• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Help me build a decent gaming PC for around $2,000 (including monitor, keyboard, etc)

Neiteio

Not looking to build anything bleeding-edge here. Just something that can play my current Steam library well, and perhaps some early current-gen titles, if possible.

My gaming PC (which was also my work PC) has gone belly up. It even freezes while doing disk cleanup, defragmentation, etc. Pretty sure the hardware is failing.

Going off-hand (writing from the office so I can't check; usually I work at home), it was an Asus Republic of Gamers laptop, bought in 2011 -- Windows 7, 64-bit, i7, 8GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 560M (2GB), 1TB HDD, etc...

I'm no expert on PCs, but I think those are the relevant details. It served me well, allowing me to enjoy most games on Steam (although it was obviously starting to struggle with recent releases).

This time, I'm thinking of making a desktop PC. My friend in IT will help me build it. He also told me what -types- of parts I need, and possible price ranges. But he hasn't had a spare moment yet to make specific recommendations. Which is where I'm hoping GAF can help.

I'd like to spend around $2,000, maybe more, but ideally I'll stay within that amount. This would include the monitor, keyboard, mouse, etc. I'm not looking to make a bleeding-edge monster rig. I'd just like something that can play all of my last-gen PC games (BioShock Infinite, etc) really well, and that can hopefully play some newer releases, as well. For the next few years, I'll be leaning on my PS4 for more advanced games, but I still need a gaming PC to access my current Steam collection, etc.

My friend in IT, shooting from the hip, said recommended parts would include:

+ Motherboard (with Wi-Fi): ~ $200
+ 8GB RAM: ~ $200
+ i7 CPU: ~ $220
+ GPU: ~ $400
+ 3TB HDD: ~ $110
+ 128GB SSD: ~ $100
+ Water cooler: ~ $100
+ Power supply: ~ $100
+ Windows 8 and Microsoft Office: ~ $300
+ 24-inch monitor: ~ $200
+ Monitor cable: ~ $10
+ Tower (with USBs): ~ $70
+ DVD/CD writer/burner: ~ $20
+ Keyboard: ~ $50
+ Mouse: ~ $60
+ External SD adapter: ~ $20

I think that's around $2,160. I'm told each of these price estimates are high-balled a bit. I could put more into the GPU if I can save more on other parts.

Of course, all of this might be woefully misguided. I'm looking to create something that would be fast, stable, keep its cool, and do what I want it to do -- where gaming is concerned, that means great performance for last-gen games, and decent performance for some early current-gen games.

Any ideas on specific parts? I'm hoping I can assemble a list of links to specific parts, which my friend can then review, and perhaps proceed to buying them and putting this rig together.

$2,000 is a high fucking budget. You'll have a beast.

Good start:

fN2PSHK.png

From the new PC thread.

RoKKeR

$2000 will get you a hell of a lot more than 'decent'.

Other than my snarky comment I don't have much for you OP, sold my gaming PC in 2013.

You could build a "decent" rig for under half that. :p The rig you're proposing isn't "decent", it's pretty damn good.

I'm receiving conflicting messages, lol.

I just want a gaming PC that will play BioShock Infinite on highest settings.

I love that game, lol.

I was joking. You can build a really really good PC for $1000. But yeah, check the thread that everybody linked, read all of the OP and then ask questions there.

I love that game, lol.
That $3000 remark is a joke, because people are always yelling out that a PC would cost that much when they try to come up with reasons why they don't want one :)

bigkrev

I love that game, lol.

The 3,000 guy is being Sarcastic.

I can run Bioshock Infinite at 1080P maxed out on my 1000 dollar machine.

UnrealEck

Why would you spend $2000 or more if you're relying on your PS4 for newer games?

You can probably take that hard drive out your laptop and I don't think you need water cooling either if you're relying on a PS4 for newer games anyway.

I love that game, lol.

2nd guy is fucking with you. A PC that is $2,000 will be amazing. Try to budget in a 120hz monitor if your computer will be that nice.

Skunkers

Good news, you can build a freaking beast of a computer for that much money; even including OS/Office/monitor. I built a 4790K/250GB SSD/2 3TB HDDs beast for under $1500 a few months ago.

If you don't need as much storage as I did you could do an SLI monster rig for the same money probably.

Giever

I love that game, lol.

Pretty sure you can play Bioshock Infinite on the highest settings for under $1000. Well, probably not if we're inlcuding keyboard, monitor, OS, etc.

Seriously, just use that image the person posted earlier as a template and customize it from there.

Dude I spent a little over half your budget for a very decent PC.

For two grand you're gonna have a monster PC.
Or a MacBook Pro.

Do you have some reason for wanting to go water cooled? Unless you're planning on doing some heavy overclocking or need it to run near silent, I wouldn't bother.

As others have said, $2000 is for a helluva machine, not something merely decent to run Bioshock Infinite. I think I was able to run Bioshock Infinite on a GTX 660 card on an otherwise 4 year old Dell XPS. Not a demanding game at all.

This is the budget I'm looking for though, so this thread will be useful lol

BPoole

8GB of RAM is nowhere near $200. That should only cost you $80 tops. You could also probably get by easily with a $150 mother board. I would also say a 3TB HDD is overkill, but I don't know what you do on computer that may take up that much.

Doing those 3 things should net you about $200 of flexibility. I would suggest getting a larger SSD and a better GPU

EdLin

Neo Member

I love that game, lol.

My PC can play that on high/ultra settings, it costs under $500 total. Just popped in a 750ti $130-$150 video card from nvidia and I was ready.

It's a last-gen game you want to play, your $2,000 budget is for a PC that is playing next-gen games pushing 4K resolution, not for playing last-gen games at 1080p. If that's all you want to do, you can spend a lot less money.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Can you hold off for a couple months? RIght now seems like a great time to just wait a little bit. Skylake and Pascal are right around the corner and look like they will be the biggest leaps in desktop tech in a while.

Of course, all of this might be woefully misguided.

Well that part is right.

If you are going to spend that kind of money, there is no sense buying a $200 monitor.

I'd spend $400-600 on a GSYNC monitor and the rest would build you a beastly computer. Or, if you could hold out until the summer/fall, the next generation of Intel CPUs and AMD/Nvidia GPUs might be available, and you could build a computer around Skylake K

Krejlooc

Banned
You're not going to spend $200 on 8gb ddr3 ram, lol. Either go 16gb, or use the savings to get a gtx 980. Trust me, a rig looker you're proposing, go top end gpu.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
8GB of RAM is nowhere near $200. That should only cost you $80 tops. You could also probably get by easily with a $150 mother board. I would also say a 3TB HDD is overkill, but I don't know what you do on computer that may take up that much.

Doing those 3 things should net you about $200 of flexibility. I would suggest getting a larger SSD and a better GPU
It is if you go DDR4.

What do people think the sweet spot is for where you can get the most gains before diminishing returns start to set in. For example a $1000 build should provide a huge improvement in graphics, processing power, storage, etc, over a $500 build. A $1500 build should be a nice step up from a $1000 build. But in going from like $1500 to $2000 or$2000 to $2500 I doing believe you see the same kind of performance gains unless you're rendering large videos or something.

Am I off base with that assumption?

Edit: I suppose a more sound comparison would be $500 to $1000, $1000 to $2000, $2000 to $4000

CHC

You can pay way less for RAM, motherboard, and a couple other things and bump that GPU budget by a good 300 bucks. GPU is everything really, expensive RAM is not gonna make any notable difference.

Neiteio

Well OK, maybe $2,000 is too much then. I certainly don't want to spend $2,000, but I was under the impression I should...?

Remember, the $2,000 figure includes the monitor, keyboard, mouse, etc. But if we can make a strong PC -and- include all of those other items, for well under $2,000... Well, then sign me up. :)

Well OK, maybe $2,000 is too much then. I certainly don't want to spend $2,000, but I was under the impression I should...?

Remember, the $2,000 figure includes the monitor, keyboard, mouse, etc. But if we can make a strong PC -and- include all of those other items, for well under $2,000... Well, then sign me up. :)

Build a nice PC with OS, monitor and everything for $1500 and use the other $500 to go nuts on the next Steam sale.

I'm pleasantly surprised that $2000 will build a beastly PC. I'm also looking to build one soon, and my budget is around $3500. I need everything excluding a monitor.

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread.

Mesoian

I love that game, lol.

Let's put it this way, I built a rig 3 years ago that could play BI on it's highest settings for 900.

I'm pleasantly surprised that $2000 will build a beastly PC. I'm also looking to build one soon, and my budget is around $3500. I need everything excluding a monitor.

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread.

No lie, you will have difficulty spending all that. Even really nice 24-30 inch monitors aren't that much anymore.

Top Bottom