• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hillary Clinton on Sanders: 'I'm not even sure he is a Democract'

Status
Not open for further replies.

DOWN

Banned
From the original article:

EDIT: Dear BerntGAF, note she was asked this because Bernie himself doesn't consider himself a democrat and isn't raising money for down-ballot Dems
http://www.politico.com/story/2016/04/hillary-clinton-has-had-enough-of-bernie-sanders-221495
Sanders had just told an interviewer that he was iffy about raising money for down-ballot Democrats, so I asked Clinton the obvious question: Did she think Sanders is a real Democrat?

“Well, I can’t answer that,” she said with a smile. Then she proceeded to answer the question. “He’s a relatively new Democrat, and, in fact, I’m not even sure he is one. He’s running as one. So I don’t know quite how to characterize him.”

More on the topic and Sanders history
http://www.cnn.com/2016/04/06/politics/hillary-clinton-bernie-sanders-democrat/index.html
Hillary Clinton stepped up her criticism of Bernie Sanders following his victory in the Wisconsin primary Tuesday, questioning the Vermont senator's fidelity to the Democratic Party and knocking him for his inability to answer questions in an interview with the New York Daily News.

"He's a relatively new Democrat, and, in fact, I'm not even sure he is one," Clinton told Politico's Glenn Thrush in an interview published on Wednesday morning. "He's running as one. So I don't know quite how to characterize him. I'll leave that to him."

The critique was a step further than she usually goes on the subject, which she typically brings up to tout her own long history with the party.

Clinton continued that line of attack on MSNBC's "Morning Joe" Wednesday morning.
Asked if she thinks Sanders is a Democrat, Clinton replied, "I think he himself doesn't consider himself to be a Democrat."

"Look, he's raised a lot of important issues that the Democratic Party agrees with, income inequality first and foremost," she said. "But it's up to the Democratic primary voters to make that assessment. I've been in the trenches for a long time."

Throughout this presidential campaign, Clinton has routinely touted her ties to the Democratic Party, a jab at Sanders, a politician who has caucused with Democrats since 1991 but has never been a member of the party.

Clinton grew up in a Republican household and was briefly a Republican when she went to Wellesley College in 1965. Shortly after arriving on campus, however, Clinton grew more liberal and has been a member of the Democratic Party since her graduation in 1969.

Feep

Banned
I don't have a problem with him running D, considering his views, but it does always annoy me when his supporters claim that he doesn't "play the game" like Hillary does.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Stay steady Queen, dont give in to the pressure.

I know she's frustrated that she still has to campaign despite pretty much locking up the nomination last month, but this is not the way to deal with this. The bernie campaign and his rabid followers will just use this against her.

I feel like this is gonna be one of those threads where almost everyone agrees with what is said, but they all get upset anyway.

Syncytia

She's not wrong but she apparently doesn't see that people like that Bernie is progressive and has been for a long time.

He's not a democrat though, he's said it himself. He votes with them the majority of the time and more or less functions as a democrat because of the two party system, but I'm pretty sure he's the first person to mention that he literally only ran as a democrat because he had to to a) get anywhere in the primaries and b) because running as a third party splits the vote and leads to a republican in office.

marrec

Banned
I feel like this is gonna be one of those threads where almost everyone agrees with what is said, but they all get upset anyway.

It seems that Sanders supporters would cheer Sanders if he reminded them that he's not really a democrat, but will jeer Hillary when she says it.

She's not wrong but this doesn't really strike me as an effective line of attack. I guess the thought is that there's a bunch of closed primaries coming up but I still don't think the average voter cares enough about commitment to the party to make this worthwhile.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
But everyone else wonders the same of her.

no one but the nuttiest Sanders supporters wonders if Hillary Clinton is "really" a Democrat.

Bernie Sanders, on the other hand, was an independent literally until he started running for President

Syncytia

This is abuse? Sanders was not a Democrat until a year or two ago, and said himself that he only joined the party to run for president.

So we fault him for that and not our entrenched two party system? I don't blame him for doing it. It's the only way to play the game.

inner-G

Banned
I'm more interested in what policies they'll push for rather than what party they raise money for.

People like outsiders this year.

Boney

Banned
Hasn't he only identified with Democrats for this election? Pretty sure he was an independent before. His views are left of the democrats as a rule
Isn't he the cofounder of the liberal wing of the Democratic Party with Elizabeth Warren?

It's pretty clear they're appealing to the more progressive people and this should be celebrated because it raises a lot of issues to be discussed. I'd think it's the same reason why he pushed for someone to run against Obama in the primaries in 2012. Coronations undermine the democratic process a bit.

Akiraptor

The more I hear from Clinton the more I dislike her. Sanders has his flaws, but purely from a character perspective he's practically a saint compared to Hillary in my eyes. She's no Ted Cruz or Donald Trump, but I'd struggle to vote for someone like her.

I'll still vote because voter apathy is among the worst likely things that can happen in an election, but if my choice is between Clinton and Trump/Cruz/GOP, I'll probably vote for Jill Stein.

Moppeh

Banned
No offense, OP, but it seems like you are just trying to start more Sanders vs Clinton beef.

Maybe I'm wrong, but isn't this sorta obvious? Does making a thread on this really do anything beneficial?

It has been pretty clear from the start that he isn't a Democrat.

Cybrwzrd

Banned
Well, if Democrats are the party that represents liberal urban 1%ers and Wall Street, then, no I don't think he qualifies.

Shut up Hillary. There is a reason you have been quiet for so long. The more you talk, the more Sanders is being viewed as a viable option against Trump.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom