• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Those who went from LCD/LED monitors to OLED monitors, was the change worth it?

S0ULZB0URNE

Full array has shittier HDR than OLED. It's not even close to being as accurate as OLED. Maybe at first glance in a store you can't tell but there is a difference. Displays that use LED backlights cause blooming and until MicroLED comes out it'll not be as good as OLED.

TVs have millions of pixels and backlit tvs have thousands of LEDS so that means each LED is controlling the lighting for multiple pixels. Some pixels will be at accurate but pixels around it will get lit up when really shouldn't be. That's blooming.

OLED has control over each individual pixel so you could have 1 pixel at 100% brightness, the pixel right next to it at 0%, the next pixel at 75%, and the next pixel at 25%. That produces much better contrast so a better HDR image.

MicroLED will, like OLED, have individual pixel control because each pixel will have its own LED. And because it's not Organic (that's what O in OLED means) then it won't risk burn in.

If you want the best HDR then OLED is the way to go for now. I don't know when MicroLED is coming out. With OLED there is the risk of burn in but it has improved so much over the years that you basically have to go out of your way to try make it happen. In all the years I've used OLED screens I have yet to have any burn in. That said, I wouldn't feel comfortable using an OLED as my PC monitor.

smh-prince.gif

Yeah, I'm echoing what everyone else said. Bought a C9 back in 2019 and it still is crisp and bright as ever. And not a hint of burn in. C9 is when the pixel refresh really got better.
I have the same experience. I bought the C9 in April 2019. I’ve played probably 2000 hours of games, plus another thousand of movies/shows. Hell, 1000 hours of that is Apex Legends on PS4. There is absolutely no hint of burn-in, even when I look for it. I have performed zero maintenance on this thing. I just use it normally and turn it off when I am done.

I bought a smaller C1 to use as a secondary TV. I would absolutely buy an OLED for my PC, but I really only play Civilization 5 on it these days, so not worth the investment.

King Dazzar

Other way around for me, I went from OLED back to LCD. I was chasing better HDR impact after 6 years with WOLED's and as many panels. I also wanted to go bigger size too. And whilst I tried an 83" WOLED initially the age old panel uniformity issues made it an instant return unfortunately.

The 85" Z9J has brilliant detail with the 8k upscale, 3k nit peak luminance on 2% to 5% window sizes, amazing APL and no baby sitting care concerns. Its game mode is excellent too and with games where by you can set HDR to make use of all the luminace, HDR impact is way beyond what any emissive panel can do at this time. It also has pristine uniformity with no banding or DSE at all. However no TV is perfect and its not as good with VRR in terms of motion.

I do still love the emissive beauty too though and still have a 2019 WOLED. I'm also keeping an eye on the QD-OLED's and viewed a 77" S95C a couple of days ago - instantly surpassing all other pervious emissive panels I've viewed, including the A95K from last year and the A90J too which I've always loved. Still waiting for the sizes to get into 83"+ though.

Personally I don't see any advantage of being a fanboi of any particular tech. They all have their pros and cons for different usage cases and everyone has different priorities and sensitivities to what they need from a TV. 😎

Last edited:
HDR brightness was the first thing that I missed going from LED to OLED. However there is no way I could go back to LED full-array halos of light around bright objects in dark scenes, or the relatively awful motion clarity.

Yes. Went from a 40inch 2005 1080p LCD samsung to 2020 55inch LG CX OLED 4K. Very happy with this purchase. Games far more gorgeous than they ever did.

I bought a E8 back in 2018. The burn in was crazy bad. Bought second OLED TV and the screen cracked right down the middle. I am done with OLED. I use a BenQ 4k HDR projector made for the PS5 now. Love it, so much better than OLED.

Jigga117

Yes won’t go back to anything else. Waiting until next year for my house to be built to upgrade from C9 55 and 77in

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Same here.
I didn't want to switch back and forth between monitors for work and media consumption, and since OLED is still a big no-no for productive work with loads of static imagery Mini-LED seemed like the next best thing, Samsung Neo G9 in my case.
You will not burn old running productivity content with sdr at 50% oled brightness which is about 120 nits so perfect for sdr. That’s what I use for last 6k hours and the screen is brand new.
Hdr games I play at max hdr settings and also no issues.

