• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Helldivers II broke 250k+ CCU on Steam: first PlayStation PC release to do so

d1Huh7.gif

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Just reached 303k

#32 overall on the all-time peak list.

Let's see if it can make it to over 330k.
Destiny 2 - 316k
Starfield - 330k
Monster Hunter: World 334k
By the way, going by the average ratio between CCU and copies sold, this data means Helldivers 2 has sold around 3 million copies on Steam.

Gudji

This seems kinda pointless? I mean, those who are buying/bought a PS, are surely aware by this point that you need PS+ to play online, unless it's a F2P title.
Yeah I don't get it unless they have a trial or something.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
With very little marketing too. This is crazy.
And at least 3.5 million on PS5, too, I reckon, considering it had a ~20% higher CCU than Steam's a few days ago.

This game is selling bonkers, but completely deserved. Didn't have this much fun playing an MP game since 2009-2010 when COD MW 2 released.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Take that Destiny 2!

Maybe Sony should buy Arrowhead to advise Bungie on how to make a good game!😁😁

Destiny's servers never have a capacity problem though. Maybe Arrowhead should be asking Bungie for advice.

And Bungie has done some good things lately. The Timeline they added is great to find out what you should be doing with all the content in the game now.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Take that Destiny 2!

Maybe Sony should buy Arrowhead to advise Bungie on how to make a good game!😁😁
Considering Bungie evaluated and reviewed all in-development live-service games for PlayStation Studios, there is a very strong chance that Bungie also consulted on Helldivers 2.

We may not know or realize this, but it is very possible that it is Bungie's suggestions that partly helped Helldivers 2 get this success.

jm89

Where are the Jim Ryan haters ?

Thought they said this new strategy won’t work, but we’re already out here breaking records

Repent now
this is just the beginning

Soon we’ll have Sony’s first party juggernauts and these triple A GAAS

The combination will be crazy
How's the retirement home jim?

clarky

Gold Member
Starfield sold roughly 4 million copies on Steam with a CCU of 335K.

3 million for Helldivers 2 is a pretty safe bet with a CCU of 317K (so far). It'll likely break Starfield's record in a few hours anyway.
That assuming a lot. I don't think CCU equates to copies sold. Its different for every game.

Palworld for example sold around 12 million with a CCU of 2 million around that time.

Didn't the Devs say they'd sold a million just a few days ago? I know the games blown up but i dont think they will have shifted another 5 million copies on top of that since.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
That assuming a lot. I don't think CCU equates to copies sold. Its different for every game.

Palworld for example sold around 12 million with a CCU of 2 million around that time.

Didn't the Devs say they'd sold a million just a few days ago? I know the games blown up but i dont think will have shifted another 5 million copies on top of that since.
Devs said 1 million just for Steam. Their CCU count was 80,000 around that time. Now it is 320,000. A factor of 4x, which amounts to 4 million copies. 3 million is a very safe estimate.

We have Starfield's data, too, to compare it with.

Also, Steam's CCU is an industry-wide method used to estimate game sales.

clarky

Gold Member
Devs said 1 million just for Steam. Their CCU count was 80,000 around that time. Now it is 320,000. A factor of 4x, which amounts to 4 million copies. 3 million is a very safe estimate.

We have Starfield's data, too, to compare it with.

Also, Steam's CCU is an industry-wide method used to estimate game sales.
On 11 February 2024, Arrowhead Games CEO Johan Pilestedt announced that the game had sold approximately 1 million units. It became the biggest launch for any PlayStation published game on PC.

Not sure where you are getting that's just PC got a source?

Last edited:

Didn't the Devs say they'd sold a million just a few days ago? I know the games blown up but i dont think they will have shifted another 5 million copies on top of that since.

it's been like a week since they said it was a million. CCU has more than doubled since then

Should easily have hit 3 million by now

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
On 11 February 2024, Arrowhead Games CEO Johan Pilestedt announced that the game had sold approximately 1 million units. It became the biggest launch for any PlayStation published game on PC.

Not sure where you are getting that's just PC got a source?
The Twitter thread he was talking in was just about Steam. The article you quoted seems to ignore that.

Also, this number is perfectly in line with other game sales. Why would Helldivers 2 be an exception?

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism

It was across both.

This is a completely different post in which he is talking about CCU. This isn't the sales one.

We also later learned that PS5 CCU were roughly 20% higher than Steam's.

Anyway, I have one question now: how many copies do you think Starfield sold on Steam?

Top Bottom