• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Forbidden West State of Play announced for May 27th

GymWolf

Gold Member
Yeah, it seemed something that could be done on a PS4. There wasn't anything ground breaking or next gen in the trailer.
I mean, some things looked extremely good like some vegetation parts or the waves in the sea or the cutscene crab, but human models for npc looked just slightly superior (if any) to npc in the first game (even sylens didn't looked that much better and still has that game-y appareance compared to humans in tlou2) and even the giant robo-turtle they showed, while looking extremely good, did it really look a gen different from a thunderjaw in term of details?!
People always forget how fucking good horizon 1 still looks even today.

They even ugliefied aloy's face, but it was the character with the biggest upgrade in term of graphic, especially the face details.

Onestly, if the level of graphic in today trailer is gonna be exactly the same,i'm gonna be a bit underwhelmed, thanks jimbo and the ancient ps4 hardware for that...

Last edited:
I don't think their engine will present anything as impressive as Unreal 5... it's looking downright as colorful as a cartoon...

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I mean, some things looked extremely good like some vegetation parts or the waves in the sea or the cutscene crab, but human models for npc looked just slightly superior (if any) to npc in the first game (even sylens didn't looked that much better and still has that game-y appareance compared to humans in tlou2) and even the giant robo-turtle they showed, while looking extremely good, did it really look a gen different from a thunderjaw in term of details?!
People always forget how fucking good horizon 1 still looks even today.

They even ugliefied aloy's face, but it was the character with the biggest upgrade in term of graphic, especially the face details.

Onestly, if the level of graphic in today trailer is gonna be exactly the same,i'm gonna be a bit underwhelmed, thanks jimbo and the ancient ps4 hardware for that...
Lol, why is it on jimbo? The game got greenlit in 2017 a PS4 game. Jim became the SIE head in 2019.

Other than that, I think the vegetation/trees/leaves are going to be incredible. They already look great in the in-engine trailer, and grass/trees/leaves also look fantastic in Ratchet & Clank. I think Sony teams have found a way to make them look incredibly beautiful.

I'd also disagree regarding skin detailing. I think they look truly next gen. Even devs like Cherno praised how beautiful the skin rendering was in that HFW debut trailer.

Let's see what they show us today. I'm hyped!

GymWolf

Gold Member
Lol, why is it on jimbo? The game got greenlit in 2017 a PS4 game. Jim became the SIE head in 2019.

Other than that, I think the vegetation/trees/leaves are going to be incredible. They already look great in the in-engine trailer, and grass/trees/leaves also look fantastic in Ratchet & Clank. I think Sony teams have found a way to make them look incredibly beautiful.

I'd also disagree regarding skin detailing. I think they look truly next gen. Even devs like Cherno praised how beautiful the skin rendering was in that HFW debut trailer.

Let's see what they show us today. I'm hyped!
Yeah maybe i was a bit too severe with the skin thing, but he really doesn't look noticeably better than horizon 1, and still a bit gamey compared to the black guy on tlou2 (the boss of the villains) or even stupid ass mask man from death stranding (but maybe this is my personal sensation)
9002fb167b3d85187f0fca32f00648cfd34eea1e.gifv

a03d47640e20c73e70758c15a6703319.jpg

And it is the same for the 2 npc picking up the red venomy plant that you can see in the trailer, they are not really a huge upgrade when npcs look like this in horizon 1 even on this low res pic

2.jpg

I don't know, the game doesn't fully look like a generation apart in many many aspects (andit is clearly not since it has to run on a fucking ps4)

Better water and vegetation are great but i was expecting a higher jumps for the other things too, again, i think people forget how good horizon still looks today.

My hope is that the first reveal was an old build and the trailer of today is gonna be much better, but i have my doubts and i'm usually a realistic\pessimistic guy.

Don't get me wrong, horizon was my gotg by a large margin and there is nobody in this forum more eager to see\play the sequel, but i can still be harsh if something doesn't resonate with me.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Yeah maybe i was a bit too severe with the skin thing, but he really doesn't look noticeably better than horizon 1, and still a bit gamey compared to the black guy on tlou2 (the boss of the villains) or even stupid ass mask man from death stranding (but maybe this is my personal sensation)
9002fb167b3d85187f0fca32f00648cfd34eea1e.gifv

a03d47640e20c73e70758c15a6703319.jpg

And it is the same for the 2 npc picking up the red venomy plant that you can see in the trailer, they are not really a huge uograde when npc look like this in horizon 1

2.jpg

I don't know, the game doesn't fully look like a generation apart in many many aspects (andit is clearly not since it has to run on a fucking ps4)

Better water and vegetation are great but i was expecting a higher jumps for the other things too, again, i think people forget how good horizon still looks today.

My hope is that the first reveal was an old build and the trailer of today is gonna be much better, but i have my doubt and i'm usially a realist\pessimistic guy.

Don't get me wrong, horizon was my gotg by a large margin and there is nobody in this forum more eager to see\play the sequel, but i can still be harsh if something doesn't resonate with me.
You definitely can, mate. I'm excited, too, And as you said, I have many expectations tempered because it's cross gen. I, too, would have preferred it were only a PS5 exclusive, but I understand why it's cross-gen (because it started development as the last PS4 game to be released, but got delayed).

Either way, I'm excited. Hoping to see a lot of good stuff today that we can drool over and discuss tomorrow. Cheers!

GymWolf

Gold Member
You definitely can, mate. I'm excited, too, And as you said, I have many expectations tempered because it's cross gen. I, too, would have preferred it were only a PS5 exclusive, but I understand why it's cross-gen (because it started development as the last PS4 game to be released, but got delayed).

Either way, I'm excited. Hoping to see a lot of good stuff today that we can drool over and discuss tomorrow. Cheers!
I talk big but i'm gonna be screaming like a little bitch tonight in front of my tv when they are gonna release the trailer.

I have the perfect plan too, some sashimi and tempura, some dried spicy boar meat, some chinotto drink and free very loud burps.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I talk big but i'm gonna be screaming like a little bitch tonight in front of my tv when they are gonna release the trailer.

I have the perfect plan too, some sashimi and tempura, some dried spicy boar meat, some chinotto drink and free very loud burps.
Haha. I'll be streaming at 2 a.m. in the morning for me, though, so no live fun for me. But I know what's the first thing I'm doing tomorrow morning.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
wonder how it will look compared to the UE5 demo , in herman hulst we trust

Don't think both will be comparable. UE5 is simply photorealism, but due to being 1080p it has that slight feel of slightly off-focus camera.

image.png

The only things that Horizon will have better is the art style, vegetation, and razor-sharp image.

EazV490WsAktKJw

Although Horizon FW looks insanely good, it's not aiming for 1:1 photorealism like UE5.

Don't think both will be comparable. UE5 is simply photorealism, but due to being 1080p it has that slight feel of slightly off-focus camera.

image.png

The only things that Horizon will have better is the art style, vegetation, and razor-sharp image.

EazV490WsAktKJw

Although Horizon FW looks insanely good, it's not aiming for 1:1 photorealism like UE5.
Nor should it aim for photorealism. Photorealism ages terribly as tech evolves and even that aside, it gets terribly boring. Some games can make photorealism work, but most fail. I prefer a more stylized look and Horizon had some really awesome art direction. I'd really just like see them improve lighting the most, it's one of the few areas that bugged me graphically. It wasn't outright bad in any way, but it just felt off to me for some reason.

Last edited:

MastaKiiLA

Does Twitch have better stream quality than YouTube?
People say that, but I've had issues with Twitch. Between the YT TV app, and Twitch TV app, YT has been more stable for these Sony shows. Fewer stutters for me.

That said, quality shouldn't be a priority, just stability. It's always best to wait for the 4k video that will be uploaded after the show.

Malakhov

Banned
I'm very very hyped for forbidden west. It was probably my favorite PS4 game tied with last of us.

It was the game that finally got me back into completing games after a gaming burnout

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Not going to lie, seeing Bruno cry made me happy.

dd87eb4b-9015-4c16-9308-f380bd4eb8cd_text.gif

Nor should it aim for photorealism. Photorealism ages terribly as tech evolves and even that aside, it gets terribly boring. Some games can make photorealism work, but most fail. I prefer a more stylized look and Horizon had some really awesome art direction. I'd really just like see them improve lighting the most, it's one of the few areas that bugged me graphically. It wasn't outright bad in any way, but it just felt off to me for some reason.

Good points. Smart GI solutions like Lumen that is less expensive (but less accurate) than RT GI would add so much to gaming without that performance hit.

Last edited:

MastaKiiLA

Anyone worried about the time of the show, just know that the preshow starts 11pm for me, and the main show at 4am. Luckily, I'm usually up until 5 or 6, so I'll be awake for the 4k upload post-show.

Top Bottom