• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Zero Dawn | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have they actually confirmed something like the bottom point is possible? Getting chased and cut of constantly until you have to just go through and on top of buildings to try and escape, sounds really cool.
Edit: Should add I mean unscripted too, just something that could happen naturally.
Yeah, I recall them saying the horde is unscripted, and we've seen you followed through buildings and zombies crashing through windows in the E3 demo

SomTervo

Have they actually confirmed something like the bottom point is possible? Getting chased and cut of constantly until you have to just go through and on top of buildings to try and escape, sounds really cool.
Edit: Should add I mean unscripted too, just something that could happen naturally.

I believe that's literally the game's main selling point

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
These guys are long into the game but they sound like at someone at the top of their hype for a long awaited and soon to be released sequel.
I feel the praise all-around sound stronger for Horizon than it did last year for UC4 despite MC.

I had a feeling that Horizon was going to be something special just hearing the developers talk about the game. I don't know what it is exactly but I always get a feeling hearing certain developers talk about certain games. Its like they know full well they have something that is going to be incredible and not out of shear arrogance or anything, but a knowledge that is basically "We made something great". I got that vibe a lot from hearing Herman and the others at GG speak about the game. Its not always a given of course, I've been off on this before but I really did have a good feeling about Horizon

Floody

Yeah, I recall them saying the horde is unscripted, and we've seen you followed through buildings and zombies crashing through windows in the E3 demo

Damn, my mind is running wild with Uncharted style the world is crumbling around you type set pieces now. If they can pull that off without it feeling scripted could be something special. I'll certainly be keeping an eye on it.

I believe that's literally the game's main selling point

Yeah, I remember watching the demo for it and thinking this would be really cool if it can happen outside of a story mission or scripted event, had no idea it actually could though.

reKon

Banned
Well for one guns are useful in L4D whereas Days Gone they look rather useless on the horde and the demo gave the player an assault rifle with 750 bullets, tons of explosives, and basically turned the AI off on the horde as they don't attack him when up close, just run after him. The fact even with all that and the player was barely making a dent most of the time was really exciting for me. You can't just shoot your way out even with overpowering weapons and tons of ammo. Most games don't focus on tactical retreats like Days Gone did from those couple of videos alone and that kind of stuff really excites me. That and of course its an open world sandbox with vehicles to basically what is a corridor mp shooter.

Also not sure what the wikipedia description really has to do with anything.

It doesn't. I just think it's hilarious long, but couldn't be more accurate

KORNdoggy

I'm definitely excited for Days Gone, which is surprising given that i felt the reveal was a bit underwhelming. I expect it's a game that's very difficult to showcase in a small gameplay demo. When Sony Bend speaks about the game it sounds like it will have much more nuanced gameplay systems, not just mindlessly blasting through a horde of zombies. It's an excited year for the zombie survival fans, we get State of Decay 2 this year as well (presumably).

I'm excited too. I thought it looked amazing. Like a daryl dixon simulator. Lol. I think the biggest mistake bend made is they approached the gameplay demo as a technical demonstration, not as a normal verticle slice of gameplay. It was about showing the fluidity of the enemies and how they constantly follow in huge groups. And then basically gave the player infinite ammo to mow them all down. I'd imagine the game proper won't let you even get close to doing that latter bit. I'd imagine ammo is relatively scarce.

Garlador

"Uncharted 4 graphics in a massive open world with no load times"

How? HOW?!
leviconjmephistop.jpg

Mosse

Neo Member

I think the one thing that both Horizon and Days Gone have in common is those unscripted enemy encounters. Horizon looks amazing with the different tactics you need to use to take down the machines and how different unscripted scenarios can play out depending on your surroundings. And if Bend succeed with what they've shown and said, then I think the dynamics in how you fight of the horde will set them apart from other games.

Damn, my mind is running wild with Uncharted style the world is crumbling around you type set pieces now. If they can pull that off without it feeling scripted could be something special. I'll certainly be keeping an eye on it.
This was one of my favorite moments from the extended demo. Also shows that the demo wasn't scripted because the player goes a different route than the stage demo

SeveralAnchoredHumpbackwhale.gif

ArmGunar

This was one of my favorite moments from the extended demo. Also shows that the demo wasn't scripted because the player goes a different route than the stage demo

DAT World War Z moment, it was so intense !
Knowing that sequence was unscripted, it's more impressive

woahitsshant

Neo Member
I'm excited too. I thought it looked amazing. Like a daryl dixon simulator. Lol. I think the biggest mistake bend made is they approached the gameplay demo as a technical demonstration, not as a normal verticle slice of gameplay. It was about showing the fluidity of the enemies and how they constantly follow in huge groups. And then basically gave the player infinite ammo to mow them all down. I'd imagine the game proper won't let you even get close to doing that latter bit. I'd imagine ammo is relatively scarce.

I hope ammo is scarce, that's the impression they've made in interviews. It wouldn't make sense if resource management was integral to the gameplay loop (health, gasoline, etc) but ammunition was as plentiful as showcased. Also, It'll be criminal if the game doesn't feature a crossbow and stealth mechanics. They need to attract the Walking Dead fanboys.

Floody

Thanks, had no idea they had a different route video up.
Game could make a decent horror game, Imagine having to deal with that at night.

HStallion

Once the game does launches I would love to hear about the multiplayer ideas that GG was thinking about but dropped for Horizon. I know some of the early art that was leaked had multiple people seemingly working together to take down the robo dinos. That or they add multiplayer into Horizon 2 which I could easily see. Give us Western RoboMonster Hunter

VanWinkle

Only very light RPG elements I'd say - none of the Far Cry games has ever felt like an RPG to me, not in the way that something like Deus Ex does.

Well, let's put it like this. The depth of its RPG mechanics are closer to something like Far Cry, but it's structured more like an RPG, with its towns/cities, dialogue choices, and quest structure.

ArmGunar

Thanks, had no idea they had a different route video up.
Game could make a decent horror game, Imagine having to deal with that at night.

Open world in Oregon with different climats like desert, mountains (with snow), etc...
Day/night cycle

Glad Bend Studios make a new IP (like Guerrilla with Horizon)

I havent been very aware of opencritic before. I gotta say I vastly prefer the transparency of their system there. The histogram is nice, and no weighting is way better than some arbitrary weighting scheme metacritic uses, even if its close to the average (sometimes).

Anyways, here's a histogram of the metacritic scores (80 samples). Mean is 88.46 and median is 90. It does seem like most reviewers really loved the game.

scores_hist.png

it is crazy since Bend was on the down low doing portable games (I know U :GA is pretty good) but for them to jump into a AAA title for their console return

Hopefully it works out for them since it seems Sony's current strategy is giving their studios more freedom for them to mature into monsters

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Sure dude. Again, this is something I was really worried about and while she does it more in the initial hour or so (for expository/tutorial purposes) it seemed to significantly drop off as I played. She does drop in the odd comment as she walks around: occasionally when you pick things up there'll be a 'this'll come in handy' or when you stumble a 'I need to be more careful', but largely it's unintrusive.

Obviously, it'll remain to be seen how often the lines cycle. I got very tired of hearing Geralt's 'What now, you piece of filth?" every time I drew my sword, but Aloy's are generally less specific, so might not stick out so much.

Also, a small thing, but her background as an outsider who has had very little contact with other human beings makes talking to herself seem a much more rational and natural thing.

Thanks very much! That sounds fine. Initial chat for the sake of tutorial/exposition is to be expected in this kind of game. I haven't played The Witcher 3, but yeah that sounds tiresome. If you have any other impressions going forward do let us know!

Some more quotes from the Beyond podcast:
"This is the new standard for what an action RPG is...It's less of an RPG than something like Witcher but it's so much more of an RPG than the previous Zelda was, or Watch Dogs, Far Cry..."
"Taking down a boss in Bloodborne is like nothing else, but this is a very close second"

Now that I've watched the Kinda Funny Spoiler-Free Review:

1) I'm more hyped for this game than I've been for a game in years.
2) That's a great fucking review and you should watch it!

HStallion

They comparing bosses to Bloodborne? The fuck? Damn that's some of the best praise a game can really get.

reKon

Banned
They comparing bosses to Bloodborne? The fuck? Damn that's some of the best praise a game can really get.

I already mentioned that the only other game I can think of big enemies that crazy is Bloodborne. In the impressions thread there were gameplay clips posted of some of the crazier fights. It was definitely something I haven't seen in a open world game before.

HStallion

I already mentioned that the only other game I can think of big enemies that crazy is Bloodborne. In the impressions thread there were gameplay clips posted of some of the crazier fights. It was definitely something I haven't seen in a open world game before.

I was in the impressions thread but rarely clicked on any gifs or pictures and didn't read any spoiler tags so I'm still in the dark on a lot of things/

Yup
https://youtu.be/L9lS1Sgr8kI?t=2039
Two of them say it's right behind Bloodborne as the best PS4 exclusive, the other that it's easily in the top five. And then they say Bloodborne is like their top game of this generation, with the highest highs, followed by the comparison between this and Bloodborne

A comparison to Bloodborne ... is extremely high praise, in my book. I'll take a full helping of challenging, frustrating, and ultimately fulfilling combat against Robot dinosaurs.

Alo0oy

Banned
I think Days Gone's problem is that what they showed looked boring, but what they talked about (everything being interactable, the survival aspects, fuel, inventory...etc) is cool. So they need to show the systems they talked about in order for me to get interested. Otherwise, it looks very bland.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom