• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hope Solo suspended 6 months for "cowards" comment

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not her first offense.
lmao at offense. Nothing wrong with a little trash talk. I found her to be incredibly salty when she said what she said, but there's no reason to punish someone, let alone this ludicrous move. Can't tell if this is a political move because she said she should get paid the same as men, or US sports management being soft as usual, or a mixture of the two.

numble

lmao at offense. Nothing wrong with a little trash talk. I found her to be incredibly salty when she said what she said, but there's no reason to punish someone, let alone this ludicrous move. Can't tell if this is a political move because she said she should get paid the same as men, or US sports management being soft as usual, or a mixture of the two.

They play 2 exhibition games in the next 6 months. Such a ludicrous move.

Futureman

The team said she had past incidents (which involved domestic abuse) and they had talks with her prior to the Olympics about not making salty/trash talk statements which she promised not to do. Not sure about those other things you mentioned but it sounds like she clearly had it coming.

*Splinter

Surprising, but good on Team US (or whoever). 6 months doesn't sound excessive at all unless something really important is happening inside that time frame.

RocknRola

Eeeeehhhhh.... her comments were silly, yes, and slightly on the disrespectful side but not really worthy of a full on suspension. Maybe an internal fine and a public apology to the Swedish team, but nothing else really.

You see a lot worse go unpunished by FIFA themselves for example (on both the men's and women's side) and even the regional and nation federations too.

That said, perhaps the USWNT was already looking for an excuse to send her off though...

Duffman

I think it's a problem with the game design.

You can't force goals or force offence. The pitch is way too big and there are way too many players.

The original creators didn't take into account time-wasting and keepaway strategies.

IMHO, they should implement things like no passing backwards from half or back to the goalie and something like basketball's shot clock and crossing halfcourt in a certain time.

mRYz89x.gif

Cut the rosters in half and let's see some goals.

Just no. Current rules are completely fine, defensive tactics are part of the game. If you don't like watching football no one's forcing you. There's already a sport called futsal if you want to see a faster and more attack oriented version of football

I doubt such a suspension was over some comment. It could be tied to her speaking up about women soccer gender wage discrimination as noted earlier, and not wanting to pay her more.

women_soccer_wage_discrimination_by_digi_matrix-dafbwol.png

I doubt such a suspension was over some comment. It could be tied to her speaking up about women soccer gender wage discrimination as noted earlier, and not wanting to pay her more.

women_soccer_wage_discrimination_by_digi_matrix-dafbwol.png

Fucking ridiculous.

Especially when you consider the Men's team's biggest accomplishment was a 3rd place finish in the World Cup...in 1930.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

]

No as I and others have said, it's because she has been a giant asshole on and off the field for years. Anyone following women's soccer, especially in seattle is very familiar with her trashy and embarrassing antics. Again this was the last straw, not the first. her team mates didn't exactly leap to her defense.

No as I and others have said, it's because she has been a giant asshole on and off the field for years. Anyone following women's soccer, especially in seattle is very familiar with her trashy and embarrassing antics. Again this was the last straw, not the first. her team mates didn't exactly leap to her defense.
Do you follow men's football (soccer)? No one gets suspended for their comments day in day out.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Do you follow men's football (soccer)? No one gets suspended for their comments day in day out.

Yes I do and if players are being assholes to their teammates and continually getting in trouble with the cops they get fired, suspended, fined and all sorts of other punishments. Like Hope Solo as you could find out with a ten second Google search.

Google this phrase: hope solo in trouble again

CalhounBurns

Neo Member

You can't force goals or force offence. The pitch is way too big and there are way too many players.

The original creators didn't take into account time-wasting and keepaway strategies.

IMHO, they should implement things like no passing backwards from half or back to the goalie and something like basketball's shot clock and crossing halfcourt in a certain time.

This is the worst post I've ever seen on GAF.

thebloo

You could just watch Futsal, you know?

Lkr

This is dumb as fuck and I don't think a male player would have got suspended 6 months for this. Wow a salty athlete was butthurt after a game, I'm shocked you guys.
Now Solo has some past misbehavior which might have contributed to this, but she should have got in trouble for domestic violence as opposed to this.

Ronaldo said essentially the same shit during the Euros about Iceland and then everyone just made fun of Ronaldo like always. Why couldn't we just leave it at that with Hope Solo? Again, kick her off the team if you want, just ban her for life for the domestic violence bullshit. That's setting a good example, not this.

Fergie

Banned

mRYz89x.gif

Rename American Football handegg and we have a deal.

moai

Rename American Football handegg and we have a deal.

or shotclock rugby.
maybe this ban has to do with the way women football is or how football is perceived in the us, but this is common in leagues around the world, players do this kind of comments all the time and in south america sports media loves this stuff. it gives flavour to the matches and gives them something to talk until the next fixtures.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!

