• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hogwarts Legacy Is Currently The Best Selling Game On Steam

Putonahappyface

Gold Member
My friend, who is boycotting this game, is a massive Simon Pegg fan - it'll be hilarious to see the reaction
K1cKwjL.gif

zkorejo

Looking forward to the release. Not sure if this will be a good port for PC. Will wait for reviews to see if the game's actually good and which platform to play this on. Looks so good so far. It's mind boggling how long it took WB to make a good HP game.

stn

I lost interest in the franchise as I grew older, but the game preview I saw looked good. I'm expecting it will sell a shit-ton.

tkscz

So many articles are trying to throw EVERYTHING they can at this game.

I've heard it was transphobic because of JK Rowling
I heard it was antisemite because the gnomes have big noses and control money
I heard it was fascist because the story is about evil wizards just trying to rise up against their oppressors and you play the oppressor
I heard it was racist because the trailers don't show enough non-white characters
I heard it was sexist, but this one wasn't even given a reason.

All the while I'm still like:
wild GIF

BbMajor7th

Gold Member
I've tried, he used to be able to think critically rather than condemn others but he is long gone now. Reminds me of the boomer mentality (set in their ways) they always complained about.

Better off not talking to him about it and just gaming lol
I can relate. I move in a lot of socially-progressive, centrist circles and I've seen scores of people get swamped by popular consensus on certain issues. I get it - the atmosphere is pretty tense these days. If you don't pronounce the proper shibboleths, you'll have people calling you every name under the sun. Even I'm careful about where and when I'll get into political discourse these days and I'm well known among friends and family for being an inveterate trouble causer.

Last edited:

Astral Dog

Same.

This is a trusted team.

I hope this shows companies you need solid teams to actually make those licensed deals work make sense. No disrespect to Platinum Games, but those that own those IPs should see such teams cant be trusted with licenses if they are just looking to crank anything out regardless of quality.

We've seen enough great titles come out from Avalanche and Insomniac that prove not just anyone can do those licensed concepts.
Hey, Platinum Games made two amazing games and one good with IPs that weren't their own (Metal Gear Rising, Transformers, and Nier Automata) when they give them shit for budget, little time and don't care about the end result or the IP, Platinum is just gonna release what they asked for without any collaboration. when the publisher and team actually cares about the project they turn out fine

ANDS

King of Gaslighting

FINALLY!!

Some voice talents.

Well this is out of the blue news; definitely shows WB has faith in the product if they're willing to throw money at Pegg (not sure if he's done VG voice work before).

. . .a little hilarious though that they got him to record his line and this video at the same time; curious to see how much this character is actually in the game.

Same.

This is a trusted team.

I hope this shows companies you need solid teams to actually make those licensed deals work make sense. No disrespect to Platinum Games, but those that own those IPs should see such teams cant be trusted with licenses if they are just looking to crank anything out regardless of quality.

We've seen enough great titles come out from Avalanche and Insomniac that prove not just anyone can do those licensed concepts.

I can appreciate where the previous poster was coming from with this, but it's also something I've pushed back on when people have brought it up as well. Undeniable Avalanche (are they even called that anymore; hasn't WB rebranded them as Portkey Games) produced some content of questionable cultural value - but only because they had to as DISNEY's inhouse game studio.

. . .TLDR: if this game turns out to be a turd (like lower than "Fair" on Opencritic) it won't be because they had to make CARS 2: Electric Boogaloo for the WII.

EDMIX

Well this is out of the blue news; definitely shows WB has faith in the product if they're willing to throw money at Pegg (not sure if he's done VG voice work before).

. . .a little hilarious though that they got him to record his line and this video at the same time; curious to see how much this character is actually in the game.

I can appreciate where the previous poster was coming from with this, but it's also something I've pushed back on when people have brought it up as well. Undeniable Avalanche (are they even called that anymore; hasn't WB rebranded them as Portkey Games) produced some content of questionable cultural value - but only because they had to as DISNEY's inhouse game studio.

. . .TLDR: if this game turns out to be a turd (like lower than "Fair" on Opencritic) it won't be because they had to make CARS 2: Electric Boogaloo for the WII.

Agreed. I hope it turns out good and I'm 70% sure on it lol I like that they are growing and can become a huge powerhouse as they have a lot of talent behind them, but how this game does will determine a lot of that.

Hey, Platinum Games made two amazing games and one good with IPs that weren't their own (Metal Gear Rising, Transformers, and Nier Automata) when they give them shit for budget, little time and don't care about the end result or the IP, Platinum is just gonna release what they asked for without any collaboration. when the publisher and team actually cares about the project they turn out fine

semi OT but...nahhhhh....I wish that was true btw as the team has made some gems, but holy shit they have made many, many flops. I can't even blame the publisher btw as I can't just argue "Oh Activision didn't pay dem doe" and what am I to believe? Neither did Square, MS or Nintendo? The other publishers they had a failing out with, cancelled games and just horrid quality?

So Square gave em a budget for Nier and its great, but now they didn't for Babylon Falls?

Nintendo gave em a budget for Astral Chain and its great, but ohhhh they didn't for Star Fox....their more established IP?

Its easier to just say Platinum is hit or miss then to pretend Square, Nintendo, MS, Activision and many more just all fucked up or something. I was willing to believe that years ago, but too many examples of that team just taking on all theses contracts and it being a toss up make me greatly question blaming a publisher or something. Even Nier, they only co-developed that title with Square to be in charge of combat. So...maybe it just makes sense to limit their roles to combat and have another team handle everything else or something or they need to slow down excepting all those contracts.

Tams

I absolutely do want this game to do well, and will be getting a copy (or two if they do eventually release on the Switch).

I have concerns about Avalanche's track record, and really can't help but notice that in even the latest videos that the character movement looks rather wooden, and that the facial details seem lacking and the movement weird. Hopefully, if that is the case, it will be easy to ignore.

Don't want it to outperform Tears of the Kingdom though.

Last edited:
Please tell me you're joking.
See for yourself in the comments.

A bunch of people saying he's "on the wrong team", antisemetic, a transphobe, etc.

What's funny is that he actually left Twitter in the hands of his publicist somewhere between 5-10 years ago (which was a smart move in retrospect, although I do miss his actual posts)... so Simon probably won't see or hear any of the whining lol

Umbasaborne

Banned
See for yourself in the comments.

A bunch of people saying he's "on the wrong team", antisemetic, a transphobe, etc.

What's funny is that he actually left Twitter in the hands of his publicist somewhere between 5-10 years ago (which was a smart move in retrospect, although I do miss his actual posts)... so Simon probably won't see or hear any of the whining lol

Lets not feed the trolls, and just enjoy the game. Something we are able to do freely without fear of judgment at this site.

Lets not feed the trolls, and just enjoy the game. Something we are able to do freely without fear of judgment at this site.
It's a little hard to 'enjoy the game' when it's still not out for another month lol

Also, calling them trolls is giving them way too much credit because there is a high chance that they are genuinely mentally ill and believe everything they say.

I don't care about JK at all. I know she's woke as fuck but that's not enough for some people.
I'm not a big Harry Potter fan, but the game looks fun. Even my wife who's not into 3D games is interested. I might buy it afterall.

EDMIX

I support JK’s opinion and I support this fucking game.

Day 1 purchase no questions asked.

I'd buy this game even if I disagreed with her opinion lol

People generally need to stop trying to align that shit as if every last game, book, movie etc MUST support their views. I hardly know what that controversy is over and even if I disagreed with her point of view, it would never stop me from reading her books or playing a game based on this IP.

I think the people who even think this way, even they are not honest with themselves when they make these dumb arguments on boycotting or cancelling a game or IP based on someone's views or something. They using the internet right? A PC right? Facebook? Do they think Bill Gates or Mark Zuckerberg 100% support their views? What are they going to do? Stop going to work cause it uses technology by a person they disagree with, don't use a phone or computer or don't got to any stores lol Tell em to keep that SAME ENEGRY if they really fucking think this way for real.

That shit sounds exhausting

-Zelda-

Banned
I saw posts on R/gamingcirclejerk that claim the game is racist because Simon Pegg is playing a character named Professor Phineas Nigellus Black. Not gonna link it. The name is kind of weird, but those people are still idiots.

Last edited:

JayK47

Either the critics will give it poor reviews or not review it at all, claiming some woke BS excuse. Steam will see major review bombing. People buying it just to give it a bad review, then get a refund. The release will be a shit show and it will suck for the developers that worked hard just to have this made up controversy steal all of the attention away from what is likely to be a decent game. I hope I am wrong and the release goes well and they get review scores that can look past the politics and focus on the actual game.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Oh, I disagree, I think the public is going to heavily support this game positively 10:1. I think most of the negative stuff will come from the critics, but it'll mainly be the insufferable sites like Kotaku or Polygon who can't do one review without inputting their personal sociopolitical views into it. But I think it's going to be in the 9's on metacritic from the audience reviews. Most people are not crazy and don't believe this nonsense that is propagated by activists types. It seems like more of these people exist, because they're a vocal minority heavily concentrated on social media. And a lot of them happen to exist in the gaming sphere for whatever reason, it's just a super "progressive" space. Particularly in the games media. But gaming is so commonplace with the masses now, almost every average person is a gamer, and most average people are not woke, so this game if this game is review bombed, it'll be the other way IMO. Positively.

Last edited:

Astral Dog

Agreed. I hope it turns out good and I'm 70% sure on it lol I like that they are growing and can become a huge powerhouse as they have a lot of talent behind them, but how this game does will determine a lot of that.

semi OT but...nahhhhh....I wish that was true btw as the team has made some gems, but holy shit they have made many, many flops. I can't even blame the publisher btw as I can't just argue "Oh Activision didn't pay dem doe" and what am I to believe? Neither did Square, MS or Nintendo? The other publishers they had a failing out with, cancelled games and just horrid quality?

So Square gave em a budget for Nier and its great, but now they didn't for Babylon Falls?

Nintendo gave em a budget for Astral Chain and its great, but ohhhh they didn't for Star Fox....their more established IP?

Its easier to just say Platinum is hit or miss then to pretend Square, Nintendo, MS, Activision and many more just all fucked up or something. I was willing to believe that years ago, but too many examples of that team just taking on all theses contracts and it being a toss up make me greatly question blaming a publisher or something. Even Nier, they only co-developed that title with Square to be in charge of combat. So...maybe it just makes sense to limit their roles to combat and have another team handle everything else or something or they need to slow down excepting all those contracts.
Well... Yeah they made some flops, and took too many projects at once(likely because their original titles don't sell too well sadly), but its not fair to blame everything on Platinum.

Star Fox was barely revived because Nintendo needed games on Wii U, its a shaky IP and most of its design was by Miyamoto to focus on the Wii U controller.

Microsoft and PG were working on a title far too bloated and ambitious for the team at the time, they aren't a big western developer, so it ended up cancelled. If it had been a more traditional action game it would have turned out fine but Microsoft isn't interested on that

God knows what happened with Babylon Fall, but i can guess most of its design was Square's ideas, they thought about using Platinum on a design they had no experience with to make money, nothing about BB screams Platinum Games design wise, its an entirely different idea from Nier Automata

Metal Gear Rising never got sequel because of Konami.

Astral Chain, despite being a Platinum "original" was made in collaboration with Nintendo, (the cyberpunk theme was Nintendo's idea) it turned out great

Platinum Games don't sell as well as other developers, their specialty is linear character action games with over the top characters,not bloated open worlds, narrative heavy or serious games,wich sometimes clash with audiences, that's why some publishers have trouble working with them, i do believe they make mostly solid work.

But that's neither here or there with Harry Potter, think Platinum could make a fun Harry Potter action game though 🤭

Top Bottom