• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hogwarts Legacy |OT| The Prisoners of AskforBan

Oh shit. I'm level 20 and I'm only 11 hours in. How is that possible
LoL don’t shit your pants, I‘m level 21 at 12h, finished the first main story: ‘trial‘ and there’s more to go, but just go to the world map and scroll south, there’s a lot more there than you might have expected.

Last edited:
This game will have a massive mod community.
And then the lord Discover/Warner Brothers said: ‘What in the flying fuck? I didn’t sanction any of this shit….Wait how do we make money off it?

And that’s how we’ll now end up with a GaaS game, you want a GaaS game? Because that’s how we get a GaaS games….I actually wouldn’t mind a GaaS game, same thing for Monster Hunter. 😋

Last edited:
Anyone else get a weird graphical glitch on Professor Fig's face anytime you go talk to him?

Also, the game could really use a weapon (spell) wheel. Manually swapping them out every time is a pain.

Other than that, I'm enjoying every minute.

I had the same glitch, but only in two scenes.

Also, without spoiling too much, if you do the main quests you unlock something that deals with the spell wheel problem, pretty early on.

Last edited:

RPS37

I had the same glitch, but only in two scenes.

Also, without spoiling too much, if you do the main quests you unlock something that deals with the spell wheel problem, pretty early on.
Also had the fig graphical glitches.
I really gotta try to mainline this shit for a little bit.
I’m six hours in and level 12. But the game says I’ve explored 1 percent of the map.

Krathoon

I like how an early quest is to kill all the goblins in two camps. Everyone is ok with this.
Also, just kill the poachers.

Scary_Larry

Neo Member
Quick question that I’m sure has been asked before, but having not watched the movies or read the books - is this something to snag?

Game is really intriguing to me.

I think they really nailed magical combat in this - more than really any other game I’ve played personally. Star Wars games should take notes

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
The only thing I’m wondering is how you went 22+ hours with no broom 🤣
Oh shit. I'm level 20 and I'm only 11 hours in. How is that possible

Hahahaha. Mostly by just exploring the castle, finding the field guides and completing the various puzzles within. 25 hours now and I just unlocked the room of requirement. Currently level 20 as well. lol

Last edited by a moderator:

Otre

Banned
Oh boy, cannot wait for the Digital Foundry Analysis

df-triggered.png

funny from the dude that made that sonic frontiers analysis

Link to get in the cesspool. pools open

Last edited:

jaysius

Banned
Oh boy, cannot wait for the Digital Foundry Analysis

df-triggered.png

funny from the dude that made that sonic frontiers analysis

Link to get in the cesspool. pools open
Wait, I really thought that was a duped fake account....

BOY DF used to be respectable.

That's the shit a child at a playground would say, not a professional anything. Fuck I've met janitors that speak better than that.

FUCK DF, it's dead, they just don't know it yet.

I only started reading Harry Potter recently because my g/f was into it growing up in the 90's, and it's quite good, 3 and 6 are the best novels, 5 is a padded pile of mudblood.

To say that it's "children bullshit" is such a low brow take. If you know how to read, the stories are incredibly well crafted for any age, there are few series that are so consistently entertaining.

Last edited:

That's the shit a child at a playground would say, not a professional anything. Fuck I've met janitors that speak better than that.

I only started reading Harry Potter recently because my g/f was into it growing up in the 90's, and it's quite good, 3 and 6 are the best novels, 5 is a padded pile of mudblood.

To say that it's "children bullshit" is such a low brow take. If you know how to read, the stories are incredibly well crafted for any age, there are few series that are so consistently entertaining.

Unfortunately John is prone to making these really outlandish meltdowns from time to time. He suffers from some mental health issues, social media is not good for him.

I dunno how Harry Potter of all things could cause such a meltdown, but here we are...

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member

I only started reading Harry Potter recently because my g/f was into it, and it's quite good, 3 and 6 are the best novels, 5 is a padded pile of mudblood.

I’m reading the books now for the first time. They’re imaginative and charming, brisk reads but with a lot of original worldbuilding. I can see why HP became such a phenomenon across all demographics.

Krathoon

They did a good job at making stuff in the overworld mysterious. I found these blocked off places that have to open somehow.

Krathoon

There is also the tunnel that the Hogwarts Express goes through. It has a sign that says, "Beware of Spiders". I did not go in. I guess something is in there.
The train may actually run through the map. There were people at the station.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

Yes, I've only watched the movies with the kids and not a really big HP fan but this game is great

I was already older than the target audience for these books when they hit (but still young enough to not allow myself to be interested in anything that was deemed below my age group, haha) so, I really know nothing about any of it. Good to hear positive remarks about the gameplay, you never know with these film/book first licensed IPs. I might give it a go in a couple years when it's on sale for $20. The GwaphicsTM in the interior spaces look sharp from what I've seen.

Is it actually a decent game for someone who has no nostalgia or previous fondness for this world or characters?
Definetly, I mean the game is set like 100 years before Harry Potter and can stand well on its own. The environments and world is really well crafted and invokes a sense of wonder, really.

I'm very impressed so far, super enjoyable game. It helps if you like the British feeling though, and hanging out in school as a student.

Cyberpunkd

I’m reading the books now for the first time. They’re imaginative and charming, brisk reads but with a lot of original worldbuilding. I can see why HP became such a phenomenon across all demographics.
Now imagine this was all 25 years ago before social media. Whatever you want to say about JKR she wrote books that were unbelievably easy to read and entertaining at the same time.

I remember queueing for the English release at midnight for the last few books, since the Polish translation took 3-4 months to come out.

Last edited:

zkorejo

The level of detail in Hogwarts Castle.. wow. They knocked it out of the park. Open world games are dime a dozen these days but the magical/wizarding elements in the world makes it so damn unique. Excited to see what other areas are like but I'm quite sure Castle will remain the star of the show.

Was just mindlessly exploring the castle as soon as I got the chance to and stumbled upon the great stairs.. Everything is jaw dropping in there. Tye moving paintings, the magical stamps, the talking statues. Spent like 2 hours just exploring and finding guide pages in the world.

Krathoon

They seemed to change the moving stairs compared to the movies. They just pop out of nowhere.
Come to think of it. They could have the grand staircase lead to a dungeon.

Last edited:
whatever you do, don't tell him that the marvel/dc games are all based on... comic books!...

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm also a big fan of those games and have beaten them all (well, I haven't played Sekiro). And that's precisely what I mean by rewarding challenge. I agree they're not actually that hard. They're certainly not unfair.

So you haven't tried Hard then? I usually go for that since most games made nowadays are insultingly easy on Normal, but maybe not this one?
I haven't tried it on hard yet. I'm still early in the game so maybe it will get easier but I've already died a few times and I expect the game will get more challenging as I learn more spells and get into the story. There is a dark arts duelling club so I guess that will really test your combat skills.

I'd start off on normal and see what you think. You can change difficulty when you want so if it's too easy then bump it up.

Krathoon

The cronies of the wizard bad guy have a special name. Typical Harry Potter silliness. You have these groups with special names.

Security was awful in the 1800s. Students wandered the countryside at midnight.
For how much the books and movies go on about Hogwarts being a safe place it really isn't lol. That place is dangerous as fuck. Detention is either hanging students up on the wall in dark dungeons or making them go into a "forbidden" forest full of angry centaurs, werewolves, and other kinds of creatures.

Trolls can somehow just be sneaked in to the castle so they can wreck the place.

A huge three headed dog is just chilling in a room somewhere and the headteacher is all like don't go to the 3rd floor btw or you'll die.

There is a huge giant snake just cutting about in the fucking plumbing.

One of the most wanted men can sneak into the castle. Another dangerous wizard can transform into a rat and sleep in the dormitories.

For a bit of fun the school organises a competition where students have to steal a dragons egg, swim through a freezing cold lake full of angry merpeople carrying tridents, and put them in a maze with dangerous creatures.

Voldemort, the most dangerous and evil wizard of all time who is literally magic hitler can possess teachers, leave parts of his soul in ordinary items so he can control students, transport students to a creepy graveyard in the middle of nowhere.

And I'm probably missing a lot of things!

Top Bottom