• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Homeworld Remastered Details + Voting on Mothership Replica for Collector's Edition

http://www.homeworldremastered.com/

Gearbox put together some more details on how the Homeworld remasters are going to be released. I'm not sure how much of this wasn't already known but here it is.

Crafted with the assistance and guidance of the original creators as well as the help of a passionate fan community, Homeworld Remastered Collection introduces Relic's acclaimed space strategy games Homeworld and Homeworld 2 to modern players and operating systems using the latest advances in graphics rendering technology. Homeworld Remastered Collection includes updated high-res textures and models, new graphical effects, and support for HD, UHD, and 4K resolutions. Homeworld’s original audio and video artists have also recreated cinematic scenes in beautiful high fidelity.

Homeworld Remastered Collection uses Homeworld and Homeworld 2’s original source audio to create a stunning new mix of effects and music. On top of that, multiplayer for both games has been combined into one centralized mode that will allow you to interact with other players like never before. This collection also includes archival versions of Homeworld Classic and Homeworld 2 Classic, preserving the purest form of the original releases with compatibility for modern operating systems.

They also unveiled the collectors edition of the remaster that, tentatively, includes "an art book, game manual, key chain, and game codes". Voting has also started on what type of mothership replica will come with this version of the game.

ce_spread.png

6”, die cast zinc alloy Mothership replica with brushed metal finish. Includes stand.
Estimated delivery date for physical items: Early Autumn, 2014
Estimated price for Collector’s Edition with this replica: $75

ship_replica_6in.png

12”, hand decorated, molded ABS resin Mothership with LED lights. Includes stand and USB/AC power cable.
Estimated delivery date for physical items: Early Autumn, 2014
Estimated price for Collector’s Edition with this replica: $100

ship_replica_12in.png

I'm not sure about the ship replica but, depending on it's size, a physical artbook for Homeworld is a very tempting proposition.

epmode

Needs retailer exclusive DLC to go along with the cat helmet.

Oh Homeworld, I can't stay mad at you.

Miker

Oh, this will have both Homeworld 1 and 2? Awesome. I never tried the second. I hope they're priced right, but they can probably get away with charging more because it's remastered and not just a straight port.

Voted for the die-cast model, mostly because it was cheaper and less likely to look like crap. But really I'd rather they drop the model entirely and just do the artbook and assorted printed material.

Maulik

In for the 12 inch but especially if the mothership was able to house the other physical items inside of it.

Also, what you guys think based on this pricing that the digital only versions will go for?

Demigod Mac

Now that I think of it, Cataclysm would make a good DLC pack for this.

But are there any roadblocks to that happening, like legal issues or lost source code?

Struggled to play this when it first came out, probably because I was an idiot.

I am just an old fool now... but I will play it. And I will finish it. This time.

Now that I think of it, Cataclysm would make a good DLC pack for this.

But are there any roadblocks to that happening, like legal issues or lost source code?

Cataclysm wasn't included in the sale of the HW IP for some reason, since the other two games were missing their source code (Gearbox had to go around asking the old devs and pieced it back together) I'd expect the same with Cataclysm which was made by Barking Dog Studios not Relic.

Luckily my UK copy still works on my Win 7 PC (just finished a Hard mode playthrough) once I disabled the start up AVIs which crash the game and having to play it in 4:3. EDIT and DLed the patch

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
What, I thought this came with Cataclysm :(

Gearbox has had absolutely zero luck finding any source material for Cataclysm. I've been saying it should put up a "Help us find Cataclysm" website as surely somebody somewhere knows someone who has something.

Cataclysm wasn't included in the sale of the HW IP for some reason, since the other two games were missing their source code I'd expect the same with Cataclysm which was made by Barking Dog Studios not Relic.

Cataclysm was included in the sale; it's just that the source assets are long gone. Saying Barking Dog (well, R* now) owns Cataclysm is like saying Gearbox owns the Half-Life expansions. ;)

Gearbox has had absolutely zero luck finding any source material for Cataclysm. I've been saying it should put up a "Help us find Cataclysm" website as surely somebody somewhere knows someone who has something.

Cataclysm was included in the sale; it's just that the source assets are long gone.

