• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hogwarts Legacy Is Currently The Best Selling Game On Steam

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
What I asked wasn't extreme.

You've merely skirted around my questions whilst making sure that you addressed none.

If I'm playing a PS1, but believe that it's a PS5, is the console that I'm playing a PS1 or a PS5? What would you label my console as? And would my console be able to play Hogwarts Legacy?
I'm not the guy were were initially responding to.

My point was anyone can label themselves whatever they want. But for anyone else trying to label them, people need to respect their choice of label as long as its sound because no person is ever going to get labeling right with 100% accuracy because everyone labels themselves different.

So in my example, if an Indian person in Canada has these 4 choices available to them:

- Canadian
- Indian
- Indian-Canadian
- Indo-Canadian

They can pick whatever they want. They can even pick one not on the list. But if someone else wants to label them something, how is that person a mind reader to know which is the correct term to use? What they will use is what they think is the best terminology based on their preference and what they know.

CherryFalls

Me and the gang after we just secured our pre order copies of Hogwarts:

cn9c7jnuuvaa1.jpg

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Jesus christ, I mean OK I get it HP and all that... but can you at least wait for the reviews? Especially on PC where WB have shitty ports, like make sure the games good before you pull the trigger...

I'm not one of the people who think due to the developers past this has no chance of being good, but like you can wait a bit and check before buying.

Last edited:

SpearHea.:D

Have no faith in the devs but games looks cool and i like harry potter. Good selling numbers will piss off many retards, would like to be a part of it. So i already bought it.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Jesus christ, I mean OK I get it HP and all that... but can you at least wait for the reviews? Especially on PC where WB have shitty ports, like make sure the games good before you pull the trigger...

I'm not one of the people who think due to the developers past this has no chance of being good, but like you can wait a bit and check before buying.
With CP2077 being the posterboy for waiting for reviews and patches, you'd think gamers would hold off on preorders and simply wait for reviews, YT videos and Twitch streams which start flooding in on (gasp) day one at 8:00 am. For big name games, you probably got 100s of YT/streamer media and 40 reviews out by the time dinner time hits.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
What's the benefit of buying the game in advance when the state of the game will be known within hours of release? Sleep through the midnight unlock and check impressions/chatter when you wake up.
Or check for yourself instead of relying on someone else impressions.

Pagusas

Elden Member
What's the benefit of buying the game in advance when the state of the game will be known within hours of release? Sleep through the midnight unlock and check impressions/chatter when you wake up.
Only benefit right now is there are lots of 20% off deals going on for it. I’ll be buying it just to get it cheaper than it will be at launch.

Lasha

Or check for yourself instead of relying on someone else impressions.

Waiting to see if there are any glaring performance bugs doesn't invalidate steams return policy. I can still "check for myself" without giving a company an advance for no reason. Waiting has saved me from having to waste my time on games in desperate need of a patch.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Waiting to see if there are any glaring performance bugs doesn't invalidate steams return policy. I can still "check for myself" without giving a company an advance for no reason. Waiting has saved me from having to waste my time on games in desperate need of a patch.
There are others more important things than bugs to check for yourself, like the controls and game play.

I'm actually going to wait for people to talk about it before I pull the trigger on this one. It could end up being a genuinely good game, or it might not.

I like Harry Potter but I don't have the time to put up with yet another generic Ubisoft open world trash game anymore at my age.

Lasha

There are others more important things than bugs to check for yourself, like the controls and game play.

I'll be clear since you're having trouble understanding.

Your way: you preorder the game, install it at unlock, play for two hours, refund if you don't like it.

My way: I check to see if the state of the PC versions performance by waiting, I buy the game if it's functional, I play for two hours and refund if I don't like it.

The end result is the same except I don't spend money until I am ready to play the game. I also avoid debacles like the cp2077 launch since performance issues and bugs quickly come to the forefront.

In a case of "whataboutism", can I ask as to how you would choose to label me if I was born as an American, but identified as a Russian (even though I didn't hold a Russian passport, and don't have a Russian nationality)?

If civilization collapsed tomorrow, and all the medical staff were rounded up and killed off, how would men "transgender" into becoming females (and vice versa)?
You use examples that haven't happened as of yet, but if they do we can revisit these. The other one is a phenomenon that is historically and currently being studied and understood. The examples you give are more so simple examples of how words work, because names of things can change...vs the trans example of man and woman is more of an issue social sciences and how categorizations that we created can be more inclusive. Being trans isn't just about medical transitioning, most people transition socially long before they get on blockers or have surgery.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
My way: I check to see if the state of the PC versions performance by waiting, I buy the game if it's functional, I play for two hours and refund if I don't like it.
The performance on my PC may be different from others PCs, like the stutter cases that stutters like crazy for some and are just some hiccups here and there for others.

Last edited:

Lasha

The performance on my PC may be different from others PCs, like the stutter cases that stutters like crazy for some and are just some hiccups here and there for others.

Both represent performance issues. The widespread issues I'm alluding to are more than just shader stutter though. I'm perfectly happy saving my money and time then revisiting a game after it gets patched or the price drops enough that I can overlook flaws. There's always something to play. Let others be the beta testers.

Ozzie666

What I asked wasn't extreme.

You've merely skirted around my questions whilst making sure that you addressed none.

If I'm playing a PS1, but believe that it's a PS5, is the console that I'm playing a PS1 or a PS5? What would you label my console as? And would my console be able to play Hogwarts Legacy?

When that twitch debacle happened with the person claiming to be a deer and people supported that person as identifying as a deer. I don't think that has helped legitimate groups (trans) which have been lumped into this type of crazy level shit going on. Absolute insanity happening.

