similar size? That way you can see which games are trending in the right direction.

1. Returnal
2. Demons Souls
3. Forespoken
4. Ghost wire Tokyo
5. Deathloop

It'll do better than all 5. I'm expecting DRG levels of success here. It'll continue being updated 4 years from now.
Well level of Success doesn't always correlate with dev team size and budget!

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Wait, there is pay to win? in a co op game? FFS.

Clever move Sony and the dev for not having reviews ready for launch then. :(

Steam reviews aren't looking too hot so far. Complaints about servers not working, sloppy mouse controls and ridiculous microtransactions.

They deserve to get raked over the coals for this if the last one is true. Firmly in the avoid category for me right now.

cyiTPyn.jpg

They will for GAAS games as they always said they would. Enjoy.
Playing now on pc and mouse feels great. had to turn off mouse smoothing. That is on by default for some reason.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: GHG

SmokedMeat

Gamer™

cyiTPyn.jpg

Oh shit, worse than Starfield!

Reactions: GHG

BlackTron

Crap did I make a mistake preordering last night...should have just waited for reviews. First time I ever fell for a preorder bonus. The drm thing alone is lame

GHG

Oh shit, worse than Starfield!

In the same ballpark, two games of the generation going head to head. What an intense battle.

209Q9Mx.jpg

Crap did I make a mistake preordering last night...should have just waited for reviews. First time I ever fell for a preorder bonus. The drm thing alone is lame

Always wait for reviews my man. At the very least steam reviews if playing on PC.

Last edited:

BlackTron

In the same ballpark, two games of the generation going head to head. What an intense battle.

Always wait for reviews my man. At the very least steam reviews if playing on PC.

I was pretty confident the game would be alright at worst and only tossed $30 to get it with the bonus. If I knew the DRM thing tho I'd have held back. Hesitant to install it now. Here's a question, does mouse/kb work on the PS version??

Top Bottom