• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hellena Taylor (Voice of Bayonetta) Describes How She was Offered only $4,000 USD to Voice Her Again in Bayonetta 3.

YCoCg

Stop wriggling, stop trying to shift the conversation away from your clear bullshitting, and maybe, just maybe, consider that you're in the wrong here.
Or maybe consider that I know voice actors in the industry over the years who have worked for various companies and know their stories instead of assuming like an asshole in a thread because one voice actor is complaining.

And yes, you're simping.
Again, or I know more people in this industry and don't like seeing a bunch of idiots shit on their job because one person is complaining, how many voice actors do you know? How many people in commercial work do you know? I'm gonna guess that a big fat zero so go ahead and call me a simp again since that's all you've got and you're using it in the wrong context.

gradient

Resident Cheap Arse
Or maybe consider that I know voice actors in the industry over the years who have worked for various companies and know their stories instead of assuming like an asshole in a thread because one voice actor is complaining.

Again, or I know more people in this industry and don't like seeing a bunch of idiots shit on their job because one person is complaining, how many voice actors do you know? How many people in commercial work do you know? I'm gonna guess that a big fat zero so go ahead and call me a simp again since that's all you've got and you're using it in the wrong context.

If you know people in the industry why did you make up those numbers and present them as fact?

You don't know shit. That's why you've been caught out lying. You're in here jumping on a drama bandwagon and fabricating "facts" that don't bear out in relation to the subject of discussion.

Go listen to Helena stating how many hours she worked on Bayo 1 in that clip a few times. If it helps you can pretend that hearing her talk in that interview makes you friends by proxy.

Reactions: Fuz

YCoCg

If you know people in the industry why did you make up those numbers and present them as fact?
I didn't make them up, there are cases where vo and motion capture go into months of recording with certain studios. Look at cases like Nolan North with Uncharted, the main cast of GTA or RDR, etc those are the high end examples where the work goes on and on. Short term cases where it's under a week often tend to be things like anime dubbing and such.

You don't know shit. That's why you've been caught out lying. You're in here jumping on a drama bandwagon and fabricating "facts" that don't bear out in relation to the subject of discussion.
I've not been making any drama, just giving my point against all the people saying voice actors have it easy and only do less than a week's work for most projects. The fact that you took offence to that and started an argument with me and started screaming simp at me shows your state of mind here.

Go listen to Helena stating how many hours she worked on Bayo 1 in that clip a few times. If it helps you can pretend that hearing her talk in that interview makes you friends by proxy.
If we're going to assume about an entire industry based off one person's complaints then it's only fair I assume about you, so why don't you stop crying and go back to your low ass paying job where the only thing that gives you strength is complaining about people who earn more money than you for their craft.

LegendOfKage

Gold Member
Is Jennifer Hale going to say something about this?

She's under an NDA, so she can't. But she has been liking tweets defending her and suggesting that she very likely had no idea of the situation when she took the job. They probably lied to Hale just like they lied to the rest of us, implying that the original voice actress couldn't do it due to a scheduling conflict.

gradient

Resident Cheap Arse
I didn't make them up, there are cases where vo and motion capture go into months of recording with certain studios. Look at cases like Nolan North with Uncharted, the main cast of GTA or RDR, etc those are the high end examples where the work goes on and on. Short term cases where it's under a week often tend to be things like anime dubbing and such.

I've not been making any drama, just giving my point against all the people saying voice actors have it easy and only do less than a week's work for most projects. The fact that you took offence to that and started an argument with me and started screaming simp at me shows your state of mind here.

If we're going to assume about an entire industry based off one person's complaints then it's only fair I assume about you, so why don't you stop crying and go back to your low ass paying job where the only thing that gives you strength is complaining about people who earn more money than you for their craft.

Ah yeah, there it is.

