• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Homeworld Remastered Details + Voting on Mothership Replica for Collector's Edition

TheTrain

There certainly hasn't been a flood of images and news about HW:RM. That said, there are a few images that I think people don't seem to be aware of (in the Battleborn 'sneak peak' thread?) - from this month's Game Informer (Sept 2014). Go pick a copy up - or get it online, digital. Those pics are pretty recent. The super-fan will take those things apart pixel by pixel and glean all sorts of details (and sometimes it's just creepy how much you guys notice...). Is there a lot more to show? Yup. So much! But I can't speak to when we'll do that, how, etc. Not my department - I just code stuff and help make pretty pictures Take heart, we _are_ working, very hard - and nobody on this project is dispassionate about the end product.

http://forums.gearboxsoftware.com/showpost.php?p=5016930&postcount=102

Demigod Mac

Some new details from PAX Prime:

* They're doing way more than they originally planned; at first it was going to be just upgraded textures and models but they're now giving it a massive graphics overhaul across the board, including a new rendering engine.

* Because of this, release date is "when it's done"

* They're redoing the UI (no specific details yet) but they said it would be an improvement.

* Audio (including music) is being remastered. They gave a brief sample of the narrator and the scratchyness of the original is gone; sounds a lot cleaner now.

* Cutscenes are being re-drawn in HD. They did a side by side compare and it looks really nice.

* US pre-orders on the Mothership model are pretty much sold out; international pre-orders are coming soon.

* They stressed that they realize how treasured this franchise is and they're determined to get it right.

Part of me likes the idea of expanding the scope of the remaster and can't wait for the sumptuous HD visuals and the artbook and manual that'll come with my collectors edition.

Part of me doesn't trust Gearbox with any of this and wants them to just release the originals on GOG/Steam now so we can avoid being disappointed two years from now when the whole project falls apart/turns into a pile of shit.

Wow, don't know how this slipped under my radar!

Just replayed through Homeworld late last year, such an amazing game. I will be donw with this bad boy!

DBT85

* They're doing way more than they originally planned; at first it was going to be just upgraded textures and models but they're now giving it a massive graphics overhaul across the board, including a new rendering engine.

* They're redoing the UI (no specific details yet) but they said it would be an improvement.

* Audio (including music) is being remastered. They gave a brief sample of the narrator and the scratchyness of the original is gone; sounds a lot cleaner now.

* Cutscenes are being re-drawn in HD. They did a side by side compare and it looks really nice.

* US pre-orders on the Mothership model are pretty much sold out; international pre-orders are coming soon.

* They stressed that they realize how treasured this franchise is and they're determined to get it right.

Thanks for the info. Very much looking forward to this when it's done.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

There's still no ETA on the original releases? It's clear that Cataclysm isn't happening, but I still think Gearbox should put up a website or something appealing for help in tracking down source data. Somebody somewhere has to have something.

It's good that a whole lot of ppl will get the chance to play these games since they are critically underrated.

Imo these games could show modern game designers a thing or two about minimal but effective storytelling and film like cinematography, especially the Return to Kharak mission in the first game.

DBT85

I think I can get used to the new cutscenes, but really would like the original style. Include both and have a menu toggle.

Lime

I have tremendous respect for how much love and work they are putting into this product. As long as the original art and cutscenes and audio are available in the original version, everything will be a possible cherry on top.

Yarbskoo

Not sure how I feel about the remastered cutscenes. I appreciate less compressed audio, but the cutscenes have lost their hand drawn feel. I don't hate it, and to be honest, it's not really that big of a change, but I kind of wish they had tried a little harder to replicate the style of the original scenes.

The scene that matters more to me is the Mothership launch. If they can impress me with that, I'm more than fine with the slight change in direction for the prerendered scenes.

Lime

Not sure how I feel about the remastered cutscenes. I appreciate less compressed audio, but the cutscenes have lost their hand drawn feel. I don't hate it, and to be honest, it's not really that big of a change, but I kind of wish they had tried a little harder to replicate the style of the original scenes.

The scene that matters more to me is the Mothership launch. If they can impress me with that, I'm more than fine with the slight change in direction for the prerendered scenes.

You must be misrememvering. Mothership launch in both 1 and 2 is ingame, not animated cutscenes.

Cutscenes look nice, but still hoping for some in-depth gameplay soon, as well as a spring 2015 release date or sooner. I need that mothership on my desk!

bigf00t

Just preordered on Amazon.ca. I'm really excited for this, since Homeworld was the first PC game I ever bought. I'll have finally come full circle...

Yarbskoo

You must be misrememvering. Mothership launch in both 1 and 2 is ingame, not animated cutscenes.

No, what I was trying to say is that as long as the in-engine sequences look good, I'm more than fine with playing the remastered version, even if I don't necessarily agree with the changes made to the animated scenes.

If not, I'll play in classic mode, or just forgo the Remastered Edition altogether and play the copy I own, since I have it running on my Win 8.1 64-bit system already.

Can't say much about Homeworld 2, I don't have a copy and have never played it, which makes me more inclined to want to get the Remastered Edition, although I wish it included Cataclysm as well.

mantidor

Hmmm... I'm not feeling that cutscene. It's more in line with the cutscenes of Homeworld 2 but I do prefer the hand drawn feeling of the ones in HW1 and Cataclysm.

Demigod Mac

Part of me doesn't trust Gearbox with any of this and wants them to just release the originals on GOG/Steam now so we can avoid being disappointed two years from now when the whole project falls apart/turns into a pile of shit.

The collection includes the unmodified originals, only updated to run on modern OSes without issues.

Portman

After seeing that footage I'm glad we're getting both versions.

While I appreciate what they're doing and I want to play the new versions, at the same time some of the changes just don't seem right to me. For instance, the cutscene going from a hand drawn look to rendered and the audio. Something about the "scratchiness/static" quality of the original audio helped give it a gritty science fiction vibe to me when I originally played it and I'm really partial to that sound now.

I think what I may do is play the originals first to get to experience them and then play the new ones after that to really be able to notice the differences instead of running off of memory. Either way, I'm excited but it sucks that it's "when it's done" status now.

The collection includes the unmodified originals, only updated to run on modern OSes without issues.

Yeah, I know, but of course I'd rather play them now than in two years if the HD versions turn out to be crap. (Also, I would like two unicorns and world peace.)

On a side note, I finally found my babies:

F3am7N6l.jpg

Valkyria

Banned
There is no way Icould play this new version on my laptop, but I would buy the collector edition just for the mothership.

Lime

Weird that the collector's edition have vouchers for digital downloads, but I guess that's the age we live in.

Ubersnug

Weird that the collector's edition have vouchers for digital downloads, but I guess that's the age we live in.

It is disappointing. Would love to have had physical copies of all 4 of them - even though I own the original Homeworld, Homeworld Cataclysm and Homeworld 2. Would have rounded off this collectors edition perfectly.

Wubby

Woot! Every time I see this thread pop up in my subscribe list I go to Amazon and check to see if I can change my delivery address to ship to Japan. Finally I could! Before they said they wouldn't allow international shipments for some reason.

mantidor

Woot! Every time I see this thread pop up in my subscribe list I go to Amazon and check to see if I can change my delivery address to ship to Japan. Finally I could! Before they said they wouldn't allow international shipments for some reason.

I need to check this out, but I'm in South America so I don't have high hopes.

Giolon

Wow, they've kind of ruined the art design of the game.

I hope we have the option to play the old visuals.
I agree on the cutscenes, but I think the new in-game assists look fantastic. It's like how the game looked in my head, not how it actually looks.

nded

Yeah, I know, but of course I'd rather play them now than in two years if the HD versions turn out to be crap. (Also, I would like two unicorns and world peace.)

On a side note, I finally found my babies:

F3am7N6l.jpg

The Historical and Technical Briefing is a thing of beauty. I lost mine in a move some time ago, so I hope the re-release means new ones get printed.

mantidor

The Historical and Technical Briefing is a thing of beauty. I lost mine in a move some time ago, so I hope the re-release means new ones get printed.

Cataclysm had a cool manual!?!? D: mine came with a simple manual inside the dvd case. Which I have lost now, along with the disk itself. T_T

Armaros

Cataclysm had a cool manual!?!? D: mine came with a simple manual inside the dvd case. Which I have lost now, along with the disk itself. T_T

The cataclysm Manuel had more clan histories AND detailed lore behind most of the usable ships. Like their origins and how the clan obtained technology to build them.

The details about how they learned to deal with with the beast infection on capital ships are brutal.

Flooding plasma through your ship to burn away the infection, regardless of the casualties

mantidor

The cataclysm Manuel had more clan histories AND detailed lore behind most of the usable ships. Like their origins and how the clan obtained technology to build them.

The details about how they learned to deal with with the beast infection on capital ships are brutal.

Flooding plasma through your ship to burn away the infection, regardless of the casualties

I need this.

The remaster better have at least a digital copy of these manuals.

Edit: yeah I should read.

Now I want to preorder and its sold out :(

Lime

From the product description:

Inbox Digital Download Voucher; Pride of Hiigara Mothership replica; Revised Historical Briefings and Artwork book; Die-cast Angel Moon keychain

Otherwise I have the pdf if you want it?

Bombless

I am so weak. I am super suspicious of Gearbox not fucking this up somehow yet I couldn't resist placing a preorder for the UK CE.

DBT85

I've pre ordered the CE. I don't know if I'll follow through as £100 is a lot for a couple of games. But at least this way I have a choice.

Just watched the Shipbreakers videos again too. Also on the BBI site they have a signup for for the Beta of shipbreakers, should they decide to do a Beta. No other new info on there for about 12 months though :(.

Top Bottom