• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How Concord can (theoretically) succeed...

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
https%3A%2F%2Fcdn.cnn.com%2Fcnnnext%2Fdam%2Fassets%2F200128114911-01-space-shuttle-challenger-restricted.jpg

(Photo of Concords reveal at yesterdays State of Play)

The internet has been deservingly rough on Concords debut. Instead of piling on, I thought it might be more interesting to envision a scenario where Concord succeeds and grab a foothold in the market. There's 3 core pillars in what makes a compelling multiplayer title...

PlayStyle asymmetry - We saw gameplay from the perspective of 5 characters. Vale (Sniper, Proxy mine), Lennox (Pistol, Axe), Haymar (Crossbow, Flashbang), Star Child (Grenade launcher, Hulk leap), and 1-Off (Vacuum gun, launch pad). I suspect what they're going with here is a MOBA like setup where each character has specific roles (warden, anchor, ranger, breacher, tactician) as well as a primary, secondary, utility, and movement abilities. From my perspective, they all played relatively similarly and the asymmetry is nothing to write home about. Here's what they have to say about on the PlayStation Blog...

"While our core gunplay will feel familiar to shooter fans, the versatility and variety of each Freegunner and their abilities makes it so aim and thumbskill alone aren’t always enough to come out on top. Each Freegunner’s abilities are designed to make it so that players of a wide range of skill levels and play styles can be effective—even those that are new to the genre—while providing additional challenge and depth for those looking for high-stakes, high-sweat competitive play."

That quote is significantly more interesting than the gameplay we saw. The trailer did not showcase anything special about playstyle asymmetry more than what's already standard in the industry. If Concord is going to launch, the other 11 characters really need to play and feel vastly different than the 5 that were showcased.

Progression - Games that make the player feel like they're progressing from hour 100 to hour 300 have a massive competitive advantage over games that start to feel repetitive at hour 30. At this point, we know nothing about Concords progression. Here's what they mention on the blog...

"The Freegunners roam the stars taking high-stakes jobs on worlds across Wild space, where they face other fiercely competitive Freegunner crews. From match-to-match, you’ll form your team of Freegunners with other players and battle it out with rival crews to take home the reward across a variety of maps and modes."

If Firewalk can legitimately create "high-stakes" jobs, meaning the player will lose a lot if they fail (think Escape from Tarkov), then they could have something interesting. If the stakes boil down to something like Overwatch, where your rank goes up or down slightly after every match, the game will wallow. It's possible that Firewalk is doing something interesting with the ships, though the fact that everyone ship is called "The Northstar" doesn't fill me with confidence.

Social Aspect - Humans are the most social animal on earth. A game that encourages social interactions has a distinct advantage over one that doesn't. The theme of Concord (Guardians of the Galaxy) certainly lends itself to players getting to know one another, and the gameplay is slow enough to encourage teamplay tactics...so they might have something here. It's possible the trailer was meant to be a Michael Bay action movie where the public is supposed to be wowed by chaos and the actual gameplay is much more teamwork oriented.

I also don't think the Sweet Baby Incification will hurt the games chances. Multiplayer gamers are better equipped to ignore that stuff if the gameplay is there. The weekly cutscenes sound lame as hell, but we'll almost certainly be able to ignore them. Still, unless I'm missing something, it seems like a crazy poor use of resources for a PvP multiplayer game. We'll be seeimg more of this at Geoff Keighlys Summer Game Fest so hopefully the debut trailer was just poorly executed.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Lol fuck me, for 2 days i confused concord with marathon :messenger_pensive:

So this is the firewalk game, not bungie.

It looked a bit too shit to be a bungie game now that i think about it :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:
The success or failure of Concord isn't going to be judged based on a gameplay trailer. If it has a successful beta, it's going to have a successful launch, if it has a successful launch it's anyone's bet.

People pretending that this is DOA before ever playing it are fooling themselves.

I think the biggest question mark which is either a major red flag or a major sign of strength is that the beta is limited to those who pre-order (and their 4 friends).

I think we know it isn't going to be F2P, so the next question is going to be what is the price of the game and how do they justify the price of the game against Apex Legends, Valorant, and Overwatch 2, all of which are free to play. This will almost certainly limit their player base or at least it should in theory.

tmlDan

It looked a bit too shit to be a bungie game now that i think about it :lollipop_grinning_sweat:
they have a bunch of ex-bungie devs thats why the first person view looks really similar to Destiny lol

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
The success or failure of Concord isn't going to be judged based on a gameplay trailer. If it has a successful beta, it's going to have a successful launch, if it has a successful launch it's anyone's bet.

People pretending that this is DOA before ever playing it are fooling themselves.

I think the biggest question mark which is either a major red flag or a major sign of strength is that the beta is limited to those who pre-order (and their 4 friends).

I think we know it isn't going to be F2P, so the next question is going to be what is the price of the game and how do they justify the price of the game against Apex Legends, Valorant, and Overwatch 2, all of which are free to play. This will almost certainly limit their player base or at least it should in theory.
They do have a "Free Agents" section in the trailer which points to weekly hero rotations, popularized by F2P game League of Legends. I could see a full priced version where you get all characters and a free to play version where you're stuck with the weekly Free Agents.

Change your avatar back to the concord to show your faith in this product?
3f0f7925-74a9-446c-a39b-1ef8e50e38b2_text.gif

Xyphie

I don't understand how nobody at Sony realized that the response to this game would be "lol Fauxverwatch" and basically realized that their #1 PR priority would be to manage that messaging. I think the game really needs to be F2P with supergenerous monetization to build some sort of community trust and momentum. They also really should've just shadowdropped into a free open beta for the game directly after the announcement, now the situation is just going to fester and worsen for them until the game is available.

Hugare

I did the same

Imagine wasting Bungie with some 5x5 pvp game. I was flaberggasted.

But nah, Marathon will probably be much more ambitious

The game seems to be developed properly in terms of concept and gameplay mechanics, I don't see a problem there.

Golden rules they should pay attention to avoid the flopp:

> A reasonable price
> Solution for Steam PSN account shit
> Solo player friendly modes like TDM, Domination, Free for All
> Proper communication and feedback with players during beta
> A major global marketing campaign with Sony support

Last edited:

T4keD0wN

Did any of the "Mom, we got *insert game at home" ever succeed?

If it wasnt for your post id still think its a Bungie game lmao. These GAAS feel all the same.

March Climber

Gold Member
If two team based arena shooters fail then the studio making an open world extraction shooter should pivot hard.
Unfortunately, yes. Maybe if Tarkov continues to shoot itself in the foot they have a chance, but the trend I've been seeing lately is a live service game that takes 5 or more years to develop and release being treated like a fast food meal and tossed aside.

That should be worrying.

Last edited:
It can succeed if it's fun to play. If it's not fun or feels just ok it will fail. Don't give it much of a chance from what I saw but I'll need to play before I can really judge. I do like hero shooters and Overwatch 2 kind of ruined itself as my go to hero shooter ever since they got rid of the 2 tanks and now Rein sucks. I didn't think the 2 tanks thing was such a big deal at first but the more and more I play the more I realize how much it kind of ruins the game.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Since you are going tasteless (surprise) why use the Challenger disaster image and not the Concorde?
I have a rule where I wait a minimum of 35 years before joking about disasters. The Concorde crash is too soon. That would be ill befitting.

Yea was going to post this too. Pretty stupid to post a Pic where astronauts are getting killed and try to make a joke of it in relation to some shitty video game. Do better bud.
Ouch, I just got Jason Shreiered by a fellow NeoGAFian.

Did any of the "Mom, we got *insert game at home" ever succeed?
Mom, we have PUBG at home (Fortnite)"

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Unfortunately, yes. Maybe if Tarkov continues to shoot itself in the foot they have a chance, but the trend I've been seeing lately is a live service game that takes 5 or more years to develop and release being treated like a fast food meal and tossed aside.

That should be worrying.
Nah, I think arena shooters and extraction shooters are different enough. Bungie should be paying attention to Tarkov and little else.

I also don't think the Sweet Baby Incification will hurt the games chances. Multiplayer gamers are better equipped to ignore that stuff if the gameplay is there. The weekly cutscenes sound lame as hell, but we'll almost certainly be able to ignore them. Still, unless I'm missing something, it seems like a crazy poor use of resources for a PvP multiplayer game. We'll be seeimg more of this at Geoff Keighlys Summer Game Fest so hopefully the debut trailer was just poorly executed.
I can't disagree with anything you said, it's pretty reasonable.

I'm just honestly baffled by how boring the characters look... I'm not joking, this game has the most boring character designs I ever seen in any video game, ever.

There's no personality in them whatsoever. Even if the gameplay is good, who will I even play as?

fluxflashor_20240530181119.webp

Like, look at them, dude. Just mind-numbingly boring...

(I won't go on about how 90% of the characters are black, we know, Sweet Baby, their form of diversity is also mind-numbingly boring)

Last edited:

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
It won’t succeed. Gameplay looked terrible, too much “woke” stuff for most people.
What woke stuff? I missed it in the showcase yesterday.

> A reasonable price
That's the key, I think. Free or $40 like Helldivers 2.

> Solo player friendly modes like TDM, Domination, Free for All
This is also what made The Finals kind of stumble after a strong launch.

They also need to go hard on figuring out anti cheat from day 1.

Kilau

I have a rule where I wait a minimum of 35 years before joking about disasters. The Concorde crash is too soon. That would be ill befitting.

I didn't say it was too soon, I said it was tasteless. No matter how long after, using the moment people died to make a stupid joke about a video game reveal will always be tasteless. Did you even know it was the Challenger disaster? Maybe you just googled rocket explosion and went with it. Plenty of non fatal rocket failures you could have picked in those results.

DaGwaphics

It won’t succeed. Gameplay looked terrible, too much “woke” stuff for most people.

I don't get the "woke" and "anti-woke" bit for the most part to begin with, but what exactly about that trailer and gameplay was "woke".

We've got a rule-breaking seat of the pants type that appears to be a lizard man or something, so, I don't see where anything racial comes into play. Seems to be a good mix of male and female characters also, so, gender doesn't seem to be the problem. I don't get it. 🤷‍♂️ It just looks like a generic hero team vs. hero team to me. In what way do people even think that the characters will even matter here outside of their specific in-game abilities?

The game seems like it is open to major criticism for looking unoriginal/generic but other than that I don't get it.

I don't get the "woke" and "anti-woke" bit for the most part to begin with, but what exactly about that trailer and gameplay was "woke".

We've got a rule-breaking seat of the pants type that appears to be a lizard man or something, so, I don't see where anything racial comes into play. Seems to be a good mix of male and female characters also, so, gender doesn't seem to be the problem. I don't get it. 🤷‍♂️ It just looks like a generic hero team vs. hero team to me. In what way do people even think that the characters will even matter here outside of their specific in-game abilities?

The game seems like it is open to major criticism for looking unoriginal/generic but other than that I don't get it.

Lol If woke had a mascot this would be it. They ran out of room because they ticked so many boxes

Top Bottom