We live in a society where people can identify as almost anything, a couch, a car or even a deer. But physical biology still remains constant, while mental and soul state differ.

I lost my faith in humanity when I saw the deer crap being accepted so easily as something that was okay. Because it's definitely not okay.

ZehDon

Era is going to be demanding Steam reveal what accounts bought the game like they did with Cyberpunk.
Can I see for the receipts for this one? That's... quite a thing.

If I wanted to stoke the fire, I'd recommend Era use the presence of achievements or trophies for Hogwarts to ban members on Era, as this indicates a purchase. Many board members on Era list their Xbox / PSN / Steam account info in their profiles - shouldn't be too hard to put that kind of scrapper together. Surely they'd be happy to cull those kinds of hypocrites?

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

I preordered, and I'm looking forward to it.

What's sad is that there are people shitting on the entire game because of the Harry Potter IP. But they're completely disregarding every single individual that has worked hard on the game for several years. Which JK Rowling hasn't touched. She's just obviously linked to the IP. That's it.

It's wild to me, the reaction of certain people. If you don't like thing, that's more than fine. Don't buy it, don't support it, etc. But there's no reason to completely shit on others that like thing just because you don't. It's insane to me. It really doesn't need to go deeper than that. Not everything needs to be complicated and intricate.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
It's wild to me, the reaction of certain people. If you don't like thing, that's more than fine. Don't buy it, don't support it, etc. But there's no reason to completely shit on others that like thing just because you don't. It's insane to me. It really doesn't need to go deeper than that. Not everything needs to be complicated and intricate.
That's because for something like video games and Twitter, loud people know the corporate side might bend.

So they harass and cancel knowing there's a decent chance they will win. And losers on Twitter feel better when the masses get dumbed down to their desires. It's their way of finally winning a battle in life where someone listens to them. Everyone knows in modern day western companies there's a chance that the 2% of population amped up on loud politics hoping to strongarm their way might turn the needle for the other 98% who are fine with what was already there and dont care about digging through someone's twitter profile from 7 years ago.

Last edited:

Griffon

Going against the crazy fucks early might have been one of the best business decisions HK Rollings ever made.

OZ9000

Banned
In a case of "whataboutism", can I ask as to how you would choose to label me if I was born as an American, but identified as a Russian (even though I didn't hold a Russian passport, and don't have a Russian nationality)?

What about if I was a 76 year old man (and had all the wrinkles to prove it), but identified as a 18 year old man, what would you label me as?

What about if I worked as a carpenter in India, but identified as the President Of The United States Of America? What would you label me as?

What about if I drove a Volkswagen, but identified as driving a Ferrari? Would my Volkswagen car suddenly be labeled as a Ferrari, and would it suddenly develop the same attributes, and have the same price tag on the market?

If I'm a human being, and can only (successfully) copulate with another human being, could I identify myself as a giraffe? How would you choose to label me then? And would I suddenly be able to be the star of a natural documentary TV show about giraffes (narrated by David Attenborough)?

If civilization collapsed tomorrow, and all the medical staff were rounded up and killed off, how would men "transgender" into becoming females (and vice versa)?
Fantastic post.

OZ9000

Banned
She said people who weren't born with vaginas cannot identify as female. That is transphobic, not getting labelled one unjustly.
That is factually incorrect. Is science transphobic?

The trans argument is completely circular and devoid of any logic. Trans activists will claim gender is a social construct when you bring science however will continue to wear makeup, dresses and long hair in an effort to fit within said social norms. Is THAT the true definition of a woman? Is "womanhood" an article of clothing you can throw on one day after waking up? Lmfao.

In case you have forgotten, here is the definition of a woman or female:
Biology. of, relating to, or being a person with a certain combination of sex characteristics, commonly including two X chromosomes in the cell nuclei, a vagina, a uterus and ovaries.

Last edited:

Lasha

That is factually incorrect. Is science transphobic?

The trans argument is completely circular and devoid of any logic.

In case you have forgotten, here is the definition of a woman or female:
Biology. of, relating to, or being a person with a certain combination of sex characteristics, commonly including two X chromosomes in the cell nuclei, a vagina, a uterus and ovaries, and enlarged breasts developed at puberty.

The sad part is that what Rowling actually said was different than what is usually portrayed. She has always consistently expressed her support for trans people's rights and laws to protect against any form of discrimination. The message "people who weren't born with vaginas cannot identify as female" is what happens after a well-constructed opinion is cut and editorialized to fit within a Tweet then amplified many times through quote replies to a decreasingly literate audience.

Freeman76

I hope this game turns out as good as it looks.

Also will have the added bonus of riling up those pussyhole cunts on resetera who can't handle life in general and need a safe warm rainbow to cuddle up on looking down on normal people like we are the wierdos.

Regginator

Can't wait, looks like it's going to be an awesome game.

But why the fuck would you EVER pre-order? Like, are you afraid digital copies will run out? You have zero knowledge about how it'll run. I suppose if you buy it from Steam, you can always refund it within 2 hours playtime if it runs like ass, but do consoles even have that refund policy? I know that with Sony, just downloading the game (not even playing it) makes you ineligible to refund. Why in fuck's name then would you pre-order?

People are way too quick to throw their money on something that - for all intents and purposes - doesn't exist yet. And then we lament about the state of the gaming industry, lol

Pejo

Gold Member
My gf is a huge Harry Potter fan, so I'll be getting us each a copy. I'm hoping they do an optimization for Steam Deck, since we both have one, and she hasn't really gotten much use out of hers lately. Glad to see it doing well, they put a lot of time and love into the game, just based on the previews. I myself enjoyed the movies but never read the books or got into it outside of the movies, but it should still be a fun game.

Top Bottom