• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hogwarts Legacy |OT| The Prisoners of AskforBan

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Giving your character a ridiculous name in games where we can choose to do so is a hallowed tradition going back many decades. Don’t tell me you’ve never named any of your characters Dickface or Gaylord?
My favorite thing in RPGs is to name every character “my wiener” and laugh like an idiot in every dialog scene

Anyway really enjoying this so far, barely just started:
A2YNaXi.jpg

aHFYcvk.jpg

Looks like this game is going to crack into the top 10 CCU on steam before the official launch on friday. Their boycott really fucking backfired 😂

ajanke

Doing my first wetwork at night, killing goblins and poachers. Serious Corinthian vibes from The Sandman.

KLqeXfY.jpg
Lol, at night when out I put on my vigilante dark arts gear. Go saving folks. Daytime I’m an innocent student with glasses

belmarduk

Is the extra content worth the $10 or is playing early really what you are paying for?

Pretty much the early access... I wanted to get it ASAP because I don't like digital copies of games and worried about getting a copy since the demand for this game is so high.

There's a dark arts arena in the premium version, which I haven't done yet.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
My fav part was after only speaking around ten words with them, your character immediately gushes about what an amazing person they were, looking forward to having that forced on my character again soon.
If we bitch about this enough, pretty soon the Era folks will buy the game in order to spite the “transphobes” :messenger_tears_of_joy:
You better take your character to adoctor, he has a magical parasite for a scar
Lol I always make the ugliest freak I can but sadly this character creator only gives you a bunch of non-ugly presets… with the exception of scars. Man there are some gnarly ones. We were scrolling through like “hmm let’s see what they have to ch…oh Lord what in the hell happened to this poor guy?”

Anyway best I could do is pasty white dude with platinum blond cornrows + giant scar.

belmarduk

You all told us you wanted this as a full ban. We agreed, and we have provided it. And we are once again prepared to toss out anyone who breaks the rules no matter how they feel about Rowling and Harry Potter. Do not attempt to skirt the rules.”

Why would they need to toss out anyone if everyone agreed to the ban? Mega brain time. What a total shitshow. This is what happens when you think your personal extremist idiocy, and the voices of a few other extremist buddies, are in fact the common agreed upon Ethical Group Think of an entire forum.

They are hemorrhaging users right now, and rightfully so, because they thought it would please a tiny group of malcontents. Yet the malcontents STILL aren't happy and the regular users are leaving because... its supposed to be a gaming forum.

Ya hate to see it.

hahahhahhahahhahaha

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Luke often has pretty decent taste, and his takes are usually worth listening to. Good to see he's positive about the game.
I thought the same at first, but that guy is actually pretty ridiculous.

He titles nearly every review “a skeptics review of…” or some variation of that. Which is just annoying clickbait, I guess.

The bad part is he plagiarized a guy’s Dark Souls review a few years ago. Thing is, he won’t even pretend to come clean about it like the IGN guy who plagiarized. He just keeps denying.

Pretty lame that he still gets so many views without owning that.

And because of that, I feel emboldened to call out the super cringe bits of comedy he inserts into his videos. Lots of that “Wait - did I really just say that?” With a blank stare into the camera, followed by a forced laugh. Just the awkward kind of stuff you can’t imagine actually performing in front of a camera, alone in your room, without barfing.

Last edited:

SafeOrAlone

Banned
You all told us you wanted this as a full ban. We agreed, and we have provided it. And we are once again prepared to toss out anyone who breaks the rules no matter how they feel about Rowling and Harry Potter. Do not attempt to skirt the rules.”

Why would they need to toss out anyone if everyone agreed to the ban? Mega brain time. What a total shitshow. This is what happens when you think your personal extremist idiocy, and the voices of a few other extremist buddies, are in fact the common agreed upon Ethical Group Think of an entire forum.
Well, yeah, you can’t even really speak up to disagree over there, so they have no way of actually reading the room.

Last edited:
We

Well, yeah, you can’t even really speak up to disagree over there, so they have no way of actually reading the room.
Yep, it's a horrible system. They have a members only post for "community feedback" but people are often banned for posts in there too, or if you ruffle some feathers in there they will mark you on a shitlist to ban later. Awful awful system.

GladiusFrog

So I'm out of the loop on the whole controversy surrounding this game, I'm not into silly bullshit like that.

But I gotta say, watching my wife enjoy this title as a long time fan of Harry Potter has been a treat. I know nothing of the world or it's lore but I'm completely engrossed in her adventure....and she's explaining everything, apparently it's all accurate to the source material. This game was clearly developed by a talented team and deserves all the praise for their amazing work.

Awesome game. 👍

So I'm out of the loop on the whole controversy surrounding this game, I'm not into silly bullshit like that.

But I gotta say, watching my wife enjoy this title as a long time fan of Harry Potter has been a treat. I know nothing of the world or it's lore but I'm completely engrossed in her adventure....and she's explaining everything, apparently it's all accurate to the source material. This game was clearly developed by a talented team and deserves all the praise for their amazing work.

Awesome game. 👍
I won't get into the controversy/politics.... cause I could be here all year.

But as a HUGE HP fan yeah the game is accurate to the source material. In many ways it does more justice to the books than the movies. Avalanche has done a great job of bringing the world of HP to life. It was a huge task considering we got such great movies and as much as I love the movies playing this game makes me hope we get many more games because it's top tier Harry Potter content.

I played the ever loving shit out of the original HP games on PS1/PS2/PS3 but this game.... oh man this game is excellent. It's what I've been dreaming of for literally decades now. From those early days of playing Philosopher's Stone on my PS1 this is what I wanted.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Been playing for almost 8hrs…. Man this game is a blast, haven’t even got the invso spell yet (next part of mission I’m on). Just keep getting side tracked with side quest and collecting…. And this is all in Hogwarts, haven’t gone outside yet save the wand making story mission.

Game is so engrossing…. Almost want to call off work to play more…. Who would have thought a non potter fan would be having such a good time.

Last edited:

DosGamer

This game really seems to have a foundation that is perfect for an MMORPG. With a bigger map and finetuned mechanics, I cant see any reason why a MMO would not work perfect in this world.

Looking at the spell lists I'm surprised that it looks like we can use the unforgivable curses.

So you're telling me that I can start this game off as an innocent 5th year student learning magic and can eventually go around controlling, torturing, and murdering people?

That shit is daaaark and I can't wait to play more to see how the story goes.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Looking at the spell lists I'm surprised that it looks like we can use the unforgivable curses.

So you're telling me that I can start this game off as an innocent 5th year student learning magic and can eventually go around controlling, torturing, and murdering people?

That shit is daaaark and I can't wait to play more to see how the story goes.

The three curses have quests to unlock.

Tu be sure I understand - the hogsmeade dlc is not a preorder bonus but an exclusive DLC right?
If I get the game on PS5 in a month I will still have it for free?

ManaByte

Gold Member
Yeah think just a potion recipe is preorder ps exclusive

Correct. This is how it breaks down:

Deluxe Edition (EVERYONE):
Dark Arts cosmetics
Thestral

Pre-Order (EVERYONE):
Onyx Hippogriff

Harry Potter Fan Club Account Linking (EVERYONE):
Deluxe house robe cosmetic and wand.

PS pre-order exclusive:
Potion recipe

PS exclusive DLC:
Hogsmede haunted shop quest DLC
Hogsmede shopkeeper cosmetic

Rivdoric

Neo Member
Hullo there !

I've been very suspicious about this game, notably because Avalanche Studios has never worked on anything impressive and that i saw poorly PC optimised & polished game coming.
Now hesitating because i see lots of good players feedbacks (though i still think they may be largely OP because of how popular the world and universe is and how subjective can fans be, no offense to anyone that's just facts =) ).

So here are my questions : Do you see this game be entertaining in the long run, once the "discovery" fades a bit ?
Is the story okayish or meh ?
And at last, which is the most important to me : is the interactivity in the world consequent ? I don't want to play a new Ubisoft Open world type of games where everything is a beautiful but generic empty shell.

Thanks a lot :) ! Still hesitating to wait for discount or go full with the deluxe pre-order to get all items as a collector 👀.

Last edited:

FeastYoEyes

I feel it's a real shame a large swath of games media aren't even willing to give this game a shot. It's a really well made game so far and I think there would be interesting conversations to have about how it handled it's IP compared to games like Star Wars Battlefront and Gotham Knights (bad examples but you get the idea). Is Digital Foundry skipping coverage too?

Top Bottom