• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT2| Red Head Redemption

JoeNut

Right but when I fought my first bellowback my fire arrows were not effective at all, every time I hit the damn thing the fire gauge on the machine moves by a really really small amount and then I have to roll to dodge the fire spit attack. By the time I could aim again the fire gauge had expired and I'd have to build it up again. Not that I was ever able to get it past 25% in the first place

I have the blue hunter bow rn, is that too low?
You're using fire vs fire. You need ice. Freeze them with the freeze bombs then use arrows on the weak points, it doubles the damage when it's frozen. After about 4 arrows they then explode and this causes further damage. Rinse repeat

Floody

So people playing on Ultra Hard, what's been giving you the most trouble?
For me it's been the
Glinthawks
, they spot you from a mile away and swarm you, nothing else has really came close yet. Was surprised how much easier I found the
Stormbird
in comparison.

Haven't fought a
Rockbreaker
yet though and they were wankers on hard, so not looking forward to them.

shiba5

So people playing on Ultra Hard, what's been giving you the most trouble?
For me it's been the
Glinthawks
, they spot you from a mile away and swarm you, nothing else has really came close yet. Was surprised how much easier I found the
Stormbird
in comparison.

Haven't fought a
Rockbreaker
yet though and they were wankers on hard, so not looking forward to them.

The Glinthawks are definitely the worst. That one main quest where you can't avoid them was super annoying. I shoot them with fire arrows until they drop, then I tie them down and just hit them until they die. Whoever designed them is a sadist.

shiba5

Triple arrow fire > glint. I almost feel sorry for them as the burn alive.

Yeah, this does work the best. I still hate them though.

Finished Ultra Hard. The only time I had a little trouble was with Helis. I swear he launched himself from the complete other side of the platform and got me once.

I really wish NG+ allowed you to play through the Young Aloy section of the game (and the initial Rost intro) if you want to. I think it's full of a lot of really effective storytelling.

Cornbread78

I really wish NG+ allowed you to play through the Young Aloy section of the game (and the initial Rost intro) if you want to. I think it's full of a lot of really effective storytelling.

This reminds me..

I'm near the end of the game and I just played through the whole return to the
Mountain part
Aloy was certainly at her best right there.
Pulling the Elders and the villagers up and telling them to STFU, fu(k off and stand up and fight for themselves
was just plain outstanding right there.. I really liked the whole mission from start to finish with action and story.... So freakin' good.

shiba5

I found a bug with the Adept Tripcaster and the Nora Hunting Ground blast wire trial. I could see the blast wire killing the Grazers, but the kills weren't registering. I'd have dead Grazers everywhere and a message that said, "Not enough machines left," with zero kills registered.
I normally can do this trial on the first try, but I couldn't finish it at all - I tried probably 15 times. So I went and bought the Carja Tripcaster and yep, first try. I never had a problem with the Shadow version either.

Doomsayer

Anyone having issues with trophies? I hit level 41 last night and when I hit 40 the trophy came up, but it isn't registering in my trophy list? Am I boned with the Platinum?

Also had a pretty awesome run last night.

In the corrupted area with 2 Rockbreakers there is a Ravager settlement pretty close by. I crept in slowly and overrode one Ravager and used tears arrows to tear off the guns of the other 2 patrolling the area. As they all fought (they kept doing the AoE attack and injuring eachother), I took the last hit on the 2 that were attacking my overridden Ravager. Used another tear arrow on my buddy and took him out. By now, the Rockbreakers got word that I was there. So they start coming over, but much to their dismay I have 3 Ravager cannons and just MELTED them. It was fucking amazing.

Quick question as well--when do you find
Rockbreakers
that aren't corrupted? I haven't ran into them yet.

Cornbread78

Anyone having issues with trophies? I hit level 41 last night and when I hit 40 the trophy came up, but it isn't registering in my trophy list? Am I boned with the Platinum?

Also had a pretty awesome run last night.

In the corrupted area with 2 Rockbreakers there is a Ravager settlement pretty close by. I crept in slowly and overrode one Ravager and used tears arrows to tear off the guns of the other 2 patrolling the area. As they all fought (they kept doing the AoE attack and injuring eachother), I took the last hit on the 2 that were attacking my overridden Ravager. Used another tear arrow on my buddy and took him out. By now, the Rockbreakers got word that I was there. So they start coming over, but much to their dismay I have 3 Ravager cannons and just MELTED them. It was fucking amazing.

Quick question as well--when do you find
Rockbreakers
that aren't corrupted? I haven't ran into them yet.

That's just cheating! I had a bitch of a time with that part... I finally found a way to cheese it by crossing the little river on the other side of the field, then drawing the idiots to the river back, where they couldn't get me and I just lit them up with fire arrows until they finally died...

Doomsayer

That's just cheating! I had a bitch of a time with that part... I finally found a way to cheese it by crossing the little river on the other side of the field, then drawing the idiots to the river back, where they couldn't get me and I just lit them up with fire arrows until they finally died...

It was my first encounter with them, I ran up to the corrupted zone and saw their size and immediately nope'd out of there. This game...

shiba5

I overrode 3 Snapmaws and one of the Shell Walkers from the convoy that passes through the area. They were all fighting the Rockbreakers. It was beautiful chaos.

shiba5

I love the photo mode so freakin much.

PSwQuF6.jpg

Quantum

I picked this game up on release and played a few hours - it was a very good looking game - but I quickly got bored - got pulled to a ton of other games - I had played until I had just left the starting area/first serious mech fight.

recently I finished prey and did a run with the new necro class in D3, but kept reading how everyone fell in love with this game.

three days ago I started playing again - initially frustrated that I forgot how to control the weapons but was not going to play the first few hours again - no repeat little aloy for me!

I played for two hours to get my bearings

two days ago I got my "controller feel" back and was pulled in following the main quest - tugged seamlessly into one side quest after another - doing them and realizing I didn't feel like oh well - I guess I do this side quest to power up - just - this feels right.

four hours later I thought- yeah I get it, this is a good game.

yesterday I progressed a bit into the main story - still being pulled seamlessly into side quests, pulled from the main story - now not even realizing I'm off script - organically hunting for the feel/love of it.

I almost woke up late for work.

I get it. this is one of the best games I've played. I understand the need for the initial set-up but I really dislike the intro and the beginning of the game - I'm so glad that there are so many positive reviews and I jumped back in.

I think I put in 8 hours today and have off tomorrow - this has easily become my goty.

/tldr - this game is great, wish the intro/first few hours were better presented.

Ramzy

Friendos, i'm experiencing a severe bout of multiplayer exhaustion at the moment. I've been playing Heroes of the Storm, PUBG, Rainbow 6, Squad, GTAV, and others i can't remember, but lately i can't bring myself to play anything for very long before just exiting and scrolling through GAF/reddit for hours on end.

I enjoyed the everloving fuck out of Red Dead (only finished it last year), as well as The Last of Us.

I sold my PS4 a long while back to a friend who was low on cash and had his PS4 break down. I wasn't using it that much since finishing TLoU.

So my question is -- is this game worth buying a PS4 for? Could it help cure my multilpayer exhaustion?

leng jai

Friendos, i'm experiencing a severe bout of multiplayer exhaustion at the moment. I've been playing Heroes of the Storm, PUBG, Rainbow 6, Squad, GTAV, and others i can't remember, but lately i can't bring myself to play anything for very long before just exiting and scrolling through GAF/reddit for hours on end.

I enjoyed the everloving fuck out of Red Dead (only finished it last year), as well as The Last of Us.

I sold my PS4 a long while back to a friend who was low on cash and had his PS4 break down. I wasn't using it that much since finishing TLoU.

So my question is -- is this game worth buying a PS4 for? Could it help cure my multilpayer exhaustion?

Game has some RDR vibes to it so it should be right up your alley. It's a good game, not sure it's worth buying a console for if you're not going to play anything else on it.

JoeNut

/tldr - this game is great, wish the intro/first few hours were better presented.
Interesting, i quite enjoyed the first part of the game as a young Aloy because it establishes the relationship she has with Rost. without this it'd feel kind of empty.

But i guess it depends on what you want from the game, and the mood you're in - if you just want to kill some baddies then yeah, the start's slow

Quantum

Interesting, i quite enjoyed the first part of the game as a young Aloy because it establishes the relationship she has with Rost. without this it'd feel kind of empty.

But i guess it depends on what you want from the game, and the mood you're in - if you just want to kill some baddies then yeah, the start's slow

I have to say I honestly forgot about the relationship, it was long enough between my first play and the time I really got into it - Perhaps I haven't gotten far enough into the story to see where he ties back in to who she becomes. At this point in the story she certainly does not act like she was raised by him.

If asked to remember, Rost acted like he exiled himself and refused to interact with the tribe - almost asymmetrically - he acted and raised Aloy to never be involved with others - then went on to support her during the trials and ultimately fell on his sword saying he would no longer speak with her - His own actions are confusing to me and I don't see them in the decisions and actions of his 'daughter' in the subsequent story -

I am fully enjoying Aloy as a strong independent female character and haven't thought of her relationship to Rost with respect to where I am in the story line. She acts/behaves nothing like him as a character and is refreshing in that she always seems to be given very positive options when dealing with other characters.

