• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hogwarts Legacy |OT| The Prisoners of AskforBan

Hugare

As someone who never followed Harry Potter, the lore of this game drives me crazy. This is on Earth!?

Normal people are oblivious to magic? There is a huge ass school and towns with everyone doing magic, flying on broomstick, etc. No one ever noticed?

There are dozens of different animal and plant species. No one knows these exist either?

And these people clearly have the power to solve much of the world's problems, but no one does because of "rules"?

Also, these kids go to school full time here starting at 11. They go to potions class, dark arts, etc, etc. When do they learn math, reading, etc? None of that matters? Are there no laws requiring this?

Basically, nothing makes sense. And I'm having a very difficult time buying into the story, because everything I see raises ten more questions on how this could be remotely possible. Why is this franchise so popular?

All that said, this is still a quality game and I'm having fun. But, you won't see me rushing out to read the books or watch the movies.
Its been years since I read the books, but the reason why no one ever notices it is (brace yourself) : magic

There's some magic over the area that covers everything up, something like that.

If you gave me the option to learn math or dark arts, you can bet your ass that I would choose the one that I can learn how to throw people around. But serious answer: maybe they dont need advanced math, chemistry and etc 'cause "fuck how it works, my magic solves everything" kind of mentality?

Read the books. They are legit good, even for a grown up. Never reading one of the books or watching one of the movies, if you are more than 25y old would be wild. Why have you never tried them?

Moneal

As someone who never followed Harry Potter, the lore of this game drives me crazy. This is on Earth!?

Normal people are oblivious to magic? There is a huge ass school and towns with everyone doing magic, flying on broomstick, etc. No one ever noticed?

There are dozens of different animal and plant species. No one knows these exist either?

And these people clearly have the power to solve much of the world's problems, but no one does because of "rules"?

Also, these kids go to school full time here starting at 11. They go to potions class, dark arts, etc, etc. When do they learn math, reading, etc? None of that matters? Are there no laws requiring this?

Basically, nothing makes sense. And I'm having a very difficult time buying into the story, because everything I see raises ten more questions on how this could be remotely possible. Why is this franchise so popular?

All that said, this is still a quality game and I'm having fun. But, you won't see me rushing out to read the books or watch the movies.
Muggles, aka non magic people cant see the school because it has magical protections on it. There are people that change the memories of muggles who experience magic, think magical MIB. Also who would believe someone that said things like magic or so e weird animal or plant exists? Like MIB, those people are interviewed by the fake weird story tabloids you see in grocery stores.

I'm in the same boat but I bought this game because I see it just as a generic fantasy game where you can be a wizard.

Although the first hour of "school" stuff is already testing my patience.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Shit man, this game looks good.,

Hogwarts-Legacy-20230215150918.png

Hogwarts-Legacy-20230215154312.png

I feel like if this had a different setting and was published by Ubisoft, it would get a ton of hate.
I think you're right, but it's very important that Ubi didn't and it's HP. I gave up on Assassin's Creed a long time ago, but I'm all in on this.

One counter I will posit is that this game is way above Ubi games in terms of world detail and NPC encounters. Only games like Witcher 3 and RDmed Dead have done it better, imo

Raven117

10 hours in and my excitement levels are starting to decline.

It has a nice world and the exploration is fun but everything else is just standard open world gameplay mechanics. Sidequest dialogue is mostly trash and the story so far isn't very interesting either. Enjoyable enough for me to keep going but nothing special.

I feel like if this had a different setting and was published by Ubisoft, it would get a ton of hate.
LOL. If this was a different game by a different publisher....it would get a ton of hate. Insightful comment, bruv.

like all open worlds, the strength lies in the world building, characters, and story...While the story isn't super excellent...the world building and vibe are pretty solid. (Yes, W3 and Red Dead are better) Some of the characters are fun. And everything fits well...Yes...It benefits from a strong IP. yeah. so, what? I know Im enjoying it and I'm not some huge Harry Potter fan

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Just did the first trial. Boss felt way to spongy for my taste.

I like the combat but the camera definitely needs improving going forward.

Boneless

How did a toad learn to drive? He has no ears, is it not dangerous that he drives a kart without the ability to hear? Are his legs even long enough to press the gas pedal?

Anywho, switched to hard mode which is a much better challenge, got my ass handed to me a couple of times in cross wand 3 before winning it over.

Just did the first trial. Boss felt way to spongy for my taste.

I like the combat but the camera definitely needs improving going forward.
Yeah there are definitely some beefy health bars in this game. I think they really want you to use ancient magic as much as possible. I suggest prioritizing the talents that increase Ancient Magic build up.

Glacius+Diffindo/Incendo is big damage. Many enemies also have little tricks you can do to make them easier. Using Levioso on a spider while it's digging one-shots it, same for using Depulso on a charging wolf. You can use Levioso on a frog when its mouth is open, then hit it with Diffindo for like 4k damage. If you bait a troll into charging into a wall he gets stunned and takes increased damage. I bet there are a lot more I haven't found as well.

Social

This game gets so unbelievably dull after about 20h. I knew it was coming but I rarely lose the motivation to keep playing a game completely, but I don’t think I can go on after beating the same bunch of knights yet again, even the boss fight was the same. Ugh

Peroroncino

hmmm https://www.reddit.com/user/ArdyArdArdphinn doesn't exist. Where did you get this from?

It got nuked, lots of people on HP sub are reporting they got this message.

It's amazing how the ABCD+ club is all about "anti-bullying" and acceptance, calling others nazis and fascists (unless they agree 100% with them), while blackmailing people into their way of thinking and giving ultimatums.

Not a single drop of self reflection in that woke cesspool is there?

bardfinns reply for what its worth :
Code:
https://www.reddit.com/user/Bardfinn/comments/112y4tn/important_read_this/

Mhm, so let me get this straight, a "bigot" got rejected by a trans person (lmao) and then decided to commit himself to stalker realm... right...

I guess it should be expected that somehow bigotry would be blamed.

Last edited:
After 15 hours finally unlocked lockpicking, took my sweet time exploring the world and doing side stuff. Wish the Merlin trials were more thoughtful/unique. Wish there was more NPC chatter, more often than not it's a bunch of people standing around in dead silence. Wish there was more enemy variety.

Still absolutely in love with the game though, early thoughts of it being an early GOTY contender remain. Can it touch the sheer majesty and perfection of something like Elden Ring? No, not even close lol. There is a lot of potential going forward though and what *is* here is at times pretty damn impressive, let's see how I feel in another 10-20 hours.

It got nuked, lots of people on HP sub are reporting they got this message.

It's amazing how the ABCD+ club is all about "anti-bullying" and acceptance, calling others nazis and fascists (unless they agree 100% with them), while blackmailing people into their way of thinking and giving ultimatums.

Not a single drop of self reflection in that woke cesspool is there?

Mhm, so let me get this straight, a "bigot" got rejected by a trans person (lmao) and then decided to commit himself to stalker realm... right...

I guess it should be expected that somehow bigotry would be blamed.
Yep, I don't put much faith in any of that being true either. Seems more like when you catch someone doing something bad and theyre stammering out an excuse.

ABeezy1388

Wow, anyone find the chest in a tight little nook on the hogwarts grounds tucked away right by the herbology wing? Every time I go by it I “fall through” the floor and am in a bottomless cloudy glitched area and have to close the game. Ridic lol

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

Muggles seeing magic are dealt with by the Ministry of Magic. Memory erasing, silencing, buying them out, etc. The game does NOT explain ANY of that, so I understand your confusion. The books do, however, explain how this world works and gives (usually) great explanations for any problems.

Wow, anyone find the chest in a tight little nook on the hogwarts grounds tucked away right by the herbology wing? Every time I go by it I “fall through” the floor and am in a bottomless cloudy glitched area and have to close the game. Ridic lol
Happened to me once on one of hogwarts terraces. Buying games when they release is a love/hate relationship for me, I hate all the bugs, but love being onboard the hypetrain.

Did you try using your broom? You can summon it midair.

ABeezy1388

Happened to me once on one of hogwarts terraces. Buying games when they release is a love/hate relationship for me, I hate all the bugs, but love being onboard the hypetrain.

Yeah no way I could not get this game at release lol! Only issue I’ve encountered besides that is a few random crashes (PS5).

Did you try using your broom? You can summon it midair.

Oh wow didn’t realize you could do that! I managed to get it to work normally but going to keep this in mind for the future!

zkorejo

Absolutely loving this game. I go in to have a short session and 4-5 hours pass by. I'm absolutely loving the broom flying. So damn good to hover around ground level and take off when wolves attack.

Assignments don't feel like a chore yet to me. They're fun, let's you learn different things. I don't like how I had the recipe but couldn't grow one of the seeds even when it says it can be grown in a small pot. It's just not selectable. I assumed it's because of the story missions so I progressed a little.