Yo, you'd think a lawyer would know what the first amendment protects.
I think the lawyer has a fairly sound understanding of the nuances of First Amendment. While typically private organizations or other private entities are not required to afford others their constitutional rights, where that organization's actions and history have shown it to be "entangled" with that of a government, then it may be presumed to be a "state actor" and sued as such for allegedly violating another's constitutional rights. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brentwood_Academy_v._Tennessee_Secondary_School_Athletic_Ass'n

Assuming that the United States supports US Soccer in its role as fielding a team to represent the United States in international competition, there's more than a colorable argument that US Soccer is a state actor for purposes of the threatened law suit.

I'm kind of surprised people think this punishment is too severe. Solo has been a nuisance for a long time. She has a poor attitude, belittled another national soccer team after losing because she can't block worth a damn during SOs so she has to project her embarrassment on something else.

She's had charges filed for beating the shit out of a family member at a BBQ because she was plastered and doesn't know how to be a role model at 35. She is an extremely unlikeable person whose been delving into obnoxious shit for years.

Fucking ridiculous.

Especially when you consider the Men's team's biggest accomplishment was a 3rd place finish in the World Cup...in 1930.

This has been gone over a thousand times. Mens gets more viewers and attendees, so it brings in more money, so the players can get paid more.

UrbanRats

"I thought that we played a courageous game," Solo said. "I thought that we had many opportunities on goal. I think we showed a lot of heart. We came back from a goal down; I'm very proud of this team.

"I also think we played a bunch of cowards. But, you know, the best team did not win today; I strongly, firmly believe that. I think you saw America's heart. You saw us give everything that we had today. Unfortunately, the better team didn't win."

Damn, were the lines in the field drawn with salt that day?
Either way, seems extremely tame, as others have said.

I mean CR7 called the Icelandic team small minded after the draw, in this past World Cup.

Good, suspend everyone when displaying bad sportsmanship.

players/athletes that are not displaying good sportsmanship on or off field, track ec, should all be banned, no matter if they are female or male.

What? That is excessive. Trash talking shouldn't be taken this seriously. Didn't Mike Tyson threaten to eat Lennox Lewis's children? Granted, Lennox had no children at that time but I feel like calling an opposing team cowards is fair enough if that is how you perceived them.

NekoFever

hahahahaha

Always funny when people who don't watch the sport tell us how to "improve" it.

Particularly the complaint about the lack of goals.

Premier League 2015-16 average goals per game: 2.7
La Liga 2015-16 average goals per game: 2.74
Bundesliga 2015-16 average goals per game: 2.82
MLS 2015 average goals per game: 2.76

NFL 2015 average touchdowns per game: 2.36

bengraven

as well as the private conversations we’ve had requiring her to conduct herself in a manner befitting a U.S. National Team member, U.S. Soccer determined this is the appropriate disciplinary action

Would love to hear those conversations.

They play 2 exhibition games in the next 6 months. Such a ludicrous move.
But it is though, even if there's only 2 useless games. I guess I'm used to people shit talking in Europe on a constant basis and people not being emotionally traumatized as people in sports in NA are.
The team said she had past incidents (which involved domestic abuse) and they had talks with her prior to the Olympics about not making salty/trash talk statements which she promised not to do. Not sure about those other things you mentioned but it sounds like she clearly had it coming.
I really don't follow Solo's path or much attention to her, but they had a specific warning to her about talking trash lol? That seems equally hilarious and ridiculous. Does she have a habit of shit talking teams on a regular basis?

NekoFever said:

Bundesliga stay winnin'

latest

You need to double the NFL figures. I haven't looked at all of the soccer leagues, but the Premier League is goals per game, whereas the NFL's is touchdowns per team per game. There were 1,207 touchdowns over 256 games, for an average of 4.7 touchdowns per game. Plus, touchdowns aren't the only method of scoring. There were 3.25 field goals per game in the 2015 season, which are half the value of a touchdown, so we're already looking at 6.3 effective touchdowns per game... add extra points and we're now at ~7 effective touchdowns per game. Also, as mentioned by another poster, NFL games are only 60 minutes long. Assuming no overtime, the NFL averages 0.12 effective touchdowns per minute, compared to the Premier League's 0.03 goals per minute: four times as many touchdowns as goals. Paints a much different picture.

I don't think there are any major matches or tournaments in the next 6 months, so this is pretty much slap on the wrist.
Edit: fixed typo

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member

I will require these stats in 'minutes per game' please. Because i'm fairly sure a game of American football takes at least as long as a test cricket match.

usp84

mRYz89x.gif

Lol no passing backwards?The things i read here man

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom