• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hogwarts Legacy | Review Thread

apowhungo

not a potter fan but this does look great. i might buy it just to spite the REEEEs

Suck My Dick GIF

0neAnd0nly

this's good to hear. destructoid's probably my most trusted review site. which's why i found this 'statement' to be pretty disappointing...

I know the state of gaming journalism involving this game has been… something… but if you take a step back and read it - it seems pretty inoffensive and probably the least “preachy” of any of the major sites.

But yeah I understand. Do know though he is, at least several years ago, a legit good dude!

Last edited:
destructoid's attempt at 'diplomacy':

https://www.destructoid.com/a-note-on-hogwarts-legacy-destructoid-coverage-jk-rowling/

smh. when do these 'concerned' folks come to accept the fact that the woke simply don't do 'diplomacy'? that's it's their way or the highway?...
It hurts, it really hurts as someone who wants to see a fully progressive and liberal society to see people who are supposedly ‘Allies’ that just can’t forgive a slight or argue a counter point.

Sorry for being slightly political here but I’m about as left as it gets, and most of the shit I’m seeing over this game is fucking ridiculous. And especially over JK Rowling’s comments: controversial maybe but evil? Inhumane? Hell is it even offensive? Did anybody bother to read any of it before they jumped to the bandwagon?

Last edited:
I know the state of gaming journalism involving this game has been… something… but if you take a step back and read it - it seems pretty inoffensive and probably the least “preachy” of any of the major sites.

But yeah I understand. Do know though he is, at least several years ago, a legit good dude!
it's not the statement itself that bothered me. it's the ongoing, doomed-to-fail attempt by some fair-minded individuals to attempt to reason with &/or meet these wokester's halfway. because, as they've very unapologetically made very clear for quite some time now, it's just so damned pointless an exercise in futility...

Kacho

Everyone will be there soon, and probably are there in OT. Game looks to have year long conversational legs and will still be hot topic at GOTY time.

You're right though. Game deserves more attention than lunatics. But I also think some of us who remember what those people did on and to this board are just enjoying the end result. EL was the only one who they defamed and attacked financially. But the people who started that place ruined a lot of good times for older members here based on bullshit. And banned (from here on their way out) who knows how many of us for not bending the knee to their false gods. Can't help but enjoy watching the bill come due.

Also:

Holy shit former prominent REEEERS are beginning to turn on REEE. This is outstanding. LMAO

QUICK what does Shinobi think? Hahahaha

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
It hurts, it really hurts as someone who wants to see a fully progressive and liberal society to see people who are supposedly ‘Allies’ that just can’t forgive a slight or argue a counter point.

Sorry for being slightly political here but I’m about as left as it gets, and most of the shit I’m seeing over this game is fucking ridiculous. And especially over JK Rowling’s comments: controversial maybe but evil? Inhumane? Hell is it even offensive? Did anybody bother to read it before they jumped to the bandwagon?

I 1,000% agree with you!!! I disliked a decent amount of her trans comments, but she's not evil. Plus she has nothing to do with this game. But there's crazy people on all political sides. And we are seeing the crazies on the left here.

laynelane

cormack12 cormack12

This user bought the Digital Deluxe version for my daughter (Madalyn) and myself. I can’t thank him enough. And thanks to everyone else that said they would help as well. I can’t express my gratitude enough.

We got the PS5 version. She has yet to play on the PS5, so this will be her first game on it. She normally plays on her switch, her tablet or my Series X. I figured she’d get a kick out of the dualsense features.

Thanks again cormack12 cormack12

I hope she has a wonderful time with the game. And kudos to cormack12 cormack12 for making a kid's wish come true.

I immediately knew this was the transgender because their voice is legit one of the manliest in the game, lulz.

Also - one of the female teachers is lesbian. I know this because she goes out her way to say she has a wife. Which is of course the only way you will ever learn this and of course only the gay character has to say they have a same-sex partner but hey, representation for the win!

8R6DzaVjGUODEE7TZ6YnElqhxc0m__dWP-APAqFsdbc.jpg
10/10

Unrivaled18

Neo Member
Thread on the other site is still closed. Imagine banning even mentioning what could end up being the game of the year.

All this over Rowling killing transgender people (when she actually said she supports them).

Last edited:

laynelane

What is hilarious is no matter how much they bend the knee to the psychopaths at REEEE it’s only a matter of time before those lunatics come for you too. You’d think these douchebags would learn.

I like that this person believes that Era has only now become "off the rails" and "moderation is some real crazy echo chamber shit now". For those of us that have been paying attention; it's same shit, different day.

FunkMiller

Gold Member

'Oppression' = some angry tweets about how the term woman is being eradicated, about how trans rights impinge on women's rights, and about how human biology cannot be ignored.

None of them will get what they want, until they start to engage in good faith with women who are raising these entirely understandable concerns. There is an amicable solution here, but it requires biological males to make some concessions.

anothertech

How exactly is JK oppressing people? Proof please

She created hundreds of jobs for portkey games
Haven't you heard? Science is now an oppressing regime. Telling men they do not have a uterus is = to murder.

Literally Saving hundreds of women and lobbying to keep men convicted of rape out of womens prisons makes her the worst kind of tyrant.

Kumomeme

The developer has done everything in their might to create a game to cater both sides of the argument surrounding trans people.

there is no 'both' side for those community of people. its like how hivemind at that that other site operated. it is one of finest example. it is either choose their side, or gtfo.

want to be neutral? nah. same. only option you have is their side only. even if you just breathing. all of this under pretence of 'freedom of speech'. thats how they operated. thats how also other site operated. thats why its looks like there is many of them. simply because they remove everyone else out due to insane insecurities. thats why they always 'afraid'. because the loud 'vocal' is merely a fake illusion.

Last edited:

RafterXL

The most ironic part about people freaking out over the JKR non-issue is that Hogwart's Legacy has the single best character creator for black people I've ever seen. It also has not only a trans character but a lesbian. It also has the most racially diverse cast of characters of ANY game I can recall. These are all things that these same people whine about wanting to see in gaming all the time, here they have it on a silver platter, and they are still sperging out about invented Twitter narratives.

Yoboman

Sorry for being slightly political here but I’m about as left as it gets, and most of the shit I’m seeing over this game is fucking ridiculous. And especially over JK Rowling’s comments: controversial maybe but evil? Inhumane? Hell is it even offensive? Did anybody bother to read any of it before they jumped to the bandwagon?
I've just come to accept that anybody who engages in culture wars is dumb as a brick, on both sides.

FunkMiller

Gold Member

We've sadly reached a point where its more important to show that you are part of a tribe than it is to engage with reality. This is something both sides of politics are equally guilty of. Long gone are the days when people would actually look into something properly, before forming an opinion. Confirmation bias is so strong, thanks to social media bullshittery. No one actually goes and looks at what JK Rowling has said. They just believe what others tell them she said. I've repeatedly asked people on multiple platforms to show me clear evidence of her transphobia - and I never get a response. Because what she said is not transphobic. But it does disagree with what some trans people think.

And these days, being in disagreement = being a nazi terf cunt who deserves to die. It's absolutely horrific, stupid, counter productive, and wrong.

Last edited:
The most ironic part about people freaking out over the JKR non-issue is that Hogwart's Legacy has the single best character creator for black people I've ever seen. It also has not only a trans character but a lesbian. It also has the most racially diverse cast of characters of ANY game I can recall. These are all things that these same people whine about wanting to see in gaming all the time, here they have it on a silver platter, and they are still sperging out about invented Twitter narratives.
The lighting for the black characters especially with the hair is absolutely amazing (at least in fidelity mode). I’d actually say the curly hairstyles looks a lot more natural than the I guess you could say the normal white-guy straight hair, which actually looks a bit off. When it’s almost always they other way around in every other game.

That curly hair has some damn magic going on

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
"oppression" my black arse.

Nobody is forcing these clowns to have purple hair, pronouns and all the other vapid meaningless crap they attach their identities to.

Just be normal. Contribute to society in a positive way, it will make you feel better. Is it that hard?

The world has no problems whatsoever if are at the point that we consider this bullshit "oppression".

Congratulations, Planet Earth. We have created a paradise.

angel heaven GIF

the extraordinary success of this game goes a long way in clarifying something that the main stream media, & several western governments, have been going out of their way attempting to convince us of, which's the idea that it's the vast majority of us who support both wokeism & the trans extremists, & it's a fringe, fanatical minority that don't. because it's quite obvious, at this point, that, even had this ever actually been true (which i'm pretty sure it never was), it most definitely no longer is...

Last edited:
The lighting for the black characters especially with the hair is absolutely amazing (at least in fidelity mode). I’d actually say the curly hairstyles looks a lot more natural than the I guess you could say the normal white-guy straight hair, which actually looks a bit off. When it’s almost always they other way around in every other game.

Yeah, and that curly hair style looks exactly like my hair does in reality. Works perfectly.

Otre

Banned
They say spamming the TransgenderPride emote during the streams of this game on twitch chat will reduce the 41%. Do your part.

Topher

Gold Member
These people are so fucking fake. Polygon refused to review the game but they have a dozens articles in the past few days explaining mechanics, puzzles, choice, etc. ? Like if you're protesting Hogwart's Legacy, why do you keep writing articles about things you wouldn't know without playing?

Olivia Taylor Dudley.

Xaero Gravity Xaero Gravity there you go

These people are so fucking fake. Polygon refused to review the game but they have a dozens articles in the past few days explaining mechanics, puzzles, choice, etc. ? Like if you're protesting Hogwart's Legacy, why do you keep writing articles about things you wouldn't know without playing?...
actively contributing to the hype surrounding a game that, in all good conscience, you'll either never play, or wait & play a used copy (surreptitiously) so you won't be supporting the developer, does indeed require a certain unique group of cognitively dissonant individuals...

Last edited:

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
I didn't want to derail the OT with this reply to your post there, so I'm whacking it here instead:

JK sucks but this game is pretty fun anyways.

Why does JK suck? As FunkMiller FunkMiller asked in one of the Hogwarts threads, what exactly did JK say that is worthy of the ReE-Brigade trying to destroy her over?

This is the tweet that started it all:

And good on her for staying firm against those arseholes (unlike a lot of her 'friends' and people she helped turn into household names):

The idea that women like me, who’ve been empathetic to trans people for decades, feeling kinship because they’re vulnerable in the same way as women—i.e., to male violence—‘hate’ trans people because they think sex is real and has lived consequences—is a nonsense.”

She continued, “I respect every trans person’s right to live any way that feels authentic and comfortable to them. I’d march with you if you were discriminated against on the basis of being trans. At the same time, my life has been shaped by being female. I do not believe it’s hateful to say so.”

Last edited:
I like that this person believes that Era has only now become "off the rails" and "moderation is some real crazy echo chamber shit now". For those of us that have been paying attention; it's same shit, different day.
Yep it’s why I asked to be banned off the site. Going on there just made me angry. And I’m left as fuck. It’s hilarious to me they think Neogaf as a forum is just as bad but on the right side of things - are there homophobic sentiments here? Sure. But there’s the opposite too. And no one gets outright banned unless they are particularly outwardly egregious in their biases.

I couldn’t even make my character pale enough to match my pasty ass hs skin. It’s like the reverse of every game creator in history that made white the default. And frankly should be celebrated for that.

Top Bottom