• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How bad is 8GB of VRAM in 2023?

Bojji

Video made by Daniel Owen (he has one of the best GPU reviews on YT right now):

Average results (can be much higher in terms of 1% lows)

kB12edv.png

With settings turned down it looks better for 8GB GPU but still not perfect:

FuGTxt2.png

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
just turn down settings and game a happy man. Ya don't need raytraced ballsack hairs to enjoy a game, and Ultra 99% of the time is a useless preset in the short term only available for futureproofing. This isn't 2006 anymore, Low/medium settings now look pretty much 80% of what ultra is for a 200% performance gain.

Last edited:

//DEVIL//

anything 4070ti and under is going to be shit if you are buying new sadly. you need 16gb. even the 6800xt is a better card IMO than the 4070 over the ram alone.

Bojji

just turn down settings and game a happy man. Ya don't need raytraced ballsack hairs to enjoy a game, and Ultra 99% of the time is a useless preset in the short term only available for futureproofing. This isn't 2006 anymore, Low/medium settings now look pretty much 80% of what ultra is for a 200% performance gain.

So pay 400$ for a GPU and play on low? You can get series s for that purpose.

Planning to build a PC but not sure if I should go with a 4070ti or 7900 XT, prefer the better ray tracing but only 12GB VRAM compared to the 20GB with XT. Also DLSS features pulling me toward Nvidia, wish AMD could match their tech. Also ray tracing much better on Nvidia.

hinch7

I mean if a person has a 8GB card they're likely more willing to lower settings so I don't think its that bad.

Unless they own something like a old Pascal card (take a 1070 for example) thats really not up to snuff with handling current generation games. Like a 6600, 3060Ti etc is perfectly fine for 1080P gaming and should be for quite a while yet. Just don't expect ultra settings, which is largely overkill for that res anyways. With that said, I wouldn't recommend anyone to buy a new card with that amount unless they were on a very very tight budget.

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
anything 4070ti and under is going to be shit if you are buying new sadly. you need 16gb. even the 6800xt is a better card IMO than the 4070 over the ram alone.
This is bogus. I wouldn't buy an 8GB card new now but they still have life in them and most of the games that had issues have been fixed.

But 12GB? It's honestly plenty and probably will be for the remainder of this consoles generation. It needs to be said how closely tied in these things are with the fact that consoles are the lead platforms.

Buggy Loop

Look, I wouldn’t recommend 8GB to even my worst enemy but.. who the fuck uses The Last of Us as a metric to make a decision? The port isn’t fixed yet. Look at that %, what a freak title.

//DEVIL//

This is bogus. I wouldn't buy an 8GB card new now but they still have life in them and most of the games that had issues have been fixed.

But 12GB? It's honestly plenty and probably will be for the remainder of this consoles generation. It needs to be said how closely tied in these things are with the fact that consoles are the lead platforms.
Sorry. Not offending people who have 12 gig cards they bought recently thinking they are good to go. it's just a fact.

when PS5 and Xbox series X have 16 gigs of shared Vram, you kinda have to know what is the lowest you need for PC is usually a bit more than consoles due to the development environment.

Them devs trying to optimize games to work on 8 and 12 gigs doesn't mean there were no sacrifices. I think hardware unboxing or whatever they are called covered that in one of their videos with that harry potter game.

and EVEN if 12 gigs is fine NOW, it won't be with big unreal engine 5 games in the horizon. assuming you playing at 4k with ray tracing.

if you are willing to go down 2k or not ultra settings, then yeah your 12 gigs are fine.

you wanna know who got the most benefit? people that bought the 3090 used for cheap when the 4090 was about to be released. that card with 24 gigs and DLSS2 ( was sold for as low as 650 USD here in Canada ), then yeah fuck that is an amazing deal.

but to pay this much for the MSRP price of 4070ti for 12 gigs? no that is not good at all. if I am spending that much money on a card, at least put proper vram in it. otherwise, you won't get my money ( which is what lots of people are doing anyway by giving Nvidia the middle finger and cards are starting to be found less than MSRP even.

Last edited:

nkarafo

Buying a 8GB card in 2023 is a big mistake. I did that with the GTX 960, i bought a 2GB card in 2014/15. But now it's even worse because at least the 960 was cheap.

I ended up with a card that had much more power than a base PS4, but got crippled by it's tiny memory pool. Some games, like RE7, i couldn't even use the same settings as the console and i had to dial it down or else i was hitting VRAM limits.

This is exactly what happens with 8GB cards already.

Kenpachii

Video made by Daniel Owen (he has one of the best GPU reviews on YT right now):

Average results (can be much higher in terms of 1% lows)

kB12edv.png

With settings turned down it looks better for 8GB GPU but still not perfect:

FuGTxt2.png

8GB is fine, if u play games, PC gamers are actually playing. Other then a few ports that struggle on max settings from games that nobody on pc even knows it exists.

Last edited:

nkarafo

8GB is fine, if u play games, PC gamers are actually playing. Other then a few ports that struggle on max settings from games that nobody on pc even knows it exists.

Depends on the price. If you bought an 8GB card in 2023 for more than 250$ you got scammed.

Hugare

I have a gaming laptop powered by a 8gb 3060 and I'm more than happy with it

I play on a 1080p monitor, so no worries here

Dont expect to play at 4K with a 8gb card.

But as long as you stick to 1080p, your card will surivve the generation and then some

Specially if you dont mind locking at 30 fps

Last edited:

Kenpachii

Depends on the price. If you bought an 8GB card in 2023 for more than 250$ you got scammed.

Twitch / blizzard / league / shooters / mmo's / steam all disagree with the fact that 8gb is to less in 2023.

The dude tested a bunch of games that nobody on PC cares about at max settings most pc gamers don't care about isn't proving anything other then him being out of touch with the market.

Just look at ingame numbers.
66 people forspoken ( wut lol )
2,200 people ratched and clank ( just released super bad )
1,400 people ( jedi survivor )
620 people the last of us
102 people returnal

Like why even bother covering any of those games.

Last edited:

Rival

Gold Member
From my perspective 12GB on my 3080ti seems completely inadequate so 8 would be really terrible.

nkarafo

Twitch / blizzard / league / shooters / mmo's / steam all disagree with the fact that 8gb is to less in 2023.

You don't need more than 250$ for a card to play Overwatch, Minecraft or Fortnite or whatever kids play online these days.

If you got a card that's more than 250$ and it only has 8GB VRAM on it, i hope you got it a few years ago at least. Because i'm sorry to say, you got scammed.

Kataploom

Gold Member
This is how I survived playing on a Vega 8 igpu until I got a better job and could afford a dedicated GPU lol.

720p to 900p at low, some stuff on medium and some others on high and game looked good enough, like console like settings, just at lower internal resolution.

Hoddi

I still think it was 100% unacceptable for nvidia to be releasing 8GB GPUs for for these prices in 2020 and nevermind in 2023.

But does the difference between 8GB and 16GB truly matter in the grander scheme? Not really. I can't think of a single instance in the past 30 years where a mere doubling of memory would be counted as 'a big difference'.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
when PS5 and Xbox series X have 16 gigs of shared Vram, you kinda have to know what is the lowest you need for PC is usually a bit more than consoles due to the development environment
You're talking out of your ass on this one. The consoles have 16GB of unified RAM, that has to be used for everything, including the OS and system functions as well as everything in the game that isn't texture assets and frame buffers and the like.

In a PC with a 12GB card, the OS isn't touching that 12GB, and there's also going to be 16+GB of system RAM for all the other stuff.

Unless you have memory leaks or you're creating massive redundancies, a PC with 12GB of VRAM is going to have a lot more memory overhead than a console.

and EVEN if 12 gigs is fine NOW, it won't be with big unreal engine 5 games in the horizon. assuming you playing at 4k with ray tracing.
Unreal Engine 5 is pretty good at streaming assets. It's performance heavy but it's not a VRAM hog like that. The games that have VRAM issues are universally bad console ports that haven't been meaningfully optimized.

if you are willing to go down 2k or not ultra settings, then yeah your 12 gigs are fine.
Let's be real if we're talking about high end UE5 stuff, everyone is gonna be using DLSS, or you're just and idiot. Native 4K is not a thing that matters anymore, it's just a benchmark point.

nkarafo

But does the difference between 8GB and 16GB truly matter in the grander scheme? Not really. I can't think of a single instance in the past 30 years where a mere doubling of memory would be counted as 'a big difference'.

