• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon MMORPG by NC Soft pretty much confirmed in job offers and Linkedin stuff (Project Skyline)

Draugoth

Gold Member

Via some LinkedIn stuff and job offer details we have more info and basically official confirmation of the title:
  • An NC Soft employee posted a job offer for a "Skyline" codenamed project that has the logo font from Horizon
  • This Project Skyline was previously codenament "Project H" (H = Horizon)
  • Job offer defines it as "open world PC/Mobile MMORPG through collaboration with famous overseas IP" and that "can show actionable combat and different narratives"
  • Unreal Engine 5
  • Under production since (at least) 2021
  • Expected to launch significantly later than Aion 2, which is anticipated to be released in 2024/2025 (who knows, maybe around 2027/2028)
  • The project is developed in Sung-Gu Lee's 'Lineage IP division' and is led by Hong-Young Choi who previously was head of Lineage W development
  • Around 140 people worked on the project in September 2023. This is a very significant number, comparable to other more advanced and already announced NC Soft projects, such as Lineage M (136) and Lineage W (147)

P.S.: NC Soft and Korean devs normally don't develop for console, they are used to work on PC and mobile. The job offer doesn't mention a PS5 version but maybe because since it isn't the expertise of Korean devs, or maybe because someone else (probably Guerrilla) may be handling the PS5 version while NC Soft focuses on the platforms where they an Korean devs are familiar with (PC+mobile). Or maybe they thought that mentioning there console or PS5 would be too obvious that they are making this game for Sony after announcing the deal with them.

But who knows, Guerrilla is making an MP game targeted for PS5 western players different than this project which could be targeted to Asian mobile/PC players. If you ask my personal opinion, I'd bet Guerrilla + NC Soft are teaming up in a single game that would target the whole PS+PC+mobile worldwide audience, and would be released as a crossgen launch PS6 title.

Sony were pretty clear about expanding onto mobile so this new MMO being PC and Mobile first kinda makes sense.

I also don't think Guerilla wants to be caught up in porting and updating this MMO for the PS5, so it will probably be handled by NCsoft themselves or another support studio with Unreal Engine experience.

nial

Gold Member
Sony were pretty clear about expanding onto mobile
They always are, really. After they released Nyorokko (2021) from their Japanese-focused Forwardworks mobile publishing arm, they created PlayStation Studios Mobile and have since then acquired a mobile game company. Also, from this NCSoft title to Team Asobi working with an external studio for a mobile game, it looks like it will be more Asian-focused, again.

Killjoy-NL

My teenage daughter loves the Horizon Universe, but I'm still befuddled why a grown man would. I've got a feeling if the exact same game came out of a 3rd party dev, it would get a ton less love from people.
As a grown man, Horizon has great gameplay, it's an open-world game with robodinos, amazing graphics with great tech, outstanding animations and high production-value.
Story isn't the best, but it's good, same goes for the lore.
I certainly prefer the Horizon-franchise over Uncharted, Ratchet &Clank, Spiderman, God of War, TLOU and any other Sony franchise (minus the Team ICO games).

What makes you 'befuddled' about a grown man loving Horizon?
A female protagonist?

Last edited:

simpatico

As a grown man, Horizon has great gameplay, it's an open-world game with robodinos, amazing graphics with great tech, outstanding animations and high production-value.
Story isn't the best, but it's good, same goes for the lore.
I certainly prefer the Horizon-franchise over Uncharted, Ratchet &Clank, Spiderman, God of War, TLOU and any other Sony franchise (minus the Team ICO games).

What makes you 'befuddled' about a grown man loving Horizon?
A female protagonist?
Teen lit writing. Vomit tier aesthetics on the human characters. The gameplay is the only redeeming quality, which is sure to be stripped out of an NCSoft MMO version of it. The worse thing about Horizon is the only part that will make it into the MMO. The characters. Making the lead character a man with a wacky head dress and feather skirt would not make the game better at all.

Last edited:

Mortisfacio

This would probably fit. I never played the second one, but Zero Dawn made me feel like I was playing an MMO without any of the social aspect. Lot of boring running around to do fetch quests. At least in MMOs there's the social aspect. It's the #1 reason WoW was enjoyable for me. The Barrens sucks. Lot of 5+ minute runs doing nothing but running, but at least can interact with other players and the chat while I'm auto-running. Maybe help others along the way. Zero Dawn felt like the same boring Barrens run, just no people or anything else to entertain me along the way. Would serve better as an MMO.

Last edited:

CSJ

Everything about this from it being NC Soft, to the mention of Mobile, and of the Lineage IP division has me fuckin' sitting here like; what?
Yuck. I'd be surprised if I like it and I honestly love Horizon.

reinking

Gold Member
I am less of a gaming snob than I used to be. If it is good, even on mobile, I will still play it. See what Nintendo has done to me by not releasing a true pocket sized portable? I am becoming more of a phone gamer with each passing day.

Killjoy-NL

Teen lit writing. Vomit tier aesthetics on the human characters. The gameplay is the only redeeming quality, which is sure to be stripped out of an NCSoft MMO version of it. The worse thing about Horizon is the only part that will make it into the MMO. The characters. Making the lead character a man with a wacky head dress and feather skirt would not make the game better at all.
Looking at the setting and inspiration for the game, the clothing makes a lot of sense.

Humanity has been reset, so they develop similar to ancient cultures throughout history, some of whom to this day still wear similar wacky feather clothes.

keraj37

My teenage daughter loves the Horizon Universe, but I'm still befuddled why a grown man would. I've got a feeling if the exact same game came out of a 3rd party dev, it would get a ton less love from people.

+1
Also destroying giant steel robots with a bow....

simpatico

+1
Also destroying giant steel robots with a bow....
One of these days an evil mad scientist is gonna build their army with hidden weak spots and it’s gonna be so over for cheesy prot
Looking at the setting and inspiration for the game, the clothing makes a lot of sense.

Humanity has been reset, so they develop similar to ancient cultures throughout history, some of whom to this day still wear similar wacky feather clothes.
they’re struggling to survive under the boot of a robot dinosaur horde and they spend precious time and resources making decorative headdresses that compromise stealth. Great idea.

Last edited:

Jinzo Prime

I am less of a gaming snob than I used to be. If it is good, even on mobile, I will still play it. See what Nintendo has done to me by not releasing a true pocket sized portable? I am becoming more of a phone gamer with each passing day.
A phone sized handheld that's super thick for a fan and battery would be great.

simpatico

You can break apart every single game with such logic.
Listen, if I’m in that situation, I’m 1000% scrapping together a plate carrier from Dino parts and fighting with my dick out. Especially with thick chunky hotties like Aloy walking around.

reinking

Gold Member
they’re struggling to survive under the boot of a robot dinosaur horde and they spend precious time and resources making decorative headdresses that compromise stealth. Great idea.
Who is the to say the headdresses were not originally created to confuse the sensors on some of the dino-bots? I am not saying that is the case but to completely dismiss the headdresses is silly since it identifies tribe and probably standing in that tribe. That is a lot of the game's story.

Killjoy-NL

Listen, if I’m in that situation, I’m 1000% scrapping together a plate carrier from Dino parts and fighting with my dick out. Especially with thick chunky hotties like Aloy walking around.
People also wore masks for 2 years trying to prevent catching a cold, so wearing clothing like in Horizon isn't the worst thing to imagine.

simpatico

People also wore masks for 2 years trying to prevent catching a cold, so wearing clothing like in Horizon isn't the worst thing to imagine.
That was a side effect of living for 100 years without one iota of danger. The mind turns to pancake batter. These people would not be afflicted with such mental atrophy.

Killjoy-NL

That was a side effect of living for 100 years without one iota of danger. The mind turns to pancake batter. These people would not be afflicted with such mental atrophy.
You know, this is getting us nowhere.
It's not like I mind people disliking Horizon. To each his own.

i really enjoyed, & replayed, zero dawn. but, aside from its bad-ass menagerie, & it's ludicrous fashion obsession, there's nothing really so striking or distinctive about the world itself that i felt it even warranted a sequel. never mind that the game ended so perfectly...

tmlDan

Honestly, this just seems like you're insecure. Why would a grown man not like Horizon?

Lethal01

The brainrot was coming the people who complained about a little piece of cloth to prevent the spead of a sickness.

Top Bottom