• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hi-Fi Rush Was a "Break Out Hit" For Xbox, Says Aaron Greenberg

bender

What time is it?
Jeff "Industry Insider" Grubb

tumblr_nm7yrbh10H1rrkahjo3_540.gif

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Usually I'd say "there it is" .gif

Buuuuut... Aaron Greenberg hahaha you can't trust him as far as you can throw him... and he's not a small boy

Aaron Greenberg is about as trustworthy as that Colt Eastwood guy

greenberg is a liar clown 🤡

I believe you. The "60fps standard" guy.

kppa.png

If not just someone but Greenberg saying this then it definitely bombed.

So wheres the numbers?

Oh right...

GAF after an off-the-cuff comment in the middle of a 2 hour long podcast from someone who's been known to get details wrong on the regular:

Believe Democratic Party GIF by The Democrats

GAF after the report is refuted by an actual VP that works for Microsoft:

You Lie Harry Potter GIF by Sky

Last edited:

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Eh.....I don't like Greenberg, but if a corporate executive directly refutes unsubstantiated rumors from a well-known journalist then I'm inclined to believe that executive.

Come on guys. He didn't "directly refute" anything. Did people actually listen to what this GRUBB fellow said about HFR: "it [HFR] didn't make the money it needed to make." Nothing in this GREENBERG comment addresses that comment unless you read sales performance into "key measurements and expectations." Like AG's comments are exactly the kind of executive speak folks say they cringe at, but it's now accepted as "Well there it is."

Chukhopops

Put it on PS....feels like a PS game anyway.

It would probably sell like crazy. They would get their "user engagement" from Gamepass players and they would "get dat MONEY" from PS players.
Or it wouldn't....because PS players would see this as a "ewww why would I pay for a game that's free on gamepass...gross".

Just test the waters.

Do the same thing they are going to do with CoD. They need PS players for CoD to be successful, just start doing that now.

Fuck...just start selling software...forget about your console.
Stop the port begging.

Dr_Ifto

I dont see why Greenberg would lie. If they had expectations, they would have marketed it and not shadowdropped it. I think it did well, word of mouth was great, and im not in the xbox circle of influence and people were talking about it enough for me to hear about it a lot.

Topher

Gold Member
Come on guys. He didn't "directly refute" anything. Did people actually listen to what this GRUBB fellow said about HFR: "it [HFR] didn't make the money it needed to make." Nothing in this GREENBERG comment addresses that comment unless you read sales performance into "key measurements and expectations." Like AG's comments are exactly the kind of executive speak folks say they cringe at, but it's now accepted as "Well there it is."

"Hi-Fi RUSH was a break out hit for us and our players in ALL key measurements and expectations. "

Yes, I'm reading "all key measurements and expectations" as including sales performance and that directly refutes Grubb.

GAF after the report is refuted by an actual VP that works for Microsoft:
Refuted requires giving actual numbers, not meaningless vague statements like "trust me, the numbers are so great that we can't even share them".

Especially, coming from Greenberg who plays the role of Internet Xbox fanboy better than VP of anything and has been publicly contradicting himself for the last 10-15 years.

If you believe the public should know the success or lack of success of your software or hardware, share the numbers. But, refusing to do that while saying things are selling "well", is just hoping for your audience to be gullible.

Last edited:

vj27

Banned
Honestly as long as they make a hi fi rush 2 idc. I wanna see them do different genres, a rap sequel would be fucking sick. Like if DJ hero and devil may cry had a baby sick. Then they could do a dubstep one, I hate dubstep but as far as Rhythm games go it has its place. Could make it like an anthology series of different music genres, that’d be so cool.

But then idk because licensing is a bitch, surprised they even got the songs they managed to get the first time around.

BbMajor7th

I don't trust either of them, but if you're lurking in here, Greenberg, this game deserved way better marketing and promotion and MS should feel bad.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
Grubb already started backtracking from his b.s. statement...

As expected. Ya'll really shouldn't blindly believe everything you hear on the internet. Grubb is a clout chaser who likely has some sources who tell him stuff and no ethical restraints in spoiling game announcements for everyone, but this doesn't mean he knows squat about high-level analysis of sales and performance of games. That's stuff executives would know, and you can bet executives know what an NDA is and don't go blabber to a podcaster who is bound to tell everyone everything he hears.

Last edited:

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
Stop the port begging.
Lul....