It's a big difference.

But it's important to have the correct balance. A weak GPU with too much VRAM means you waste money for more VRAM than you need since the GPU will probably slow down long before it makes full use of it. A powerful GPU with too little VRAM means you are wasting money on a good GPU that will not be used efficiently in many cases since the low VRAM will bottleneck it.

This should be the correct performance to VRAM amount balance:

4050 - 8GB
4060 - 12GB (a real 4060, not the rebranded 4050 Nvidia sells)
4070 - 16GB

Last edited:

//DEVIL//

You're talking out of your ass on this one. The consoles have 16GB of unified RAM, that has to be used for everything, including the OS and system functions as well as everything in the game that isn't texture assets and frame buffers and the like.

In a PC with a 12GB card, the OS isn't touching that 12GB, and there's also going to be 16+GB of system RAM for all the other stuff.

Unless you have memory leaks or you're creating massive redundancies, a PC with 12GB of VRAM is going to have a lot more memory overhead than a console.

Unreal Engine 5 is pretty good at streaming assets. It's performance heavy but it's not a VRAM hog like that. The games that have VRAM issues are universally bad console ports that haven't been meaningfully optimized.

Let's be real if we're talking about high end UE5 stuff, everyone is gonna be using DLSS, or you're just and idiot. Native 4K is not a thing that matters anymore, it's just a benchmark point.
Calling people names because I hit a nerve isn't the proper way to respond back. The easier choice is for me to put people like you on ignore because your IQ is in negative to even know how Vram works.

The fact you said UE5 is good at streaming assets alone is enough for me to know you know nothing.

We are done here kid. enjoy your 12 gig card. byez

smbu2000

I have a gaming laptop powered by a 8gb 3060 and I'm more than happy with it

I play on a 1080p monitor, so no worries here

Dont expect to play at 4K with a 8gb card.

But as long as you stick to 1080p, your card will surivve the generation and then some

Specially if you dont mind locking at 30 fps
Don’t mobile rtx3060 laptops have 6GB of vram? I used to have one and it had 6GB on it.
https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/geforce-rtx-3060-mobile.c3757

It’s a shame that mobile gpus are also shipping with lower vram amounts compared to desktops. Mobile 4070 only has 8GB? At least you get 12GB on the desktop version.

Anyway, 8GB was a nice jump for Nvidia when they included it on their 1070/1080 cards. A jump from the 4GB 980/6GB 980ti. Since then (besides the 11GB 1080ti) they’ve really stagnated on vram size.

Definitely should avoided if possible. I nearly went for a 4070ti, but the 12GB of vram really put me off on the card. (Coming from a 10GB 3080)

Fabieter

I hate nvidia for gimpimg the 3000 series with ram. Their tech is clearly superior to amd but their 3000 series should have had 12gb at the absolut minimum.

Hudo

At least for work, 8 GB is a no-go. For play, well, I guess if you're ok with 1080p?. But it is embarrassing that Nvidia are still selling new cards with 8GB of VRAM for more than $100. It'd be akin to Intel still selling dual core CPUs.

Senua

Being smart with settings my 1080 is still fine with all new games at 1080p, games look fabulous and run smooth.

Would I buy a new card with the same amount of VRAM as my card from over 7 years ago?

Its Friday GIF by HBO Max

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Being smart with settings my 1080 is still fine with all new games at 1080p, games look fabulous and run smooth.

Would I buy a new card with the same amount of VRAM as my card from over 7 years ago?

Its Friday GIF by HBO Max
Alot of my IRL friends have 2060Ss and 3060Tis.
8GB no issues they obviously dont play at 4K Ultra settings with Raytracing, but they still dont see a reason to get a 40 series card.

People just need to manage their settings.......but realistically you shouldnt be buying anything under the 4070 if you are purchasing new.

Skifi28

Trying to look at things positively, if you're gaming at 720p you should be fine!

Last edited:
Top Bottom