• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hope Solo suspended 6 months for "cowards" comment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hope is embarrassing and has been embarrassing for a long time. She should have faced suspension from the national team for her domestic violence charge. I won't miss her.

This is pretty clearly one or both of two things though:

1) They know she'll be 38 by the next important competition, and they just want to be done with her. She's not that much better than her backups as of now, and in three years it's very likely they will pass her anyway.

2) Hope's one of the more outspoken players on the wage discrimination issue, and US Soccer probably counts her being outspoken about more equitable pay as one of the "headaches" she causes because US Soccer is cowardly. We can count CBA stuff in here, too.

I'm going with both. Fuck US Soccer (for a million things). Fuck Hope Solo (but she's in the right about the size of the pay gap). Fuck the misogynists that are making roast beef jokes on twitter. Fuck everyone.

tkscz

*Commits domestic violence on nephew and sister in their home*
Oh that's nothing, keep playing your season

*Makes a back handed comment*
WHAT WHAT!? That's unsportswoman like! Suspended.

While backwards I'm glad she is actually being punished for something. She isn't the nicest person on and off the field.

NekoFever

You need to double the NFL figures. I haven't looked at all of the soccer leagues, but the Premier League is goals per game, whereas the NFL's is touchdowns per team per game. There were 1,207 touchdowns over 256 games, for an average of 4.7 touchdowns per game. Plus, touchdowns aren't the only method of scoring. There were 3.25 field goals per game in the 2015 season, which are half the value of a touchdown, so we're already looking at 6.3 effective touchdowns per game... add extra points and we're now at ~7 effective touchdowns per game. Also, as mentioned by another poster, NFL games are only 60 minutes long. Assuming no overtime, the NFL averages 0.12 effective touchdowns per minute, compared to the Premier League's 0.03 goals per minute: four times as many touchdowns as goals. Paints a much different picture.
You're quite right. I take it back.

I'll switch my assertion that American football is more boring to this better supported basis.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
I think it's a problem with the game design.

You can't force goals or force offence. The pitch is way too big and there are way too many players.

The original creators didn't take into account time-wasting and keepaway strategies.

IMHO, they should implement things like no passing backwards from half or back to the goalie and something like basketball's shot clock and crossing halfcourt in a certain time.

mRYz89x.gif

Cut the rosters in half and let's see some goals.

No thanks. With your proposal, we'd never have this beauty: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jrv2MWU2MTo

Hope is embarrassing and has been embarrassing for a long time. She should have faced suspension from the national team for her domestic violence charge. I won't miss her.

This is pretty clearly one or both of two things though:

1) They know she'll be 38 by the next important competition, and they just want to be done with her. She's not that much better than her backups as of now, and in three years it's very likely they will pass her anyway.

2) Hope's one of the more outspoken players on the wage discrimination issue, and US Soccer probably counts her being outspoken about more equitable pay as one of the "headaches" she causes because US Soccer is cowardly. We can count CBA stuff in here, too.

I'm going with both. Fuck US Soccer (for a million things). Fuck Hope Solo (but she's in the right about the size of the pay gap). Fuck the misogynists that are making roast beef jokes on twitter. Fuck everyone.
?

boxter432

This is one of the most significant reasons I don't watch American football. Granted, I don't watch any stick-and-ball sports, but I'd be more likely to watch the NFL if there were strict time limits between plays.

there is literally something called a play clock in football. commercials are their own beast, not something driven by the game itself

Poor sportsmanship is poor sportsmanship, but competiveness is competiveness. I think that in a stage like the Olympics where it really is about competing and sportsmanship serves well for the suspension, but athletes have said much worse in the past and gotten away with it.

I do think her age and the fact that the Womens National Team is in the middle of a revolution of talent leaving and coming had a play in this.

sangreal

I think the lawyer has a fairly sound understanding of the nuances of First Amendment. While typically private organizations or other private entities are not required to afford others their constitutional rights, where that organization's actions and history have shown it to be "entangled" with that of a government, then it may be presumed to be a "state actor" and sued as such for allegedly violating another's constitutional rights. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brentwood_Academy_v._Tennessee_Secondary_School_Athletic_Ass'n

Assuming that the United States supports US Soccer in its role as fielding a team to represent the United States in international competition, there's more than a colorable argument that US Soccer is a state actor for purposes of the threatened law suit.