No crying here. Quite enjoying having pointed out your lies and keeping you on the hook. That petty little swipe about my presumed pay is a perfect example of how irrational your views are on this subject because in order to attack my pay you contradict yourself by referring to that of a VA as better. So, in truth you believe their pay is good, because you're confident enough to cite it against someone else as something to be jealous of, but nonetheless are in here decrying it as poor and making up lies to support that.

There's no rationale or logic in your arguments here. Just lies and contradiction. And why? for no other purpose than to get in on the drama bandwagon with a little simping for the social media celeb.

Simpin' ain't easy, but you're making a meal of it by any measure.

YCoCg

Ah yeah, there it is.

No crying here. Quite enjoying having pointed out your lies and keeping you on the hook. That petty little swipe about my presumed pay is a perfect example of how irrational your views are on this subject because in order to attack my pay you contradict yourself by referring to that of a VA as better. So, in truth you believe their pay is good, because you're confident enough to cite it against someone else as something to be jealous of, but nonetheless are in here decrying it as poor and making up lies to support that.

There's no rationale or logic in your arguments here. Just lies and contradiction. And why? for no other purpose than to get in on the drama bandwagon with a little simping for the social media celeb.

Simpin' ain't easy, but you're making a meal of it by any measure.
Good grief you're sad, did that waffle make you feel good? It's ok, you're a man, just say simp again and all your problems will go away.

Good on Taylor for actually taking a stand. I was already boycotting it anyway but I like the donate to charity idea.

You could of donated to charity any day of the week if you really wanted to. You dont need an entitled VA to tell you theres donations out there to be given to kids.

He is right, she is petty. Saying how she wishes her all the best but isnt allowed to sign Bayonetta merch because its not the "real" Bayonetta. Get off your high horse, last time you worked as a VA for the franchise was 9 years ago lol. At least David Hater voiced snake in like 6-7 titles and even he wasnt as butt hurt as she is.

gradient

Resident Cheap Arse
Good grief you're sad, did that waffle make you feel good? It's ok, you're a man, just say simp again and all your problems will go away.

You're doing absolutely everything to avoid acknowledging for those lies you presented as fact.

So, now we know you think their pay is decent, because you're trying to fall back on it as a borrowed shade to throw at others. And that brings your fictional friends further into doubt and with it your claimed motives for all of your nonesense. So.. c'mon tell us for real... Were you hoping she might read this thread and reach out to thank you for defending her so valiantly? Were you hoping that some VA somewhere might reach out and offer to be that insider friend you so deperately want?

YCoCg

You're doing absolutely everything to avoid acknowledging for those lies you presented as fact.

So, now we know you think their pay is decent, because you're trying to fall back on it as a borrowed shade to throw at others. And that brings your fictional friends further into doubt and with it your claimed motives for all of your nonesense. So.. c'mon tell us for real... Were you hoping she might read this thread and reach out to thank you for defending her so valiantly? Were you hoping that some VA somewhere might reach out and offer to be that insider friend you so deperately want?
They're not lies, you're just throwing an obsessive tantrum over someone giving input based on who they know in the industry, to the point where you're trying to claim they don't exist because that's what you desperately need to believe.

And yes, they must be earning more than you since you've been shouting the hardest in this thread about they they should shut up and be thankful, to the point where you've cheered on with others that all voice actors are shit and that you can't wait for AI's to replace them, which is a pretty extreme reaction don't you think?

Keep making stuff since you apparently need it to be true, go ahead call me a simp again since that's your only power move, not realising how stupid it makes you look.

gradient

Resident Cheap Arse
They're not lies, you're just throwing an obsessive tantrum over someone giving input based on who they know in the industry, to the point where you're trying to claim they don't exist because that's what you desperately need to believe.

And yes, they must be earning more than you since you've been shouting the hardest in this thread about they they should shut up and be thankful, to the point where you've cheered on with others that all voice actors are shit and that you can't wait for AI's to replace them, which is a pretty extreme reaction don't you think?

