• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Forbidden West | Gameplay Reveal Trailer

kyoji

Nothing impressive
Ce0umqp.gif

LOD popping of the warrior's fur, the grass, dude riding the raptor, Aloy's clipping hair and her fur pop in is pretty rough, BUT these seem like things all but guaranteed to be fixed in future builds when they polish the game.
after u mention it i saw it, i have to watch it 3 times and check one by one... that will give me 4 game play already. lols.

Easily the most next gen looking gameplay footage I’ve ever seen. I hope Sony patches the original on ps5 so I can get up to date on the story before this releases.

longdi

Banned
Imo decima engine is the most impressive 3rd person engine. There is such a high level of interactivity while still looking good and stable.

For 3rd person games, interacting and exploring the environment is very important.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

Yea... R&C was a more clear cut from crossgen to me than this. It looks like a PS4 game. Still, with Guerilla and the budget, still looks better than almost anything out there, don't get me wrong, but it does feel limited by crossgen sadly.

I think i'll wait to play on PC in ultrawide and not with a shitty framerate. Thanks PC Sony!

Last edited:

longdi

Banned
Yea... R&C was a more clear cut from crossgen to me than this. It looks like a PS4 game. Still, with Guerilla and the budget, still looks better than almost anything out there, don't get me wrong, but it does feel limited by crossgen sadly.

I think i'll wait to play on PC in ultrawide and not with a shitty framerate. Thanks PC Sony!

Some parts like from the 7:58 mark, definitely has a heavy current gen feel around it.

But the cutscenes or smaller scenes, are tuned up to 11 on Ps5.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
If its more like God of war level navigation instead of true open world then I'm happy.

honestly the world looks more hand crafted to me. Open sections but also areas that are really dense and intricately designed

I noticed that the pre-stream had lots of locations shown and the world looked a lot more interesting than the first game

Buggy Loop

Some parts like from the 7:58 mark, definitely has a heavy current gen feel around it.

But the cutscenes or smaller scenes, are tuned up to 11 on Ps5.

Can't wait to see what Guerilla can do when they fully go PS5, whenever their next project is presented. I think it will shame HFW. These guys are still incredible what they pull off with a PS4. I'm not even a Playstation owner since PS2, but Sony teams are in another league in terms of cinematic graphics. If i was Microsoft, i would sweat bullets at every Sony presentation because yea.. monster talent with the little power they had.

What irks me is their hand holding i always see in these games, yellow/white painted "you have to do this here, grab this!, Jump there!", or the character constantly talking to tell you what you're supposed to do. It's dumbing down the game for the masses. I think with a bit more creative freedom given to the player, could be legendary games. A bit like Zelda finally stepped up from a downhill trend when BOTW gave player total freedom. Just my personal opinion of course.

Last edited:

longdi

Banned
Can't wait to see what Guerilla can do when they fully go PS5, whenever their next project is presented. I think it will shame HFW. These guys are still incredible what they pull off with a PS4. I'm not even a Playstation owner since PS2, but Sony teams are in another league in terms of cinematic graphics. If i was Microsoft, i would sweat bullets at every Sony presentation because yea.. monster talent with the little power they had.

What irks me is their hand holding i always see in these games, yellow/white painted "you have to do this here, grab this!, Jump there!", or the character constantly talking to tell you what you're supposed to do. It's dumbing down the game for the masses. I think with a bit more creative freedom given to the player, could be legendary games. A bit like Zelda finally stepped up from a downhill trend when BOTW gave player total freedom. Just my personal opinion of course.

Yes i agree. The next gen decima engine should be mindblowing. I guess instead of 4-5 enemies, we can see a lot more with better AI, or even flying traversal etc

I also hope Sony shift away from their cinematics approach, you know the cutscenes and the quips and the self vocalisations.

Allow more creative freedom to the players, more silence from QTE scenes. Guess thats what the SSD is for, less controlled environment around IO limitations, but more flexibility!

Mix things up abit, imo every gen needs a fresh style. Their cinematic approach works for ps4, but imo may not for ps5 gen.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Look fantastic!
Glad they didn’t announce a release date, lots of us can’t buy a console yet, it can slip to 2022 without problem as far as I’m concerned.

But I don’t get how this can be played on a PS4! How?! Even if they would halve the framerate to filthy 30fps, or scale back stuff, or go down to 720p or whatever, it’s still an insane amount of stuff on screen to deal with.

Hair and grass clipping is the only negative I found. And Aloy talking to herself. Possibly bad facial animations and acting again as other has said, but there were so few cutscenes shown so that might be an overreaction.

All in all, great showcase!

Last edited:
honestly the world looks more hand crafted to me. Open sections but also areas that are really dense and intricately designed

I noticed that the pre-stream had lots of locations shown and the world looked a lot more interesting than the first game
More like this time they made an effort to actually design the fucking world instead of just an empty map.

