• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hideo Kojima basically sheds light on his narcissism and boils it down in less than 140 characters as a Tweet.

Iorv3th

I personally know a couple of people working at Kojima productions now on DS in Design and Programming. They are for a fact working 12 hour days to get this game finished.

Now knowing that how must it feel for one guy to take credit for all of that work himself.

Awful team leadership IMO.

If you personally know them, why don't you ask them what they think about it?

It's not like people coding games like NiOh with no names on the cover are known. Nobody knows about them either.

NikuNashi

If you personally know them, why don't you ask them what they think about it?

It's not like people coding games like NiOh with no names on the cover are known. Nobody knows about them either.

I know exactly what they feel about it, working for Kojima is notorious in the industry.

I think it's bad leadership for one person to take credit for a teams work regardless of what industry you are in.

A lot of food for thought on this thread.
A lot of divergent opinions, and all of them right in their own way.
Wasnt expecting it to be quite frank.

Everyone should take to heart komatsus post for starters.

Having said that, and while I fell out of love with Kojima a long time ago, this tweet, to me, feels more like taking responsability than claiming ownership.

Easy when you are a game dev rockstar sure, but still far from an egotrip.

He does those often enough for us to have to fabricate one for him.

Iorv3th

I know exactly what they feel about it, working for Kojima is notorious in the industry.

I think it's bad leadership for one person to take credit for a teams work regardless of what industry you are in.

I don't think that is what's happening here. He never claimed to have created the game himself or do the coding or music or anything else.

NikuNashi

I don't think that is what's happening here. He never claimed to have created the game himself or do the coding or music or anything else.

Yeah I think it was a misquote, I read further up someone did a direct translation from Japanese and it was a lot different.

Vbrasa

Tommy Wiseau created and directed multiple entries in a best selling and critically acclaimed franchise? Since we're speaking literally here.

No, he's obnoxious, has a cult following for whatever reason, and can't work with anyone so he has to do everything himself.

BootsLoader

Banned
I got one question.

Can the Kojima Productions team make Death Stranding without Kojima? Be honest know, everyone knows the answer.
It's simple, NO!!!

sertopico

Seems to be working just fine for Koji Pro. A lot of the current staff are from before he broke off from Konami, which lends to believe they the genuinely enjoy working with Kojima.
You are also making this assumption that others aren't as involved in the creative process or the conditions they're working under are less favorable, based on what exactly? Based on who's tetsominy from working with Kojima?
I think he has a huge ego which doesn't allow him to let others take decisions. I would call it dispotism. This is what I see everytime he appears in public or writes something. That said I also might be wrong.

HelpYouFall

Kojima is a poor man's Sergio Leone. He's not this storytelling mastermind people make him out to be. He circlejerks a lot of directors without actually offering many original concepts himself. And he does it in a very tacky and messy way a lot of the times. It's exploitation in its worst form in a lot of his games. (I enjoyed them btw, don't get me wrong)

That being said, very cool he's all in and puts it all on the line, more power to him.

Last edited:
I posted this in another thread but I meant to post it here:

PJaZw9k.png

What the fuck.

mortal

Gold Member
No, he's obnoxious, has a cult following for whatever reason, and can't work with anyone so he has to do everything himself.
Wait so he's literally the same as this other person, because of your very subjective ( likely inaccurate) assessment of him?
I think he has a huge ego which doesn't allow him to let others take decisions. I would call it dispotism. This is what I see everytime he appears in public or writes something. That said I also might be wrong.
It's safe to say you're likely very wrong lol

Last edited:

AlphaMale

A film producer can say exactly the same tweet and it holds true, except in Mr. Kojima case he forgot that "Games" need to be "coded" to become reality. So with this tweet he continues to disregard the hundreds of coders, developers, artist who helped him to create his games. Typical Kojima fashion since 1985.

If we're using that analogy, then I guess the various extras, grips, stunt doubles, etc would all be the "coders". The film producer would exclude those as well, when talking about "his/her movie", so I think maybe you're reading into too much negativity in Kojima's tweet.
Yes, Kojima probably could/should have included everyone involved, but I think the tweet was really meant to detail his own involvement in the game rather than *everything and everyone* that was involved in the game.

Tom Clancy was never involved with the games that bear his name. He was a political thriller writer who decided to become a brand: publishers simply wanted to leverage it in the late 90s/2000s, as a lot of Clancy stuff was popular in the mid-market segment. As for Meier, Micropose simply slapped his name on the cover of Pirates! as they wanted to capitalize on his reputation among flight sim enthusiasts. The early PC gaming scene was full of ripoffs, clones, etc., and this was their way of establishing their own identity.

Kojima's habit of putting his name on the cover began with MGS2: Substance - as his clout within Konami started to rise exponentially, ending with his promotion to EVP in 2011. I pretty much think it comes from his perennial frustration that he's a game designer and not a filmmaker. The "vanity credit", as it is known in Hollywood, was never really popular with those in the production staff or with the writers, but became increasingly common as time wore on.

It's preposterous, really, since directing a game is not like being a filmmaker. You're most likely in an office, with a shitload of stickies on the wall, meeting with different leads who come to you with wireframes, mockups, ideas, etc. You'll realize Kojima, for example, always shares writing credits with someone else (Tomokazu Fukushima, etc.) - what that means is that Kojima here is not really putting pen to paper, but giving general directions, intimations of plot and character, for his co-writers to go ahead and draft.

Kojima, when at Konami, always had an assistant director - usually Yoshikazu Matsuhana. Let's look at what Matsuhana said about his role in an interview with a Japanese publication about 20 years ago (one can find transcripts online):

A filmmaker is on set, behind the cinematographer, directing shots, coaching actors, etc. A game director is an executive - he handles planning, keeps the Executive Producers and Steering Committee off the project's back, drafts design documents explaining his or her expectations, etc.

Some Japanese directors, like Yasumi Matsuno, are all about plot, setting and feel, leaving others to do the technical heavy lifting. Others, like Miyamoto, have their hands on everything. A third group, like Yuji Naka, is all about the technical aspects of the game, leaving the artists to do their thing. But they're usually not in the thick of it, and all of them rely on Leads, Assistant Directors, etc. etc. to carry out their bidding.

metalgear_solid2substance__68898.1435342113.jpg

Looking back, I kinda wish Matsuno was a little more like Kojima. Look at how we got Bloodstained because Igarashi was branded with Castlevania.

It's been two decades without a proper Tactics game and Matsuno was recently quoted saying "I need to make another Tactics game before I die"

Top Bottom