• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hellena Taylor (Voice of Bayonetta) Describes How She was Offered only $4,000 USD to Voice Her Again in Bayonetta 3.

Rykan

Who knows.

Assuming a $60 regular retail price, Bayonetta games would need to sell 7.5 million copies. And if a decent amount got bought on sale, it'd probably be 10 million copies (average price of still $45).
I have a theory.

At the end of her video, she mentions "They're probably planning on doing another spin off with Jen. Don't buy that either". I've been thinking about what she meant by that as it doesn't seem like she knows a lot about the games industry and Bayonetta doesn't have any spin off games.

What I think she's talking about is Super Smash Brothers, since Bayonetta is a character in that game. That's the only way I can think of that she somehow manages to get to that number. She might think that Super Smash Brothers is a Bayonetta spin off game because she was asked to work on it.

Ev1L AuRoN

They lowballed her. 'Getting her revenge'

Revenge? What sort of revenge do you mean?

Entitlement? Lmao 😂😂😂

Getting a lowball offer, and then only 4k (union minimum), thats insulting.
If I go to an interview for a job, and we can't agree on a salary, I don't get to go public to cry about the company. Especially if I signed an NDA. She is within her right to turn down the offer. PG is on their right to get someone else. It just business as usual.

Fuz

Banned
well they've found her political tweets. Era in shambles if they should cancel their pre order or cancel their cancellation of their pre order.

kyussman

I'm totally ignorant of the going rate for voice acting in games......but if Nintendo would like me to come in and read through these lines for Bayonetta then I would be more than happy to do so,I'll even put on a high pitched sexy voice.....and I'll do it for £2000......fucking bargain,right!

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I'm totally ignorant of the going rate for voice acting in games......but if Nintendo would like me to come in and read through these lines for Bayonetta then I would be more than happy to do so,I'll even put on a high pitched sexy voice.....and I'll do it for £2000......fucking bargain,right!
Going by the chart someone posted pages back, they offered her $4,000. That is in line for the amount of hours of work as per the union rates. 16 hours across a few days at $250/hr. The chart showed a touch less than $1,000 per four hours, but close enough.

So Nintendo offered her the minimum rate.

Hardensoul

Gold Member
Who knows.

Assuming a $60 regular retail price, Bayonetta games would need to sell 7.5 million copies. And if a decent amount got bought on sale, it'd probably be 10 million copies (average price of still $45).
Even when Bayonetta 1 launch on Steam it was not full price and was promoted with another game bundle. But was not full price either for the bundle.

MMaRsu

Banned
If I go to an interview for a job, and we can't agree on a salary, I don't get to go public to cry about the company. Especially if I signed an NDA. She is within her right to turn down the offer. PG is on their right to get someone else. It just business as usual.
And if she wishes to break nda to bring to light to her stuff that isnt right, thats her choice.

Hardensoul

Gold Member
Going by the chart someone posted pages back, they offered her $4,000. That is in line for the amount of hours of work as per the union rates. 16 hours across a few days at $250/hr. The chart showed a touch less than $1,000 per four hours, but close enough.

So Nintendo offered her the minimum rate.
There is an interview posted in this thread with Helena, sh said the first 2 games she works 2 x 4hr sessions for 2 days on each game. Basically 16 hours total for each game. If it’s $250 per hour that’s equal to $4000. 🤷‍♂️

Ev1L AuRoN

And if she wishes to break nda to bring to light to her stuff that isnt right, thats her choice.
As long as she understands the consequences. As for right or wrong, we can't possibly make that call with the information we have. 4k seem low, but we don't know how much work she would have to do, and she seems to think that people are buying the game because of her performance, which is BS. She isn't a superstar, Bayonetta voice isn't iconic and I bet most people didn't even know who she was before her meltdown.

MMaRsu

Banned
As long as she understands the consequences. As for right or wrong, we can't possibly make that call with the information we have. 4k seem low, but we don't know how much work she would have to do, and she seems to think that people are buying the game because of her performance, which is BS. She isn't a superstar, Bayonetta voice isn't iconic and I bet most people didn't even know who she was before her meltdown.
Bayonetta's voice is iconic tho. I have zero interest in generic Jennifer Hale voice #77 just as much as I dont care about Troy Bakers voice gig #964 or that Uncharted guys voice gig #12573.

Not like Jennifer Hale is dying for roles

Last edited:
Just remembering you that playing games is fun for kids and adults alike, but making games is an adults job.

Now guess what honey? Adults fulfill their contracts, that's includes NDAs, being unprofessional for personal reasons it's not good for this person and we should not expect it in the game industry.

MMaRsu

Banned
Just remembering you that playing games is fun for kids and adults alike, but making games is an adults job.

Now guess what honey? Adults fulfill their contracts, that's includes NDAs, being unprofessional for personal reasons it's not good for this person and we should not expect it in the game industry.
Right because the industry is full of professional adults.

Give me a fucking break bro

Rykan

She's being accused of being transphobic because she danced around one of those "WoUlD BayOnEtTA SaY TrAnS RiGhTs?" bait questions and she commented positively on a photo which contained one of those American Flags with a blue line. I'm not American but I think it's those support the police flags? Some people also went through the people she follows (which is like 1500 of them) and apparently one or two hold "controversial views".

So yeah, here we are.

Right because the industry is full of professional adults.

Give me a fucking break bro
Yes... I don't know if you live under a rock... But last time I've checked the game industry is multi billion dollars gold mine, greater than even the cinema industry.

Are you seriously saying that this is run by unprofessional people that doesn't know how to fulfill their contracts?

Stop.

Last edited:

MMaRsu

Banned
Yes... I don't know if you undera rock... But last time I checked the game industry is multi billion dollars gold mine, greater than even the cinema industry.

Are you seriously saying that this is run by unprofessional people that doesn't know how to fulfill their contract obviously?

Stop.
Its filled with manchildren, harassers, purple haired woke people, and suits on top who care nothing about videogames and only care about profit.

Wake the fuck up bro.

Hardensoul

Gold Member
Bayonetta's voice is iconic tho. I have zero interest in generic Jennifer Hale voice #77 just as much as I dont care about Troy Bakers voice gig #964 or that Uncharted guys voice gig #12573.

Iconic is subjective, I watch 1 trailer recently I didn’t realize it was new VA. I’ll be honest I wasn’t paying attention to VA I was more looking at action/combat in the trailer.

Bayonetta is too niche only her hardcore fans can tell the difference. When I think of iconic I go to more well known characters like Mario his one liners even non gamers know it’s Mario.

I’m drawing blanks right now on who in games that is iconic. Snake? But is that because of David Hayter or Snake?. Sonic? I don’t remember voices but his music theme I remember. Basically most game music themes I remember but voices it’s hard to recall! IMO

Bragr

Banned
What rant? I saw a voice actress desperate to bring things to light. You can disagree with what she says, but let's pretend that 4k isnt insulting, how many millions the game sells regardless. Would you be happy with such a meagre compensation?

I know I sure as fuck wouldnt be.
Then take another job. That happens all the time, it's normal to choose jobs based on pay. Voice actors are replaced all the time.

She wanted people to boycott the game, boycott spin-offs, not allow Hale to sign as Bayonetta, associated herself with nurses collecting food stamps, and ended it all with a quote from Jesus. That's a rant.

How do you know they didn't end negotiations because she was too demanding? how do you know there weren't more incentives in the contract? how can you possibly justify hating people based on an allegation with no details?

Its filled with manchildren, harassers, purple haired woke people, and suits on top who care nothing about videogames and only care about profit.

Wake the fuck up bro.

Are you really insulting and under valuating a whole industry of hard working people just because of some misbehavior cases we found about?

WTF I think I found the so called "men-children"... Grow up dude ….

Over with you

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

Wake the fuck up bro.
Agreed.

Let's all face it. Media (which includes video games) sure have a lot of weird people. Social media whores, whiners, and vindictive (even to their own bosses on Twitter), and a corporate culture that also seems too dominated by men over 40 years so it becomes a boy's club. There always seems to be a "what's in it for me?" attitude that just oozes from them. I remember some people saying that's the nature of media people (a little crazy which is needed for creative types), so if that's what it is then that's the kind of people you get.

You wont see that often in other industries. Even ones that have 10x the number of people.

Whats the biggest video company in terms of employees? Activision or UBI? Small potatoes. I've worked at companies that probably have 10x the people and 20x the sales. I;ve never seen or heard a peer say dumb stuff on Twitter against their own company, boss or peers.

Last edited:

Rykan

Iconic is subjective, I watch 1 trailer recently I didn’t realize it was new VA. I’ll be honest I wasn’t paying attention to VA I was more looking at action/combat in the trailer.

Bayonetta is too niche only her hardcore fans can tell the difference. When I think of iconic I go to more well known characters like Mario his one liners even non gamers know it’s Mario.

I’m drawing blanks right now on who in games that is iconic. Snake? But is that because of David Hayter or Snake?. Sonic? I don’t remember voices but his music theme I remember. Basically most game music themes I remember but voices it’s hard to recall! IMO
The 2nd most upvoted comment on the most watched comparison video says that he didn't even realize that it's a new voice actor. Getting voice actors replaced is extremely common, and it's very rare for characters to have the same VA for long.

Fbh

bayo 1 sold about 1.2 million, bayo 2 sold about the same amount of copies when combining Wii U and Switch sales.
on Wii U it was a huge failure (less than 500k sales)

Astral Chain sold 1.3 to 1.4 million copies for comparison, and did so in a way shorter amount of time on a single platform

Wait so how did she even get to that 450 mill number?.
Even if we double those sales numbers and even if we assume every copy was sold at full price (which they absolutely weren't) you only get to like $280 mill.
I guess there's the anime and merchandise and stuff like that but I doubt they made as much money from that as they did with the games.

well looking at things this is free Press for the Game and it going to sell alots. Maybe best selling in game in the Series. Now come the Jenna spin off

Some might have been unaware of the franchise or never looked into it but this made them take a closer look.
As much as some people in this thread like to pretend that the story and the voice is the main appeal of the franchise. It has always stood out from all the other horny japanese games because it actually has great gameplay. You don't get a 90 and 91 metascore just because the main character has a sexy british voice (in fact the game getting such high scores from traditional media despite having a sexualized main character speaks volumes)

Hardensoul

Gold Member
Even if we double those sales numbers and even if we assume every copy was sold at full price (which they absolutely weren't) you only get to like $280 mill.
I guess there's the anime and merchandise and stuff like that but I doubt they made as much money from that as they did with the games.

Some might have been unaware of the franchise or never looked into it but this made them take a closer look.
As much as some people in this thread like to pretend that the story and the voice is the main appeal of the franchise. It has always stood out from all the other horny japanese games because it actually has great gameplay. You don't get a 90 and 91 metascore just because the main character has a sexy british voice (in fact the game getting such high scores from traditional media despite having a sexualized main character speaks volumes)
She specifically said without merchandise sales. I feel like a broken record repeating this, Bayonetta sales suck! Nintendo funded it to diversify their mature games lineup and because we all know of the “kiddie” label.

Last edited:

Ev1L AuRoN

Troy Baker also did mocap and Uncharted is a lot more cinematic there are also face capture, a lot more work and a lot more time, also, is F'in Uncharted, a flagship first party game, AAA. You can't compare the two.

FeralEcho

Ah yes the "profesionals" in this industry such as Platinum Games' Hideki Kamiya who throws a hissyfit on Twitter every 2 days and blocks anyone who argues with him like a spoiled brat.Trully a standard of professionalism.

Give me a fucking break.There's a world out there full of shitty jobs and adults who manage those employees quite unprofessionally.Hell,we have full on publishers in the gaming industry with ceos accused of sexual harrassment and other such professional behavior.

MMaRsu

Banned
Troy Baker also did mocap and Uncharted is a lot more cinematic there are also face capture, a lot more work and a lot more time, also, is F'in Uncharted, a flagship first party game, AAA. You can't compare the two.
Im comparing the voices. I dont need to hear the same voice in every role. In fact during the ps3/360 era it was even worst..

Ev1L AuRoN

Im comparing the voices. I dont need to hear the same voice in every role. In fact during the ps3/360 era it was even worst..
It would be better if the returned to her role as Bayonetta, I'm not denying that, but we can shift-blame and absolve her of any accountability. She didn't want to do it for 4k as she claimed, someone else did. End of the story.
I would love to hear her say what amount would satisfy her, and not just assume that PG is the one unreasonable.

MMaRsu

Banned
It would be better if the returned to her role as Bayonetta, I'm not denying that, but we can shift-blame and absolve her of any accountability. She didn't want to do it for 4k as she claimed, someone else did. End of the story.
I would love to hear her say what amount would satisfy her, and not just assume that PG is the one unreasonable.
Kamiya is a cunt soo...

daclynk

well said. i am gameplay over graphics type of a guy.

Fuz

Banned
This is what I'm wondering too. Since she's so entitled and convinced she IS Bayonetta.
Probably asked for an unreasonable amount and their counter offer was your typical Japanese-polite way of saying "you're fired".

Haha if you believe Jennifer Hale took the role for 4k you are out of your mind.
And this is also fueling my theory.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
It has always stood out from all the other horny japanese games because it actually has great gameplay.
Funny people say this, I’m currently playing Cyberbpunk and I’m surprisingly enjoying it but that game is more “horny” than all Japanese games I played combined. Bayonetta has zero nudity and beraly showing little skin but that game considered “horny” by majority of people.

Illo

Are you really insulting and under valuating a whole industry of hard working people just because of some misbehavior cases we found about?

WTF I think I found the so called "men-children"... Grow up dude ….

Over with you
Do you even know how childish people in any industry are? Professionalism is a nice idea, but I've seen far too many "professionals" act like children both in front of the camera or in person.

And "Misbehavior cases" what are you a damage control lawyer?
Following NDA's doesn't make you a professional. Heck, having NDA'S cover how much your paid or even allows for a company to lie about why you didn't work for them, for their own PR is abusive and damaging to individuals and shouldn't even be legal or enforceable to that extent.

Just leave this thread, your providing nothing but discourse (or maybe that was your intention).

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
If she's that good at her job, Nintendo/Platinum would had offered her more. If all they offer is the minimum Screen Actor's voice actor rate, then it shows they dont give a shit about her. Whether it will affect sales with a substitute person who knows. But too bad for Hellena. Its not her money. If she feels insulted by a low ball offer it shows she's shit.

In every industry, if someone is good at their job, no company is going to offer someone minimum wage as a starting negotiation tactic. And if the job is more senior (lets say it pays $70-100k), they arent going to string along a good candidate at $70k because they know they'll bolt. They probably start somewhere in the middle of their maximum budget and hope the candidate takes the offer. If not, they edge up and there's eventually a top value they will max out at to offer someone.

It looks like they offered her $4,000 and didn't budge. Oh well. If she's that great of a voice actress, go call up other media companies and accept whatever giant payouts they should be offering because she's supposed to be so good at it.

Last edited:
Do you even know how childish people in any industry are? Professionalism is a nice idea, but I've seen far too many "professionals" act like children both in front of the camera or in person.

And "Misbehavior cases" what are you a damage control lawyer?
Following NDA's doesn't make you a professional. Heck, having NDA'S cover how much your paid or even allows for a company to lie about why you didn't work for them, for their own PR is abusive and damaging to individuals and shouldn't even be legal or enforceable to that extent.

Just leave this thread, your providing nothing but discourse (or maybe that was your intention).

You guys really need to get a job and starting living in the real world.

Have you ever worked with other people ? Do you know what a agreement is ? Have you ever signed any contract in your life? Do you know how hard is to solve things in the companies when some employee(or ex employee) goes rogue and start to wrecking havoc ? Grown up people do their jobs as stated in their contracts... they dont just go on internet and throw a tantrum wherever something is not in their liking.

Please don't try to silence other gaffers opinions just because they are not aligned with yours, you're just sounding stupid. Remember this is a forum we are all supposed to share opinions here.

Last edited:

Ansphn

Might be unpopular opinion with the cancel culture running amok these days for the smallest things...But i think the heat should be on her for the selfish, self serving boycott she's trying to pull off on this game that won't work because this is a Nintendo game so Nintendo fans will buy this anyways (They gives no fucks, they just like Nintendo games).

Here is why she's selfish and full of shit.

1. Her calling out Jennifer Hale just because Jennifer accepted the position like Jennifer owe her something and suppose to not feed her family and put money in her pocket.

2. Her not supporting the other voice actor/actress over the years getting paid $2000-$4000 average as voice actors until it affected her.

3. Her thinking she's actually Bayonetta and not the people who created the games and the characters.

Last edited:
I honestly don't understand the "living wage" BS.

According to her, her last recording session took 4 days (4h each day for a total of 16 hours). Is 4k USD too low for that?

And there's no way the Bayonetta series has grossed 450 million $. Did her lawyer indoctrinate her to spout that blatant lie? Bayonetta is no Zelda/Mario.

If she really wants to see what "living wage" looks like, she should go work at Tesco or McDonalds.

But nooooo, celebrities are used to earn much more, right? Wonderful double standards...

The whole West is falling apart and we still care about 1st world troubles that celebrities/influencers face. We deserve the worst.

ps: The same thing happened with Uncharted 4 and Harry Flynn's VA. How many people remember this (apart from me)? Probably no one. Nobody discusses it anymore. Sony's flagship title and nobody bats an eye anymore.

I didn't like it one bit, but still, the game sold. Welcome to Capitalism, folks. Sometimes you get screwed over. There's no (subjective) morality here, unless you're a religious/sanctimonious person to begin with. Is she?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Might be unpopular opinion with the cancel culture running amok these days for the smallest thing...But i think the heat should be on her for the selfish, self serving boycott she's trying to pull off on this game that won't work because this is a Nintendo game so Nintendo fans will buy this anymore (They gives no fucks, they just like Nintendo games).

Here is why she's selfish and full of shit.

1. Her calling out Jennifer Hale just because Jennifer accepted the position like Jennifer owe her something and suppose to not feed her family and put money in her pocket.

2. Her not supporting the other voice actor/actress over the years getting paid $2000-$4000 average as voice actors until it affected her.

3. Her thinking she's actually Bayonetta and not the people who created the games and the characters.
Entitled.

She brings up the $450M franchise value, which I dont think anyone even believes is true. It doesn't make a difference Even if it's worth $1 billion of sales and super profitable, who cares. That gives companies room to spread the wealth but doesn't mean they have to. What she expects is that the more money it makes, the more she should get paid.

That's like saying Apple is one of the most profitable companies in the world, so by default every worker should get a million dollar salary just because they could do it.

She got offered $4,000. Even the default minimum set by the Screen Actors Guild at around $1000 per 4 hour shift is sweet. If someone cant appreciate getting paid $250/hr, it goes to show what kind of entitled attitude she has.

The counter argument is doing audio recordings isn't a FT stable job like most people have grinding it out every day for $20/hr. So expectations is people in those kinds of jobs should be guaranteed big hourly payouts to cover the dead time as a hired gun contract worker.

Well, it's her choice to do hit and miss acting/voice gigs. And by the looks of it she probably isn't too successful (unless she has a bunch of other work I dont know about that pays the bills). If all she got offered was the Hollywood minimum rate it goes to show her worth.

bayonetta is not a successful franchise though
but since they hired an actress that apparently is pretty famous in her place,seems like the low offer was on purpose to get rid of her,for what reason who knows

Btw hiring other famous actress with higher price just to fake the voice sounds exactly the same as her is kind of stupid lol.

Top Bottom