• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Helldivers II broke 250k+ CCU on Steam: first PlayStation PC release to do so

It was more about the sustainability of content support that Bungie were asking from ND. In the end, ND didn't want to dedicate entire studio to TLOU Online support where Arrowhead is Helldivers 2 studio through and through. Totally unrelated games by the very definition of it.

True, true. And for ND's development culture, cancelling Factions 2 was the best call. Would still be nice if they could do a more standard MP spinoff mode and add it as a future update for TLOU 2 Remastered.

Arrowhead's development culture seems fully dedicated to games like Helldivers 2 so they'd have no issue wanting to keep content coming for the game for as many years as deemed necessary.

Really well said, you hit the nail on the head!

Like with a lot of the cross play discussion, this is clearly MS orchestrated astroturfing trying to change optics of something to align it with their business interest. Whether some PS games would like this game being multiplatform or evangelists are down hg it because they smell the marching orders is beside the point, this is not organic.

I used to either pay it no mind or gave Microsoft the benefit of the doubt, but after the ABK stuff, I know 100% what their MO is and how much I don't like it. People like Phil Spencer are just showing their true colors but it doesn't differ much from how the others even higher up than him at the company think. Saw enough of it on Twitter and in the press when they were trying to buy ABK.

Unfortunate a console brand with good potential, Xbox, is held hostage by a company like Microsoft. But it is what it is.

How does he know that? We only have Max players in game and steam ccu

Still trying to figure that out, myself. Although if anything, it shows that Sony should definitely adopt some similar features as Steam to PlayStation, such as showing CCU counts and various player metrics (and integrated forum communities).

I don't see any downside in them doing those type of things, it'd just make the console experience even better.

Anyway, we should probably wait for official numbers, or at least more than one tracking source so we can corroborate the data and see where the truth likely is.

No point in giving away your golden goose like this.

Xbox is porting their games because they don't have the player base. PlayStation does not have that problem. They have a 3x higher active userbase that has no problem spending money and buying games.

Half of the (already tiny) Xbox userbase would be saying "Helldivers 2 should have launched on Game Pass" or "I'll wait for it to join Game Pass" instead of buying the game anyway.

Yeah it's very "convenient" all the Xbox and "PlayStation" (likely Xbox people masquerading as PlayStation gamers) people are asking for HD2 but act like Game Pass doesn't exist. When you know they're just salivating for a release confirmation, and THEN they'd start begging for the game into Game Pass.

The playbook is so predictable.

Last edited:
Nah I posted in the right one. This is the third most recent example of a game skyrocketing on Steam with media hype fueled by using Steam concurrent users and record breaking headlines.

90% of the Helldivers 2 headlines include Steam numbers. Without Steam we wouldn't have these numbers and could only go by the vague "best sellers" list on PSN.

Quality AA + Steam is rocking the gaming industry right now and this is yet another example of it.

Steam being very transparent with player data & metrics, along with the other benefits of PC as a platform, have really helped with Helldivers 2 going viral thanks to WOM. That doesn't work very much on PlayStation (even with games like Fall Guys, where at least it being in PS+ helped balance out the growth that game saw on PC) because so much of that data is obfuscated.

Really feel Sony should take some of those Steam features and add them to PlayStation. That way with games like this, you'd see a similar growth in WOM and the media wouldn't be able to sideline PlayStation as much when covering these types of games.

Cute bookmark nerd. I don't give a shit about records or comparisons.

My Bungie post was an unrelated side tangent to begin with.

Bungie is fucked internally and Marathon needs unrealistic success to fix what's going on there. Sony bought a sinking ship. Fact.

Imagine calling people nerds when you're on a gaming forum. You're one of us!! 🤣

RusV6oR.jpg

Already debunked, right?

I never thought a PS live service would unseat COD, even momentarily.

Especially this soon. Last COD left a sour taste in many people's mouths and I think games like Helldivers 2 are definitely delivering for them.

It should make Microsoft want to make COD more competitive and restore it to former glory. But nah, let's get Phil out here crying and port-begging instead. Totally a great move /s.

Last edited:

Pelta88

Especially this soon. Last COD left a sour taste in many people's mouths and I think games like Helldivers 2 are definitely delivering for them.

It should make Microsoft want to make COD more competitive and restore it to former glory. But nah, let's get Phil out here crying and port-begging instead. Totally a great move /s.

It was when Phil Spencer said “I don’t know who HD2 exclusivity helps” that I realised the true impact this game was having.

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
At this point I actually think halting sales for a while might be a good idea.

Let them catch up for a few days.

dammit i have today off and I cant play. i thought midday on a monday......., surely id get in
If you're on PlayStation, join from the activity cards in the PlayStation menus. Use the quick play activity, not the join friends. You might have to wait five to ten minutes, but it usually puts you in a game eventually. Once you're in, you can use the in-game menus to join friends.

No point in even trying to play right now. Even if you get in you wont find a game with people. You can play solo, but what weirdos are doing that.

Last edited:
Are this many people actually playing or are they just leaving the game on so they save a spot?

Does it actually save your spot though? I can't remember any MP game in the modern age that leaves you connected indefinitely as long as you leave the game running. They log you off the servers.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
What is this craziness that Playstation players are begging for Xbox players to join in HD2? This almost seems orchestrated.
What makes more sense:

Wanting more players if you cant find anyone to connect to, low player count.

or

Wanting more players....if so many are playing you can't connect to play with anyone.

It is absolutely orchestrated.

The Stig

If you're on PlayStation, join from the activity cards in the PlayStation menus. Use the quick play activity, not the join friends. You might have to wait five to ten minutes, but it usually puts you in a game eventually. Once you're in, you can use the in-game menus to join friends.
thanks. I'm on steam, sadly

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Literally got 5 friends wanting to play the game, but we're all waiting until the server issues are fixed.

Last edited:
Top Bottom