• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hope Solo suspended 6 months for "cowards" comment

Status
Not open for further replies.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Rich Nichols, the general counsel for the women’s national team’s players association, called Solo’s suspension “excessive, unprecedented, disproportionate, and a violation of Ms. Solo’s First Amendment rights.”

Yo, you'd think a lawyer would know what the first amendment protects.

daegan

For the assault charges or letting her husband drunk drive a team van? Fine. But for that? Hell no. Absolutely no man in soccer anywhere in the world would get dragged like Hope for this type of speech.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Found a picture of Hope after the ban.

carbon-cool.jpg

But yeah, a rightfully deserved suspension. Keep your worthless salt to yourself - if you actually were the winning team then you would have won. That and the other shitty things she's been up to.

mozfan12

Banned
Good riddance. Should have been suspended before the last World Cup. Seems like they only suspended her when she is basically at the tail end of her career.

The cowards comment terminated your contract but not the domestic abuse?
Then again I haven't kept on following this situation.

Either way at least something was done.

Ceres

Banned
The suspension is obviously a cumulation of things and no major tourney for her to miss but also helps USSF remove one of the most vocal pieces of the CBA/memorandum of understanding dispute.

She'll be back just in time for Sheba Leaves cup

Clegg

Not that long if you're playing against elite soccer players
It depends on what kind of goalkeeper you are. The fast twitch reaction shot stoppers suffer badly when they get a bit older. Casillas was one of the best in the world when he was younger. But for the last four or five years he has gotten steadily worse. He's not the only one but he's the most high profile.

There are other types of goalkeepers who can cover their angles so we'll that the athleticism they've lost due to age isn't a huge problem. These are the ones who can play at an elite level for much longer. They're also much harder to come by though. Van der Sar played Champions League finals for Manchester United in his 40's. One of the best goalkeepers in the world is Gianluigi Buffon and he's 38.

What is she quoted as having said?

"I thought that we played a courageous game," Solo said. "I thought that we had many opportunities on goal. I think we showed a lot of heart. We came back from a goal down; I'm very proud of this team.

"I also think we played a bunch of cowards. But, you know, the best team did not win today; I strongly, firmly believe that. I think you saw America's heart. You saw us give everything that we had today. Unfortunately, the better team didn't win."

I think it's a problem with the game design.

You can't force goals or force offence. The pitch is way too big and there are way too many players.

The original creators didn't take into account time-wasting and keepaway strategies.

IMHO, they should implement things like no passing backwards from half or back to the goalie and something like basketball's shot clock and crossing halfcourt in a certain time.

mRYz89x.gif

Cut the rosters in half and let's see some goals.
hahahahaha

Always funny when people who don't watch the sport tell us how to "improve" it.

Acorn

Eh 6 months is abit harsh going by what comments get made by players and managers re: teams that park the bus every single week(Stoke used to get shit on weekly for example).

I'd say something like 3-5 games would be fair. But I'm also aware she's made a habit out of being an idiot so guess they wanted to draw a line under it and send a message.

mozfan12

Banned
World cup aint til 2019. They don't need her anymore.

Yep, exactly. This is basically a PR move by the U.S. federation. The comments did cause quite a bit of stir, so they get to punish a player that was basically on the way out regardless. I wonder if the World Cup was next year and not 2019, would have they done the same?

I also don't think it's just for the "coward" comments. It's also a "I'm tired of your shit and hanging you out to dry" type of suspension.

Regardless of how terrible or not Hope Solo is as a person, the real reason for the excessive suspension and contract termination is because she's one of the lead (and most vocal) proponents of the ongoing wage discrimination and CBA dispute with USSF.

The women's team hasn't been under actual contract since 2012. And they get paid 25% of the men's team that usually doesn't make it out of qualifiers (and generates significantly less revenue).

numble

Eh 6 months is abit harsh going by what comments get made by players and managers re: teams that park the bus every single week(Stoke used to get shit on weekly for example).

I'd say something like 3-5 games would be fair. But I'm also aware she's made a habit out of being an idiot so guess they wanted to draw a line under it and send a message.
How many games do you think the national team will play in 6 months?

"I thought that we played a courageous game," Solo said. "I thought that we had many opportunities on goal. I think we showed a lot of heart. We came back from a goal down; I'm very proud of this team.

"I also think we played a bunch of cowards. But, you know, the best team did not win today; I strongly, firmly believe that. I think you saw America's heart. You saw us give everything that we had today. Unfortunately, the better team didn't win."
As pointed out a few times already, essentially she made comments made countless times every single week in football without any repercussions (and is often met with widespread agreement.)

harsh suspension for one comment, maybe they are other behavioral episodes that might have comboed into the factor.

IMO, there is a bit of ageism attached to this as an excuse to get rid of her at age 35

daegan

As pointed out a few times already, essentially she made comments made countless times every single week in football without any repercussions (and is often me with widespread agreement.)

Yeah I don't think you'll find anyone on earth that says Sweden came to play in any of their matches. They were dreadful to watch.

Reverend Funk

Comfy Penetration
If they really wanna make soccer better they would play on a much smaller field with teams of 5 and let people dribble the ball with their hands

LMAO, European football did this then we would have no players left to play.

I think it's a problem with the game design.

You can't force goals or force offence. The pitch is way too big and there are way too many players.

The original creators didn't take into account time-wasting and keepaway strategies.

IMHO, they should implement things like no passing backwards from half or back to the goalie and something like basketball's shot clock and crossing halfcourt in a certain time.

mRYz89x.gif

Cut the rosters in half and let's see some goals.

I love these ideas. Maybe you are what the game needs. Is it OK if I submit these to the IFAB?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom