• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hogwarts Legacy |OT| The Prisoners of AskforBan

Raven117

No need to get upset. I'm also enjoying it.

Was just a bit surprised to get a pretty standard AAA open world game after seeing so many people (not just here) hyping it to the moon.
Upset?

Sounds like you just fell for some hype. I had pretty low expectations going in and was pleasantly surprised.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Alright the more I'm playing the game, the more check-box activities it's introducing lol. This was definitely a much better first 15hrs and now it feels like dragging. Typical of open world check box games but ah well, what can you do.

Icej1pC.jpg
6pNO1Ut.jpg
0EeKc9B.jpg
xzEktnu.jpg
a82BFza.jpg
WQJVgAC.jpg
JVDOJQx.jpg
WjkCCzT.jpg
nNcVldK.jpg

Freeman76

Post story spoilet

so i got the cutscene that shows spring but its still winter when i go outside after finishing main quest. Also im not levelling up anymore, the bar is full at 36 but when i gain xp it isnt dinging over. Are these known bugs?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Upgrading the stealth tree to the max and using Disillusionment is extremely OP in taking out entire camps of goblins and Ashwinders in seconds.

Jeeese.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I've got DS5 haptic vibrations working on PC. It's really good. You need to play with the controller wired and you need to turn off any type of DS4Windows and you also need to turn off Playstation Configuration Support in Steam Big Picture mode and make sure the Enable Steam Input is set under the the game (right click on the game, properties > CONTROLLER).

If problems persist you can delete this file and relaunch the game. ...\AppData\Local\Hogwarts Legacy\Saved\pc_info.json
Thanks dude. I was finally able to get my DS to work in this game. Appreciate it.

Is there trigger support in this game? I only noticed haptics.

sojuwarrior

is there a dramatic difference in overall atmosphere/look for graphic vs perf mode on PS5? Would you say it is big enough to sacrifice the frame rate for?

Spokker

22 hours in and still discovering new details.

I was just walking along the shore near the castle and saw some students chilling at a pier. Then suddenly one of those flying horse thingies dives toward the water, catches a fish and then flies away. Soon after a tentacle monster comes out of the water, thrashes about a bit, and then goes back under.

Feels like cool stuff is always happening. Ran into some students who I think were eating some kind of fire breathing candy. Then I was shopping in Hogsmeade and some kids got busted for stealing.

They definitely put a lot of effort into the world feeling alive.

22 hours in and still discovering new details.

I was just walking along the shore near the castle and saw some students chilling at a pier. Then suddenly one of those flying horse thingies dives toward the water, catches a fish and then flies away. Soon after a tentacle monster comes out of the water, thrashes about a bit, and then goes back under.

Feels like cool stuff is always happening. Ran into some students who I think were eating some kind of fire breathing candy. Then I was shopping in Hogsmeade and some kids got busted for stealing.

They definitely put a lot of effort into the world feeling alive.
Sometimes you'll see student flying house themed kites on the front lawn, which I thought was pretty cool.

There's also an interaction between 2 of the sets of armor displayed around the school that cracked me up.

RAIDEN1

Future games in the franchise will be measured up against this, going by what I have seen from the reviews this could be the best Harry Potter game ever released on ANY system..

Gita trying to make the combat look bad so she can gather woke-points.

Let's just shit on a new studio trying its best and achieving something pretty remarkable, because some lady who doesnt even know this game exists gets a bit of the profit. God I hate the fucking twitter-verse.

I'm not sure exactly what you thought she was supposed to do. That's literally what the trolls do if you stand far enough away from them and their HP bar is below a certain percentage. If you move closer to them, then they will start using their charge attack where they actually run or leap towards you.

You can basically only use your basic pew pew attack when the troll AI is in rock throwing mode because as you can see from the video, for some reason the parry window of that particular attack is extremely short. If you attempt to use any actual spells while the troll is doing this, you will get caught in animation lock and cannot parry quickly enough and you'll get hit by the rock. The game forces you to play like this against the trolls when they are stuck in this attack loop.

If the NY Times decides to pull a Wired on this game, they are going to get a lot of backlash. Especially since they literally posted this pro-Rowling opinion piece just today.

Last edited:

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Ok, got it.

The answer to anything that sounds like a complete plot hole is "magic". Great story-telling. Thanks, guys.

I'm not sure exactly what you thought she was supposed to do. That's literally what the trolls do if you stand far enough away from them and their HP bar is below a certain percentage. If you move closer to them, then they will start using their charge attack where they actually run or leap towards you.

You can basically only use your basic pew pew attack when the troll AI is in rock throwing mode because as you can see from the video, for some reason the parry window of that particular attack is extremely short. If you attempt to use any actual spells while the troll is doing this, you will get caught in animation lock and cannot parry quickly enough and you'll get hit by the rock. The game forces you to play like this against the trolls when they are stuck in this attack loop.

Complete and utter nonsense. The person in that video is playing poorly, intentionally I imagine. If she bothered throwing the rock back at the troll, she could have stunned tit and thus opened it up to follow-up ranged attacks where it is most vulnerable. Like the consistent narrative from the early reviews of the game were that the combat was one of the shining points (and it is and doesn't occur frequently enough), but now that the backlash against the game hasn't stunted the games success, activist journalists now are stepping up to the plate and "begrudgingly" playing the game and finding it to be exactly as awful as they knew it would be.

. . .like, if you just don't like the game that's totally fine. But don't throw up a clip of you playing like shit and then use that as a narrative to setup the inevitable "Perhaps if Hogwarts Legacy was a good game with good gameplay we might be able to excuse the clear and present harm it does to so and so's so and so. . ."

MastAndo

If the NY Times decides to pull a Wired on this game, they are going to get a lot of backlash. Especially since they literally posted this pro-Rowling opinion piece just today.
[/URL]
She's not even using R1 to throw back the rocks that are bouncing off her Protego though, or holding it down to Stupefy. She definitely has openings to use spells too. Sure you can win fights like that, but she does seem to be making it look as uninteresting as possible. Bumping up the difficulty is also an option.

It wasn't enough to just have a snowman pop up during winter. He throws a snowball at you if you zap him haha

Exploration isn't just rewarded through loot or some lore that gets dumped into your book, but honestly funny and engaging things that happen around almost every corner.
I know, it’s one of the most impressive things about this game, a crazy amount of tiny little details like this constantly surprise me.

Let's just shit on a new studio trying its best and achieving something pretty remarkable, because some lady who doesnt even know this game exists gets a bit of the profit. God I hate the fucking twitter-verse.

Read her own comments under that video, yeah she’s going to give it a bad review.

Last edited:

It’s even funnier when you think about how I was basically glued to the couch with a completely neutral expression on my face after playing this game for days
i don't care what you say, this honey sounds like just a ton of fun to be around...

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'

Imagine proudly throwing away your journalistic integrity like that over a video game.

MastAndo

I know, it’s one of the most impressive things about this game, a crazy amount of tiny little details like this constantly surprise me.

Read her own comments under that video, yeah she’s going to give it a bad review.

Is that even possible? I thought you still obtained spells even if you failed the mini-game?...unless she meant to say she stopped using new spells. Yeah, either way, I see another Wired review incoming.

Is that even possible? I thought you still obtained spells even if you failed the mini-game?...unless she meant to say she stopped using new spells. Yeah, either way, I see another Wired review incoming.

Well a lot of the spells ask you to fulfill some type of requirement first before you earn them, and many of them aren’t part of the main story so they are optional, but I have loads of fun playing with them. This is nothing new, in most games the majority of abilities or new weapons aren’t required and you can just spam the same thing over and over again, that doesn’t mean that the combat is bad, but it can get boring. I think the combat in this is great if you use a variety of spells and tools at your disposal. But if your intention is to hate, you’ll find reasons to hate.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I can’t put this down. It’s so good.
16 hours in, level 24 and I’ve still not taken to really explore the world. It feels pretty natural to do it on the way to quests.

One thing is that after all these hours, it feels like the game is so tutorializing me and showing new spells and mechanics.

My combat loop is expeliramous+curse, glacier, slice, fire. Ded

Last edited:

Hugare

[/URL]
Look at her tweets, she hates the game

Really bad review incoming.

Will probably nitpick the game to hell and back so she can say that she gave it a bad grade not due to transphobia or anything like that, but because the game is mediocre.

But yeah, fighting trolls is easily the worst part of the gsme so far, for me.
I dont know what to do besides perryng those rock throws and going pew pew.

I'm not far into the game, but them not giving me yet a magic capable of dealing with big enemies kinda suck

Loving it regardless. Just got my first brook, and traversal is amazing.

Dont know if you guys noticed it, but flying close to the ground doesnt spend your broom's "stamina"

Future games in the franchise will be measured up against this, going by what I have seen from the reviews this could be the best Harry Potter game ever released on ANY system..
Oh, easily. Don't care if some other HP game has a higher Metacritic or whatever; this is the hands-down best

Matter-of-fact, future movie/book video game adaptations have just had their bar raised. The last time that happened was, what, GoldenEye?

I can’t put this down. It’s so good.
16 hours in, level 24 and I’ve still not taken to really explore the world. It feels pretty natural to do it on the way to quests.

One thing is that after all these hours, it feels like the game is so tutorializing me and showing new spells and mechanics.

My combat loop is expeliramous+curse, glacier, slice, fire. Ded
You'll still be getting tutorials and unlocking new aspects of the game at hour 30.

Moneal

Look at her tweets, she hates the game

Really bad review incoming.

Will probably nitpick the game to hell and back so she can say that she gave it a bad grade not due to transphobia or anything like that, but because the game is mediocre.

But yeah, fighting trolls is easily the worst part of the gsme so far, for me.
I dont know what to do besides perryng those rock throws and going pew pew.

I'm not far into the game, but them not giving me yet a magic capable of dealing with big enemies kinda suck

Loving it regardless. Just got my first brook, and traversal is amazing.

Dont know if you guys noticed it, but flying close to the ground doesnt spend your broom's "stamina"
Once you get the loom, and have good damage traits on your gear, you do so much more damage and trolls and large enemies are much easier to deal with, usually a freeze and slice and they are dead.

DeaDPo0L84

Pronouns in bio, dismiss them entirely.

Good thing GAF was down for hours, I had the time to really buckle down and clear my first play through.

This game is amazing and will be remembered as setting a new bar for how good licensed content video games can be. It has a million little flaws which show this is Avalanche's first open world and game of a large scale but the high points of the main story really hit those high notes with enthusiasm.

In terms of the original material, the game is like a love letter to the Wizarding World. Some of the gameplay mechanics are a bit sus and the game blatantly cribs from the likes of Assassin's Creed, Elden Ring, and The Witcher 3, but hey if you're going to copy other games, copy the best ones and do it well.

I have some stuff to do tomorrow but after I'm done with that I'm just about ready to start my second play though.

Last edited:
Good thing GAF was down for hours, I had the time to really buckle down and clear my first play through.

This game is amazing and will be remembered as setting a new bar for how good licensed content video games can be. It has a million little flaws which show this is Avalanche's first open world and game of a large scale but the high points of the main story really hit those high notes with enthusiasm.

In terms of the original material, the game is like a love letter to the Wizarding World. Some of the gameplay mechanics are a bit sus and the game blatantly cribs from the likes of Assassin's Creed, Elden Ring, and The Witcher 3, but hey if you're going to copy other games, copy the best ones and do it well.

I have some stuff to do tomorrow but after I'm done with that I'm just about ready to start my second play though.
What in Hogwarts is blatantly cribbed from Elden Ring? Besides "open world" I see almost no similarities.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
Just hit level 34 and finished the main game so to speak.

Was a fantastic journey though not quite on the level of The Witcher 3 or Elden Ring.

I did like the depth in the combat as you learned what spells worked well with each other and special tactics vs certain enemies. Cursing a crowd and annihilating them all with Avada Kedavra was very satisfying.
BWXiTbR.jpg

Name chosen in honour of the absolute triggering this game caused to both camps extremists.

Top Bottom