• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hideo Kojima basically sheds light on his narcissism and boils it down in less than 140 characters as a Tweet.

Kumomeme

he did use to mention that different between film director and videogame director, film director had more creative controll and freedom than videogame director where there separate postion that supervise other aspect ...maybe he just want to had similliar level of control freedom as movie director

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
564320_1428345501804_500_280.jpg

Kojima thread # 409

mortal

Gold Member
To be completly honest, Kojima games are also Shinkawa games for me
Same. Shinkawa has been the art director for every MGS directed by Kojima. It shows that Kojima places a lot of trust in his creative voice.

He definitely strikes me as the low-key type as well.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I didn't know every game with his name on it was solely made by him.

He must be drawing, writing and coding 24/7. No wonder his games take forever to come out.

mortal

Gold Member
As much as I loved his older games, he is basically a control freak, which doesn't help at all in the creation process, when a whole team of people is involved.
Seems to be working just fine for Koji Pro. A lot of the current staff are from before he broke off from Konami, which lends to believe they the genuinely enjoy working with Kojima.
You are also making this assumption that others aren't as involved in the creative process or the conditions they're working under are less favorable, based on what exactly? Based on who's tetsominy from working with Kojima?

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
A film producer can say exactly the same tweet and it holds true, except in Mr. Kojima case he forgot that "Games" need to be "coded" to become reality. So with this tweet he continues to disregard the hundreds of coders, developers, artist who helped him to create his games. Typical Kojima fashion since 1985.

So you don't think a film producer has other people doing any work to complete the film? In Kojima's case it's 100% proper to say "A Hideo Kojima Game", because that's literally what it is!

xool

Did we get this yet? : Of Course, Hideo Kojima's Japanese Tweets Are More Accurate [kotaku] (and come across as less arrogant)

For whatever reason, possibly naively, and possibly not, Kojima is a great publicitist..

I don't know of any other game developer whos twitter feed I find myself reading .. maybe Kamiya but that's different reasons. Western game devs . nope not really. Other japanese devs ? (I don't know enough)

Well you tell me - who's worth following

Last edited:

BootsLoader

Banned
To be honest, there's nothing wrong with what Kojima is doing. He always makes the final decision for everything, he is directing, he is writing most of the script, he has the connections for all those actors e.t.c.
I see nothing wrong with it.

All and all that gives him no tactical advantage whatsoever...

Tomeru

Did we get this yet? : Of Course, Hideo Kojima's Japanese Tweets Are More Accurate [kotaku] (and come across as less arrogant)

For whatever reason, possibly naively, and possibly not, Kojima is a great publicitist..

I don't know of any other game developer whos twitter feed I find myself reading .. maybe Kamiya but that's different reasons. Western game devs . nope not really. Other japanese devs ? (I don't know enough)

Well you tell me - who's worth following

Should be added to op, cuz no one reads it and just posts fake rage.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Its such bullshit to argue that this isn't just petty envy and dickishness. Nobody actually gives 2 shits about his staff, or in fact the staff of any dev-team without a personal or professional connection to them.

You see how little people actually care the second something happens that they don't like, and throw the entire team under the bus for what blatantly is only the responsibility of a single individual typically in a senior role. It doesn't matter if you're an artist or a musician and the game has "bad" mtx or whatever, you're still going to get it in the neck from the nuggets in the peanut gallery.

Gargus

Banned
A film producer can say exactly the same tweet and it holds true, except in Mr. Kojima case he forgot that "Games" need to be "coded" to become reality. So with this tweet he continues to disregard the hundreds of coders, developers, artist who helped him to create his games. Typical Kojima fashion since 1985.

No, he listed the things he does.

I mean do you bitch about when Tarantino calls his movies a Quentin tarantino film because he writes, directs, works on music, set design, etc but forgets to mention every single person including the set janitor and show pointless distaste for him also? What about Stephen king do you get upset he calls his book Stephen king books when he doesn't say "a book by stephen king" and then include his editor, assistant, person who did the book cover art and the person who picked out the font on the book cover also?

Jesus you must need a helicopter to get on your horse every morning.

A.Romero

So... Hideo Kojima is a narcissist because he slaps his name on his games? It's used in many many industries like the movies or even literature. Sometimes books get sold just because a famous author wrote an introdution. Some other times movies are marketed with phrases like "from the producers of..." Same exact thing. People react to familiar names and brands.

It is marketing, people! He is not hurting anyone's feelings. Specially not his team's. There are many people (like myself!) that would buy a game blindly because it has his name on it. Do you realize that we've had had many threads about Kojima and DS in the last few weeks? They are playing us like a fiddle!

Also, Kojima has been behind many really good games. I guess we could debate in what capacity he collaborated but still, too many good games for it to be a mere coincidence. You can not like his games but his success in the industry is undeniable. Actually, if you think his games are bad then it's proof that slapping his name on his games works wonders because they ALL sell pretty good.

Kojima is most likely a narcissist but putting his name everywhere is not necessarily an indication of it.

I guess what I'm trying to say is: Kojima loves you and you should love him back. Praise Kojima!

Razvedka

Banned

But none of the fucking programming, I see. Nevermind all the other background IT tasks that have to get done, logistically, for this game to happen.

I respect the size of his knackers for making a post like this, really puts him front and center for glory or a meteoric fall. But he isn't doing alot of the grunt work, and by grunt I mean complex problems which require smarts and education to solve efficiently.

For whatever that's worth to people.

Last edited:

NikuNashi

I personally know a couple of people working at Kojima productions now on DS in Design and Programming. They are for a fact working 12 hour days to get this game finished.

Now knowing that how must it feel for one guy to take credit for all of that work himself.

Awful team leadership IMO.

I personally know a couple of people working at Kojima productions now on DS in Design and Programming. They are for a fact working 12 hour days to get this game finished.

Now knowing that how must it feel for one guy to take credit for all of that work himself.

Awful team leadership IMO.
What's up with these communist NPCs lately?

Top Bottom