• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hello Games Says New Project Is So Ambitious It Would 'Seem Impossible' Even With a 1,000 Person Team

Aion002

Sigh, yeah my thought exacly, he’s going all in on hype yet again.

How about just working on it, say nothing, then release a launch trailer once it’s ready and go ”Available today.”. Can devs in general please start doing that?
Ehh... They rather overhype some unfinished repetitive broken piece of shit of a game and get millions on pre orders, then, after the launch, start working on fixing the game and adding some content, so the people that got duped in buying an unfinished product are happy, because the dev apparently "cares" about them and is working hard on fixing the game...

90 Day Fiance Ari GIF by TLC

MaKTaiL

OP left out the most important bit of the article where Sean says they've learned their lesson and won't be showing off the game until it's ready. They've been doing this with every update for No Man's Sky ever since it was released and it wouldn't be different now. They only reveal updates literally hours before it's released.

AllBizness

Banned
My problem with No Man's Sky is while flying in space you go through a damn asteroid belt every 10 seconds it's on a loop and its annoying af and its totally immersion breaking to the point that I cant play the game. It's a shame, I wish I could be all over this.

KXVXII9X

What would make them say something like this after the huge backlash of No Man's Sky being so ambitious? They have definitely redeemed themselves although I never thought bad of the devs and knew the situation was more nuanced than a lot of the glowing headlines suggested. But they are doing well with NMS right now and I would hate to see themselves set themselves up for another bluster.

I also hope this isn't another overly large open world game for the sake of being an overly large open world game with lots of padding and time wasting shenanigans in between. I would love for devs to get back to making super polished straightforward games that offer a lot of depth and advancements in physics and A.I. I hope it is ambitious in the way of Dreams, The Last Guardian, and Zelda's physics implementation instead of just bigger=more ambitious. This is my extremely biased opinion though.

Fredrik

OP left out the most important bit of the article where Sean says they've learned their lesson and won't be showing off the game until it's ready. They've been doing this with every update for No Man's Sky ever since it was released and it wouldn't be different now. They only reveal updates literally hours before it's released.
That’s what Bethesda has been doing too, proof is still in the pudding if that’s a good or bad thing when they’re still talking. People will process every little word there is and then have nothing holding their expectations in check, it’s risky.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I like the risk. And ambition. I just like results.

I like the Nintendo approach. Silent and show and tell later.

Or something like how Minecraft or Stardew Valley make a huge splash. No one really says anything. But then things are shown and released and you can tell these are something different and ambitious projects.

Hello Games and Sean Murray are operating in an industry where everyone ignores 99% of the games that get released.

Nintendo is the greatest developer in history and Stardew Valley was the most successful game made by 1 person of all time. "Hey, 20 person indie studio, just do a Nintendo or a Stardew Valley" ignores all the flops and failures that come and go with no one talking about them.

What he should do is what he's doing. Make something ambitious AF and market the **** out of it. My feeling won't be hurt if I end up not liking the game or if he slightly misled us like everyone in marketing does all the time.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
One of the few threads where the asshole responses are kinda warranted.
Yup.

Imagine buying a car where the owner of the dealership shows you a car, gives you a brochure jammed packed with features, and every time you asked him about the car, the guy says Yes!, that feature is included with a dumb look on his face like he's stoned.

You buy the car.

It's ready on the day they said it would be ready.

You pick the car up and it turns on and drives. So technically it does work. But it has no shell, no AC, no passenger seats, no audio system, no heated seats and 15 more things not included when the owner said it would be. The car was promoted as a slick smooth driving vehicle, but turns out when you drive it, it's rough like you just came back from a bumpy road mining ore inside a dark cave.

Sounds reasonable to feel ripped off. Especially when it's a fully priced car like all the others at $40-60k.

Yet somehow some drivers defend the dealership owner like a job well done.

Last edited:
6 years and 20+ free major content updates later hate is still "kinda warranted" ?

Those still nursing a grudge over this disgust me to be truthful. Its psychopathic to be so unforgiving.
The current state of the game is what was promised at launch. You dont get brownie points. Plus he should have learned his lesson about hyperbole, after the ruckus he caused before.

The game being great and redeemable is totally a valid opinion of yours. But getting forgiveness doesn’t mean you go doing the same shit again.

The hyperbole of comparing whatever random asset generator they created to a 1000 person team is 99.999999999999% guaranteed to be bullshit.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I am surprised people are still doubting this man or this team. What in god's name ACTION these Dev's needs to do to have this faith.

In terms of support, Undoubtedly one of the best developer on the planet right now.
Pretty easy to me and other people.

Don't claim the game has a million features saying Yes! Yes! Yes! to every question in gaming interviews and talk shows.

Being honest with gamers about feature set at launch. What a concept!

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
The current state of the game is what was promised at launch.

No its not, its way more than what was initially offered. Way more!

For the record, I don't even own the game or play the game. That I can argue in its defense with such confidence based on simply reading about the game, watching trailers, skimming patch notes etc. As part of showing basic interest in picking it up at some point, just shows how utterly divorced from objective reality you have to be to make a statement like yours!

Just stop you mentalist! You're not getting a rise out of me, I'm just baffled that anyone would argue such an easily disprovable case!

Look here

The game's website has a comprehensive release log showing every content update and patch issue.

OuterLimits

NMS was good at release. It's 100x better now.

Yes, they oversold it, but it's a fine line between generating hype and over-promising. It's a business at the end of the day. Hello Games went above and beyond since NMS launched and turned the game into something special.

I won't deny that it's pretty good now, but the game was pretty bad at launch. It was basically "find more inventory slots" the game and fly to the center of the galaxy .

While it still kind of is "find more inventory slots" the game, it actually does have a narrative now, better planets, quests, multiplayer, base building, etc. ...

I won't deny that it's pretty good now, but the game was pretty bad at launch. It was basically "find more inventory slots" the game and fly to the center of the galaxy .

While it still kind of is "find more inventory slots" the game, it actually does have a narrative now, better planets, quests, multiplayer, base building, etc. ...
I had a lot of fun with it. I platinumed it on my first playthrough which I started on launch day.

TIGERCOOL

well.. he didn't even say it was going to be good, just that it was exceedingly ambitious for a small team. The same was certainly true of No Man's Sky, to its detriment. The real mistake was promising features that weren't even close to being in the game at release. The multiplayer promise was particularly bizarre. I guess he assumed no one would actually find each other in the game and was caught red-handed when they did within a week of release

the guy definitely has the warning signs of a pathalogical liar, but this initial statement isn't too bad in my books.

Last edited:
6 years and 20+ free major content updates later hate is still "kinda warranted" ?

Those still nursing a grudge over this disgust me to be truthful. Its psychopathic to be so unforgiving.
What "disgusts" me is when people act like the customers have no right to still be upset about a business transaction that was based on a mountain of lies. We owe Sean Murray NOTHING, he already has our money. Heaven forbid that some of us aren't willing to kiss his multimillionaire ass, after he made his fortune by scamming the public.

Oh, those "disgusting" customers! Expecting me to not lie!

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
What "disgusts" me is when people act like the customers have no right to still be upset about a business transaction that was based on a mountain of lies. We owe Sean Murray NOTHING, he already has our money. Heaven forbid that some of us aren't willing to kiss his multimillionaire ass, after he made his fortune by scamming the public.

Oh, those "disgusting" customers! Expecting me to not lie!

Its been nearly 4 years dude... let it go!

Seriously you think anyone gives a toss that you were disappointed at the time? Especially when over that time-frame the game has been built out and expanded upon better than most MMO's!

If their next game is going to get supported the same way, its getting better post launch support than all but a tiny handful of titles in existence!

And that, the massive post-launch support, is far more relevant than any promises made pre-launch.

See, this is the reason why I'm pretty motivated about tackling complaints about a game I don't play:

I cannot think of any game of its generation that has been improved and updated as diligently, and for no additional cost, without even cosmetic MTX, as NMS has.

In the context of that, cannot you grasp how dementedly petty, pissing and moaning about pre-launch promises/expectations comes across as being?

And quite honestly, why is Sean Murray still the whipping-boy for ludicrous over-promising in a world where Star Citizen (started 2012) exists?

Its been nearly 4 years dude... let it go!

Seriously you think anyone gives a toss that you were disappointed at the time? Especially when over that time-frame the game has been built out and expanded upon better than most MMO's!

If their next game is going to get supported the same way, its getting better post launch support than all but a tiny handful of titles in existence!

And that, the massive post-launch support, is far more relevant than any promises made pre-launch.

See, this is the reason why I'm pretty motivated about tackling complaints about a game I don't play:

I cannot think of any game of its generation that has been improved and updated as diligently, and for no additional cost, without even cosmetic MTX, as NMS has.

In the context of that, cannot you grasp how dementedly petty, pissing and moaning about pre-launch promises/expectations comes across as being?

And quite honestly, why is Sean Murray still the whipping-boy for ludicrous over-promising in a world where Star Citizen (started 2012)
What's truly demented is acting as though taking 6 years to finish the game after we paid for it is something that deserves nonstop praise. We get Sean Murray praise threads every time No Man's Sky gets an update, and it's gotten quite old and redundant.
The fact that none of you want to admit is that the only reason those updates exist is because WE paid them to develop the game.
Sorry, my opinion about the guy hasn't changed, and never will. He pulled one of the biggest scams in industry history. Fixing it years later doesn't change that fact.
What's really messed up is that you act as though the CUSTOMER did something wrong because they won't forget about being lied to by Sean Murray. You act like we somehow did something wrong to him. What an ass-backwards way to look at the world.