The whole psychology of the Nora
bothers the hell out of me - it makes no sense from a survival standpoint and pretty much every early quest is designed to show how stupid the decision to exile people for almost any reason becomes -

maybe I was thinking too much about it, but, personally I think the first few hours felt tacked on and didn't respect the character Aloy becomes. Certainly I have not finished the game and if it goes on to explain Rosts' actions and his behavior I will have a very different opinion of Rost

I've loved TLoU, RDR and Horizon, so, if you like these games for the same reasons I did, you'll probably like it. It's got some of the best ranged combat in an open world game (quite a tad more involved than RDR), a very, very good story, some pretty compelling characters. It's not as personal as TLoU, but it's more relatable, in a way. Aloy is such a great main character.

So, IMO, it's worth rebuying a system for it. Also, there's some other cool stuff coming out for PS4 soon, like Uncharted: The Lost Legacy, God of War and Shadow of the Colossus. It's a good time to have a PS4 in general.

If asked to remember, Rost acted like he exiled himself and refused to interact with the tribe - almost asymmetrically - he acted and raised Aloy to never be involved with others - then went on to support her during the trials and ultimately fell on his sword saying he would no longer speak with her - His own actions are confusing to me and I don't see them in the decisions and actions of his 'daughter' in the subsequent story -

It's not quite asymmetrically, no. You'll eventually find out why. I'd say Rost's actions are pretty consistent within their belief system - the thing is that their belief system is quite alien to us.

KevinG

40 hours.

Level 42.

At the last mission, almost the point of no return (where the game sets you back to after the end of the game).

Trying to decide if I really care about getting all the trophies, all side/errand quests or doing all the of he open world collectathons.

I've had fun, but maybe I should wrap it up and move on. Don't want to get fatigued on it while I'm still high on it. Go out on a high note.

RodzTF

Been knocking back the side quests/errands before I tackle the last few main quests and by god, the "highlight tracks" mechanic is used way way wayyyy too much. I thought Witcher 3 was bad for it. Got to the point now where I'm just skimming dialogue and knocking them back just to get them out of the way.

On the other hand, the main quest has been absolutely fantastic.

Cornbread78

40 hours.

Level 42.

At the last mission, almost the point of no return (where the game sets you back to after the end of the game).

Trying to decide if I really care about getting all the trophies, all side/errand quests or doing all the of he open world collectathons.

I've had fun, but maybe I should wrap it up and move on. Don't want to get fatigued on it while I'm still high on it. Go out on a high note.

Exactly where I'm at when I log on tonight. I just need to kill a trampler and one of those stupid freeze bugs for two trophies, but I'm not going to waste my time trying to do all the item collection or to level up to lvl 50 for those trophies... I have too many games sitting on the shelf waiting for me to boot up.

Melchiah

Same here. I wish there was an option to play the first part again on NG+.

RodzTF

Finished the main quest. So refreshing to see such a strong story in an open world. One of the best I've experienced. The lore is so deep, well written.

32~ hours in with 82% trophy completion. Just got the collectibles, grazer dummies and a couple more blazing suns to achieve.

Venture

There's something I've been wondering about since I started playing. Does anyone know what the Ancient Sculpture is supposed to be?

vDOEadu.png

I never could figure that one out.

"Alexa, what's your favorite video game"
"I'm currently obsessed with Horizon Zero Dawn. Shooting robot dinosaurs is a blast and the storyline almost blew my circuits"

shiba5

That had crossed my mind. I think you're right, thanks.

An oil lamp maybe.

They don't light up though. Meridian also has advanced lighting.
I thought maybe they were Glinthawk deterrent since they are all around the edges, but they never do anything.

Edit: They do seem to light up the ground beneath them at night, but there's no obvious light source.

Arion

The camera is really weird in this game. For what ever reason it keeps shifting around so some times Aloy is centered on the right side of the screen and then moments later Aloy is on the left side of the screen. Is there a way to lock it down?

Floody

Is there anyway to lower the difficulty of NG+? Finished it but don't really want my first DLC playthrough to be on Ultra Hard.

Finally get to start playing this game today, what skills should I level up first?

Any that allow you to slow down time and double and triple arrow shot are great.

RodzTF

Platinum #24 achieved. 35~ hours.

One of the most fun platinums to achieve for sure, and didn't include a collectathon.

Last trophy I got was for tidying up the final Blazing Suns (ravager control was tricky at first).

Top Bottom