You will be good for at least 3-4 years minimum of you don’t run sdr content in hdr max brightness container. Probably more

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
HDR brightness was the first thing that I missed going from LED to OLED. However there is no way I could go back to LED full-array halos of light around bright objects in dark scenes, or the relatively awful motion clarity.

The good news is modern high end OLEDs are brighter than 99% of LED displays out there.

Schmendrick

You will not burn old running productivity content with sdr at 50% oled brightness which is about 120 nits so perfect for sdr. That’s what I use for last 6k hours and the screen is brand new.
Hdr games I play at max hdr settings and also no issues.

You will be good for at least 3-4 years minimum of you don’t run sdr content in hdr max brightness container. Probably more

My offices are bright sunlit rooms. I have to put any OLED screen to the absolute max just to have a semi acceptable picture.
That's simply not feasible at all.
OLED's sustained FSB still absolutely sucks compared to high end led. I tried it with a C2 and an Alienware Qd-oled and both times it was a terrible experience the moment I dared to work with something without a full dark mode option.
OLEDs have their place in home cinemas or other darker environments, but they still suck the moment you let the sun in or open an excel sheet.

Last edited:

Rickyiez

Of course .. the jump to OLED is kinda like jumping to SSD , something that you will never look back anymore after jumping .

The black level , zero IPS light bleed , zero blooming , pixel response time , colors and so on . What an experience .

I think it would really help to have some context with some of these posts. Like what tv were you using before you switched? If you were using an old tv, and switched to something new and high-end, it's going to look amazing regardless of whether you chose OLED or LED. Blooming is not nearly as big of a problem on full array LED tv's like it used to be, assuming you bought a high-end TV. If you go out and buy a lower model Samsung LED simply because it says Samsung then you're going to be disappointed. Because the brand name alone of Samsung or LG doesn't guaranetee quality unless you are willing to spend money on the higher models. That being said, you can buy a "cheaper" OLED (I put cheaper in quotes since all OLEDs are expensive imo) and are still going to get great contrast no matter how budget the OLED is. For example, Vizio's OLED from 2020 is probably what most would consider a lower end OLED and it still looks fantastic due to the contrast. If you skimp on an LED tv, however, you only have yourself to blame. For me personally, I needed a TV that is brighter since my tv is surrounded by windows and in the afternoon/evening i'm looking directly into the sun lol. And at the time, it was hands down the best deal you could find on a 75" inch tv that still had a great picture. Anyway, I think if you went with the top model LED tv's from Samsung, Hisense, or Sony, most people wouldn't be disappointed. Final disclaimer: if I could afford it, and my wife wouldn't kill me for doing it, I'd be buying a 77"+ size OLED tv lol.

Mythoclast

Initially bought one of those “next-gen proof” Sony X900H that released with the PS5 that supposedly was able to handle 4K120, turned out to be a mess with a blurry image. Lost trust in Sony and 2 years later bought an LG C2 on Black Friday. No regrets and don’t intend to go back to LED after experiencing true blacks. If you’re tight on budget and you’re a gaming enthusiast I would still recommend going for an OLED, but make sure to buy on Black Friday for a deep discount. They’re still too expensive to buy for MSRP.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
My offices are bright sunlit rooms. I have to put any OLED screen to the absolute max just to have a semi acceptable picture.
That's simply not feasible at all.
OLED's sustained FSB still absolutely sucks compared to high end led. I tried it with a C2 and an Alienware Qd-oled and both times it was a terrible experience the moment I dared to work with something without a full dark mode option.
OLEDs have their place in home cinemas or other darker environments, but they still suck the moment you let the sun in or open an excel sheet.
No content is made to be consumed in bright lit room. Oled or led doesn’t change that.
You will still see 120nits screen in a day room. I am using my oled during the day too lol.

Just close the fkn blinds to avoid direct sun hitting the screen. What the hell are you doing.

Or just separate work from gaming and just get 100$ sell for work

Schmendrick

No content is made to be consumed in bright lit room. Oled or led doesn’t change that.
You will still see 120nits screen in a day room. I am using my oled during the day too lol.

Just close the fkn blinds to avoid direct sun hitting the screen. What the hell are you doing.

Or just separate work from gaming and just get 100$ sell for work
I don't live in a cave and I don't want to simulate living in a cave just to make up for the shortcomings of a specific display tech, especially not if the alternatives do not have the issue.

FSB is the biggest weakness of OLED, that is a simple technological fact, there is no debating that.

Last edited:

Bojji

I think it would really help to have some context with some of these posts. Like what tv were you using before you switched? If you were using an old tv, and switched to something new and high-end, it's going to look amazing regardless of whether you chose OLED or LED. Blooming is not nearly as big of a problem on full array LED tv's like it used to be, assuming you bought a high-end TV. If you go out and buy a lower model Samsung LED simply because it says Samsung then you're going to be disappointed. Because the brand name alone of Samsung or LG doesn't guaranetee quality unless you are willing to spend money on the higher models. That being said, you can buy a "cheaper" OLED (I put cheaper in quotes since all OLEDs are expensive imo) and are still going to get great contrast no matter how budget the OLED is. For example, Vizio's OLED from 2020 is probably what most would consider a lower end OLED and it still looks fantastic due to the contrast. If you skimp on an LED tv, however, you only have yourself to blame. For me personally, I needed a TV that is brighter since my tv is surrounded by windows and in the afternoon/evening i'm looking directly into the sun lol. And at the time, it was hands down the best deal you could find on a 75" inch tv that still had a great picture. Anyway, I think if you went with the top model LED tv's from Samsung, Hisense, or Sony, most people wouldn't be disappointed. Final disclaimer: if I could afford it, and my wife wouldn't kill me for doing it, I'd be buying a 77"+ size OLED tv lol.

When I was buying tv only most expensive LCD tvs had tolerable image quality and they were priced only slighty lower than OLED. To me it didn't make any sense to choose LCD, even the best panels are worse than OLEDs in everything but brightness.

I don't live in a cave and I don't want to simulate living in a cave just to make up for the shortcomings of a specific display tech, especially not if the alternatives do not have the issue.

FSB is the biggest weakness of OLED, that is a simple technological fact, there is no debating that.

With sunlight shooting into your screen you will never get correct picture quality no matter how many thousands nits you have.

Schmendrick

With sunlight shooting into your screen you will never get correct picture quality no matter how many thousands nits you have.
"Sunlit room" doesn`t mean direct sunlight to the screen....
You don`t need to go that far for OLED to run out of nits. Stop trying to discuss away general shortcomings of a tech by constructing nonsensical examples.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
You don`t need to go that far for OLED to run out of nits. Stop trying to discuss away general shortcomings of a tech by constructing nonsensical examples.
120nits is polenty enough for sunlit room without direct sunlight on the screen

Last edited:

Bojji

I can't fully darken my room (sadly) during the day but I can block direct sunlight, what OLED is capable seem enough to see everything (except completely dark scenes maybe) in this conditions.

People had flat tvs for more than 20 years now and only recently they got very bright, most of the time panels very dimmer or as bright as most OLEDs (SDR). I don't remember that many complaints about dim picture.

Schmendrick

I can't fully darken my room (sadly) during the day but I can block direct sunlight, what OLED is capable seem enough to see everything (except completely dark scenes maybe) in this conditions.

People had flat tvs for more than 20 years now and only recently they got very bright, most of the time panels very dimmer or as bright as most OLEDs (SDR). I don't remember that many complaints about dim picture.
We´re not talking about old tv tech. This is about current high end monitors....
If you don`t know how the color white looks maybe or if the words "vibrant" and "dull" are switched in your dictionary.....
I don`t understand why you are even discussing this? Sustained FSB is a weakpoint of OLED tech (besides burn in ofc) and that is not a matter of opinion, not even the wildest PR talk dares to claim otherwise.
If you are ok with a screen that appears dim 90% of the day that`s your personal thing.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
We´re not talking about old tv tech. This is about high end monitors....

If you don`t know how the color white looks maybe or if the words "vibrant" and "dull" are switched in your dictionary.....
I don`t understand why you are even discussing this? Sustained FSB is a weakpoint of OLED tech (besides burn in ofc) and that is not a matter of opinion, not even the wildest PR talk dares to claim otherwise.
If you are ok with a screen that appears dim 90% of the day that`s your personal thing.
You work as graphic designer or are you just this bitchy naturally?

Schmendrick

You work as graphic designer or are you just this bitchy naturally?
Are you just so mentally challenged that you`re not able to comprehend facts so simple that they can even be expressed in primitive number comparisons or are you just such an ego driven maniac that you simply can't be wrong, all technological facts be damned?

Imagine calling someone demanding a good accurate picture in standard lighting conditions from a 1k plus high end device "bitchy".
Doesn't get much more retarded than that, seriously.... Well unless you started lauding Forspoken for its graphics, but no one would be that stupid, right?
Will Ferrell Lol GIF by NBA

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Are you just so mentally challenged that you`re not able to comprehend facts so simple that they can even be expressed in primitive number comparisons or are you just such an ego driven maniac that you simply can't be wrong, all technological facts be damned?

Imagine calling someone demanding a good accurate picture in standard lighting conditions from a 1k plus high end device "bitchy".
Doesn't get much more retarded than that, seriously.... Well unless you started lauding Forspoken for its graphics, but no one would be that stupid, right?
Will Ferrell Lol GIF by NBA
You are delusional. It is a fantastic screen. If it doesn't meet your demands because you are watching your tv under a bright sun outside, next to the swimming pool, then there is nothing that can help you lol.

Schmendrick

You are delusional. It is a fantastic screen. If it doesn't meet your demands because you are watching your tv under a bright sun outside, next to the swimming pool, then there is nothing that can help you lol.
you are seemingly unwilling to simply accept that different technologies have different strengths and weaknesses.
OLED is not an allrounder which can literally be read directly in the specs.....

Aside from childish hyperbole you have nothing to say.
And btw this has been about monitors, not TVs. (my home cinema is OLED based)....but hey Rofif as usual dunno why I haven`t put you on ignore, yet. At least you didn`t claim "my dad likes it" as an argument this time..........
Awkward Cardi B GIF by Saturday Night Live

Last edited:

nikos

I'm still waiting for a good 21:9 ultrawide OLED monitor before making the switch.

They're currently all 3440x1440, which is too low of a resolution, at either 34", which is too small, or 45", which is kind of large and results in horrible PPI.

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

I'm still waiting for a good 21:9 ultrawide OLED monitor before making the switch.

They're currently all 3440x1440, which is too low of a resolution, at either 34", which is too small, or 45", which is kind of large and results in horrible PPI.
Does Samsung's G95SC DQHD 240 Hz 32:9(5120x1440) ultrawide OLED monitor not cut it?

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
you are seemingly too stupid to simply accept that different technologies have different strengths and weaknesses.
OLED is not an allrounder which can literally be read directly in the specs.....

Aside from childish hyperbole you have nothing to say.
And btw this has been about monitors, not TVs. (my home cinema is OLED based)....but hey Rofif as usual dunno why I haven`t put you on ignore, yet. At least you didn`t claim "my dad likes it" as an argument this time..........
Awkward Cardi B GIF by Saturday Night Live
I need more gifs. I think you need to laugh at me with more gifs for sure.
can't see the screen is bs. You can as you've said, you are not in direct sunlight.