Name ONE other consumer product wherein we would accept a 6 year wait for the product to be finished after we buy it. And then angrily defend the company when other people point out the lunacy. I swear, No Man's Sky fans have the single most demented mindset in the gaming industry. The zealous hero worship of Sean Murray never ceases to amaze.

Btw. The game still isn't good, even with all the improvements. It's a grind within a grind within a grind. Keep on acting like it's mana from heaven I guess. I've had my fill of this topic until the next update comes out, and I have to listen to more ridiculous praise for a millionaire scam artist.

Rykan

Considering that this basically confirms that you're about to take on a project that you don't have the resources for, this means that there is absolutely no reason to pay any attention to it at all.

Appreciate his honesty.

I am surprised people are still doubting this man or this team. What in god's name ACTION these Dev's needs to do to have this faith.

In terms of support, Undoubtedly one of the best developer on the planet right now.
Don't bother defending them at this time. If you want to make the ultimate gamble of an entire thread eating delicious crow, save this thread to your watch list and come back within 4-7 years when the game comes out. Then, bump the thread if it ends up being a great game, and sit back for the replies.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Name ONE other consumer product wherein we would accept a 6 year wait for the product to be finished after we buy it. And then angrily defend the company when other people point out the lunacy. I swear, No Man's Sky fans have the single most demented mindset in the gaming industry. The zealous hero worship of Sean Murray never ceases to amaze.

No game is ever finished, its simply abandoned at some point. There are always things that you can conceivably add or re-work, and do so in the knowledge that even then some people will still think it sucks.

This reality is why most games only receive limited support post-release. At the end of the day, it is what it is! You do the best you can in the time allotted and then move onto the next thing and hope it turns out better.

Any game receiving support 4 years out from release is extraordinary, and that includes live-service titles where post-launch support is factored in -typically through MTX or some other method of further revenue generation.

Btw. The game still isn't good, even with all the improvements. It's a grind within a grind within a grind. Keep on acting like it's mana from heaven I guess. I've had my fill of this topic until the next update comes out, and I have to listen to more ridiculous praise for a millionaire scam artist.

You're entitled to your opinion of the game, but its not relevant to the issue.

What's kinda baffling to me is your apparent belief that your contribution in terms of buying a copy entitles you to life-time support on the part of the team!

Be honest, is NMS the only game that's ever disappointed you? And that being the case, how much work was subsequently done post-launch to improve it/those titles comparatively?

Because the bottom line for me is this weirdly personal anger you (and other people holding the same multi-year grudges) have for Murray and his tiny team. You knew up front this was a game made by a group of 10 people, and yet your holding it to a way higher standard than AAA corporate productions.

Its weird!

The only logical meaning to this is AI and Procedural Generation.

I can imagine the engineers that worked on the Procedural generation of the universe working on new engine stuff and making a new game around that. But what? Voice AI? Realistic NPCs? Could it be like a whole world but vast and more real with cities and stuff? Or a instead of going outwards into the universe, go inwards into the celular stuff? Maybe make Spore right?

nkLilVU.jpg

I felt bad for this dude after NMS was such a disasterpiece at launch. Seemed like he just got in over his head and was just rolling with everything hoping it would all come together. He needs to seriously reel in his ambitions when talking to the press and public.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
What's truly demented is acting as though taking 6 years to finish the game after we paid for it is something that deserves nonstop praise. We get Sean Murray praise threads every time No Man's Sky gets an update, and it's gotten quite old and redundant.
The fact that none of you want to admit is that the only reason those updates exist is because WE paid them to develop the game.
Sorry, my opinion about the guy hasn't changed, and never will. He pulled one of the biggest scams in industry history. Fixing it years later doesn't change that fact.
What's really messed up is that you act as though the CUSTOMER did something wrong because they won't forget about being lied to by Sean Murray. You act like we somehow did something wrong to him. What an ass-backwards way to look at the world.

What a scam artist who mortgages his place to finish the game and then reinvests the proceeds back into the game and the company while the you spend $50-60 at launch and get almost 6 years worth of free expansions, VR support, new graphics engine update, etc… meanwhile this also gets support for new platforms like Switch :rolleyes:.

Last edited:

Filben

Why do some devs always have these ambitions to begin with? And then they'll appear utterly surprised by people's expectations because they're "brutal", to quote someone from DICE.

Top Bottom