I have an actual copy of the game I bought on Steam (I am helping!!!!) and three copies installed on the various xbox consoles around the house.

Not all of us game on a 8 year old pc and an xbox one..... (look I just made stupid assumptions like you did)

Honestly as long as they make a hi fi rush 2 idc. I wanna see them do different genres, a rap sequel would be fucking sick. Like if DJ hero and devil may cry had a baby sick. Then they could do a dubstep one, I hate dubstep but as far as Rhythm games go it has its place. Could make it like an anthology series of different music genres, that’d be so cool.

But then idk because licensing is a bitch, surprised they even got the songs they managed to get the first time around.

I’d like them to do a Recore sequel if possible with Hi-Fi art style or work with Rare on a Kameo reboot

Last edited:

hyperbertha

"Hi-Fi RUSH was a break out hit for us and our players in ALL key measurements and expectations. "

Yes, I'm reading "all key measurements and expectations" as including sales performance and that directly refutes Grubb.
break out hit can mean anything. We know it was a hit. But it sure doesn't confirm sales performance. Besides he is a pr guy. Anything out of his mouth should be taken with a grain of salt, just like the other guy.

Chukhopops

Lul....

I have an actual copy of the game I bought on Steam (I am helping!!!!) and three copies installed on the various xbox consoles around the house.

Not all of us game on a 8 year old pc and an xbox one..... (look I just made stupid assumptions like you did).
What assumption?
Put it on PS....feels like a PS game anyway.
This is port begging by definition. Anyway I’ll leave it at that.

Interesting to see the parallels between this thread and the one where Sony addressed the PSVR2 preorders story. There was also zero number yet the other thread got closed instantly.

Topher

Gold Member
break out hit can mean anything. We know it was a hit. But it sure doesn't confirm sales performance. Besides he is a pr guy. Anything out of his mouth should be taken with a grain of salt, just like the other guy.

I specifically pointed to his "all key measurements and expectations" statement. I didn't say anything about him calling it a "break out hit". But if you don't want to believe him then that is up to you.

Kikorin

To be honest I've no idea how you could say if a day one Gamepass release is a success or not. Best I can think is to watch how much people downloaded it and played for more than 5(?) hours? I doubt someone subscribed to Gamepass just to play it, except for maybe some action game enthusiast.

I don't want to downplay the game that seems awesome, but I'd be curious to know how MS can know if a release like that one has been a success or not, considering sales were super low for sure.

fermcr

After this update by Microsoft, lot of people must be felling like idiots... myself included.

If Microsoft claim the game was a success, then good for them.
In spite of the praising reviews, I thought the game would flop.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
I think you should all keep in mind that "insiders" don't really care about informing you. They gain nothing from simply sharing information. All they usually care about is accruing clout and engagement, furthering their personal gain/podcasts/websites etcetera. They will lie, distort reality, and present their speculation as stuff they "heard" if it fits their goal.

Last edited:

skit_data

Well, it didn’t make much sense to begin with.
If MS would indeed have been pointing at sales figures and deem them too low I would seriously start to question wether they even know how their own business is operating.

Jeff Grubb needs to sort out his sources and it probably wouldn’t hurt to make damn sure he’s 100% on the money before speaking on the subject matter.

Edit: I deem it rather unlikely Greenberg would outright lie officially, simply because it would be outrageous of him to do so as a representative of a publically traded company. That combined with the claim not making sense leads me to believe what he says is way more plausible.

Last edited:

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
What assumption?

This is port begging by definition. Anyway I’ll leave it at that.
Oh, I can see the confusion. I was just offering an opinion on how the game could sell more actual copies (regardless of validity of the youtube person or whatever).

I can play stuff everywhere (consumersaurs-rex here for sure), but if there are games I like (and I LOVED HFR) I want them to get as much exposure as possible. That's why I suggested it.

Carry on!

Lasha

Refuted requires giving actual numbers, not meaningless vague statements like "trust me, the numbers are so great that we can't even share them".

Especially, coming from Greenberg who plays the role of Internet Xbox fanboy better than VP of anything and has been publicly contradicting himself for the last 10-15 years.

If you believe the public should know the success or lack of success of your software or hardware, share the numbers. But, refusing to do that while saying things are selling "well", is just hoping for your audience to be gullible.

Why? The original accusation was vague and made no specific claim about the game's sales.

Top Bottom