Besides, you are the one considering the screen for work while at the same time you are perfectly aware of it's drawbacks. so what gives...
Nevermind. We can agree to disagree

nikos

Does Samsung's G95SC DQHD 240 Hz 32:9(5120x1440) ultrawide OLED monitor not cut it?

It looks really nice but I have a 49" 32:9 that has migrated over to my sim racing rig. It was a bit much for the desk. I currently have a 38" AW3821DW on my desk and think it's the perfect size.

Schmendrick

can't see the screen is bs.
I never said that. Stop making things up...
I said the picture quality in a bright room sucks compared to high end LEDs due to low FSB which is an inherent problem of all OLEDs.
Besides, you are the one considering the screen for work while at the same time you are perfectly aware of it's drawbacks. so what gives...
Wait, so suddenly there actually are drawbacks? 2 replies ago OLEDs were infallible.....
Nevermind. We can agree to disagree
agree to disagree on tech specs you can measure and verify... Yeah, that is not how reality works.
Guess you're one of those feelings > facts people..

Last edited:
I'm still using my 55" LG E8 OLED and it's amazing. I use it in a dark basement but have it set to maximum brightness and it hasn't let me down yet.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I never said that. Stop making things up...
I said the picture quality in a bright room sucks compared to high end LEDs due to low FSB which is an inherent problem of all OLEDs.

Wait, so suddenly there actually are drawbacks? 2 replies ago OLEDs were infallible.....

agree to disagree on tech specs you can measure and verify... Yeah, that is not how reality works.
Guess you're one of those feelings > facts people..
We were all using SDR monitors at 100 nits for last 20 years. it was and is an sdr standard. All reviews, everyone always set brightness to 100 nits.
And oled tvs easily go up to 150 nits in sdr no problem. Even 200 in some smaller window. I use only 50% brightness on mine in sdr.
So there is nothing wrong here. HDR is a different discussion and it's very bright.
Even if you run it with super right room, I don't see how 100+ nits is bad. Unless you do graphics work, then calibrated ips is advised anyway and you should be looking at nec or eizo. Not a tv.

The only drawback possible is burn out but 6k hours here and I dont see it

Schmendrick

Even if you run it with super right room, I don't see how 100+ nits is bad. Unless you do graphics work, then calibrated ips is advised anyway and you should be looking at nec or eizo. Not a tv.
how did you get the impression that I am looking at a "tv" ? I tried both a classic WOLED TV (C2) and a state of the art QD-OLED monitor (Alienware) before I switched to Mini-LED (Samsung Neo G9).
I tried it with a C2 and an Alienware Qd-oled and both times it was a terrible experience the moment I dared to work with something without a full dark mode option.
Also as said before, I wanted an allrounder, a jack of all trades, that can deliver in bright and dark environments and do both media/gaming and productivity because I don`t want to bother switching monitors. The Neo G9 or rather Mini-LED ist the best compromise I found.
Until Micro LED finally arrives at consumer price level at least.

Last edited:
thread is bait, but so what.

oled is obviously the best.
LCD local dimming is inaccurate, and LCDs cant produce accurate blacks to begin with.

and forget monitors, just use a big ass tv.

Luipadre

Just ordered the 27 LG OLED monitor. It was always hard going back to my IPS monitor after i used my C9, but not anymore!

Poppyseed

I had an LG C7 OLED I used for general content consumption and gaming. Because of PUBG I burned in the dot on the map icon that represents your character within a year. Wasn’t thrilled. Upgraded to the CX a few years later and don’t play PUBG anymore on it. OLED is amazing but I’d worry every day if I had the taskbar visible at all times or left a static image to etc etc.

Anyway, went with the LG 32GQ950-B LCD for my main office desk and for general gaming and it’s fantastic. Just ordered a second one after having this not quite a year now.

OLED is amazing, I’ll never not have one for general media consumption. For a desk setup, no chance.

I went from a Qled to an OLED and the difference for modern 3d games wasn't that big but the difference in retro/2D was staggering. The motion clarity is game changing and the closest we've gotten to a CRT

Robbinhood

Banned
You know its funny, I have a C9 since 2019, its great I love it, but I used to have it in a basement and now when I moved its in a brightly lit living room. It sucks playing it in the day tbh.

I'm in a hotel for a week and brought my PS5 and there's this random LG LED tv here, and while sunlight isn't hitting it directly, the room is still brightly lit and I can see almost all the details in shadows and dark environments in FF16. The sharpness is laughably high and I can't change it but its actually making up for the FSR1.0 in the game lol and providing lots of texture detail. Its been kinda...fun playing on this thing.

I definitely want to get a high end LED for my living room now. The bright hdr would be a bonus. Also I want quantum dot.

I believe this hotel tv is a VA panel since contrast is actually decent, I recently bought an IPS desktop monitor cause I've had back luck with black smear VA panels but I don't see any of that here. I wish I could find out the model number of this hotel tv. I am now considering a VA monitor at home. The samsung ones are so great but these fucks self sabotage themselves with their ridiculous 1000R curved screens. Why.gif. It would be the perfect monitor.

Luipadre

After I typed this out I was wondering if it was you I already said all that to :)

You will love this new monitor, enjoy

I don't know where you are located but was at my local Best Buy yesterday and saw an open box buy excellent condition at my store for $750ish pretty decent savings
The monitor came today. I was a bit disappointed at first, because the grey uniformity was really bad. Vertical lines all over the screen and i had 3 cleary visible lines on the left side and i could see 1 line even on non grey content. Also the left side was a bit darker on grey scenes. I updated the firmware (it took 2h lol) and did a manual image cleaning. After that, all issues disappeared. No more vertical lines or darker shade on the left side, it looks awesome now. The monitor is truly something. Both SDR and HDR looks amazing. My IPS monitor now looks so bad in comparison next to this, but i'll keep it for web browsing and static content.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
The monitor came today. I was a bit disappointed at first, because the grey uniformity was really bad. Vertical lines all over the screen and i had 3 cleary visible lines on the left side and i could see 1 line even on non grey content. Also the left side was a bit darker on grey scenes. I updated the firmware (it took 2h lol) and did a manual image cleaning. After that, all issues disappeared. No more vertical lines or darker shade on the left side, it looks awesome now. The monitor is truly something. Both SDR and HDR looks amazing. My IPS monitor now looks so bad in comparison next to this, but i'll keep it for web browsing and static content.
Glad the firmware and the cleaning fixed it and yeah that update does take awhile :)

Luipadre

Glad the firmware and the cleaning fixed it and yeah that update does take awhile :)

I knew OLED has some banding issues out of the box and it will go away in time, but im really glad the first image cleaner fixed it. It looked pretty bad before it. I find the brightness great and the screen coating issue was really overblown lol.

I looked at the LG 45" OLED today. Will be picking it up soon, looks amazing!

Did you pick this up in the end? I've just ordered it to replace my Alienware AW3821DW
It was a nice screen but the IPS glow was just too much to make it usable, so I'm hoping the OLED will solve that issue.

Billbofet

I just in the last couple months went from LCD to OLED and overall it's fine. I think it is hyped a bit and LCD is getting closer. I do find gaming to be the biggest jump in wow for me and will occasionally see something that just was not possible on my prior set.
I am loving it and don't mean to diminish OLED - it's just I was expecting a much more profound leap. For gaming, there is nothing better, for movies and TV it's been incremental - at least to me.
No regrets at all, though. Loving my new LG - aside from the wiimote-ass remote and awful ui.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Did you pick this up in the end? I've just ordered it to replace my Alienware AW3821DW
It was a nice screen but the IPS glow was just too much to make it usable, so I'm hoping the OLED will solve that issue.
You won’t have any glow with that monitor in fact when the screen is on a black background you can’t tell it’s on.

You will love this display, I love mine even if it’s a little dim at times

Kenpachii

Hows the C2 with 1080p from a bit of a view distance? I am kinda looking for a better screen then my led tv that's 8 years old and kinda shit.

Top Bottom