Idk why I'm overlevelled by 6 levels already I have not even explored the world map all that much. Yesterday I did though, cleared a few enemy campsites, cleared the spider area, helped the Centaurus take on poachers (not did they need any help, just felt so badass in my black cape on a broom).

First season change and it's autumn now and the color of trees and world has changed so much. I dare say it looks even better now.

Last edited:

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I'm really enjoying this game, but after taking a significant detour to do a lot of side quests, I'm starting to get burnout from the side quests. Time to go back to the main story. I'm a little disappointed that they put all this stuff in the game like Merlin Trials and other stuff, but collecting just a portion of it is all that's needed to fulfill the task requirements and quest requirements. So there's all this remaining stuff out there to collect that has no real purpose other than trophies. What shines is the atmosphere, the world, the gameplay mechanics and how there's so many nooks and crannies to explore.

The worst thing about the game: the gear. I don't like when games have a boatload of same-y gear that's interchangeable no matter what it is. I'd much rather have fewer unique pieces of gear that gives you real advantages to weigh for combat and stuff. Here it's just blow through all the chests, equip the next thing with the highest rating and sell the old stuff.

Last edited:

mxbison

LOL. If this was a different game by a different publisher....it would get a ton of hate. Insightful comment, bruv.

like all open worlds, the strength lies in the world building, characters, and story...While the story isn't super excellent...the world building and vibe are pretty solid. (Yes, W3 and Red Dead are better) Some of the characters are fun. And everything fits well...Yes...It benefits from a strong IP. yeah. so, what? I know Im enjoying it and I'm not some huge Harry Potter fan

No need to get upset. I'm also enjoying it.

Was just a bit surprised to get a pretty standard AAA open world game after seeing so many people (not just here) hyping it to the moon.

Last edited:

ElRenoRaven

So never been a Harry Potter fan but recently decided to watch the movies and bought this game for the hell of it since I had a ton of points on my Playstation card. Hence I used those to get free PSN cards. So having spent nothing even if it sucked I'm out nothing. Well about 11 hours in and I haven't made it far. I've spent so much time collecting things. Shit I don't even have my broom yet. That said. I'm actually enjoying the hell out of the game. With that one tweak in accesibility to the aiming combat is fun. Also kind of interested in this story and where it's going.

I can see how some people might dislike the insane amount of stuff to collect. Me I'm old school and love it. I will also agree that inventory system needs some work. Spell setup sucked ass till I finally got talents and was able to set up multiple groups of spells. Now it's not bad. Honestly should have been like that from the start I feel. Also I wish it was a bit easier to find the side quests. Some are spoon fed to you yes. But there are a couple I'd probably never see if I wasn't always just running around the school like a mad man. I've fast traveled maybe twice in the game So luckily I have run into them.

Anyway between watching the movies minus final two which I'm about to go watch and now playing this game I really am starting to like the universe of Harry Potter.

I will also agree that inventory system needs some work. Spell setup sucked ass till I finally got talents and was able to set up multiple groups of spells. Now it's not bad. Honestly should have been like that from the start I feel. Also I wish it was a bit easier to find the side quests. Some are spoon fed to you yes. But there are a couple I'd probably never see if I wasn't always just running around the school like a mad man. I've fast traveled maybe twice in the game So luckily I have run into them.

All side quests you don't have are shown on the map as a dark gray shield. Also each map (Hogwarts, Hogsmeade, or World Map) will show a black flag to indicate if there's an available side quest there. Every separate section of Hogwarts will also do this.

Moriah20

After 40 hours of gameplay and completing most of everything in the game...

I think overall it's a good game, very good even - it has a lot of things to love. The world itself, naturally - especially if you like HP lore, especially Hogwarts itself. There's tons of little quirks, secrets and fun references dotted around every inch of it. You can really tell that the developers treated this as a proper passion project, I've never used fast travel inside the actual building because I love just going around, and as you advance in the game you can solve more and more of the random puzzles, which is great fun too.

I also think the combat is very solid. It's not particularly complex or deep but it has a very good feel to it. I love the animations and the spells are satisfying to use, easy to create combos to more effectively deal with the enemies. Even after 40 hours I'm not particularly bored of it, so in that regard it's definitely done better than vast majority of open world games, even some that I overall like more.

Also Sebastian's character quest chain in particular is really good and probably the highlight of the game for me narratively. There's actually some really fun side quests too - my favorite is "Minding your own business" ... but apparently its Playstation exclusive? What a shame that...

All in all, in general there's a lot of positive things to say. The presentation is fantastic, the gameplay feels good - I love the broom for navigation also, actually way prefer it to the mount - and the game, despite being a AAA super production, doesnt feel corporate in a way so many western super hyped AAA games do nowadays.

That being said, I do have a couple of disappointments with the game and a few minor issues.

- I wish the game leaned more heavily into the school sim aspect. Or at least pretend that you're a regular student for a bit longer. Beyond one class per subject, there's only tasks which is basically random open world stuff, and some cutscenes. It seems that originally the devs might have planned curfew also, but scrapped it - there's 2 quests that force you to stealth around at night, but outside of them you can run around the school anytime. I know that not everyone likes stealth, but I do think that curfew would've made stealth make more sense, and also they could've made more side quests revolve around night time hijinks at the school.
- The choice of your house should have a bigger impact. As it stands - slightly different dialogue here and there and one quest that's completely different, and that's about it. I know it's tons of work, but I really wish there were at least certain character quests chains that were exclusive to each house. It provides more reason to replay.
- The gear system is too basic, and gets too tedious. Some QoL updates would be nice, like making it so that instead of changing the cosmetic look of each gear piece, you can just do it on the gear slots themselves - because in this game you can find stronger stuff pretty much every 5 mins, so having to equip it and then also change its look gets a little annoying to do constantly. Also, marking stuff as junk, and having a sell all junk button at traders.... Also I get that merlin trials expand your inventory but I really think the game should be more generous about it to boot.
- Plus, I think the loot is too common. It makes rewards often feel underwhelming because you are constantly finding gear pieces anyway. Make the gear less common and when they're given as rewards, they'll feel more special.
- The game's menu system is not great. It's too slow - for example when you're using the shoulder buttons to switch menus, instead of going as fast as you press, every menu animation is played out in full before you get to the next one. Sure, it's like, I dunno, 150ms per menu, but considering how often you need to be opening it up, it gets a bit tedious. The map system is also a little weird, the lack of different colours on the icons make it hard to immediately see things you want, and the 3 different maps-- while they make sense, i wish they were automatic, in a sense that if you hover over hogwarts or hogsmeade it just pops up their specific maps. Basically, this is nitpicking, but lenghty open world games with tons of side shit need to have fast menus.

But my main disappointment is the main story itself. Outside of the Sebastian character questline, the game's story is pretty unremarkable until the last couple of hours. It starts strong, but then it treads water for a long time. It doesn't really break the game for me though, as to be honest, the world and lore itself is brilliant enough to carry the game.

So yeah, I have greatly enjoyed my time with the game and hope that it gets some meaty expansions as it feels there's plenty of room for those. Quidditch would also be nice if the devs can make it actually a fun activity.

Tams

Ok, got it.

The answer to anything that sounds like a complete plot hole is "magic". Great story-telling. Thanks, guys.

You're complaining about magic in a franchise that is quite literally all about magic.

Next are you going to complain about there not being ruins, fossils, skeletons, etc. from the time of Lord of the Rings? Or that no one has seen or recorded a 'doctor' travelling through time and space in a 1960s police box? Or that the Earth hasn't been blown up to make way for intergalactic highway construction project for a hyperspace express route?

It's UE4.

Finally did the quest which involved using Polyjuice Potion and it was fucking hilarious. Simon Pegg was clearly having the time of his life voicing this relatively small role. After that, going into the storybook section that looked like I was inside a manga and wielding the Deathly Hallows was just a cherry on top.

Then they did a little bit of Elden Ring by forcing me to get off my broom and actually traverse a short open world dungeon to reach the next area I had to get to for the story. That was pretty cool and enjoyable. Instead of just letting me fly right to the place, I had to fight my way through the mine to go under the mountains and reach the other side.

BFIB

Finally got an order in to Amazon for the PS5 version. Amazon's delivery date was over two weeks for me, and no stores within 100 miles have had this in stock since launch. Very odd.

I don't watch streamers, but I'm really liking this chick.

Makes a good point, the kinda of people that PM spoilers, harass people playing the game, associate playing the game with being a nazi, all seem like they have some form of narcissistic personality disorder, likely borderline personality disorder. The manipulation, narcissism, anger, self-righteousness... it's clear as day.

noomi

So no true dualsense support for PC, eh?

Kind of bummed about that as I really want those features while playing through the game. Anyone think they'll add native support at some point?

So no true dualsense support for PC, eh?

Kind of bummed about that as I really want those features while playing through the game. Anyone think they'll add native support at some point?
they just added it to Gotham Knights, so they might add to HL later.

Top Bottom