• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Help me build a decent gaming PC for around $2,000 (including monitor, keyboard, etc)

elelunicy

A 1080p monitor is laughable in 2015, period. And don't get a 144hz monitor either. It's one of those things that got incredibly hyped by their owners on the Internet because they feel like they need to justify their purchase. I owned a 120hz for almost two years and I was never impressed by it. Went back to 60hz last year and I didn't miss the high refresh rate a tiny bit.

I care about colors and viewing angles, but there is NO point if it all turns into a garbled mess of blur once you move the image.
So the pixels are the correct color for a brief moment before they go through their slow transition phase again, showing SHIT during that 90 percent of time and that persists through the next several frames
Wooptie doo!

Funny considering you still get tons of blur with just a 144hz monitor. The only way to eliminate it is through something like ULMB, which would be equalvent to running in 400hz+. And yet I don't think many people use ULMB on a regular basis, even if they could.

Durante

High refresh rates aren't overhyped (for reaction-based gaming) at all. The only problem is that they mostly come bundled with shitty panel types.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Disk space can always be added. I would just get a 256-500 gig SSD now, and not worry about a storage drive. Unless you're ripping Blu-rays or determined to have the entire CoD series installed at once, you can probably live with the space for a year.

I would personally never recommend a build without an SSD as well, unless it was a super budget build or something like that. A $1500 build damn well better have a SSD imo.

Agreed, and when I think PC build I generally never count a monitor, keyboard, and mouse into the equation, however in this case to OP wanted that stuff included in the price. Subtract those items and there is money left over for an i7, and an SSD for 1500 bucks.

You have to understand that I'm not just putting this out there without being completely aware of all the options. I have a 144 Hz TN G-sync monitor... in its box in my closet, because I can't stand the IQ.

Yo Durante lemme cop that monitor *swipes*

Unstable

But I understand there were huge jumps back in the day.
I mean today!
2 970s superclocked powers every game I have played at 80+ fps. No regrets. Including Dying Light.
Did you play Dying Light on release? It had massive frame variance. Are you saying that your highest fps was above >80 but not that your maintaining >80fps all the time? Because that would make a heck of a lot more sense.

badb0y

If you have a Microcenter near you, you can get a CPU/Mobo combo at a really good price.

I would say put ~$1200-$1300 on PC parts, ~$500 for monitor, and ~$200 on peripherals. You may be tempted to go balls out on the PC itself and skimp on the monitor/peripherals but don't.

Compsiox

Banned
Did you play Dying Light on release? It had massive frame variance. Are you saying that your highest fps was above >80 but not that your maintaining >80fps all the time? Because that would make a heck of a lot more sense.

It at most dropped to like 68fps but only reached that during intense story missions such as when you plant the bombs. But everywhere else at least stayed in the 70s or higher.

Neiteio

Just want to say I'm considering everything being said here, and I really appreciate all of the feedback, especially the posts that give me a list of specific parts and prices to consider. That helps me to understand which parts might work together well in a safe, stable manner, and at what cost.

Ultimately, I'm going to take the various build suggestions and run them by my friend, and I'll come back to you guys for another round. So please keep the suggestions coming.

I also hope this thread will be useful to others, insofar as showing the different costs of entry for PC gaming. Seems more approachable than I thought.

I'm sorry that's bullshit. Not all gaming is sub-ms twitch action gaming.

You have to understand that I'm not just putting this out there without being completely aware of all the options. I have a 144 Hz TN G-sync monitor... in its box in my closet, because I can't stand the IQ.

Of course, VA is much preferable to IPS in IQ for media consumption and gaming, but both beat TN by miles.

Well you buy a monitor to play all kinds of games, not just RTS and heartstone and diablo and and street fighter.
an ips panel is going to give you a very poor experience in first person games, in an (imo) more profound way than just bad colors image quality will affect your ability to enjoy heartstone or Pcars.

I can't stand blur even more than I can't stand poor image quality. (just like I can't stand input lag more than I can't stand screentearing)
I'm not defending tn panels btw, don't get me wrong.

If OP says all he plays is dota and he hates any kind of first/third person action games then I'd say sure go ahead and buy an IPS panel.
But he didn't specify and I'd personally be really bummed out if I had to play cs like that.

Display choice is a hard one as there is no display out there that you can buy (unless you can afford some medical grade oled for 10.000 euros) that isn't fucked in some ways if you like games and have any kind of standards for image quality.
I've been mulling over what monitor to buy for ages and I'm not even getting a 120 hz panel or anything like the one I suggested to OP, I'm just getting some cheap POS with low input lag with the only comfort for my imminent buyer's remorse being that it's cheap enough to be able to just have it as a second monitor for when someone finally makes that fairy unicorn 120hz 0 input lag low response time backlight strobing freesync VA monitor that also has even backlighting and an acceptable coating finally comes out.(or an oled monitor would be better but I gave up on that ever coming out)
I looked into IPS, I would love an IPS as I can't deal with the TN viewing angles and image quality... it's an eyesore, but the increased blur is a dealbreaker for me.
I don't have a choice, my crt is fucked, it's dead I need to let it go, I'm being asked what bug I want to eat, I pick the spider.

Unstable

High refresh rates aren't overhyped (for reaction-based gaming) at all. The only problem is that they mostly come bundled with shitty panel types.
After tasting 144hz I can't go back. I will continue to happily live in my ignorance of IPS panels and their beauty. If only to save myself from upgrading my 3 BenQ 1080p 144hz monitors. I'm scared for my wallet when that Acer IPS 1440p 144hz comes out.

Neiteio

OP here. Maybe I should clarify what kind of games I like on PC, since that seems to factor into which monitor to choose.

My favorite PC game is BioShock Infinite. Others include (in no particular order) Left 4 Dead 2, Bulletstorm, Dark Souls, Sleeping Dogs, Arkham Asylum and Arkham City, Metal Gear Rising, Amnesia: The Dark Descent, Alan Wake, Dear Esther, Portal and Portal 2, and more.

So many different genres, but I guess they all have "action" in common (even horror games like Amnesia, where you're sprinting down a hallway).

Compsiox

Banned
OP here. Maybe I should clarify what kind of games I like on PC, since that seems to factor into which monitor to choose.

My favorite PC game is BioShock Infinite. Others include (in no particular order) Left 4 Dead 2, Bulletstorm, Dark Souls, Sleeping Dogs, Arkham Asylum and Arkham City, Metal Gear Rising, Amnesia: The Dark Descent, Alan Wake, Dear Esther, Portal and Portal 2, and more.

So many different genres, but I guess they all have "action" in common (even horror games like Amnesia, where you're sprinting down a hallway).

Get a 144hz cause youll probably be able to run those at a pretty high fps even on a mid tier PC.

Unstable

You should probably go with a IPS panel, you seem more into slower paced games where timing isn't absolutely crucial, as opposed to something like CS:GO.

Other posters would be better at recommending a good IPS monitor than I would. As I'm firmly on team refresh rate.

Edit - To simplify your choice, what do you think would be more important to you? A great looking image with large full color and contrast? Or smoother motion and gameplay with much less tearing, but with washed out colors?

Digby

Neo Member
choosemypc.net

Your welcome OP.

I used this to build my PC. Works very very well.

Saved this link. I'm going to use that when I'm ready.

People keep saying 'use pcpartpicker!'. If you don't know what you're looking for or don't care to keep up with this stuff, the site becomes a fucking nightmare.

OP I suggest you let durante pick your parts and monitor, he's the most unbiased person on the forum when it comes to this stuff and he's very knowledgeable about anything hardware and software related.

@ durante, since you're here
is there such a thing as a <200 euro (60hz, 1080p or 1200p) IPS with a decent overdrive function (no horrible ghosting) and decent response time
asking this for myself as on monday I'm picking up a benq rl2455hm tn panel because I've not been able to find anything better at that price range, but you never know if such a monitor came out recently I'd get that.

A 1080p monitor is laughable in 2015, period. And don't get a 144hz monitor either. It's one of those things that got incredibly hyped by their owners on the Internet because they feel like they need to justify their purchase. I owned a 120hz for almost two years and I was never impressed by it. Went back to 60hz last year and I didn't miss the high refresh rate a tiny bit.

Funny considering you still get tons of blur with just a 144hz monitor. The only way to eliminate it is through something like ULMB, which would be equalvent to running in 400hz+. And yet I don't think many people use ULMB on a regular basis, even if they could.
That's a result of how your eye perceives sample and hold... IPS , va and even oled all suffer from it in the same way (hence why the backlight strobing bandaid exists)
(I remember lcd tv manufacturers back in the day advertising sample and hold as a good thing and crt pulsing as a bad thing, dirty marketing clowns /spit)
The frames the monitor puts out are not blurred (take a picture of them and they are sharp), but the way it updates makes you see it as blurry in motion.
A higher refresh rate goes a long way to helping mitigate that sample and hold blur btw, which is why people swear by 144hz monitors and why a 60 hz low response time monitor (like the one I'm buying ) is SHIT in comparison. I'd get a 144hz one but my potato amd cpu can't drive it in games, I'll get one when I get a new pc)

Having the image be displayed blurred on the monitor to begin with is only going to make it ten times worse though.

That was why I suggested that http://www.prad.de/new/monitore/test/2014/test-lg-24gm77-b-teil9.html monitor
Because:
-it's 144hz (mitigate sample and hold blur)
-has a good response time (mitigate lcd blur)
-has a nearly artifactfree overdrive mode (which is unheard of, usually you trade blur for trailing when you enable overdrive, here you get neither which makes it attractive)
-has backlight strobing for if you can deal with the reduced brightness and want crt like motion clarity
-costs 300 euros instead of 800
negative is it's missing gsync (though except for the rog swift most first gen gsync monitors have terrible panels and terrible backlight problems from reviews i've read)
has reasonable image quality FOR TN STANDARDS, as in one eye is king of the blind

Just want to say I'm considering everything being said here, and I really appreciate all of the feedback, especially the posts that give me a list of specific parts and prices to consider. That helps me to understand which parts might work together well in a safe, stable manner, and at what cost.

Ultimately, I'm going to take the various build suggestions and run them by my friend, and I'll come back to you guys for another round. So please keep the suggestions coming.

I also hope this thread will be useful to others, insofar as showing the different costs of entry for PC gaming. Seems more approachable than I thought.

Is there anything about your PC that you care about aside from performance? It could potentially help put things in scope.

Neiteio

Is there anything about your PC that you care about aside from performance? It could potentially help put things in scope.
I'm a journalist, so I do a lot of writing. I often have multiple documents open to cross-reference while I write. I'll transcribe interview audio and review video, as well. But none of this seems particularly intensive.

At some point I might launch a website, edit video, etc. So that might be a consideration. But right now I'm looking for a safe, stable, reliable system that is fast enough to multi-task and powerful enough to play my current library of Steam games, and hopefully more down the line.

Compsiox

Banned
I'm a journalist, so I do a lot of writing. I often have multiple documents open to cross-reference while I write. I'll transcribe interview audio and review video, as well. But none of this seems particularly intensive.

At some point I might launch a website, edit video, etc. So that might be a consideration. But right now I'm looking for a safe, stable, reliable system that is fast enough to multi-task and powerful enough to play my current library of Steam games, and hopefully more down the line.

That PC you just posted is perfect for your current library and performing multiple tasks. For video editing you should get an i7 unless it won't be intense editing.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

Unless it's got G-Sync, I don't think there's much point in owning such a high-refresh rate display since it's unlikely you'll be able to maintain 120+ fps in most games. You'll just end up playing at 60 fps or getting a lot of stutter and tearing on a conventional monitor won't you? The only other usage is 3D gaming, and of course high refresh rate in Windows, which is nice, but probably not a selling point.

OP I suggest you let durante pick your parts and monitor, he's the most unbiased person on the forum when it comes to this stuff and he's very knowledgeable about anything hardware and software related.

@ durante, since you're here
is there such a thing as a <200 euro (60hz, 1080p or 1200p) IPS with a decent overdrive function (no horrible ghosting) and decent response time
asking this for myself as on monday I'm picking up a benq rl2455hm tn panel because I've not been able to find anything better at that price range, but you never know if such a monitor came out recently I'd get that.

Wait for the upcoming ACER G-Sync monitor. It's a 144hz IPS display with supposedly 3ms input lag, ULMB support, and G-Sync support.

Unstable

I tested this by setting the budget for the PC itself to $1,000 (leaving $500 over for monitor, keyboard, etc). Here are the results: http://choosemypc.net/build/?budget=1000&oc=false&options=os,od

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2nmC99
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2nmC99/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($214.95 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($25.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock Z97 Anniversary ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($76.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($116.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($101.99 @ Adorama)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($39.99 @ Best Buy)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB Video Card ($324.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: NZXT Source 210 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($28.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($59.98 @ OutletPC)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($14.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $1005.83
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Edited that build a tad. Managed to give you 16GB of ram. Switched the CPU to the unlocked version, removed the optical drive, swapped the power supply to a Corsair one, swapped the motherboard to the ATX version, and a better CPU heatsink.

Also, you really don't need to buy a OEM version of windows. You can get a key for super cheap on reddit.

Edit - Added a optical drive.

Compsiox

Banned
CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($214.95 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($25.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock Z97 Anniversary ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($76.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($116.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($101.99 @ Adorama)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($39.99 @ Best Buy)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB Video Card ($324.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: NZXT Source 210 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($28.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($59.98 @ OutletPC)
Total: $990.84
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Edited that build a tad. Managed to give you 16GB of ram. Switched the CPU to the unlocked version, removed the optical drive, swapped the power supply to a Corsair one, swapped the motherboard to something a little cheaper, and a slightly less expensive CPU heatsink.

You need an optical drive to install the OEM windows 8.1.....

Flai

Can you hold off for a couple months? RIght now seems like a great time to just wait a little bit. Skylake and Pascal are right around the corner and look like they will be the biggest leaps in desktop tech in a while.

Ehm...

I'm pretty sure Pascal is coming in late '15 or early '16, so it's not exactly "couple months". And even Skylake is supposedly coming in Q3 so even it will be more like ~6 months.

Compsiox

Banned
Ehm...

I'm pretty sure Pascal is coming in late '15 or early '16, so it's not exactly "couple months". And even Skylake is supposedly coming in Q3 so even it will be more like ~6 months.

He also doesn't even want an overkill of a gaming PC.

Unstable

You need an optical drive to install the OEM windows 8.1.....
1. I took it out. See my edit. 2. You absolutely can install it without a optical drive. Just get the .iso from Microsoft.com install it on a flash drive and enter the key when it prompts you.

Compsiox

Banned
1. I took it out. See my edit. 2. You absolutely can. Just get the .iso from Microsoft.com install it on a flash drive and enter the key when it prompts you.

Okay but its nice to have a very cheap, $13 (equivalent to a nice sub from an Italian deli), Optical Drive just in case you ever need it.

Also buy removing Windows 8.1 you made the whole thing at least $100 cheaper so...yeah.

I tested this by setting the budget for the PC itself to $1,000 (leaving $500 over for monitor, keyboard, etc). Here are the results: http://choosemypc.net/build/?budget=1000&oc=false&options=os,od

-Non overclockable cpu (throwing away 20 percent free performance that any novice can unlock in a minute time)
-non k motherboard (won't enable overclocking even with an overclockable cpu
-stock cooler (imo not good, aftermarket coolers are cheap, vastly superior, quieter and let you overclock hard without adding noise or getting a hot cpu)
-questionable ram and power supply brands
-the hdd is good

That 4690k cpu and z97 mobo should be non negotiable imo, they are where the bang for buck and proper gaming performance meet.

edit; just follow unstabel's build to the letter if that is your budget (then add a monitor) , his build is perfect

The 16GB ram is optional, though ddr3 ram prices are going nowhere but up in the future... so if you 're ever going to get 16GB you might as well do it now.
(I'm so sad I didn't buy 8GB of 1.3volt samsung ram when they still made ram... it was so goddamn cheap back then too and now you can't even get 1.3v ram anymore)

Compsiox

Banned
-Non overclockable cpu (throwing away 20 percent free performance that any novice can unlock in a minute time)
-non k motherboard (won't enable overclocking even with an overclockable cpu
-stock cooler (imo not good, aftermarket coolers are cheap, vastly superior, quieter and let you overclock hard without adding noise or getting a hot cpu)
-questionable ram and power supply brands
-the hdd is good

That 4690k cpu and z97 mobo should be non negotiable imo, they are where the bang for buck and proper gaming performance meet.

edit; just follow unstabel's build to the letter if that is your budget (then add a monitor) , his build is perfect
I use the power supply and ram brands. They both work very well.

Unstable

Okay but its nice to have a very cheap, $13 (equivalent to a nice sub from an Italian deli), Optical Drive just in case you ever need it.

Also buy removing Windows 8.1 you made the whole thing at least $100 cheaper so...yeah.
Yes? Why would you spend the extra cash on something that you could get significantly cheaper?

Where can you buy it for less than $100 through nonshady means? I'm genuinely curious.

15 bucks could go elsewhere in the budget though like to a gpu version with a better cooler or a better cpu cooler or a more quiet case with more features, better cable managment etc)
but yeah if OP is intimidated by installing windows from a usb stick (I did it with windows 7 despite having a dvd writer in my pc, it's easy) he might as well buy a dvd player.

Compsiox

Banned
r/microsoftsoftwareswap is not at all "shady" they get cheaper keys by having a college email.

It's still coming from some guy that you have to depend on to send you the code after giving the money through paypal.

Okay I need get off GAF before I'm here forever. Ill reply to anything tomorrow.

It's still coming from some guy that you have to depend on to send you the code after giving the money through paypal.

Okay I need get off GAF before I'm here forever. Ill reply to anything tomorrow.

You could get scammed 6 times and still be cheaper off than buying a 100 dollar windows 8 key...(and you won't be scammed as you'll buy from someone who has buyer feedback)

Unstable

Hey it's cool man, no need to get upset. I totally understand taking a break from debating on the internet. At the end of the day though we're both trying to get this guy the best PC for his money.

Compsiox

Banned
Hey it's cool man, no need to get upset. I totally understand taking a break from debating on the internet. At the end of the day though we're both trying to get this guy the best PC for his money.

Yes yes. I'm not upset, I wanted to play BF:Hardline 2 hours ago but got distracted by GAF.

Neiteio

I really appreciate all the ongoing help. To clarify, I would like to have an optical drive, something that can read/write CDs and DVDs. But it seems those are cheap, so that shouldn't be hard to add, right?

DrRussian

I really appreciate all the ongoing help. To clarify, I would like to have an optical drive, something that can read/write CDs and DVDs. But it seems those are cheap, so that shouldn't be hard to add, right?
The one in the build I posted was $14.

Unstable

Not at all, something like This should do nicely.

Edit - I updated the previous build with an optical drive.

Nah, 15$ is all they cost.
Many people skip them now just to pinch a few bucks on the price as they don't need one (like how you eventually stopped buying a floppy drive )

FLAguy954

$2,000 is a high fucking budget. You'll have a beast.

Good start:

fN2PSHK.png

From the new PC thread.

Good list except the CPU should be a i7-5930K (six-core beast) and a compatible motherboard with dat DDR4 memory.

Neiteio

I'm thankful for all of the feedback here, but just want to give a special note of thanks to Unstable for the example builds.

In that $1,000 build (for the PC), Unstable listed this graphics card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB Video Card

Is there any website where I can punch in a graphics card and see examples of how different games perform using that graphics card?

Again, I apologize if I'm not asking the right questions. Not an expert by any means!

Unstable

I'm thankful for all of the feedback here, but just want to give a special note of thanks to Unstable for the example builds.

In that $1,000 build (for the PC), Unstable listed this graphics card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB Video Card

Is there any website where I can punch in a graphics card and see examples of how different games perform using that graphics card?

Again, I apologize if I'm not asking the right questions. Not an expert by any means!
You got it. http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1355

And some nice reviews to go along with it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eqz4tDM6Wl8

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8568/the-geforce-gtx-970-review-feat-evga

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/GTX_970_Gaming/

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia-geforce-gtx-980-970-maxwell,3941.html

Top Bottom