• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Helldivers II broke 250k+ CCU on Steam: first PlayStation PC release to do so

clarky

Gold Member
Same here.

Fucking fuck sticks, I'd like to play the game I bought please.

As good as the game is I couldn't recommend it to anyone in its current state.

Last edited:

ZehDon

Gold Member
Can PlayStation not send an emergency team out to help these guys with the server issues lol
I imagine they've sent up the flare, but based on the Dev's comments on social, the fundamental server systems simply weren't designed to scale up to this level. There's only so much external support can offer, and after a point, throwing more bodies at the problem actually slows things down. If they know their servers can't scale higher, getting a queue system in place - complete with reconnect priority - would be my number one goal this week. It'll a learning moment for PlayStation, no doubt.

Killjoy-NL

Just split the playerbase into different server regions for now. Then merge them once the numbers of players drops. Just do something, I want to play :(
Doesn't the game already do this?

Could've sworn I had to pick a server region when I started the game.🤔

Last edited:
It's not Node.. It's most likely serverless Aurora or something similar, which can scale massively if you designed for it. The issue is you need to partition your data effectively to reach scale, and to rebalance everything is very difficult, especially live! If they also use traditional databases to replicate state, it's not easy to scale these just by adding servers (adding database servers usually slows things down as writes are confirmed by a majority of nodes when using a consensus algo for example). So I imagine there is a healthy amount of redesign to their persistence layer to make better use of the underlying database as well as other ancillary systems. The pressure on them is massive, which can't help. It is a solvable problem, but some adjustments might need to be made to how global state + stats are handled.

TrebleShot

It's not Node.. It's most likely serverless Aurora or something similar, which can scale massively if you designed for it. The issue is you need to partition your data effectively to reach scale, and to rebalance everything is very difficult, especially live! If they also use traditional databases to replicate state, it's not easy to scale these just by adding servers (adding database servers usually slows things down as writes are confirmed by a majority of nodes when using a consensus algo for example). So I imagine there is a healthy amount of redesign to their persistence layer to make better use of the underlying database as well as other ancillary systems. The pressure on them is massive, which can't help. It is a solvable problem, but some adjustments might need to be made to how global state + stats are handled.
Ellie Kemper Nerd GIF by The Office

Gamezone

Gold Member
What made Sony deviate from their "release it on PlayStation first, PC years later" on this game? Until now they have released their games on Steam and EGS as well, but I can't see Helldivers on EGS?

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
What made Sony deviate from their "release it on PlayStation first, PC years later" on this game? Until now they have released their games on Steam and EGS as well, but I can't see Helldivers on EGS?
They would be morons to release a game that depends on player base to survive only on one platform, especially considering how strong multiplayer games tend to be on PC.

Their stance on GAAS is also different.

ToadMan

To be honest, it almost like they haven't released it on PC.

The game still works on PS5 even now - albeit with server capacity issues and matchmaking hicups. But right now I'm in a game with 4 randoms.

PC meanwhile is borked.

Three

Even the first Helldivers 1 had a PC release less than a year later. That was back in 2015, 9 years ago. No way was this coming to PC years later to begin with. They didn't deviate much with Helldivers 2 but GaaS is a bigger thing now.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Surely it’s sold over 2 million now, right?
I bet it's over 3 million now. It sold 1 million in 1-2 days as the dev said on Feb 11th that it was at 1M. It also seems like the initial hype contributed to the game actually becoming more popular so I think it might be a case of the game selling more in its second week than in its first.

The peak during the first week was around 300K. Now it's 440K.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Surely it’s sold over 2 million now, right?
higher. way higher.

GOW had a peak of 65k and it ended up selling 950k copies in the first 3 months.

Cyberpunk sold around 10 million on PC alone at launch. Its peak concurrent users were over 1.2 million.

450k peak we are looking at 3-4 million on PC alone. This game is on tiktok dude. tiktok. its gone viral. dont be surprised if it just keeps selling.

EDIT: Palworld is a more recent release, it had a peak of 2.1 million users and sold 12 million on steam alone. So 450k probably means closer to 3 million than 4 million.

Last edited:
higher. way higher.

GOW had a peak of 65k and it ended up selling 950k copies in the first 3 months.

Cyberpunk sold around 10 million on PC alone at launch. Its peak concurrent users were over 1.2 million.

450k oeak we are looking at 3-4 million on PC alone. This game is on tiktok dude. tiktok. its gone viral. dont be surprised if it just keeps selling.

If this sells 5M + that’s a cool 180M

This is the kind of GaaS title (like KZ2 before it) gamers have really wanted

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
If this sells 5M + that’s a cool 180M

This is the kind of GaaS title (like KZ2 before it) gamers have really wanted
I am playing No Return right now and its combat is sublime. Factions wouldnt have gone viral but wouldve been a massive hit with the hardcore.

It sucks how everything has become an extraction shooter now. We need a return to coop games like this. I had a blast playing the 3 uncharted 2 coop levels with my friends as well as the resistance coop mode. I always lamented sony moving away from those modes and now that they finally went back to it, they made them too big and too expensive, and ended up canceling them anyway. this probably went viral because its only $39.99.

Then again, its impossible to say what gamers like because Anthem, Metal Gear Survive, and even Avengers and Suicide Squad are very similar style games with probably better combat systems, but were shunned by gamers who wanted those devs to make traditional single player games. Yet the same gamers embraced this game. Makes no sense.

Top Bottom