• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Helldivers II broke 250k+ CCU on Steam: first PlayStation PC release to do so

Insane Metal

Gold Member
It's official now! They beat Starfield's Steam CCU!

image.png
DAYUM.

Congrats to Sony and the devs. I'll join as soon as I can. We need to fight for democracy.

clarky

Gold Member
This is a completely different post in which he is talking about CCU. This isn't the sales one.

We also later learned that PS5 CCU were roughly 20% higher than Steam's.

Anyway, I have one question now: how many copies do you think Starfield sold on Steam?
LOL. Always back to Starfield. Some of you guys need help.

Pulling sales figures out of your ass derived from steam CCU's seems a little premature. I'm sure the game is doing great, and deservedly so its a great game. But lets not get ahead of ourselves.

Pulling sales figures out of your ass derived from steam CCU's seems a little premature. I'm sure the game is doing great, and deservedly so its a great game. But lets not get ahead of ourselves.

I get it can be annoying but honestly you have to admit that’s incredible. I would have said you were smoking crack if you thought it would beat steam ccu.

Killjoy-NL

According to Circana, Starfield is estimated to have sold 2.5M copies.

I'd take the number mentioned on the previous page if I were you.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism

Stop with the "warring" mentality.

I'm using Starfield as a benchmark because (1) we learned about its estimated sales recently and (2) Helldivers 2's CCU is closest to Starfield right now. We can use one game's data to calculate the other one.

Back to my question: How many copies do you think Starfield sold on Steam?

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Btw, 2 Helldivers II SKUs in top seller list by revenue on Steam. Hopefully Monday morning PT we'll have a PR from Sony with the sales numbers.

hd2_steam.PNG
At this point, I'd rather wait if I were Sony.

Very soon this will cross 10 million in sales. That'd be a much bigger milestone to brag about, revitalizing sales after a couple of weeks. They could also time that announcement with some new content. And server problems would also be done by that time.

clarky

Gold Member
Stop with the "warring" mentality.

I'm using Starfield as a benchmark because (1) we learned about its estimated sales recently and (2) Helldivers 2's CCU is closest to Starfield right now. We can use one game's data to calculate the other one.

Back to my question: How many copies do you think Starfield sold on Steam?
According to the poster above around 2.5m?

Last edited:

YuLY

As someone who was there in the dark ages of 2005-2009 when every pc game was filled with Starforce DRM or games did not even get ports, even those that came didnt get DLC support and shit (Dead Space 2 didnt get the story dlc on pc).. Its insane how big PC is now and how healthy.

GabeN really saved PC gaming. I'm so proud. ♥️

Very soon this will cross 10 million in sales. That'd be a much bigger milestone to brag about, revitalizing sales after a couple of weeks. They could also time that announcement with some new content. And server problems would also be done by that time.

Yea I’m wondering what sales will be like once servers are fixed. That’s all im waiting for honestly. Once it’s fixed I’m picking this up.

Killjoy-NL

Well, according to Circana:

"Estimating from the numbers of other games on Circana’s list, particularly Mortal Kombat 1 which landed at nine, we can estimate that Starfield has sold around 2.5 million copies. However, there are no official numbers of actual sales reported, so this is just an estimate."

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I was asking about your estimate. And Circana is only about US data. It wouldn't account for non-US sales.

Anyway, according to Steam, Starfield generated $235 million in revenue.

steam-top-10-releases-of-2023-by-full-game-revenue-v0-wzzel1pxd0cc1.jpeg

If we divide $235 million by $70, that's 3.35 million copies on Steam.

But not every region has the game for $70. I could buy it for $40, for example. So let's take the average price of $60 per copy, which puts the total number of copies sold around 3.91 million copies. Or 4 million as I said.

Now Helldivers 2 has broken Starfield's CCU count. If Starfield sold 4 million copies on Steam, it is safe to assume that Helldivers 2 also sold 4 million copies.

I was being conservative when I said 3 million.

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber

So only 10% of the people who bought the game are playing it? I don't buy your math. It's an online only MP game and the in-game player count was never higher than what Steam is saying, unless they're instancing the servers and only allowing 300,000 people in an instance or something.

To think Sony had two previous twins stick shooters change to an immersive 3rd person experience this gen and both are doing gang busters and uber successful. (This and Returnal for those wondering)

Similar to Housemarque this studio will be under the Sony umbrella very soon IMO.

Also I'm not implying they are Similar just that they went from twin stick to 3rd person. Games are very unique 👌

So only 10% of the people who bought the game are playing it? I don't buy your math. It's an online only MP game and the in-game player count was never higher than what Steam is saying, unless they're instancing the servers and only allowing 300,000 people in an instance or something.
At any given moment, yes that seems plausible. You also are not factoring in PS5 sales which they the devs said it was about 50% on each platform

Killjoy-NL

I was asking about your estimate. And Circana is only about US data. It wouldn't account for non-US sales.

But not every region has the game for $70. I could buy it for $40, for example. So let's take the average price of $60 per copy, which puts the total number of copies sold around 3.91 million copies. Or 4 million as I said.

Now Helldivers 2 has broken Starfield's CCU count. If Starfield sold 4 million copies on Steam, it is safe to assume that Helldivers 2 also sold 4 million copies.

If it generated $235M, it's quite a flop.

Starfield production budget was 400M.

Makes sense then that we see HD2 surpassing Starfield.
HD2 is delivering the goods, despite network issues.

clarky

Gold Member

Like i said, i'm not sure how we can equate CCU to copies sold, especially when comparing completely different games, released on mostly different platforms.

Even that site you linked to states they are only 70% accurate going off CCU, thats with months of data.

"Since number of concurrent players is reported as an exact number via steam API, accuracy of this method depends completely on the average playtime estimate. We can estimate average playtime from all public indicators like public profiles and game reviews. The more data points we can gather, the more accurate the estimate will be.

This is better than the review based approach, but is still not accurate enough. Also, for some games we do not have accurate historical concurrent player data, so this method cannot be applied to all games."

But lets agree to disagree and move on before i get accused of "Warring" for some reason.

Edit: The better comparison would be with Palworld CCU/Sales: A Co-op game that's around the same price point.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Playing it "at the same time."

Yes, that's the average/normal CCU percentage for almost every game. Around 10%.

People play at different times, different time zones, etc. Not every player is online at the same time.

nowhat

To think Sony had two previous twins stick shooters change to an immersive 3rd person experience this gen and both are doing gang busters and uber successful. (This and Returnal for those wondering)

Similar to Housemarque this studio will be under the Sony umbrella very soon IMO.
Uhm, I don't think Returnal was nearly as successful (it certainly wasn't on Steam).

But I'm definitely for Nordic co-operation, having Arrowhead and Housemarque do something beautiful together sounds like a match made in heaven. I'm always rooting for our western brethren, the Swedes that is. Unless it's about hockey, in which case it's war.

Just wait until this game hits PS+

Michael Jackson Popcorn GIF by Naughty Dog

The influx of gamers will be massive. The game will have a 2nd life.

Uhm, I don't think Returnal was nearly as successful (it certainly wasn't on Steam).

But I'm definitely for Nordic co-operation, having Arrowhead and Housemarque do something beautiful together sounds like a match made in heaven. I'm always rooting for our western brethren, the Swedes that is. Unless it's about hockey, in which case it's war.

Returnal costs 60 dollars on Steam. The story on this game potentially hasn't been written yet. A lot of these games become much more popular at lower prices. The lowest price it has been is 40 dollars.

Uh no. Returnal didn't do well, and certainly not gangbusters, on either platform.

I thought that it was common knowledge that Returnal was a resounding success, I'm not referring to strictly sales here.

jm89

Just watch Sony wait for arrowheads value to go up significantly, and then buy them like the dumbasses they are.

They probably aren't too expensive right now to be a risky purchase either.

Some Sony exec should be headed to arrowheads office right now with a big pile of cash.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Just watch Sony wait for arrowheads value to go up significantly, and then buy them like the dumbasses they are.

Helldivers 2 is Sony's game. Without Helldivers 2, Arrowhead wouldn't have much value. Look at Insomniac -- even though they had their own IPs and a much higher pedigree than Arrowhead. But see how cheap they were in terms of acquisition cost.

Sony would have had the buying clause in the Helldivers 2 contract anyway. They wouldn't lose any additional money.

Varteras

Gold Member
Helldivers 2 is Sony's game. Without Helldivers 2, Arrowhead wouldn't have much value. Look at Insomniac -- even though they had their own IPs and a much higher pedigree than Arrowhead. But see how cheap they were in terms of acquisition cost.

Sony would have had the buying clause in the Helldivers 2 contract anyway. They wouldn't lose any additional money.

Not to mention, even if none of that was true, it's not like anyone predicted this success. It's kinda like calling someone dumb for not betting on a horse everyone thought was lame.

So now you two Schmendrick Schmendrick ManaByte ManaByte care about sales again? Give me a break. Returnal was a success and many are looking forward to Housemarques next game as a result.

Didn't want to derail the thread just wanted to point out this is the second twin stick to go third person this gen for Sony.

Last edited:

Schmendrick

So now you two care about sales again. Give me a break. Returnal was a success and many are looking forward to Housemarques next game as a result.
Lol? Sales have always been the ONLY real measure of success with commercial products, no matter what kind of PR fluff the marketing makes up.....
Give yourself a break, it seems you need it.

Last edited:

jm89

Yeah I guess the way im looking at it is the Devs look alot more valuable right now. Sony have struggled to find a team that can do GAAS right, and there dudes did it on there first go.

Owning the IP is great and all, but it's the Devs who really made this happen.

Some Sony exec should be headed to arrowheads office right now with a big pile of cash.

It's difficult to time the purchase of a studio.

Imagine Sony bought Deviation games and was forced to go through with the game to justify the purchase. Money wasted.

They purchased Firewalk and Haven before they released a single game. These type of purchases are equivalent to organically growing studios internally. Maybe the games have come along a bit to impress you or maybe you're buying into studio leadership.

Arrowhead is still small and yeah, Sony should probably buy them, but they also won't make another game for many years. You won't necessarily get return on your investment regardless of what happens here. In order to ramp up though, it's in both of their best interests to solidify their relationship.

Sony bought Insomniac 2 years after the release of Spider-Man
Sony bought Bluepoint (officially announced) less than a year after Demon's Souls released
Sony bought Housemarque 3 months after the release of Returnal
Sony bought Haven and Firewalk before the release of their games

So you can see they've been speeding up the process. So hard to fathom why you're calling them dumbasses.

You can argue that they've had a few misses, but it was also before the era of acquisitions for growth. There aren't many studios you can really point to that they missed out on buying. FromSoftware is probably the only one that you could truly say was a miss, but that was pre-acquisition spree. Sanzaru games is a hindsight miss. They could have bought Quantic and didn't want to. Same is probably true of Supermassive Games.

Top Bottom