Keep making stuff since you apparently need it to be true, go ahead call me a simp again since that's your only power move, not realising how stupid it makes you look.

You' don't know anyone in the industry. Do you have any idea how ridiculous that claim is when you've just been caught out presenting pure fiction as fact on a subject that a conversation with any of said friends at any pint in time could have spared you from making. Falling back on the old "I know people in the industry" is the gaming forum equivalent of the Canadian girlfriend. Did you meet these friends at a special VA convention at Niagra Falls by any chance?

It's also fascinating that you're now trying to use the salary of a VA as borrowed clout after having argued how unjust their pay is and how misrepresented they are. Direct contradictions. This is why your motives are suspect and I'm referring to you as a simp, because you have no rationale other than jumping to the lady's defense.

And what I've presented is factual. Actual facts with evidence rather than your baseless claims that fly in the face of actual words from the subject at the heart of the thread. You don't have the credibility at this point to be accusing others of making things up.

$4,000 dollars for a years worth of work is insulting. I would have done the same thing.

It isn’t a year’s worth of work. If it is anything like Bayo 1, it is 16 hours of work. 250 dollars per hour - that is the going rate of non-union voice actors. Yes, there is a discussion to be had on that being too low across the industry, but it isn’t a Platinum issue. It would be an industry wide issue. She is not entitled to any more just because she considers herself the “voice” of a franchise.

Imagine Naughty Dogs offering Troy Baker $4000 to reprise Joel for Last of Us Part 3.
Not defending that, but he's dead after TLoU2, so it would probably be for a flashback or a main character hearing "voices" scene.

So, what I'm saying is, basically a days work. Not saying it's worth less than 4000 or more than, I have no idea.

Last edited:

Kamina

Golden Boy
It's not a year's worth. At most a weeks worth going by her own admission that OG Bayo was 4 sessions of 4 hours each, so about ~16 hours.
If it is a comparable amount of work this time and they offered her less than i get her anger, if they offered her the same and she didnt bite then i dont know what to say.

We haven’t been there, haven’t heard the negotiations, maybe her counter offer was so far off the charts that they stopped negotiating? We weren’t there, don’t know shit, and we sure as hell aren’t her social-justice committee.
Is it shitty that she couldn’t voice Bayo? Fuck, it is. But life goes on.

If it is a comparable amount of work this time and they offered her less than i get her anger, if they offered her the same and she didnt bite then i dont know what to say.

We haven’t been there, haven’t heard the negotiations, maybe her counter offer was so far off the charts that they stopped negotiating? We weren’t there, don’t know shit, and we sure as hell aren’t her social-justice committee.
Is it shitty that she couldn’t voice Bayo? Fuck, it is. But life goes on.
I agree.

If the offer was so bad, turn it down and move on with your life. It's no one else's fault you seem to be a 1 trick pony voice actress incapable of finding other VA work despite all that education she says she has.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
It isn’t a year’s worth of work. If it is anything like Bayo 1, it is 16 hours of work. 250 dollars per hour - that is the going rate of non-union voice actors. Yes, there is a discussion to be had on that being too low across the industry, but it isn’t a Platinum issue. It would be an industry wide issue. She is not entitled to any more just because she considers herself the “voice” of a franchise.

I don't think its an "issue". There certainly nothing exploitative about being paid to sit in a booth and read somebody else's words for $250 an hour! I'd take a gig like that in a fucking heartbeat, because its pretty much the easiest of easy money jobs!

The question really being asked here is whether she deserves to be gratuitously overpaid for her work based solely on the overall value of the enterprise her performance is contributing to.

To which the obvious answer is, fuck no!

Her name is not instrumental in the profit potential of the game. Noone is buying the game for her presence. She isn't a celebrity, she isn't identified with the character she voices to the masses, and in fact is pretty much an unknown.

This is important as it puts her "below-the-line". And in that context, she's pretty handsomely compensated compared to most other "below-the-line" contributors which includes practically EVERYONE else involved in the production of the game.

