• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hope Solo suspended 6 months for "cowards" comment

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/s...e=twitter.com&utm_campaign=NYDNSports+Twitter

The U.S. goalkeeper was suspended from the national team for six months, effective immediately, for “conduct that is counter to the organization’s principles,” U.S. Soccer said in a press release.

“The comments by Hope Solo after the match against Sweden during the 2016 Olympics were unacceptable and do not meet the standard of conduct we require from our National Team players,” said U.S. Soccer President Sunil Gulati. “Beyond the athletic arena, and beyond the results, the Olympics celebrate and represent the ideals of fair play and respect. We expect all of our representatives to honor those principles, with no exceptions.”

The USWNT also terminated her contract: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/25/sports/hope-solo-suspended-for-six-months-by-us-soccer.html?_r=0

Statement:
http://www.ussoccer.com/stories/201...hope-solo-suspended-from-uswnt-for-six-months

U.S. Soccer has suspended goalkeeper Hope Solo from the U.S. Women’s National Team for six months for conduct that is counter to the organization’s principles.

The suspension for Solo, who was previously suspended for 30 days early in 2015 for her conduct, is effective immediately.

“The comments by Hope Solo after the match against Sweden during the 2016 Olympics were unacceptable and do not meet the standard of conduct we require from our National Team players,” said U.S. Soccer President Sunil Gulati. “Beyond the athletic arena, and beyond the results, the Olympics celebrate and represent the ideals of fair play and respect. We expect all of our representatives to honor those principles, with no exceptions.

“Taking into consideration the past incidents involving Hope, as well as the private conversations we’ve had requiring her to conduct herself in a manner befitting a U.S. National Team member, U.S. Soccer determined this is the appropriate disciplinary action.”

As a result of the suspension, Solo would not be eligible for selection to the U.S. Women’s National Team until February of 2017.

The Argus

Wow that's quite the suspension. Wasn't exactly good sportsmanship, but it's not like she said anything too outlandish and mean.

qcf x2

Well, she's kind of an idiot so I guess they were looking for a reason to keep her away. Plus she'll be 39 when the next Olympics roll around.

Matsukaze

I wonder what word Hope would use to describe the folks who made this decision.

Might be a wee bit meaner than cowards.

Wait, she got a slap on the wrist for assaulting someone in their home, but a 6 month suspension for talking shit?

Sports, ladies and gentlemen.

Xe4

Banned
Beat your niece, one game sit out. Say mean comments to another country, six month suspension. I hope the six month has more to do with the assault then the comments (not officially of course), but I don't know...

Wait, she got a slap on the wrist for assaulting someone in their home, but a 6 month suspension for talking shit?

This.

Jenov

What about that Egyptian Judo guy that refused to shake hands with the Israeli? Did he get a penalty too?

Omadahl

Banned
She should have been kicked off the team after the assault charge. She's the Tonya Harding of women's soccer: talented trash.

Griss

Good to see asshole female athletes are treated the same as male athletes.

Unbelievable, lol.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Her comments were way out of line but that seems like a pretty extreme suspension. I guess history if behavior come into play but 6 months...yikes.

She should have used the euphemisms players/coaches in europe use.

"Parked the bus!"

"Better team didn't win!"

"The grass was too long!"

shira

Wow that's quite the suspension. Wasn't exactly good sportsmanship, but it's not like she said anything too outlandish and mean.

I think it's a problem with the game design.

You can't force goals or force offence. The pitch is way too big and there are way too many players.

The original creators didn't take into account time-wasting and keepaway strategies.

IMHO, they should implement things like no passing backwards from half or back to the goalie and something like basketball's shot clock and crossing halfcourt in a certain time.

mRYz89x.gif

Cut the rosters in half and let's see some goals.

MJPIA

“The comments by Hope Solo after the match against Sweden during the 2016 Olympics were unacceptable and do not meet the standard of conduct we require from our national team players,” Gulati said in a press release. “Beyond the athletic arena, and beyond the results, the Olympics celebrate and represent the ideals of fair play and respect. We expect all of our representatives to honor those principles, with no exceptions.”

Gulati continued: “Taking into consideration the past incidents involving Hope, as well as the private conversations we’ve had requiring her to conduct herself in a manner befitting a U.S. national team member, U.S. Soccer determined this is the appropriate disciplinary action.”
Being talented does not give you a free pass or simply a slap on the wrist for everything you do especially taking into account what she has said and done in the past.
They can't turn a blind eye forever.
okay

I think it's a problem with the game design.

You can't force goals or force offence. The pitch is way too big and there are way too many players.

The original creators didn't take into account time-wasting and keepaway strategies.

IMHO, they should implement things like no passing backwards from half or back to the goalie and something like basketball's shot clock and crossing halfcourt in a certain time.

mRYz89x.gif

Cut the rosters in half and let's see some goals.

nah

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Referring to the assault charges?

It seems like a suspension for that makes sense as opposed to this

I agree but either way she is bad for the sport and a raging asshole. If this was the last straw that's fine by me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom