• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Those who went from LCD/LED monitors to OLED monitors, was the change worth it?

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Hows the C2 with 1080p from a bit of a view distance? I am kinda looking for a better screen then my led tv that's 8 years old and kinda shit.
Perfectly fine.
You can use upscaling anyway. So even if you dont have power for 4k, you can run dlss or fsr.

Imtjnotu

i went from a samsung 34 inch LCD to my 48" C2.

worth it. i just keep the brightness down on my PC input to around 30 to avoid burn in. and when photo editing or video editing i bring it back up to 100 for less than an hour

Kenpachii

Yeah it's amazing.
I got 48" c1 but seeing how cheap c2 is now, is tempting to ugprade...

Honestly i remember you in a topic i made or joined at some point when i bought mine ultrawide monitor and u got the c1 i believe. I should just have bought that dam c1, always regretted not doing it.

Selling of my entire PC atm, will fund for about 80% of that c2, and as the c1 and c2 are close will get it. This current LED TV i got where my new laptop is hooked on, is absolute garbo haha. So that TV will do wonderful.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Honestly i remember you in a topic i made or joined at some point when i bought mine ultrawide monitor and u got the c1 i believe. I should just have bought that dam c1, always regretted not doing it.

Selling of my entire PC atm, will fund for about 80% of that c2, and as the c1 and c2 are close will get it. This current LED TV i got where my new laptop is hooked on, is absolute garbo haha. So that TV will do wonderful.
Some stuff cannot be told and you must learn on your own and try stuff yourself !
C2 are cheap right now as they are replaced by c3

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Oh dam when is the c3 coming out
Right now mostly out in most regions.
So t's the last moment to grab relatively cheap c2.

Ima keeping an eye out for c3 but there is no reason really. Barely any changes.
I am considering 42" but I would probably get 48" again

Kenpachii

Right now mostly out in most regions.
So t's the last moment to grab relatively cheap c2.

Ima keeping an eye out for c3 but there is no reason really. Barely any changes.
I am considering 42" but I would probably get 48" again

Well depends how you going to use it right. I will put mine on a wall now, i sit like 2 meters away from it. Got a current LED 48, so don't mind going for a 48 oled this time maybe even bigger 55. But to afraid i sit to close for that and the C2 here was going for 950 or something. So that sounds doable 55 inch is 1300 or something, bit to expensive.

Bojji

Yeah it's amazing.
I got 48" c1 but seeing how cheap c2 is now, is tempting to ugprade...

It's not really upgrade, slighty more brightness (but only in bigger models) and removed 120Hz BFI. I don't think there is any good reason to change C1 to C2 (or C3 lol).

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Going LED but curved update on my gaming setup:

SAMSUNG 24"1080p Curved LED Monitor 60Hz - LC24F392FHNXZA​

Plays great, incomplete with no speakers but makes gaming look so much better.

Filben

Yes, because every other tech has comprises I can't stand. TN is ultra fast, no smearing/ghosting, but bad contrast, shit black levels and bad viewing angles*. VA has good contrast, also shit viewing angles*, have smearing/ghosting no matter how much Hz. IPS has good viewing angles, but bad black levels and contrasts.

OLED's only down side is that's usually not too bright and it could be a problem in very bright environments while displaying dark content. Everything else is just perfect: fast response time, perfect contrast and black levels, superb viewing angles, excellent colours.

I've tested like ten monitors over the course of four years, all in different sizes, panel type/tech. There was always something I couldn't "unsee" and it always bothered me.

* on a big monitor the viewing angle is so narrow that you already get shifts in colours and brightness at the edges of the screen. So black levels became grey even on a VA panel at the edges of the monitor.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Yes, because every other tech has comprises I can't stand. TN is ultra fast, no smearing/ghosting, but bad contrast, shit black levels and bad viewing angles*. VA has good contrast, also shit viewing angles*, have smearing/ghosting no matter how much Hz. IPS has good viewing angles, but bad black levels and contrasts.

OLED's only down side is that's usually not too bright and it could be a problem in very bright environments while displaying dark content. Everything else is just perfect: fast response time, perfect contrast and black levels, superb viewing angles, excellent colours.

I've tested like ten monitors over the course of four years, all in different sizes, panel type/tech. There was always something I couldn't "unsee" and it always bothered me.

* on a big monitor the viewing angle is so narrow that you already get shifts in colours and brightness at the edges of the screen. So black levels became grey even on a VA panel at the edges of the monitor.
In never understood the brightness complaint from users.
Let's say the display does 10k nits. But if you use it during the day and daylight falls in through your window, the dark scene of 50 nits (shadow areas for example) will be clipped ANYWAY.
The super bright display would only make the whole image visible in daylight.... if you destroyed the whole image and raised the whole range to 10k nits in sdr. Like flat... but that's idiotic.

And while 800-1000nits (typical OLED peak) might not sound like enough because outside is 5k grass, 30k, sunny spot etc.... people tend to forget that your eyes adapt.
Once you spend few minutes inside your room, you wouldn't want 30k screen imitation a daylight window in front of your face.
That brings me to the fact that ANY display and ESEPCIALLY HDR OLED, should be used for critical media consumption (consumption where quality matters to you) in a shaded room or at night.
Just so you don't loose any details of areas shaded 50 nits, 300 nits and the whole range.... and at that point, you are used to the image so much and your eyes adapted, that 800 nits are SEARING YOUR EYEBALLS. In fact, I would hate for displays to be any brighter than.... maybe 1500 nits and that's pushing it.
And in SDR, the whole screen goes up to 150nits on worst oleds and that's 50 nits more than is recommended for sdr spec.... so it's great.

And here is an example of me playing uncharted 4 with HDR in the middle of the night. Dynamic tone mapping on lg c1. Fkn hell:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
In never understood the brightness complaint from users.
Let's say the display does 10k nits. But if you use it during the day and daylight falls in through your window, the dark scene of 50 nits (shadow areas for example) will be clipped ANYWAY.
The super bright display would only make the whole image visible in daylight.... if you destroyed the whole image and raised the whole range to 10k nits in sdr. Like flat... but that's idiotic.

And while 800-1000nits (typical OLED peak) might not sound like enough because outside is 5k grass, 30k, sunny spot etc.... people tend to forget that your eyes adapt.
Once you spend few minutes inside your room, you wouldn't want 30k screen imitation a daylight window in front of your face.
That brings me to the fact that ANY display and ESEPCIALLY HDR OLED, should be used for critical media consumption (consumption where quality matters to you) in a shaded room or at night.
Just so you don't loose any details of areas shaded 50 nits, 300 nits and the whole range.... and at that point, you are used to the image so much and your eyes adapted, that 800 nits are SEARING YOUR EYEBALLS. In fact, I would hate for displays to be any brighter than.... maybe 1500 nits and that's pushing it.
And in SDR, the whole screen goes up to 150nits on worst oleds and that's 50 nits more than is recommended for sdr spec.... so it's great.

And here is an example of me playing uncharted 4 with HDR in the middle of the night. Dynamic tone mapping on lg c1. Fkn hell:
Its great it works for you playing in the middle of the night but there are videos out there explaining why a lot of the older OLED panels simply aren't bright enough for true HDR though many of the newer OLED monitors are hitting 1k nits

i went from a samsung 34 inch LCD to my 48" C2.

worth it. i just keep the brightness down on my PC input to around 30 to avoid burn in. and when photo editing or video editing i bring it back up to 100 for less than an hour
I have everything turned off as far a anti burn in measures go for my 55 C1 and 42 inch C2 in the normal menu's and in the service menu. Brightness is at 60 on the C1 and 80 on the C2 for sdr (gives the same level of brightness on both) and 100 for HDR. C1 is over a year old. Not a hint of burn in. 30 is fairly low for brightness, but if it keeps you from worrying and your fine with it... I don't think there is a need to go so low on brightness.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I have everything turned off as far a anti burn in measures go for my 55 C1 and 42 inch C2 in the normal menu's and in the service menu. Brightness is at 60 on the C1 and 80 on the C2 for sdr (gives the same level of brightness on both) and 100 for HDR. C1 is over a year old. Not a hint of burn in. 30 is fairly low for brightness, but if it keeps you from worrying and your fine with it... I don't think there is a need to go so low on brightness.
I have 7k hours on my c1. TPC and GSR turned off in service menu. yeah, no signs of burn in at all. It's good

Imtjnotu

It's only 30 when on my desktop or browsing the internet. It's not bad for my office setting.

Well once you go OLED you‘ll probably never go back to another tech. When I bought my last LCD, a very good Samsung 75“, I instantly knew this picture quality can‘t be the last and soon I‘ll have to upgrade again. I‘ve never had this thought when I saw the replacement of the LCD, a 77“ OLED. The picture quality just can‘t get so much better that another investment of around 3000€ will be justified. I‘ll keep it till it breaks, I‘d have never said that about any TV I had before, and after 3 years of owning it I‘d still say the same.

I wouldn't go OLED for my PC, but until micro LED or something else can supplant OLED tech that's all I'll use for my big screen in the living room, and handheld devices.

Kenpachii

Well got my LG C2 installed yesterday, the dam brightness was terrible tho, but figured out it was the energy settings that did this. With that disabled.

Men i missed Gsync, no tearing is just godly, screen reacts fast and does what it needs to do. The colors are great. So pretty happy with it so far.

Polelock

Been using a 42" LG C3 and its amazing. Couch gaming I use a 65" Samsung S90C, I prefer the LG personally, the Samsung is good but I feel like the colors are a bit more saturated than they should be.

Polelock

For me mini led and oled are both the bees knees. I have a mini led ultra wide for my gaming monitor and an oled tv. My brother is the opposite. Both look great and each out does the other in something.
I got an Acer Nitro XV275 P3. I much prefer my OLED over it.

UnrealEck

I can't quantify how much better it is or what your expectations are but the blacks are fully black/infinite and so you get extremely good contrast. You also get very very good viewing angles whereas with some LCDs (might not be a huge issue these days) some viewing angles warp the colour/contrast just from moving a little off centre. Oh and pixel response is very quick on an OLED so you get very very low latency, though it's not really a noticeable thing these days regardless of panel type.
But to say simply - if you want the best essentially just get a good OLED.
(I use an LG OLED TV and an Alienware OLED monitor both primarily for PC)

Last edited:

Quasicat

I picked up an OLED and returned it due to the large amount of natural lighting in my house during the day. I took it back to Best Buy and they suggested an LG QNED. The backlight zones are so small that at night the screen gets as dark as an OLED, but during the day it’s bright enough for my living room. It was enough of a difference, that my wife, who doesn’t watch TV often commented on how bright and colorful the screen is while we were watching How to Train Your Dragon.

Is nobody going to mention how LCDs also suffer from pixel crawl or also known as pixel inversion artifacts?

I just returned 3 (yes 3) monitors because they all had vertical lines at lower refresh rates (such as 60Hz which most PS5 games still operate at).

I could be wrong but I've never seen an OLED with these artifacts before, but I have seen them on TN, VA and IPS and they typically show up more on high refresh monitors vs standard 60Hz monitors.

Anyways, the burn-in scares me though. I hate thinking about my screen basically being a ticking time bomb that will just naturally wear out after a while.

I have a 4K 60Hz IPS that looks incredibly beautiful and it still looks brand new with no image retention to be found.

my OLED brightness is basically maxed for all content.
lots of mixed use: consoles, youtube app, pc desktop and games.
over 3 years old, no burn-in.

not as bright as id like during the day with the windows/blinds open, and some content even in a dark room isnt bright enough, but otherwise excellent.
for me, LCD has too many flaws regardless of bright/dark room.

Last edited:

Bry0

I used to use my cx with both my consoles and pc but recently switched to a 32 inch miniled on my pc. There are tradeoffs but I like both for different reasons. I don’t think I’d want to use a standard backlight non-hdr screen for my main pc screen though. Feels like I’m just missing too much.

Last edited:
Top Bottom