There are remarkably few marketable game-devs across the entire industry. And the few that are of that stature are people like Kojima, who've literally built their personal brand across decades of success.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
At the end of the day, it's just pretty hard for the average person to care when someone says $250 per hour is not enough for them.
So the math is she's getting $250/hr to do voice overs. That's way more than contract and plumbers make and those guys have a pain in the ass job doing physical work fixing shit. $250/hr is probably what lawyers make.

Well, that's video game employees for ya. Said it a millions times. Always giant whiners on social media.

If she was that good, she'd get paid more. But given her job is a limited number of hours needed (as opposed to having a FT job doing voice overs for a game for 8 hours a day for 4 years), she should be lucky as hell to be paid that much per hour.

Reactions: Fuz

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I don't think its an "issue". There certainly nothing exploitative about being paid to sit in a booth and read somebody else's words for $250 an hour! I'd take a gig like that in a fucking heartbeat, because its pretty much the easiest of easy money jobs!

The question really being asked here is whether she deserves to be gratuitously overpaid for her work based solely on the overall value of the enterprise her performance is contributing to.

To which the obvious answer is, fuck no!

Her name is not instrumental in the profit potential of the game. Noone is buying the game for her presence. She isn't a celebrity, she isn't identified with the character she voices to the masses, and in fact is pretty much an unknown.

This is important as it puts her "below-the-line". And in that context, she's pretty handsomely compensated compared to most other "below-the-line" contributors which includes practically EVERYONE else involved in the production of the game.

There are remarkably few marketable game-devs across the entire industry. And the few that are of that stature are people like Kojima, who've literally built their personal brand across decades of success.
People are paid what they are worth, and enterprise value has nothing to do with it unless there's special circumstances. Like if Cindy Crawford quits being the name and spokeswoman for her bed and bath product lines then yeah someone can say she should be paid a ton to keep it going. If she quits, all the stuff becomes generic stuff. It's all or bust with a celeb tied to it.

The actress doing voice overs who cares.

Under normal conditions, people get paid good or bad if they are worth it. MS and Apple and that Saudi Oil company are among the most valuable and profitable companies in the world. If people should be tied to enterprise value, then everyone (even the janitor) should be paid a million dollars. They could afford it.

Last edited:

Nickolaidas

Maybe, but she's right.
I dunno. This is like Peter Cullen telling people to boycott the newest Transformers game because Hasbro wouldn't offer him more than a couple of thousand bucks. It puts their ego first, and the IP second.

It *is* petty. As much as we enjoy the particular actor, they're not what made the brand.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I think she should have explained what happened to the fans but calling for a boycott is a bit too far. If the fans want to arrange a boycott then they could.
I didn't watch the video, but if she's calling for gamers to boycott the game, good luck getting paid more or getting a job elsewhere. Publicly going against a company in a negative way (suing them, telling people dont buy their products, the company is bad to work for so avoid them etc....) is a recipe for disaster from an industry or career perspective.

Kurimao

dumb-dumber.gif

SJRB

Gold Member
I'm all for fighting the good fight but it's kinda hard to sympathize with someone shrugging at 250 an hour..

Thabass

im going to laugh if this gives more attention to the game instead of less
It generally does.

While I do feel like $4K is less than ideal for most VA's, I also believe that you'd get more given your body of work. Hellena's body of work is considerably less than most other VA's. People like Troy Baker, Laura Post (who was mentioned earlier), or the woman that "replaced" her: Jennifer Hale.

Something about this isn't adding up.

anthony2690

Gold Member
Its been a good week for the likes Hideki Kamiya and Top Hat GamerMan getting found out the twats, they've always been.
What happened to top hat gaming man? I can't stand that guy, he looks like he needs to brush his teeth too 👀
But he just always came across as swarmy/creepy too me.

Top Bottom