I'm not aware of any entwinement between US Soccer and the government in the manner found between the TSSAA (or any of the variety of associations in the other cases cited in that decision) and the government

numble

I think the lawyer has a fairly sound understanding of the nuances of First Amendment. While typically private organizations or other private entities are not required to afford others their constitutional rights, where that organization's actions and history have shown it to be "entangled" with that of a government, then it may be presumed to be a "state actor" and sued as such for allegedly violating another's constitutional rights. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brentwood_Academy_v._Tennessee_Secondary_School_Athletic_Ass'n

Assuming that the United States supports US Soccer in its role as fielding a team to represent the United States in international competition, there's more than a colorable argument that US Soccer is a state actor for purposes of the threatened law suit.

I'm not aware of any entwinement between US Soccer and the government in the manner found between the TSSAA (or any of the variety of associations in the other cases cited in that decision) and the government

San Francisco Arts & Athletics, Inc. v. United States Olympic Committee affirmed that the USOC is not considered a state actor.

darscot

A six months suspension right after the Olympics how many games will she even miss. Does she play pro in the U.S. will this effect her to miss any games? Seems like a slap on the wrist as usual. That whole glove fiasco was disgraceful and that in a sport full of diving and drama. I'm surprised she wasn't simply cut completely. I guess she was from the national team.

this thread is weird, it goes goes off topic onto complaining about soccer, low scoring and no scoring happening in extra-time leading to PKs

IMO, I think this is a case of ageism where they are dumping her due to her age

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!

San Francisco Arts & Athletics, Inc. v. United States Olympic Committee affirmed that the USOC is not considered a state actor.
As I said "Assuming . . . ", but when I'm wrong, I'll gladly admit when I'm wrong. Cheers.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
this thread is weird, it goes goes off topic onto complaining about soccer, low scoring and no scoring happening in extra-time leading to PKs

IMO, I think this is a case of ageism where they are dumping her due to her age

How many times do posters have to repeat its mainly due to an accumulation of past shitty behavior and her physically assaulting a family member for you to get it?

How many times do posters have to repeat its mainly due to an accumulation of past shitty behavior and her physically assaulting a family member for you to get it?

Probably the same about of times posters have to repeat its actually due to her involvement in the ongoing wage discrimination and CBA disputes with the USSF.

Her suspension is literally the same timeframe as the EEOC investigation.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Probably the same about of times posters have to repeat its actually due to her involvement in the ongoing wage discrimination and CBA disputes with the USSF.

Her suspension is literally the same timeframe as the EEOC investigation.

That's because she literally accused the winning team of cowardice.

Did her colleagues who also rightfully complained about wage discrimination but aren't raging assholes in public get suspended too? Because that would be a smoking gun

Lots of people were disgusted she even got to go to the olympics. She's not your martyr. She's a known jerk.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
holy shit this thread

LOL at people who think 38 is too old for a goalkeeper
LOL at the "lets improve soccer by.." crowd

anyways, dumb suspension for that comment

That's because she literally accused the winning team of cowardice.

Did her colleagues who also rightfully complained about wage discrimination but aren't raging assholes in public get suspended too? Because that would be a smoking gun

Lots of people were disgusted she even got to go to the olympics. She's not your martyr. She's a known jerk.

It's extremely illegal to directly retaliate against a whistleblower. Hope Solo being a dick gave them an opportunity to do so and not be called out on it. There is already a smoking gun. The individual in question has done far worse with little or no punishment in the past. Other athletes have done far worse with little or no punishment in the past and present. There's literally no precedent whatsoever for the punishment handed out and it's timed exactly at the time when the individual being punished is actively pursuing a legal investigation against the governing body. You'd have to be pretty damn naive to not be able to connect the dots on this one.

Pointing out how absolutely fucking pathetic and petty the USSF is has nothing to do with how bad a person Hope Solo is. And no one pointing out this bullshit is defending Hope Solo at all. Every single person mentioning what is clearly a retaliation by the USSF has repeatedly called her out for being... exactly the person she is.

Lunar FC

You can't force goals or force offence. The pitch is way too big and there are way too many players.

The original creators didn't take into account time-wasting and keepaway strategies.

IMHO, they should implement things like no passing backwards from half or back to the goalie and something like basketball's shot clock and crossing halfcourt in a certain time.

mRYz89x.gif

Dumbest shit I've read in my 21 years of life.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
It's extremely illegal to directly retaliate against a whistleblower. Hope Solo being a dick gave them an opportunity to do so and not be called out on it. There is already a smoking gun. The individual in question has done far worse with little or no punishment in the past. Other athletes have done far worse with little or no punishment in the past and present. There's literally no precedent whatsoever for the punishment handed out and it's timed exactly at the time when the individual being punished is actively pursuing a legal investigation against the governing body. You'd have to be pretty damn naive to not be able to connect the dots on this one.

Pointing out how absolutely fucking pathetic and petty the USSF is has nothing to do with how bad a person Hope Solo is. And no one pointing out this bullshit is defending Hope Solo at all. Every single person mentioning what is clearly a retaliation by the USSF has repeatedly called her out for being... exactly the person she is.

Before I post what I came here to post, I want to make one thing clear and perfectly clear: Female Athletes should be paid commensurate to their performance in the sport and within the rational confines of that sport's popularity and economic engine.

However, you are absolutely rigidly stuck on this thing, and ignoring all evidence to the contrary.

1. None of the other female Soccer stars protesting wages are being punished.
2. There's no "whistleblowing" because the problems in the sport are well known. This is a warranted PROTEST. Not the revelation of a secret.
3. Hope Solo's litany of shenanigans shows that if anything she has been PROTECTED by her team and its parent organizations because she's a useful goalie.

So your cause is one I agree with, but you're absolutely ignoring the facts surrounding this particular individual.

And she just bailed from her team. If you read the story, it also lists a PARTIAL collection of her prior fuckups. If any of us committed this many egregious public fiascos, we'd have been dumped five years ago. So acting like she's a VICTIM here is ludicrous and embarrassing. The governing body did not use this as an excuse, they simply ran out of viable options for kid-gloving the silly asshole.

http://www.seattlepi.com/sports/article/Hope-Solo-takes-indefinite-leave-from-Seattle-9188383.php

mRYz89x.gif

Is the only piece of soccer content you've consumed that Simpsons gif?

Deadstar

It's bad sportsmanship but she is entitled to her opinion. Shouldn't have been let go because of this especially after 17 years.

"17 FUCKING YEARS AND IT'S OVER."
0169_a8rr8.gif

lmao

I won't deny I feel some sympathy for her but I don't for a second believe this is all solely due to her insult towards the Swedes. Solo has been a liability for a while now, and with the negative headlines she's been attracting this was bound to happen sooner than later. Maybe they should have let her resign and save some face but one way or another I can see why they wanted her gone.

|ync

You need to double the NFL figures. I haven't looked at all of the soccer leagues, but the Premier League is goals per game, whereas the NFL's is touchdowns per team per game. There were 1,207 touchdowns over 256 games, for an average of 4.7 touchdowns per game. Plus, touchdowns aren't the only method of scoring. There were 3.25 field goals per game in the 2015 season, which are half the value of a touchdown, so we're already looking at 6.3 effective touchdowns per game... add extra points and we're now at ~7 effective touchdowns per game. Also, as mentioned by another poster, NFL games are only 60 minutes long. Assuming no overtime, the NFL averages 0.12 effective touchdowns per minute, compared to the Premier League's 0.03 goals per minute: four times as many touchdowns as goals. Paints a much different picture.

You know, they say all sports are created equal, but you look at the NFL and you look at the Premier League, and you can see that statement is not true! See, normally if you go one-on-one with another sport, you got a 50-50 chance of scorin' more goals. But NFL players are genetic freaks, and not normal, so you got a 25% at best at beatin’ them! And then you add field goals to the mix? Your chances of winnin’ drasticy go down. See minutes per game, at the Premier League, you got a 90 minutes. But the NFL, the NFL got a 60 minutes a game, cause the NFL is NOT wasting anyone's time, and they're not even gonna try! So, Premier League, you take your 0.03 goals per minute, minus the NFL's 0.12 goals per minute, and you got -0.09 goals per minute! But then you add the extra points, if we compare NFL to Premier League, and the 2015 season is over! See, the numbers don’t lie, and they spell disaster for the Premier League!

Just to clarify a bit she can still play for the NT without a contract. Although I suspect she may have finally run out of chances and won't be called up anymore.

Aylinato

mRYz89x.gif

Why would the most popular sport in the world change what makes it the most popular sport in the world?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom