• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Homeworld Remastered Details + Voting on Mothership Replica for Collector's Edition

Human_me

Day 1 buy.

Tempted with the Collectors Edition as well but I would only want the smaller 6" model.

....God Damn I WANT IT NOW!

Asiriya

Neo Member
Ooh, if this sorts out the UI it will be great. I never played the first game so it will be cool to have a 'new' campaign to get into. Wonder how much they're changing and if mods will stop working. I can only presume they will, but hopefully people will be inspired to port them!

I'd have loved for them to do Cataclysm as well. The Somtaaw (sp?) had an extremely interesting choice of units, and I remember the campaign being excellent fun. I actually think I preferred it to HW2, all things considered.

Given the immense mod support these games had in the early 2000's I'm really surprised that they;re having issues hunting down cataclysm assets. Homeworld had full on Babylon 5 and star trek conversions. Name any ship in those days that was on TV and it had a homeworld mod made of it.

mantidor

That is a great idea. Classy and discreet. I'm in for Collector's Edition even though the physical good aren't that important to me. Anyone who does right by that IP gets some money from me. I will pay an extra $10 if Ruskay just tells us what Sri Lankan chants were used in HW2's soundtrack.

Homeworld is heavily influenced by BSG. The reference might be about the actor though. That actor is also the voice of the Bentusi. However, he does get around on a lot of Canadian Sci-Fi so it could be a coincidence. I like the soundtrack parallels between some HW and BSG themes.

I thought HW was supposed to be a game that was going to license BSG, but was unable to obtain it, so they built their own mythology.

Oh I see, well I knew there was an old battlestar galactica and a new one but I didn't know there were so many modern reimaginings, pretty cool if Homeworld's lore influenced the modern ones.

Now I'm in full Homeworld sountrack mode, these were so good, I still favorite the very first song you hear in the game, it still gives me goosebumps.

I am very jealous of the people who are going to experience these games for the first time, there has never been something like it really.

Did. RIP.

WTF this was just a month ago :(

2014 is being ruthless with my childhood and adolescence, damn.... that voice over in the cutscenes was amazing...

Mindlog

Did. RIP.
Damn, I missed that important detail. Fond memories of his work.
Now I'm in full Homeworld sountrack mode, these were so good, I still favorite the very first song you hear in the game, it still gives me goosebumps.
Big fan of space ambient. Ruskay was really on with this series. When he needed to punch it up a bit he was ready for it. Smooth transitions into battle music such as the Turanic Raider theme.

Going to have to find my discs now.

Kotaku just posted some info on the CE from Gearboxes PAX panel.

j5mrwdobg8yy0ydqqw5s.jpg
I guess they're going with the more expensive, light up, mothership.

Portman

I'm just paranoid that it'll be hard to find or sale out real quick if they're to be believed when they say it is a really limited run. You would think if that is the case that they will take orders for it before they start producing the CE. I wish they would get a sign up list or some more information about it on their site since they're apparently making progress with the prototypes.

I will fight every single one of you to get my hands on that artbook but man do I wish they hadn't bothered with the statue at all. Especially if it turns out that's why the run is so limited and I don't end up getting a copy as a result.

Portman

I will fight every single one of you to get my hands on that artbook but man do I wish they hadn't bothered with the statue at all. Especially if it turns out that's why the run is so limited and I don't end up getting a copy as a result.

I agree on wanting the art book over the statue. Even though I freaked out at first for the statue the art book is what I really want (that and a complete score for both games if they read my e-mail).

Gearbox ..................... Homeworld artbook/manual
1326910583_larry_david_reaction.gif

The Homeworld site shows the artbook and manual as being two separate things in the image, if that's the issue.

I've never heard of the games. Can someone point me towards a good video of the series? :)

Here's the first tutorial mission from Homeworld 2. I skipped over the opening cutscene in case you don't want to be spoiled for the first game, but if you rewind that video you can watch that too. Here's the opening of the first Homeworld.

I would be enormously happy to buy a version that doesn't include the model if it meant they could ship it to Canada. Hell, I never wanted the model anyways, I just wanted the sweet, sweet artbook and manual. Please, Gearbox. PLEASE.

Liberty4all

Banned
I still have the AMAZING technical book that came with the original game. So glad I kept it ... The original manual is an epic 60 page (estimating) affair, with game lore, tech specs for ships, and more.

Homeworld was one of the last PC games released that came in a huge box with standard massive colour manuals. The good ol days.

I still have the AMAZING technical book that came with the original game. So glad I kept it ... The original manual is an epic 60 page (estimating) affair, with game lore, tech specs for ships, and more.

Homeworld was one of the last PC games released that came in a huge box with standard massive colour manuals. The good ol days.

I wish I still had the manual from my GOTY Edition. I still have the strategy guide it came with and the soundtrack at least :)

vazel

Banned
I'm sure you foreigners will be able to buy these off eBay for not much more money. Knowing how money-grubbing Gearbox is these probably won't be as limited as they claimed.

Update: On the Gearbox forums they've said that they will hold back a bunch of copies for international customers and are apparently figuring out a solution to ship them to buyers outside the U.S. I'm keeping my Amazon.com order (shipping to a friend) for now, but that's good news.

Giolon

pulled out my manual tonight. Its actually 114 pages long at least a third of which is clan lore.

To this day it blows my mind the amount of clan lore they wrote up about that desert world.

I ate that shit up as a teenager. It's such an epic story.

Wubby

Heads up: the pre-order for the CE is up. But: No foreign shipping

[insert extremely long string of expletives]

Thank you! This is exactly why I subscribed to this thread.

The latest Diablo expac was the same way in the beginning about the foreign shipping...

What I did was pre-order with a US address (my grandma) to save my place in line then later on closer to release they removed the country restriction and I was able to change the shipping to outside the US then. I hope it's the same deal with this one...

Portman

Copy has been pre-ordered and my fears have subsided now that it is up on Amazon for everyone to get if they're interested. Good to see that it's working it's way up the top sellers list too.

Now to figure out whether to get the CE as Christmas gifts for some friends or just get them the regular release when it comes out since they've never played it before.

HariKari

Is there no hope for a true new game in the series? I know the genre has faded and Relic has changed but it'd still be so refreshing.

Portman

I'm holding out hope that if this re-release does well that perhaps Gearbox can convince Sega to let Relic work on a sequel. Of course that idea would be complicated by the whole Aliens debacle though so I don't know how realistic it is.

Dolor

Is there no hope for a true new game in the series? I know the genre has faded and Relic has changed but it'd still be so refreshing.

I'm holding out hope that if this re-release does well that perhaps Gearbox can convince Sega to let Relic work on a sequel. Of course that idea would be complicated by the whole Aliens debacle though so I don't know how realistic it is.

There is already a sequel of sorts in the works from some of the old Relic guys. It's now called Homeworld: Shipbreakers and is being funded in part by Gearbox (lended the game the Homeworld name).

It's been a while since I've seen any information on it, but the few videos I saw looked cool.

Bombless

I find it crazy that people preorder this when they haven't shown anything of the actual gameplay. I love the Homeworld licence to pieces, but this is Gearbox we're talking about.

vazel

Banned
I find it crazy that people preorder this when they haven't shown anything of the actual gameplay. I love the Homeworld licence to pieces, but this is Gearbox we're talking about.
What do you mean actual gameplay? The remastered versions are the old games with better visuals/audio. And if you don't like the remastered versions it comes with the original versions; if they weren't including the original versions I wouldn't have pre-ordered, if nothing else it'll be awesome to own the originals on Steam plus I'm getting a lore/art book and a statue.

Top Bottom