But I don’t get how this can be played on a PS4! How?! Even if they would halve the framerate to filthy 30fps, or scale back stuff, or go down to 720p or whatever, it’s still an insane amount of stuff on screen to deal with.

It could be possible that they are making two versions of the game. This is something that was done before with Titanfall. Once you see the PS4 version it will be pretty clear what cuts they made to make it work.

longdi

Banned
Look fantastic!
Glad they didn’t announce a release date, lots of us can’t buy a console yet, it can slip to 2022 without problem as far as I’m concerned.

Hair and grass clipping is the only negative I found. And Aloy talking to herself. Possibly bad facial animations and acting again as other has said, but there were so few cutscenes shown so that might be an overreaction.

All in all, great showcase!

hzd already looks great on ps4.
hzfw gameplay and level designs look current gen

GG have just more capacity to bump up the graphics on ps5, that is all.
Sorta like putting og res-evil on ps1 cd or ps2 dvd, but the gameplay will be same.

Last edited:

Ryu Kaiba

its the characters that kind of throw me off, ALOY has no personality no quirks that make her particularly likeable.

The game looks great but it lacks VIBES. it needs unique music and some ...weirdness. I hope the open world is more than just pretty colors scrap gathering and enemies to fight.

Fredrik

It could be possible that they are making two versions of the game. This is something that was done before with Titanfall. Once you see the PS4 version it will be pretty clear what cuts they made to make it work.
Yeah maybe. And I see some talk about the framerate, didn’t realize this could be 30fps even on PS5. Maybe they bring the legendary Ocarina of Time 17fps back on PS4 lol

its the characters that kind of throw me off, ALOY has no personality no quirks that make her particularly likeable.

The game looks great but it lacks VIBES. it needs unique music and some ...weirdness. I hope the open world is more than just pretty colors scrap gathering and enemies to fight.
I hate they made her speak alone all the time. Like wtf? Why don't you take a clue from the last of us II as to how to make a character say something when it's alone.

Fredrik

hzd already looks great on ps4.
hzfw gameplay and level designs look current gen

GG have just more capacity to bump up the graphics on ps5, that is all.
Sorta like putting og res-evil on ps1 cd or ps2 dvd, but the gameplay will be same.
Nah this looks way better come on, the grass/hair clipping and maybe some lacking water splashes is the only thing that looks last gen for me.
Edit: Unless it’s 30fps. But I’m going to assume it’s 60fps since like 95% of all games has been 60fps so far, especially cross gen games.

Last edited:

Tripolygon

Banned
I was referring to the several render passes that are used in deferred rendering to compute lighting equations. I should have been more clear about that.

And that character light source is indeed out of the scene. It's being placed over her head where the sun's direction is opposite.
Yes? Not even live action movies light based on the direction of the sun nor do they use only one light source to light a shot. CGI is filled with 3 point lighting aka rim lighting.
example03.jpg

Last edited:

longdi

Banned
Nah this looks way better come on, the grass/hair clipping and maybe some lacking water splashes is the only thing that looks last gen for me.
Edit: Unless it’s 30fps. But I’m going to assume it’s 60fps since like 95% of all games has been 60fps so far, especially cross gen games.

i did not say it does not look better.

but if you have the budget, like GG likely do. You just hire additional manpower to scale up the visual assets while not impacting the core game design that still runs on ps4.

Fredrik

looks worse then first game, the extra faked baked lighting looks unnatural and makes the worlds lighting look more flat almost like a ps3 game
Lol sorry to laugh but this is just not true, go back and play HZD1 and report back later 😉👍

kinjx11

Banned
Looks amazing, they didn't mention RT because with a DLSS-like tech they will never get it working on a game with a lot of metal reflections to light sources

Genuinely surprised at the reaction to the graphics on here. It looks good but it still looks like a crossgen title. Demon's Souls looked better than this imo and had a higher frame rate. The general art style of the game is what's making everyone excited I guess. The overly accentuated god rays and saturated colors really pop compared to Demon's Souls. Gonna be crazy what they'll be able to do on a fully next gen title.

Fredrik

i did not say it does not look better.

but if you have the budget, like GG likely do. You just hire additional manpower to scale up the visual assets while not impacting the core game design that still runs on ps4.
You make it sound easy, I think if it was that easy then we would’ve seen this fidelity in lots of games, GG isn’t the only dev doing big budget games.
And I’m going to guess that this showcase is causing MS to sweat right now. Can’t be fun to go up next showing cross gen Halo after this knowing people were unimpressed last year. Hats off to Sony and Guerrilla, that’s my feeling right now. Only thing that could make them stumble is if this was from a 30fps mode.

Last edited:
Top Bottom