That's both good and bad news. I wonder why news reporters left the game out when listing what was going up on the THQ auction

Hopefully in the future someone finds some source code stashed away in their attic so it can be remastered.

Cataclysm was included in the sale; it's just that the source assets are long gone. Saying Barking Dog (well, R* now) owns Cataclysm is like saying Gearbox owns the Half-Life expansions. ;)

Yeah I didn't think Barking Dog owned Cataclysm, I just assumed it would be lost in limbo or with whoever sold off THQ's assets.

JaseC

That's both good and bad news. I wonder why news reporters left the game out when listing what was going up on the THQ auction

Most sites just focused on reporting that Gearbox had obtained "IP rights" rather than diving into what this actually meant.

Hopefully in the future someone finds some source code stashed away in their attic so it can be remastered.

It's frustrating how preservation is always an afterthought in an emerging industry.

DocSeuss

No One Lives Forever 1, 2, SWAT 4 and Aliens vs Predator 2 are now the only games left on my wishlist of "games that I want to see brought to Steam."

The rest (including Thief games, System Shock, etc) have all released.

It's frustrating how preservation is always an afterthought in an emerging industry.

I agree, I wonder how many games like HWC and the Panzer Dragoons are lost this way.

However I wonder how easy it is to release a game without the source code? Surely if emulator devs can put out games on PSXe and Dolphin then the industry could do the same.

DocSeuss

I agree, I wonder how many games like HWC and the Panzer Dragoons are lost this way.

However I wonder how easy it is to release a game without the source code? Surely if emulator devs can put out games on PSXe and Dolphin then the industry could do the same.

Apparently, Age of Empires is lost. I know for sure that the original 3D models and stuff for the sprites were lost for Age of Empires 2. Not 100% sure on the first game as well, but it seems like that's the case.

JaseC

I'd say the problem is that if Gearbox were to just re-release Cataclysm as-is there's no way for it to ensure system compatibility.

Apparently, Age of Empires is lost. I know for sure that the original 3D models and stuff for the sprites were lost for Age of Empires 2. Not 100% sure on the first game as well, but it seems like that's the case.

Yeah, when Age 2 HD was announced I feared that Age HD was skipped due to too many if not all of the source assets being lost to time; AoM's impending re-release apparently confirms as much. It's a damn shame, too, as I absolutely adore Rise of Rome.

Ogimachi

I'll wait until it's available in a humble bundle. I really want to play this game, but I won't give a penny to Gearbox.

JaseC

The bundle comes with the original versions (as well as the remastered versions), doesn't it?

The physical CE does but the two flavours are being released separately on the digital side, IIRC. There may be a bundle that includes both, though.

I'd say the problem is that if Gearbox were to just re-release Cataclysm as-is there's no way for it to ensure system compatibility.

Yeah, when Age 2 HD was announced I feared that Age HD was skipped due to too many if not all of the source assets being lost to time; AoM's impending re-release apparently confirms as much. It's a damn shame, too, as I absolutely adore Rise of Rome.
strange, i always assumed it was possible to get it somehow. cant they get a disk of it and see the files,etc?

Phil4000

Feels great to see old classic PC franchises getting much deserved attention again after all these years... PC gaming is back and bigger than ever!!
Im_back_baby.png

DarkSiegmeyer

Neo Member
I want that 12"... but only if it's not crap. I've been burned before on models like that, and if they take any shortcuts with it, it's not worth the price. I'd like to be pleasantly surprised though.

And totally seconded on getting the soundtrack on vinyl... That'd be lovely.

DBT85

Don't much care for the extra bits(never do), but the games will be mine. So mine.

I'll never forget those cutscenes/voiceovers/other sound.

Or the low whuuuuummmmm when you went from gameplay to the scripted story bits.

Jackpot

Banned
Still no pictures makes me worried. Is this no more than your typical GOG re-release (minus the new cinematics of course)?

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?

I assume dumping models and textures, audio and custscenes off a retail disk isn't an issue, and the engine should be the same as Homeworld's.

So that leaves only scenario and AI programming that would need to be rebuilt from scratch, am I right?

Top Bottom