• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Helldivers II broke 250k+ CCU on Steam: first PlayStation PC release to do so

jm89

Arrowhead employees fixing their spaghetti netcode

Working Battlestar Galactica GIF
They are probably legitimately like that.

Fixing issues like that when your live is nightmare fuel.

Last edited:

DrFigs

Damn, Jim Ryan da GOAT.

Oh about this...y'all have probably seen that post on Twitter from the Jake guy that has like 32K likes and went kinda viral right? You know, the one about PlayStation gamers supposedly asking for Sony to put Helldivers 2 on Xbox? Welllll, about that Jake guy....

neUQnpi.jpg

That was his response after I asked them this:

Why would he respond that way unless he was basically admitting he doesn't have a PS5 or a PC (or a capable enough PC) to play Helldivers 2 on? Which means that the super-weird part about the Helldivers 2 port-begging, that PlayStation gamers are supposedly asking for the game to go to Xbox as well, is basically bullshit. Those "PlayStation gamers" are probably just Xbox gamers pretending to be PlayStation gamers, for the most part.

Because it doesn't make any sense why someone who has a PS5 and/or PC, and whose friends very likely have one or both, would want Helldivers 2 to go to Xbox so badly they're publicly asking for it to happen to "end the console war". No, consoles having exclusives isn't what fuels console warring, it's CEOs who complain about a game funded by another platform holder not being on their console, as if their console is owed a game simply because it exists.

The right mindset would be that CEO wondering "Damn, what can I do to inspire and drive a capable team under my management to make something as good or even greater than this here game?", but well, we know that isn't the case.

But yeah, anyway I think this is probably the start of what's gonna be a real nasty push (probably from MS execs and corporate BTS) for some "anti-exclusivity" BS narrative, coming from the Xbox side. And it'll get worst if/when more Microsoft 1P games go multiplat onto other consoles. It's seemingly not in Microsoft's nature to simply do what may be best for their brand and let others do what's best for theirs; they have a very petty person running their gaming division who will try using public sentiment to attack their competitors (whom they'll need more and more in order to hit growth targets in gaming).

Basically try bullying them through orchestrated public outcry & peer pressure to release more and more games on his platform, because apparently $80 billion wasn't enough to get the games he wanted (because regulators cockblocked them on what they really wanted to do with that $80 billion).

Yep. It's 100% engineered, orchestrated manipulation going on from bad faith actors, and the vast majority of the "PlayStation gamers" asking for it on Xbox are just Xbox gamers who either want to undermine the game somehow because it's a PlayStation console exclusive, or for whatever idiotic reason ONLY have an Xbox this gen (and maybe a Switch), no PS5 or even a half-decent PC that could run the game.

One of the ones I just saw a post from on Twitter, claimed they were a PlayStation guy, but if you go to their Twitter page you won't find ANYTHING about PlayStation there for a very long time aside Helldivers 2-related tweets (and that's more on the game itself). Then they responded basically admitting they don't even have a PS5 and probably don't have a decent PC to play the game either.

This is the kind of BS I vehemently dislike Microsoft for. This staged, overtly toxic type of manipulation of controlling narratives in gaming discourse, simply to push optics that favor their own agendas in the market against competitors. I knew something was up as soon as Phil Spencer cried about Helldivers 2 not being on Xbox, right after his "Business Update". And now, we have this.
It just exposes Xbox fans' bizarre parasocial relationship to xbox executives. It was a weird thing for Phil Spencer to say, and the result is that xbox fans read it as a directive.

Schmendrick

as much as I´m annoyed by simply not being able to play, as a software architect myself I can imagine what Arrowhead is going through right now and I´d not want to switch with them. Having a project suddenly and unexpectedly blow up to x times the expected scope while already being live for the customers is an absolute nightmare.....

Bond007

Got the game Wednesday- haven't played it. lol
Guess one day I will be able to login and try it out...

Last edited:

Interfectum

I think you posted in the wrong thread, this one is about Helldivers 2.
Nah I posted in the right one. This is the third most recent example of a game skyrocketing on Steam with media hype fueled by using Steam concurrent users and record breaking headlines.

90% of the Helldivers 2 headlines include Steam numbers. Without Steam we wouldn't have these numbers and could only go by the vague "best sellers" list on PSN.

Quality AA + Steam is rocking the gaming industry right now and this is yet another example of it.

Nah I posted in the right one. This is the third most recent example of a game skyrocketing on Steam with media hype fueled by using Steam concurrent users and record breaking headlines.

90% of the Helldivers 2 headlines include Steam numbers. Without Steam we wouldn't have these numbers and could only go by the vague "best sellers" list on PSN.

Quality AA + Steam is rocking the gaming industry right now and this is yet another example of it.
I'm annoyed by people calling HD2 AA just because it is 40$. It is a live service game. We wouldn't call Apex Legends AA because it is F2P. HD2 has some of best animations, audio, and special effects in the industry. The game probably cost 100+million to make and it was in development for 7+ years

Sony saw an opportunity to make some money upfront on HD2 but didn't want to lessen the player base by making the game a full 70$. It is really that simple

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
people are also assuming that Bungie didn't consult on this game at all. which is possible, but there's no reason to believe it one way or the other.

I believe they did consult.

The grind is so elongated in this game to unlock sh**. You have to play for an eternity access all the levels of your Battle Passes.

It's definitely shady game design practice that will likely help mitigate the player dropoff that this game would naturally have.

Perhaps Arrowhead was clever enough to do this, but it feels like one that might be suggested by a company like Bungie instead.

Solidus_T

as much as I´m annoyed by simply not being able to play, as a software architect myself I can imagine what Arrowhead is going through right now and I´d not want to switch with them. Having a project suddenly and unexpectedly blow up to x times the expected scope while already being live for the customers is an absolute nightmare.....
Agreed. The same thing happened with Palworld at first as well

begotten

Post bookmarked for when Marathon breaks Helldiver’s record.

Cute bookmark nerd. I don't give a shit about records or comparisons.

My Bungie post was an unrelated side tangent to begin with.

Bungie is fucked internally and Marathon needs unrealistic success to fix what's going on there. Sony bought a sinking ship. Fact.

Quixz

Who is asking Halo / Gears to become extraction shooters 🤔

If anything, this reinforces philosophy of Halo / Gears, fun game over everything else.
This formula can work for ODST/GEARS, remember Firefight and Horde but you have more space to run around

clarky

Gold Member
Thought we might get lower numbers today not being the weekend, but looks like they will blow through the concurrent login attempts again.

If this was working as intended they would probably double where they are at right now. Hopefully the fixes coming this week alleviate the issue.

It will look like that when Marathon bombs and Bungie goes bye bye.

It seems you're rooting for that, but the reality is that Bungie actually has multiple projects in the works with Sony.

While Marathon needs to be a success it isn't the only thing the company is working on.

That makes sense, although I wonder how accurate that is.

Not everyone with PS5 pays for PS+ it's probably about half (with the other half of PS+ subscribers being on PS4 and helldivers 2 isn't on PS4).

So if the PS5 has a little over 50 million units sold and only have have PS+ that leaves you with 25 million.

Now just because you have PS+ doesn't mean you play online games. I have PS+ mostly for the free games and the cloud saves. I don't play online games at all.

Let's say 80% of PS+ subscribers play online games.

That takes you from 25 million to 20 million.

Assuming all 50 million PS5 users are active (do we have a definition on that is it based on MAU?) 1 in 20 would be 2.5 million out of 20 possible million users, that's 12.5% of actual potential users in just a couple of weeks. There will always be people on PS+ that just wait for helldivers to release for free before they play it.

Another key thing to remember is that Steam doesn't have fornite and fornite is the most popular game on PS5 and it is f2p vs 40 dollars.

Would be interested to see what these numbers look like after a month on PS5.

Gaelyon

Gold Member
It should be even higher for the server cap this week-end. I finally bought the game on sunday and tried for 2+ hours to log in to no avail, couldn't even reach the tutorial. Will try again today ^^

Gudji

It's growing at a good rate maybe it can get close to the record.

I'm yet to buy the game and I'd imagine many people are still on the fence due to the known issues.

Last edited:
It should be even higher for the server cap this week-end. I finally bought the game on sunday and tried for 2+ hours to log in to no avail, couldn't even reach the tutorial. Will try again today ^^

They'll have a week of lower activity to try to get the game in shape for the following weekend. Probably pretty critical that the publisher get more involved in getting this resolved with any additional programming help that can be obtained.

Generally, the problem though is that people don't understand each others systems and tools. One reason why Sony needs to start utilizing global tools across the board even for 2nd parties.

Top Bottom